Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Loucheiz Purifoy Project, and why it could work

BlueShoe

Let me first preface this thread by stating that most Colts fans understand that Purifoy is a character risk, and his character along with poor 40 times are why he was not drafted.

There has been a very tangible change happening on the Colts roster over the span of the Grigson and Pagano regime, and that is player height. This is very noticeable when we look at how tall our offensive line is now, but let’s examine the defensive backs for a moment.

Davis, Vontae 5-11 204
Landry, LaRon 6-0 226
Butler, Darius 5-10 188
Toler, Greg 6-0 190
Gordy, Josh 5-11 196
Howell, Delano 5-11 197
Brown, Sergio 6-2 218
Lynch, Corey 6-0 210
Purifoy, Loucheiz 6-1 189
Cox, Qua 6-0 185
Anderson, Colt 5-10 194
McDonald, Dewey 6-0 220
Sims, David 5-10 210
Price, Sheldon 6-2 186
Burley, Marcus 5-10 185
Jackson, Kameron 5-9 175
Lyn, Keon 6-1 190

12 of the 17 defensive backs on the roster are 5’11” or taller. This is much different than our Tampa2 days when most of our cornerbacks were hovering anywhere from 5’8” to 5’11”.

Welcome to the age of the tall Colts corner.

Now obviously it would be very foolish to compare the skill-sets of Sherman and Purifoy, at this time; however, we can see that the speed is very similar. That said, Purifoy did get some playing time as a receiver for the Gators. Sound familiar?

Combine Results:
Richard Sherman ran a 4.56 forty.
Loucheiz Purifoy ran a 4.61 forty.

Entering the 2013 season, Purifoy was considered one of the top corners in the country, and many experts predicted he would be a high first round pick. What a difference a year can make, right?

Purifoy can add immediate playmaking ability on Special Teams. As a gunner in his freshman year led the Gators in special teams tackles and recorded 3 forced fumbles. In his collegiate career he was given credit for 2 blocked kicks, and also has experience returning kicks. Special Teams is a perfect way to make it onto a 53 man roster.

Pagano’s bread and butter is the defensive backfield. Look no further than Butler, who was an underachiever before landing a gig with the Colts. He washed out in New England and Carolina before finding the right coaching staff to help him evolve. Pagano has a way of bringing out natural talent in defensive backs.

If Purifoy can stay out of trouble, he could very well find his way onto the 53 man roster.

Let me first preface this thread by stating that most Colts fans understand that Purifoy is a character risk...

I am not concerned with his character. I'm concerned with his talent. The jury is still out whether or not he has starting NFL CB talent. Nevertheless, I am excited to see if Pagano, Manusky & Alan Williams can turn him into something more than a sucide-squad player-preseason cut.

I am not concerned with his character. I'm concerned with his talent. The jury is still out whether or not he has starting NFL CB talent. Nevertheless, I am excited to see if Pagano, Manusky & Alan Williams can turn him into something more than a Sucide Squad player/Preseason cut.

Character issues aside (and there are a lot), the 2012 Purifoy showed promise. The 2013 Purifoy was routinely burned by guys who were drafted this year.

Which one do we have?

Character issues aside (and there are a lot), the 2012 Purifoy showed promise. The 2013 Purifoy was routinely burned by guys who were drafted this year.

Which one do we have?

Right.

I don't know much about him but my girlfriend is a die-hard Gators fan and according to her, he sucks. And she's not the normal girlfriend-football fan. This lady knows her football.

With that said, when he played on a dominant Gators defense, he thrived. But when the D suffered last year, he did as well.

I suspect -dont know- it probably had a lot to do with Florida's Defensive front. I'm assuming it was better in 2012 and then fell off last year. And as a result, the backfield players were left exposed.

If that's the case - and Arthur Jones and the rest of our Dline and LBs perform as advertised - we may well have landed a good one.

I don't know if this will change anyone's thinking on Purifoy.....

I know that the Colts list him at 6'1" and 190....

But the websites I visit have his combine numbers.....

He's 5'11 1/2" and 190.      Why the Colts have his height wrong, I don't know?

Just wanted to put that out there.....    otherwise,  carry on!

I think he can bring that swagger our defense needs. the im gonna tell you we're gonna kick your butt, kick your butt, and then remind them loudly we kicked your butt attitude. we need that type of confidence to be dominant 

I don't know if this will change anyone's thinking on Purifoy.....

I know that the Colts list him at 6'1" and 190....

But the websites I visit have his combine numbers.....

He's 5'11 1/2" and 190. Why the Colts have his height wrong, I don't know?

Just wanted to put that out there..... otherwise, carry on!

New intimidation tactic we're using this season

Rumor has it we'll list Andrew at 300lbs. Imagine the fear we'll put into defenses who have to bring down a 300lb QB!!! They already struggle to get him down now, boy oh boy

:thmup:

Guy sucked this last year, ran his forty slower than some linebackers, and has very questionable character. I wouldn't look for a guy with questionable effort and sub par speed to be a gunner on Special Teams. Those are the two most important traits to make it on ST. 

I hope he gets his crap together and becomes a stud, but I have my reservations.

Right.

I don't know much about him but my girlfriend is a die-hard Gators fan and according to her, he sucks. And she's not the normal girlfriend-football fan. This lady knows her football.

Sounds like she knows football to me he has a better chance of ending up in prison than playing in the NFL in my opinion you can only turn informant so many times I just can't wait until he is gone

Just wandering what the character issues are?

Possession of pot not a  big deal. Then on to possession of narcotics and turning police informant I stopped there that was enough for me any one who would rather snitch on friends than take responsibility  for their action not someone I am interested in not mention he sucked in 2013 and went undrafted

I am sure if you googled his name there is plenty more

I think he can bring that swagger our defense needs. the im gonna tell you we're gonna kick your butt, kick your butt, and then remind them loudly we kicked your butt attitude. we need that type of confidence to be dominant 

You have to be able to play to do that have you seen him play? Didn't watch much SEC last year I take it

If you are a UDFA DB Indy is a good place to be. Not having much depth i really dont see how a couple of these UDFA's dont make the roster.

I really like Purifoy's upside if he can stay out of trouble of course. Hes just as talented as anyone else past Davis that we have at the corner position.

Sounds like she knows football to me he has a better chance of ending up in prison than playing in the NFL in my opinion you can only turn informant so many times I just can't wait until he is gone

Could you possibly harp on his supposed informant days anymore? When we signed him you brought it up ad nauseam and now another thread on him and what a surprise to see you disparaging him some more.

I hope he makes the team and does well, just for you.

Could you possibly harp on his supposed informant days anymore? When we signed him you brought it up ad nauseam and now another thread on him and what a surprise to see you disparaging him some more.

I hope he makes the team and does well, just for you.

It really rubs me the wrong way. The guy asked a question I answered it. IT is not a supposed informant thing he turned informant and his troubles went away. I worked for Department of Corrections I know what that means. I know how it works it is more of entrapment than anything. Take some personal responsibility.

If he makes the team he was one of the best 53 players I am all about putting the best players on the field. I just haven't seen anything that makes me think that will happen. If he wears a horseshoe I will cheer for the dude. Do I like him no. I think he a low life piece of crap.  Is he a snitch? Yes.

I will continue to share my opinion on Purifoy if you find it disparaging sorry but it is all true not like I am making things up about the guy.

It really rubs me the wrong way. The guy asked a question I answered it. IT is not a supposed informant thing he turned informant and his troubles went away. I worked for Department of Corrections I know what that means. I know how it works it is more of entrapment than anything. Take some personal responsibility.

If he makes the team he was one of the best 53 players I am all about putting the best players on the field. I just haven't seen anything that makes me think that will happen. If he wears a horseshoe I will cheer for the dude. Do I like him no. I think he a low life piece of crap. Is he a snitch? Yes.

I will continue to share my opinion on Purifoy if you find it disparaging sorry but it is all true not like I am making things up about the guy.

Do you know him at all? No.

Are you projecting your own skewed views of the "typical" informant onto him? Yes.

Am I happy that I gave you another opportunity to disparage a person that you don't even know? Not so much.

You sound more like someone who was informed on in the past than someone who worked for corrections. But, if true your problem seems to be more with corrections for offering such a deal.

Are you projecting your own skewed views of the "typical" informant onto him? Yes.

Am I happy that I gave you another opportunity to disparage a person that you don't even know? Not so much.

You sound more like someone who was informed on in the past than someone who worked for corrections. But, if true your problem seems to be more with corrections for offering such a deal.

I will admit I think it is crap that corrections offer that deal I have worked with a lot of inmates who got caught up in controlled buys. The jails are filled with them.

I have no history of being caught myself you have to pass an intensive background check to work for DOC

No I don't know him only about as well as you do but I can read a person's history and form opinions. I have a little insight of how that stuff works when it comes to informants. MICS 4 charges don't just go away. 

We will see I would be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster. A little more light reading. This doens't really even hold him to the informant bit.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/5/11/5707056/loucheiz-purifoy-marcus-roberson-undrafted-udfa-2014-nfl-draft

I will admit I think it is crap that corrections offer that deal I have worked with a lot of inmates who got caught up in controlled buys. The jails are filled with them.

I have no history of being caught myself you have to pass an intensive background check to work for DOC

No I don't know him only about as well as you do but I can read a person's history and form opinions. I have a little insight of how that stuff works when it comes to informants. MICS 4 charges don't just go away.

We will see I would be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster. A little more light reading. This doens't really even hold him to the informant bit.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/5/11/5707056/loucheiz-purifoy-marcus-roberson-undrafted-udfa-2014-nfl-draft

That's all well said and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. It's just that when we signed him you made it overtly clear that you think he's a scumbag. I think you went overboard is all.

He made boneheaded mistakes in the past but that does not mean he is doomed to a life of boneheadedness.

"You sound more like someone who was informed on in the past than someone who worked for corrections." But, if true your problem seems to be more with corrections for offering such a deal.

Well now who is projecting?

If he makes the team he was one of the best 53 players I am all about putting the best players on the field. I just haven't seen anything that makes me think that will happen. If he wears a horseshoe I will cheer for the dude. Do I like him no. I think he a low life piece of crap.  Is he a snitch? Yes.

QFT

That's all well said and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. It's just that when we signed him you made it overtly clear that you think he's a scumbag. I think you went overboard is all.

He made boneheaded mistakes in the past but that does not mean he is doomed to a life of boneheadedness.

This best way to predict future behaviors is to look at past behaviors. This kid would rather throw people under the bus than take responsibility for his actions and that is just the one case we know about. Do people deserve second chances of course if they earned them. Part of earning them is manning up to your mistakes.

We got him 2 days after the draft pretty obvious his door wasn't being knocked down with offers. And he really isn't that good according to what I have seen and read. He wasn't even a full time starter for Florida

Shared reps as a junior. Needs to get functionally stronger to jam/re-route and shed blocks. Produced just six reps on the 225-pound bench-press test, lowest among all defensive backs at the combine. Did not run well at the combine, recording below-average times in the 4.6s. Gives up separation at the break point and gets outmuscled at the catch point. Inconsistent, leaky, underpowered tackler. Instincts and anticipation are lacking. Technique needs to be coached up -- opens the gate and gets beat off the snap. Leaves production on the field -- in position, but doesnt make the play. Questionable tackle and ball production -- registered just 24 tackles as a junior and logged just 12 PBUs and two INTs from 2012-13. Marginal run strength as a returner.

To say I was disappointed we gave this kid a chance is an understatement. He didn't earn it on or off the field. I thought it was a bit disgraceful for him to be in a horseshoe  that is my opinion. The kids I am pulling for are Cox, McDonald, Lyn, and Kerr on D.

This best way to predict future behaviors is to look at past behaviors. This kid would rather throw people under the bus than take responsibility for his actions and that is just the one case we know about. Do people deserve second chances of course if they earned them. Part of earning them is manning up to your mistakes.

We got him 2 days after the draft pretty obvious his door wasn't being knocked down with offers. And he really isn't that good according to what I have seen and read. He wasn't even a full time starter for Florida

Shared reps as a junior. Needs to get functionally stronger to jam/re-route and shed blocks. Produced just six reps on the 225-pound bench-press test, lowest among all defensive backs at the combine. Did not run well at the combine, recording below-average times in the 4.6s. Gives up separation at the break point and gets outmuscled at the catch point. Inconsistent, leaky, underpowered tackler. Instincts and anticipation are lacking. Technique needs to be coached up -- opens the gate and gets beat off the snap. Leaves production on the field -- in position, but doesnt make the play. Questionable tackle and ball production -- registered just 24 tackles as a junior and logged just 12 PBUs and two INTs from 2012-13. Marginal run strength as a returner.

To say I was disappointed we gave this kid a chance is an understatement. He didn't earn it on or off the field. I thought it was a bit disgraceful for him to be in a horseshoe  that is my opinion. The kids I am pulling for are Cox, McDonald, Lyn, and Kerr on D.

Yes, we all are more than clear on your stance. I'm happy I gave you more opportunities to continue to hammer your thoughts on him home.

He's a UDFA which makes him literally no risk and possibly high reward. Lighten up.

I hope he does well because he is a colt but I see nothing that give me optimism he'll make the ps or ever have a impact . He's to slow and weak to play press man D below average tackling and seems to loose his man way to often .  

It's both. Pretty obvious youre only saying that because you do not agree with his opinion and are trying to discredit him/make him look bad.

Maybe that's how it comes off but that wasn't my intent. The fact that he had to slam home how horrible Purifoy was for being an informant/rat/snitch any time Purifoy was mentioned just rang of someone who was wronged by an informant to me. He since has explained that's not the case.

Honestly, I'd be much more worried about what put him in the position to be an informant, rather than the fact he was an informant.

So if he did six months rather than cutting a deal, would that make him less objectionable to you? I just don't get why him being an informant is such a big deal. I'm much more concerned with the reason he was in that situation to begin with, and the fact that he apparently reneged on the informant responsibilities. It seems weird that you're so bothered by the informant thing...

He's a UDFA. We can poke all kinds of holes in his game and most often in these situations, his character. That's why he's a UDFA. He's not the future of our team; he's a long shot to make the final roster. But he has some game, and he might be a good add. I just don't get your crusade against him, given his status and the lack of any real risk to the team.

So if he did six months rather than cutting a deal, would that make him less objectionable to you? I just don't get why him being an informant is such a big deal. I'm much more concerned with the reason he was in that situation to begin with, and the fact that he apparently reneged on the informant responsibilities. It seems weird that you're so bothered by the informant thing...

He's a UDFA. We can poke all kinds of holes in his game and most often in these situations, his character. That's why he's a UDFA. He's not the future of our team; he's a long shot to make the final roster. But he has some game, and he might be a good add. I just don't get your crusade against him, given his status and the lack of any real risk to the team.

You're more gooder with words than I. Thanks, this is how I feel as well.

Yea I would have been less objectionable to that. For me it is really just about being accountable for your actions. Like I said I have no problems with second chances my problem is he would rather sell someone else out than stand up and say he I messed up I am willing to take the consequences for this mistake. Then you add all the other indiscretions on top of it top that with what appears to be not much talent just thought we could do without those kinds of people.

What if Mathis has said hey I can give you 4 guys on juice if you let me slide on this it was an accident blah blah would you feel the same about him?

I was raised to be accountable for what I do. I know it is 2014 and accountability is slowly becoming a thing of the past but that is how I was raised. 

L. Purifoy will not make the 53 man roster this year...I can almost guarantee it. Why, you might ask? 

If you look at recent history, there is a clear indication in the coaching staff to bring in a questionable character but high talent kinda guy for experimental purposes.... L.P. has got a good ceiling but he is pretty raw at this point, not to mention the fact that his off the field issues are much worse than D. Roger's past stuff. 

The competition for the 5th corner slot is very very competitive this year and my pick (which I think will happen) is Qua Cox. Guy is big...got great speed and good coverage skills. Got the right attitude and has that defensive back "cocky and full of swagger" mindset that coaches like to see. The only downside is the quality of the opponents that he played in college and how he can learn the NFL way... Man can play special teams as well.. But to all those that say that the 5th corner is just a special teams position are wrong. Look at last year: Toler was hurt in a lot of games and I am not convinced that will change. Coaches shouldn't play Butler on the outside cause thats not his skillset. Gordy is the only back-up that can play outside so I think the 5th man will get some playing time. And at this point, I trust Qua Cox more than I trust L.P. to hold that valuable roster spot. 

THAT BEING SAID....L.P. has the capability to be a great player but he needs to get stashed away on our PS this year (no one will grab him this year trust me) and let him mature, off the field and on the field, and then see where he is next season when he actually makes the team. 

Yea I would have been less objectionable to that. For me it is really just about being accountable for your actions. Like I said I have no problems with second chances my problem is he would rather sell someone else out than stand up and say he I messed up I am willing to take the consequences for this mistake. Then you add all the other indiscretions on top of it top that with what appears to be not much talent just thought we could do without those kinds of people.

What if Mathis has said hey I can give you 4 guys on juice if you let me slide on this it was an accident blah blah would you feel the same about him?

I was raised to be accountable for what I do. I know it is 2014 and accountability is slowly becoming a thing of the past but that is how I was raised. 

Your first paragraph is something I just fundamentally disagree with. There's nothing honorable -- IMO -- about declining an option to get yourself out of trouble. Being accountable for your actions doesn't mean you just roll with the punches when you have a chance to make things easier. He didn't get someone else to take the fall for him. He was offered a deal, and he took it. I have no problem with that. Especially since we're only talking about possession, not violent crimes, not taking money from other people, etc. 

The details, from what I've read, make it seem like the authorities in this situation were looking for a way to give Purifoy a break. There was an investigation on why his warrants went away, making me think that someone was trying to sweep this under the rug. I don't put that on Purifoy; I put that on the authorities. I might be missing some details...

But if I have it right, this is much different than Mathis saying "if you let me off, I'll roll on other guys." It seems like Purifoy accepted an offer, not that he offered other guys up. And from the little I know about how authorities deal with drug situations, they always seem to want the bigger fish, so to speak. Not the guy who got caught with a personal stash, but the guy who is supplying the stuff. I don't think it's outside the norm for someone to be offered a deal like this.

Now, if Purifoy offered to give up all his friends so that he could stay out of trouble, then that's a different story. That's not what I get from the stories I've read, though. But even if that is what happened, while I'd view it differently, I wouldn't be so concerned with that behavior. A young guy with a promising future in professional sports has a lot of incentive to beat a drug charge, and young guys who get arrested for possession of marijuana and bath salts aren't known for showing good judgment.

I'm pretty much resigned to the thought that this guy lacks good judgment, and has issues with drugs, and if he doesn't fly in an absolutely straight line, then he's out of here. As a UDFA with virtually no guaranteed money, he's basically the 90th man on the roster, and represents basically no risk to our future prospects even if he flames out in spectacular fashion. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is that we had some guys get busted for drug related offenses last year, and the owner is under fire for a drug related offense. From a PR standpoint, it probably would have been better to stay away from someone like Purifoy. But that's all about aesthetics, not anything that will have a tangible effect on the team. The Seahawks have had a ton of drug related offenses, and all they did is win a Super Bowl.

Your first paragraph is something I just fundamentally disagree with. There's nothing honorable -- IMO -- about declining an option to get yourself out of trouble. Being accountable for your actions doesn't mean you just roll with the punches when you have a chance to make things easier. He didn't get someone else to take the fall for him. He was offered a deal, and he took it. I have no problem with that. Especially since we're only talking about possession, not violent crimes, not taking money from other people, etc. 

The details, from what I've read, make it seem like the authorities in this situation were looking for a way to give Purifoy a break. There was an investigation on why his warrants went away, making me think that someone was trying to sweep this under the rug. I don't put that on Purifoy; I put that on the authorities. I might be missing some details...

But if I have it right, this is much different than Mathis saying "if you let me off, I'll roll on other guys." It seems like Purifoy accepted an offer, not that he offered other guys up. And from the little I know about how authorities deal with drug situations, they always seem to want the bigger fish, so to speak. Not the guy who got caught with a personal stash, but the guy who is supplying the stuff. I don't think it's outside the norm for someone to be offered a deal like this.

Now, if Purifoy offered to give up all his friends so that he could stay out of trouble, then that's a different story. That's not what I get from the stories I've read, though. But even if that is what happened, while I'd view it differently, I wouldn't be so concerned with that behavior. A young guy with a promising future in professional sports has a lot of incentive to beat a drug charge, and young guys who get arrested for possession of marijuana and bath salts aren't known for showing good judgment.

I'm pretty much resigned to the thought that this guy lacks good judgment, and has issues with drugs, and if he doesn't fly in an absolutely straight line, then he's out of here. As a UDFA with virtually no guaranteed money, he's basically the 90th man on the roster, and represents basically no risk to our future prospects even if he flames out in spectacular fashion. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is that we had some guys get busted for drug related offenses last year, and the owner is under fire for a drug related offense. From a PR standpoint, it probably would have been better to stay away from someone like Purifoy. But that's all about aesthetics, not anything that will have a tangible effect on the team. The Seahawks have had a ton of drug related offenses, and all they did is win a Super Bowl.

OK

Which one do we have?

I have read some online scouting reports comparing Purifoy to Vontae. I view Vontae as an up-and-down player too. When he is on, he is as good as anyone; however, he has some bad games where he just does not look like he is into the game. 

Your question as to which one we have; we might always ask that question, just as we do with Vontae now. That said, I would enjoy watching 2 Vontae's on the field at the same time. If the player Vontae is today is Purifoy's ceiling then I would take it in a heartbeat. And we got him for nothing.

I'm pretty much resigned to the thought that this guy lacks good judgment, and has issues with drugs, and if he doesn't fly in an absolutely straight line, then he's out of here. As a UDFA with virtually no guaranteed money, he's basically the 90th man on the roster, and represents basically no risk to our future prospects even if he flames out in spectacular fashion. 

He is still just a kid and he has made some big mistakes. These life lessons will either serve as a wake up call or he will continue down the same path, and ultimately give up the NFL dream. Just a year ago he was on top of the world with bright lights ahead of him, 3 years ago he was the #11 recruited corner in the country, and now he is fighting just to have an opportunity to make a team. Character is often measured by the ability to overcome adversity even if it is self-inflicted. 

You have to be able to play to do that have you seen him play? Didn't watch much SEC last year I take it

No I don't watch college football, but I do know he's a good football player. One bad year shouldn't distort his talent