Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner film review

Dustin

To say we are simply trying to copy others is odd. In all honesty they went after Fleener to give Luck a familar target. Richardson was the second pick in the same draft, and having a player who can bat down balls is a good thing to have. We will see exactly what Werner is made of when he sees the field a lot more. I'm optimistic he can flurish with this team.

They drafted Fleener because they thought he was a good TE. The whole "familiar target" talk is just fan nonsense.

People need to understand we didn't draft Werner to be a Watt clone or someone who rushes the passer every play. He is a hybrid who will be able to play all 3 downs. Mathis has been one of my favorite players for years but he is a liability against the run. I think this Werner kid will be a solid football player and those who keep judging him against superstars are being delusional. We are drafting and DEVELOPING big bodied players so we can be a physical smash mouth team. It takes time and people need to learn patience...rookies typically suck...get over it.

To say we are simply trying to copy others is odd. In all honesty they went after Fleener to give Luck a familar target. Richardson was the second pick in the same draft, and having a player who can bat down balls is a good thing to have. We will see exactly what Werner is made of when he sees the field a lot more. I'm optimistic he can flurish with this team.

I found it weird how we went TE back to back, especially when Allen was considered by many to be the better and more complete TE.  I've never bought the familiar target thing because I think you can build that chemistry during the offseason and be fine, especially when you have a guy as hard working as Luck.  If the front office reached for a player simply due to familiarity, that's a bit of a concern for me.  I've always liked Richardson, but I am of the belief that the RB is a plug-and-play position.  You don't need elite talent at RB to win.  Vick Ballard did a pretty solid job for us as a late round pick and I think it would have been better to have kept the first round pick and signed a free agent RB than to trade for T-Rich.  I think Werner has talent, but his talents are more suited to a 4-3 defense than our 3-4. 

I really hope all of these guys can prove me wrong and have great seasons and great careers, but they haven't shown much to be optimistic about (with the exception of Fleener, who is a completely different story).

They drafted Fleener because they thought he was a good TE. The whole "familiar target" talk is just fan nonsense.

No, it's more of a familiar face cause there's no way the front office thought Coby Fleener was better than Dwayne Allen

We landed both so I don't care, but still

No, it's more of a familiar face cause there's no way the front office thought Coby Fleener was better than Dwayne Allen

We landed both so I don't care, but still

That's also crap. Lots of people thought Fleener was a better prospect than Allen.

Fan nonsense, huh? I have every reason to believe that, and his talent both played a roll in Coby being drafted. I remember being here on the forum during the draft... and like a lot of others was hoping they would take him with the second pick. It made sense because the team needed tight ends.

Fan nonsense, huh? I have every reason to believe that, and his talent both played a roll in Coby being drafted. I remember being here on the forum during the draft... and like a lot of others was hoping they would take him with the second pick. It made sense because the team needed tight ends.

Put it this way, being familiar with Luck certainly didn't hurt Fleener but I doubt it was in the Colts FO top 20 reasons for drafting him where they did.

Put it this way, being familiar with Luck certainly didn't hurt Fleener but I doubt it was in the Colts FO top 20 reasons for drafting him where they did.

I'm sure it crossed their minds, and made the pick a much easier one. The Colts had let Dallas Clark go, and Jacob Tamme was gone too. Drafting two tight ends back to back was a smart move because Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen have two different styles. Fleener being more of a receiving TE with a three inch advantage, and Allen was better at blocking. In the first year when Coby was banged up Dwayne flurished... and when Dwayne went down last year Coby likewise stepped up. The two together will be fantastic.

I'm sure it crossed their minds, and made the pick a much easier one. The Colts had let Dallas Clark go, and Jacob Tamme was gone too. Drafting two tight ends back to back was a smart move because Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen have two different styles. Fleener being more of a receiving TE with a three inch advantage, and Allen was better at blocking. In the first year when Coby was banged up Dwayne flurished... and when Dwayne went down last year Coby likewise stepped up. The two together will be fantastic.

Sure it crossed their minds, but, like I said, probably not a top 20 deciding factor.

I don't think they went into the draft thinking they were taking 2 TEs back to back early, as they did, but when Dwayne Allen dropped to us, he was too good to pass up. I'm very happy they did it because I see Allen being a perennial pro bowler and top 5 TE and I expect Fleener to become quite good as well.

It made sense because he was considered a good prospect and the colts needed a TE. And yes, it's fan nonsense.

I've been skeptical of Werner ever since we took him.  The old regime took a 3-4 OLB and forced him to play in a 4-3 (Jerry Hughes) while this regime is doing the opposite, taking a 4-3 DE and making him play 3-4 OLB.  Werner has talent, but our coaching staff really needs to improve how they utilize him to make him effective.  Hopefully, Werner can prove me wrong

Yeah. One of the most confusing 1st round picks in awhile. Not sure why you would force him to do something he's never done before, instead of what he's really good at. It's like buying a Cadillac Escalade and trying to mod it into an off-roading vehicle.

I've never got that vibe from us. Closest thing to that vibe is Chuck Pagano wanting to build a team like he had in Baltimore, just better

Nothing wrong with taking notes from other teams then doing what they do better. But I don't think I've ever gotten the vibe that we're just downright being followers of the NFL

Seems a lot like Baltimore lite since Chuck came in. The forced power run game is a good example. Not sure why they didn't stick with the 4-3 because I'm sure Chuck can coach both.

Yeah. One of the most confusing 1st round picks in awhile. Not sure why you would force him to do something he's never done before, instead of what he's really good at. It's like buying a Cadillac Escalade and trying to mod it into an off-roading vehicle.

Seems a lot like Baltimore lite since Chuck came in. The forced power run game is a good example. Not sure why they didn't stick with the 4-3 because I'm sure Chuck can coach both.

Because, philosophically,  Pagano and Grigson don't believe in the 4-3 as much as they do in the 3-4.....

Who cares?

That's like saying the QB who wins the Heisman must be the best NFL quarterback because he won the Heisman.

College awards rarely mean anything on the NFL level.....

Oh come on! Troy Smith was totally the best player in the 07 draft.

Oh come on! Troy Smith was totally the best player in the 07 draft.

Thank you!

So, inspired by your post, I decided to look at the Heisman winners list...   QB's from the 80's to now...  and the list is impressive....

This is not all the QB's...   but just the one's who won, and then flamed out in the NFL...

Flutie '84

Ware '89

Detmer '90

Toretta '92

Ward   '93

Wuerful '96

Weinke  '00

Crouch  '01

White     '03

Leinart   '04

Smith    '06

Tebow   '07

That's a lot of winners of the most prestigious award in college who went on to accomplish almost nothing in the NFL.

As I said,  college awards rarely mean anything in the NFL....

Just sayin.....

In response to the Fleener/Allen comments.

Fleener was considered the better prospect.  There was talk of the NYG taking him in the late first round.  Allen was never talked about in the first round.

Allen posted a bad 40 time at the combine, and was considered slower (and shorter) than what teams want in the new-fangled way they use TE's....a guy with height and speed to run down the seam, or go high in the end zone.

Fleener may not have been the best all-around TE when he was drafted, but he was thought to be the best TE at doing those two important things (big plays in the passing game)...hence...the best TE in the draft.

Fleener and Werner were two very good draft picks,....and I'm not sure that the constant bias against them is necessarily football related.