Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Brady: "There's No Entitlement in the NFL"

amfootball

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/05/tom_brady_theres_no_entitlement_in_the_nfl.html

Peter King spoke to Brady about his thoughts on the Pats taking a QB in the second round. I found Brady's response to be quite articulate and something he has said for a long time - there are no guarantees in the NFL and you always have to be ready to be better than the next guy.

He did say that he believes he and Peyton will not be far from football when they retire which I thought was interesting. Not sure if Brady is looking at coaching or management after he retires or if he knows something about what Peyton might do as well.

He also said he feels better now then he did at age 25 because of the work he puts into his body in the off-season. I have always admired his commitment to the game and his love for the game. I do hope he is able to play as long as he wants at a high level.

Tom Brady is nowhere near retirement...

Manning has 3 more years and Tom  has more than that...

....The TV heads auto matically start predicting retirement for sports stars in their mid-30s...

Its lazy thinking,....because if you keep predicting someone will retire for four or five years in a row..eventually you're right

I'm guessing both of them go into broadcasting.  

It seems like most future hall of famers go do this when they retire.  

My guess is the reason is that broadcasting is a lot less work then coaching or being a part of the front office.  

Also just because someone is a great player doesn't necessarily make them able to do those jobs.  However in broadcasting people will listen to whatever it is they have to say because they were so good when they played.  

Plus people don't usually keep score in broadcasting.  But if you go into coaching or management that W-L record is your scoreboard.  

I'm guessing both of them go into broadcasting.  

It seems like most future hall of famers go do this when they retire.  

My guess is the reason is that broadcasting is a lot less work then coaching or being a part of the front office.  

Also just because someone is a great player doesn't necessarily make them able to do those jobs.  However in broadcasting people will listen to whatever it is they have to say because they were so good when they played.  

Plus people don't usually keep score in broadcasting.  But if you go into coaching or management that W-L record is your scoreboard.  

With that said, these guys are incredibly competitive and have insane football IQ, so while they may not go into head coaching, they may do some positional stuff or even be a consultant or offensive assistant.

With that said, these guys are incredibly competitive and have insane football IQ, so while they may not go into head coaching, they may do some positional stuff or even be a consultant or offensive assistant.

Yeah they are competitive but so is anyone who's ever made the hall of fame.  But most seem to go into broadcasting.

I think eventually they just decide that they want retirement to be an actual retirement.  And that's why they do broadcasting.  

Plus I think it's safer.  If they go into broadcasting and suck at that job, people don't remember it.  It will still be Tom Brady or Peyton Manning great player.  

But if they go into coaching or management then people remember that.  So their legacy could be hurt by coaching or managing failures.  

From what I have read Matt Millen was a pretty good player in his day.  But now the only thing people remember about him is that he was a total failure as a GM.

It was the Pats worst pick of the draft. Brady still has another 3-4 years. I am sure there will be quarterbacks in the next few years who are so much more talented than Jimmy is.

I don't get why they would make such a pick without knowing directly from Brady that he plans on retiring in the next year or 2.  It's not like you have to have a top backup, Brady's only had one season were he missed any significant playing time.  

Here is the thing I don't get.  If the Pats arn't going to trade Mallet then what are they doing?  Are they just keeping 3 QB's on the roster?  

And next year Mallet becomes a FA.  He's a wasted 3rd round pick at that point.  They spent the pick on a player who never really saw the field for them during a game that counted.  

What will be interesting is what kind of deal Mallet gets as a FA.  His college career was great but he's spent 4 years behind Brady and never played.  Who ever signs him is going to basically be signing a blind contract.  

I disagree that there is no sense of entitlement in the NFL, but I do know that Brady is a hard worker and always prepares as if he will be battling the other guy sitting behind him. He of all people knows all about going from undesirable back-up to starter, so I'm sure he always keeps his guard up.

Very envious of the Colts' transition from Peyton to Luck. I'm not sure how much longer Brady will play but odds are his successor is going to face a lot of scrutiny. Looking back, Indy was fortunate to avoid that situation and Luck has delivered.

This is what Belichick is good at. Keep all players under check and uncomfortable a bit. Brady is no exception.

Let's not forget how Brady got his job.

He got because the starter got injured and he played well. It didn't take that much courage to leave Brady in the lineup.

But if they go into coaching or management then people remember that.  So their legacy could be hurt by coaching or managing failures.  

From what I have read Matt Millen was a pretty good player in his day.  But now the only thing people remember about him is that he was a total failure as a GM.

No, people remember him as a pretty good player who was a lousy GM. And I don't think that incredibly competitive people suddenly avoid challenges because they are worried about their reputation. They assume that if they work hard enough they can enhance their reputation.

Does that sound like Peyton to you?

Very envious of the Colts' transition from Peyton to Luck. I'm not sure how much longer Brady will play but odds are his successor is going to face a lot of scrutiny. Looking back, Indy was fortunate to avoid that situation and Luck has delivered.

It's working out for the team, all things considered, but 2011 was really tough, as was the offseason prior to 2012. And there are some "fans" who will never get over the way the transition was handled. If the Broncos ever win a Super Bowl with Manning, it will get worse. Don't be too envious. It would be much better to have your guy finish his career on his terms, then go find his replacement, without the overlap there is with Manning and Luck right now, or with a Favre/Rodgers type deal (which is similar to the Bledsoe/Brady deal back in the day). 

But yeah, can't beat having a chance to draft a guy like Luck, after 13 years of Manning.

Tom Brady is nowhere near retirement...

Manning has 3 more years and Tom  has more than that...

They both looked old and lost in their last two games.

I give them both 2 more seasons. If Manning survives all the beatings from next year, and assuming Brady don't take more injuries.

Both of them are far past their prime and haven't won a Super Bowl since Dubya was president and I highly doubt either one of them will be in the big dance again unless it's another epic blow out like the last one.

I have to agree. With the injury to Manning and the 2-14 season the Colts fell into a pile and come up smelling like roses. The only thing that bothered me is the ones who said the Colts were tanking. I watched all of those games and the Colts did their best. If the Colts were tanking the QB change from Painter to Orlovsky in week 13 would not have taken place. Most don't remember but the QB change in week 13 was against the Patriots. Patriots won 31-24 with the Colts looking decent. With the #1 pick on the line the Colts did win 2 of the 4 games after the QB change.

Except BB would never allow the Patriots to be in such a situation where the backup QB is so godawful that it would result in a #1 pick. BB himself said that a few weeks ago. He was clearly alluding to the Colts.

Except BB would never allow the Patriots to be in such a situation where the backup QB is so godawful that it would result in a #1 pick. BB himself said that a few weeks ago. He was clearly alluding to the Colts.

Alluding to the Colts?  He mentioned them by name specifically, and I think he was being a bit sarcastic too because that epic "collapse" was a tough thing for most to swallow and believe. 

No, people remember him as a pretty good player who was a lousy GM. And I don't think that incredibly competitive people suddenly avoid challenges because they are worried about their reputation. They assume that if they work hard enough they can enhance their reputation.

Does that sound like Peyton to you?

Does that sound like Tony G.?? Because he went into broadcasting.  What about Dan Marino?

Like I said these guys may be hard workers when they are players but most of them go into broadcasting.

And I do think they get tired of working all of the time.  So they take a job that takes less work and gives them more time with their family.  

That's just my guess but I would bet they both go into broadcasting in some capacity after they retire.  

Alluding to the Colts?  He mentioned them by name specifically, and I think he was being a bit sarcastic too because that epic "collapse" was a tough thing for most to swallow and believe.

True, true. I'm glad that the Patriots will not allow themselves to be put into such a situation as the Colts did, who clearly had qualified replacement for Peyton.

They both looked old and lost in their last two games.

I give them both 2 more seasons. If Manning survives all the beatings from next year, and assuming Brady don't take more injuries.

Both of them are far past their prime and haven't won a Super Bowl since Dubya was president and I highly doubt either one of them will be in the big dance again unless it's another epic blow out like the last one.

Bogie...seriously...?

You thought the final games of each was telling last year.. 

Both were very strong much of the season.

I would have said Manning was past his prime, too, until he threw 60 TDs last year

I want both Manning/Brady to play as long as they like. They're good for our game and create drama. I don't want our INDY colt's winning a cheap superbowl, without these guys around. To be the best...you must beat the best. I actually look forward to it. If you take away both of those guys, then the cupboard's pretty bare. Who's gonna challenge Luck???????

You really don't like us very much...do ya'?

I want both Manning/Brady to play as long as they like. They're good for our game and create drama. I don't want our INDY colt's winning a cheap superbowl, without these guys around. To be the best...you must beat the best. I actually look forward to it. If you take away both of those guys, then the cupboard's pretty bare. Who's gonna challenge Luck???????

Tom Savage

Tom Savage

As we've previously discussed before...i think this is the correct answer. I like Tom alot and he'll be wonderful for your community. Have you learned his story yet? He's big and strong and reminds me of Dan Marino/big Ben. You guys stole this kid in the forth. My heart sank a little bit to know he would be going to you guys, because i like him so much. He really does fit you guys well and he's your future. You can buy your Tom Savage jersey's now...cause he's gonna' be a star.

As we've previously discussed before...i think this is the correct answer. I like Tom alot and he'll be wonderful for your community. Have you learned his story yet? He's big and strong and reminds me of Dan Marino/big Ben. You guys stole this kid in the forth. My heart sank a little bit to know he would be going to you guys, because i like him so much. He really does fit you guys well and he's your future. You can buy your Tom Savage jersey's now...cause he's gonna' be a star.

No, haven't learned his story yet, but heard he's been at least decent in workouts so far. We'll see how things go, he may get a chance to play this season.

No, haven't learned his story yet, but heard he's been at least decent in workouts so far. We'll see how things go, he may get a chance to play this season.

You guys should just go ahead and roll with him now. You have a strong running game and D to lean on. He's abit raw...mainly due to so many transfers, but he's got the goods to make an impact. He'll be offensive R.O.Y. That's mighty big praise.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/05/tom_brady_theres_no_entitlement_in_the_nfl.html

Peter King spoke to Brady about his thoughts on the Pats taking a QB in the second round. I found Brady's response to be quite articulate and something he has said for a long time - there are no guarantees in the NFL and you always have to be ready to be better than the next guy.

He did say that he believes he and Peyton will not be far from football when they retire which I thought was interesting. Not sure if Brady is looking at coaching or management after he retires or if he knows something about what Peyton might do as well.

He also said he feels better now then he did at age 25 because of the work he puts into his body in the off-season. I have always admired his commitment to the game and his love for the game. I do hope he is able to play as long as he wants at a high level.

maybe he and peyton have a joint venture planned :)

As a side note, i had you guys trading down in the first and picking Savage in the first (middle first) , but you got first round value in the forth...that's a steal. He's the best QB in this draft and Luck's rival for the next decade. No hate truly. It's hard not to love Savage. What a wonderful kid. I'm a big fan of his. Both luck and savage are class acts and will make us proud...win or lose. I'm excited, because so many great games are on the way! SHOOTOUT STYLE!

BB should know the Colts clearly tanked that season to ensure the #1 pick

I'll take the cheap Super Bowl.....

I would take ANY Super Bowl win. And be honest, whoever we beat in the NFC if we should win one will probably be a pretty good team based on recent history there.

I'll take the cheap Super Bowl.....

I would take ANY Super Bowl win. And be honest, whoever we beat in the NFC if we should win one will probably be a pretty good team based on recent history there.

No kidding. No such thing as winning a cheap SB. It is the hardest trophy to win in all of sports IMO.