Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ray lewis gets a statue

CR91

Ray Lewis was a great LB destined to become a HOF player. I have a ton of respect for Sugar Ray. Congratulations. 

I have one question though: If he is a great player, is he P.O. today? Just Kidding! [it's a joke or play on his inspirational speech to get "P.O. for greatness."]

He's come a long way from an alleged murder murder trial participant to a beloved ambassador of the NFL. His 2000 Ravens were spectacular in dismantling the NY Giants in the SB. That defense was deadly baby. 

Happy for you man. This honor couldn't happen to a nicer guy & defensive stud. Bravo sir. Bravo!  I imagine his number will be retired soon too as it should be. 

I never liked the guy all the way back to Miami. I think it's a disgrace that the Ravens saw fit to erect a statue of him outside of their stadium. For those that support this I never what to see a post talking about a team or players lack of morals.

Ray Lewis was a great LB destined to become a HOF player. I have a ton of respect for Sugar Ray. Congratulations. 

I have one question though: If he is a great player, is he P.O. today? Just Kidding! [it's a joke or play on his inspirational speech to get "P.O. for greatness."]

He's come a long way from an alleged murder murder trial participant to a beloved ambassador of the NFL. His 2000 Ravens were spectacular in dismantling the NY Giants in the SB. That defense was deadly baby. 

Happy for you man. This honor couldn't happen to a nicer guy & defensive stud. Bravo sir. Bravo!  I imagine his number will be retired soon too as it should be.

There is only one sugar ray and his last name is Robinson

It is well deserved for Ray as a player. He was one of the greatest. Certainly , the Raven 's organization and fans owe him a lot. Unfortunately , as we've recently discussed with other NFL people, his legacy will include his indiscretions in Atlanta. As I hope for the others, Ray overcame this mistake, and moved onto a Hall of Fame career. When Peyton finally retires , it should take about 24 hours to put up a statue of him in Indy. Like Unitas with the old Colts, and Ray with the Ravens, Manning made the Indy Colts what they are today.

As far as a football player Lewis is no question one of the best who ever played the game. With that in mind exactly when did he find religion? Was that when his charges were pending? Was that during the trial? It's funny how the jail will bring out religion in a lot of people. Happens everyday at every jail in America. So Lewis turned on his buddy's and took a plea. Then paid for their lawyers. The victims blood was found in the limo but Ray got rid of his cloths. I know he is not legally guilty of a crime but this reeks of a cover up. JMO. Just ask Tatyana McCall's family if they think Ray killed their daughter earlier in his life. Funny when you get two strikes out against you all of a sudden God enters the picture. I for one don't believe in coincidence so it is what it is. Just my thoughts and opinions.

It is well deserved for Ray as a player. He was one of the greatest. Certainly , the Raven 's organization and fans owe him a lot. Unfortunately , as we've recently discussed with other NFL people, his legacy will include his indiscretions in Atlanta. As I hope for the others, Ray overcame this mistake, and moved onto a Hall of Fame career. When Peyton finally retires , it should take about 24 hours to put up a statue of him in Indy. Like Unitas with the old Colts, and Ray with the Ravens, Manning made the Indy Colts what they are today.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Sorry but Ray's indiscretions did not start in Atlanta. He may be legend in Baltimore and the media hounds but there is a long list of people who know a different side of Mr. Lewis that the public never sees. Ray may have found God and has been forgiven on that aspect but the people his indiscretions have effected are not so forgiving. It is all public record so it is what it is. I just find it hard to immortalize him in any capacity. Just my opinion.

There is only one sugar ray and his last name is Robinson

Touche. Tell that to HOF CB Deion Sanders then because he called Ray Lewis "Sugar" all the time on NFL Network.  ;)

No disrespect to Mr. Robinson, but I could care less about boxing. I don't follow the sport period, but I know of him. 

Yeah I don't see it happening. I'm sure he will have hung them up by the time half of the season passes.

I'm not sure if you watched Inside the NFL last night. But Ed was on as a guest host. Boomer esisan basically told him he was terrible the last two seasons and should hang them up. I wanted Ed to body slam him, but he laughed it off

I'm not sure if you watched Inside the NFL last night. But Ed was on as a guest host. Boomer esisan basically told him he was terrible the last two seasons and should hang them up. I wanted Ed to body slam him, but he laughed it off

Lol yeah I saw that after the Seahawks special and was shocked at how blunt Esiason was. Then again he has always been one to run his mouth too much. I understand why Ed handled it professionally though, he has too much class to fire back, especially on air.

Sorry but Ray's indiscretions did not start in Atlanta. He may be legend in Baltimore and the media hounds but there is a long list of people who know a different side of Mr. Lewis that the public never sees. Ray may have found God and has been forgiven on that aspect but the people his indiscretions have effected are not so forgiving. It is all public record so it is what it is. I just find it hard to immortalize him in any capacity. Just my opinion.

I understand your cynicism of celebrities suddenly finding religion after a crisis. I couldn't answer that question, as to Mr. Lewis's sincerity with his religious beliefs,  only Mr. Lewis can. You will notice I said the statue was warranted as a player, but as you well know, Johnny Unitas is my hero, not Mr. Lewis. He was a great player, but I look to Johnny U, and Brooks and Frank Robinson as my heroes. Their records are clean as a freshly starched shirt. I'm not sure what happened that night in Atlanta, but it wasn't good.

Lol yeah I saw that after the Seahawks special and was shocked at how blunt Esiason was. Then again he has always been one to run his mouth too much. I understand why Ed handled it professionally though, he has too much class to fire back, especially on air.

I like Boomer, as he was a Maryland Terp, but he kind of stunk with the Jets also late in his career. He must have forgotten to mention that.

Yeah, I saw that too & I was like bleep you Boomer. I like Ed lay off caboose hole. But, then part of me admired how direct he was as well. The whole incident was kind of funny how it all unfolded. 

I think character matters.  If character didn't matter then Joe Paterno's statue would still be standing based solely on the accomplishments and statistics of his career on the field.

Yes, I know, I know, one had to do with child abuse cover up for years, the other an alleged murder.  But, character is character.  I think the Ravens can find someone more worthy of a statue eventually who isn't such a controversial figure.

I think character matters.  If character didn't matter then Joe Paterno's statue would still be standing based solely on the accomplishments and statistics of his career on the field.

Yes, I know, I know, one had to do with child abuse cover up for years, the other an alleged murder.  But, character is character.  I think the Ravens can find someone more worthy of a statue eventually who isn't such a controversial figure.

Well stated SC1. I may joke around a lot but at the end of the day I do respect how far Ray Lewis has come as a football player, a model citizen, & a father. Lewis just proves it's not where you start that counts it's where you finish in life that matters. I like people with a dark cloud in their past who redeem themselves. Ray is a great man with a good head on his shoulders who has nothing to be ashamed of.