Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South not impressive - Titans becoming new #2?

Coltscrazy

I was really hoping the AFC South would make some huge progress.  I'd like to be the best team in a tough division.  I'm not really that worried about Bortles or Clowney.  We will see how the rest of the draft plays out, but I don't see any real threats so far.  The one team who has caught my attention is the Titans.  Last Year they got Warmack and Levitre, also the center Schwenke.  Now they added Lewan and Oher.  This seems like a very physical, nasty buch.  I like Oher more than most, and with him paired with Lewan it could prove troublesome.  Warmack was said to struggle last year.  Anybody have insight into that? 

I love the Texan's new coach, I was rooting for them to trade down and make some noise.

What does the Titan leadership look like now?  Are they building into somthing good?

Michael Roos is going to be their left tackle.

Taylor Lewan is in the same situation that Riley Reiff was in, and will have to wait behind Roos this season. He'll get his shots as a #6 O-linemen, but nothing more unless there's injuries. 

If anything, the Titans made the least amount of strides of the 3 other AFC South teams. 

Michael Roos is going to be their left tackle.

Taylor Lewan is in the same situation that Riley Reiff was in, and will have to wait behind Roos this season. He'll get his shots as a #6 O-linemen, but nothing more unless there's injuries.

If anything, the Titans made the least amount of strides of the 3 other AFC South teams.

Lewan is light years ahead of Oher and will start if the staff is smart and he's as good as advertised.

Yep.....the other 3 teams are .500 teams, at best.

Nope. Texans will be no worse than 9-7. I look for them to go 5-1 in the South. I would not be surprised to see them at 11-5 or even better.

I don't see any of the three teams making a giant leap the way the Colts did with Luck and Company in 2012.

But, don't kid yourselves.....   each of those teams is getting better.     They won't get it fully right until they get the right QB, but they're all getting better.    Better coaches,  better players.    They'll all be improved.

Lewan is light years ahead of Oher and will start if the staff is smart and he's as good as advertised.

They wouldn't pay Oher big bucks just to have him sit on the bench.

Insert Flynn for Oher.

Oher is garbage and they shouldn't have paid him in the first place, but a good coaching staff plays the better player, always.

Paul Kahursky who covers the Titans for ESPN said Oher basically his contract is set up like a 1yr $6 million

@PaulKuharskyNFL: #Titans can get out of @MichaelOher deal after 1 year for $6 million if they want. Roos is in final year of contract. #TENpick

Nope. Texans will be no worse than 9-7. I look for them to go 5-1 in the South. I would not be surprised to see them at 11-5 or even better.

Nope.  9-7 is their ceiling.  Way too many holes.  There is a reason they lost 14 games last year, and it's not because they were weak at only 1 position.  I'd be beyond surprised if they finished better than 11-5, as that's something they've managed to do one time ever.

Nope.  9-7 is their ceiling.  Way too many holes.  There is a reason they lost 14 games last year, and it's not because they were weak at only 1 position.  I'd be beyond surprised if they finished better than 11-5, as that's something they've managed to do one time ever.

9-7 might get them in the playoffs or it might even win the division but I expect the Colts to be no worse than 10-6 barring key injuries.

You are nuts.

Why would you want the AFC South to progress? You got it made since you get to beat up on 3 franchises that are a joke. You should be very satisfied since you don't have to worry about a Carolina or Atlanta team popping up to steal your division title every other year.

I would rank Texans above Titans to be honest.

Same here, I like what they are doing.  If they get their QB situation figured out they could be very tough.  

But no one can say there isn't a good amount of talent there outside of the QB position.  

Same here, I like what they are doing.  If they get their QB situation figured out they could be very tough.  

But no one can say there isn't a good amount of talent there outside of the QB position.  

I agree too. Tom Savage's ceiling is as high as any other QB in this draft, IMO and he is going to a great situation in terms of team talent and coaching.

I agree too. Tom Savage's ceiling is as high as any other QB in this draft, IMO and he is going to a great situation in terms of team talent and coaching.

There is always the chance they could trade for Mallett too.  That way they would have 2 talented guys with upside to compete against each other and a Journeyman in Fitzpatrick.  

And remember with all the help they are getting these guys don't have to be world beaters either.  

Keep in mind we are talking about a lot of rookies here.......who have shown us nothing in the NFL yet in real games. I hyped up Luck a lot before our draft and after but I always felt it was common knowledge the guy was the anti bust in terms of potential.

This year I don't get that from most of them. They still have to prove themselves......

Texans are putting together one heck of a defense, IMO.

It normally takes rookies on defense about 2-3 years to fully adjust and get up to tempo with experience.

Green Bay likes to draft nothing but rookies and throw them to the wolves on defense, and it hasn't exactly worked for them in the long run. The only time their defense has looked good in recent years was 2010 where they had some decent veterans on field.

You guys worry way too much about Houston. They are going to crash and burn a lot harder without Kubiak and Wade Phillips' defenses are known to become very mediocre after the shiny glow of the first few years wears off.

Fitzpatrick at QB is a bigger joke than Matt Schaub, but everyone hates Schaub and scapegoats him (kinda like Romo, man I cannot understand why people hate that guy so bad) so Fitzpatrick will get a pass, besides the usual cliche "he went to Harvard, guy's a genius yo!"

So basically every team that drafts defensive starters can't be excited or hope for any real contribution for three years, or be excited after the Draft because everybody but smart quarterbacks have major bust potential. The Texans will burn out with Wade Phillips defense even though we have Romeo Crennel running a 3-4 here now. Interesting.

So basically every team that drafts defensive starters can't be excited or hope for any real contribution for three years, or be excited after the Draft because everybody but smart quarterbacks have major bust potential. The Texans will burn out with Wade Phillips defense even though we have Romeo Crennel running a 3-4 here now. Interesting.

You should be excited about what your team is doing. I read that they signed UDFA Max Bullough from Michigan St. He was the leader of one of best defenses in college. I don't know why he went undrafted.

You are nuts.

Why would you want the AFC South to progress? You got it made since you get to beat up on 3 franchises that are a joke. You should be very satisfied since you don't have to worry about a Carolina or Atlanta team popping up to steal your division title every other year.

Like Carolina has been a power house. Think they have made the playoffs three times in 10 yrs. but I agree with your sentiment, I don't know why anyone would want a tough division.

Not unless you're the colts.

If anything, the Jaguars made the most strides. They pulled a 2012 Grigson. They got they're QB of the future, and then immediately surrounded him with talent (Marquise Lee and Allen Robinson). They have Colvin to red-shirt, and will then start alongside Dwayne Gratz.

Colts are still at the top of the food chain though. The Jack Mewhort pick pretty much answers the Clowney pick. I don't think he'll be making that much of a splash with the way our O-Line is shaping up. And the rest of the division doesn't have the secondary to stop what will rival the Broncos for the best aerial attack in the AFC.

You should be excited about what your team is doing. I read that they signed UDFA Max Bullough from Michigan St. He was the leader of one of best defenses in college. I don't know why he went undrafted.

I haven't been keeping up with the free agents but I am surprised he wasn't drafted too. He is a good player.

Houston had a very good draft and they weren't a 2-14 team quality wise to begin with..

It is again Indy vs. Houston