Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 3.0

Round 2 - LaMarcus Joyner, DB, FSU.

Joyner plays bigger than his 5'9" listed height. The versatile DB out of FSU lined up at a plethora of spots at FSU including outside corner, slot corner, free safety, strong safety and LB (led the Seminoles in sacks). We currently have a hole at FS and Butler is in the final year of his contract. He has the range, tackling ability, and physicality to be a successful NFL player. He's also a decent KR so we don't have to waste a roster spot for a pure returner.

Round 3 - Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennesse

Richardson is one the more physically gifted OTs in the NFL. His problems are mostly technique and effort based. Sitting on the bench and not throwing him into the fire should help his development and Pagano and co. have been known to take guys with effort questions (see : Da'Rick Rogers, Montori Hughes, Hakeem Nicks, ect..) This pick allows us to have a viable option to replace Costanzo if we wish to do so, and if not gives us a viable back-up or eventual replacement for Cherilus (who's cap hit jumps to $9.9M in 2016).

Round 5 - Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

Round 6 - Henry Josey, RB, Missouri

Round 7 - Aaron Colvin, DB, Oklahoma (probably will get taken before then, but maybe not)

I really like the Richardson pick.He might even be able to play guard before moving outside 

I think that he's a little too tall to play guard, but he'd definitely get playing time in those 6 olineman sets Pep loves to run. 

I don't understand.

With all the needs we have, you want to use our 3rd round pick on........................

a Tackle?

Really?

I confess I didn't see that coming...............

You don't draft for need. Richardson late in the 3rd would be a steal.

I don't understand.

With all the needs we have, you want to use our 3rd round pick on........................

a Tackle?

Really?

Costanzo is in a contract year. Next year is an extremely weak OT class in FA. Costanzo is probably the best LT on the market next year. In all likely hood he's going to be getting a big contract from someone. 

Taking an OT and sitting him for year let's us not have to handcuff ourselves to Costanzo while at the same time not having to possibly throw a rookie into the starting lineup. 

And he was BPA.

I don't understand.

a Tackle?

Really?

Costanzo is in a contract year. Next year is an extremely weak OT class in FA. Costanzo is probably the best LT on the market next year. In all likely hood he's going to be getting a big contract from someone. 

Taking an OT and sitting him for year let's us not have to handcuff ourselves to Costanzo while at the same time not having to possibly throw a rookie into the starting lineup. 

And he was BPA.

I think Dustin's logic is sound. Assuming Richardson can actually play LT in the pros (I haven't watched him much, so I don't have an opinion on that), he's a good future option for Castonzo or Cherilus. 

I wouldn't want a tackle or guard in the third, but I understand that decision. 

Round 2 - LaMarcus Joyner, DB, FSU.

Joyner plays bigger than his 5'9" listed height. The versatile DB out of FSU lined up at a plethora of spots at FSU including outside corner, slot corner, free safety, strong safety and LB (led the Seminoles in sacks). We currently have a hole at FS and Butler is in the final year of his contract. He has the range, tackling ability, and physicality to be a successful NFL player. He's also a decent KR so we don't have to waste a roster spot for a pure returner.

Round 3 - Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennesse

Richardson is one the more physically gifted OTs in the NFL. His problems are mostly technique and effort based. Sitting on the bench and not throwing him into the fire should help his development and Pagano and co. have been known to take guys with effort questions (see : Da'Rick Rogers, Montori Hughes, Hakeem Nicks, ect..) This pick allows us to have a viable option to replace Costanzo if we wish to do so, and if not gives us a viable back-up or eventual replacement for Cherilus (who's cap hit jumps to $9.9M in 2016).

Round 5 - Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

Round 6 - Henry Josey, RB, Missouri

Round 7 - Aaron Colvin, DB, Oklahoma (probably will get taken before then, but maybe not)

no sold on  antoino Richardson,

I liked the other one better. I am with you with Joyner I hope is still around at 59 He will see the field plenty as a rookie I love this pick.

I agree with a O lineman like you are planning ahead but if Turner or Richardson are there we might go G

Lynch has some character issues don't see the need to bring in baggage for what he brings to the plate. I love Exum in the 5th. He can play all over I leave him at CB think he could eventually take over for Toler.

if we took a chance on character issue guy in the 6th Prince Shembo better yet and better character Coleman DT

Colvin would be a great stash in the 7th

I know that is 3 DB's in the draft but it is loaded it is becoming a passing league and I think Colvin will be gone by the 7th.

I think Dustin's logic is sound. Assuming Richardson can actually play LT in the pros (I haven't watched him much, so I don't have an opinion on that), he's a good future option for Castonzo or Cherilus. 

I wouldn't want a tackle or guard in the third, but I understand that decision. 

If we're going to spend a #3 on an offensive lineman -- and that's a Big "IF"...  then I'd personally want a Center or a Guard,  you know,  where our weakness is,  rather than a tackle,  where our weakness isn't.     I'd rather not spend a #3 on a position in anticipation of a problem when the front office should know if they can re-sign Costanzo to a deal they're comfortable with.

By the way....  if we wind up spending our 2 or 3 or 5 on a tackle,  then my guess is we're worried about re-signing Costanzo. 

But, otherwise,   that's not a position I want to invest a high pick in.   I think that would be a waste.

If we're going to spend a #3 on an offensive lineman -- and that's a Big "IF"...  then I'd personally want a Center or a Guard,  you know,  where our weakness is,  rather than a tackle,  where our weakness isn't.     I'd rather not spend a #3 on a position in anticipation of a problem when the front office should know if they can re-sign Costanzo to a deal they're comfortable with.

By the way....  if we wind up spending our 2 or 3 or 5 on a tackle,  then my guess is we're worried about re-signing Costanzo. 

But, otherwise,   that's not a position I want to invest a high pick in.   I think that would be a waste.

I'm not a fan of spending a pick on a lineman at all. Just as a disclaimer.

But here's where we differ: Castonzo is an above average LT right now. He's only three years in, and he could potentially get a lot better still. I've been a fan since before we drafted him. But he's still got a lot of improvement to make before he can be considered a rock of a LT, and he might not ever be that kind of LT. His contract is up after this season, and it will likely cost $6-8m/year to keep him. It's not about whether the front office can re-sign him, it's about whether they actually want to.

So if they felt like a potential starting LT was available in the draft, someone who could actually be a premier LT, it could be a better option than spending big time money on Castonzo. A third round pick would cost 1/10 of what it will probably cost to keep Castonzo. And like Dustin said, you get the guy in the fold and start developing him a year before you need him to play.

Again, this is not my ideal. My ideal is to get a potentially game-wrecking defensive player -- S or LB -- at #59, then get a S, LB or CB at #90. And if that game-wrecker isn't there at #59, then trade down and get some value out of this very deep draft (and if we do that, then drafting a lineman is more palatable). I'm just saying that I understand the logic. 

One other thing: While interior line has been an issue for us, I think getting rid of Satele and McGlynn is a step in the right direction already. Getting Donald Thomas back is a positive. Guys like Thornton, Nixon and Reitz all played guard well at times last season, and are hopefully healthy. Holmes is a question mark, but a young and intriguing question mark. And the veteran additions of Costa and Louis will be in the mix. So interior line :: fingers crossed :: might not be the weakness that it's been in recent years. That said, tackle isn't a weakness, so your point is well taken.

If we are looking for another potential LT in this draft if we let Castonzo walk then I like Billy Turner in the 4th (trade down) or 5th. But anyway here is my newest mock for the Colts(not my last):

2.Jimmie Ward Safety Northern Illinois

3.TRADE DOWN TO:

4.Jaguars (Pick 105....84 points) Pick up Jax Pick 105.....Pick 144 5th round pick(34.5 points) plus Jax 6th round pick (Pick 179...19.8 points).......Colts 4th round pick......Phillip Gaines...Rice

4.(original 4th round pick)Russell Bodine- North Carolina

5.(From Jax)Jordan Tripp OLB/ILB Montana

6.(From Jax) Jerick Mckinnon RB Georgia Southern

6.(Original pick)Cody Hoffman WR Brigham Young L'Damian Washington

7.Joe Don Duncan-Blocking TE Dixie State... had alot of production at TE as a receiver but he not a burner

If we are looking for another potential LT in this draft if we let Castonzo walk then I like Billy Turner in the 4th (trade down) or 5th. But anyway here is my newest mock for the Colts(not my last):

2.Jimmie Ward Safety Northern Illinois

3.TRADE DOWN TO:

4.Jaguars (Pick 105....84 points) Pick up Jax Pick 105.....Pick 144 5th round pick(34.5 points) plus Jax 6th round pick (Pick 179...19.8 points).......Colts 4th round pick......Phillip Gaines...Rice

4.(original 4th round pick)Russell Bodine- North Carolina

5.(From Jax)Jordan Tripp OLB/ILB Montana

6.(From Jax) Jerick Mckinnon RB Georgia Southern

6.(Original pick)Cody Hoffman WR Brigham Young L'Damian Washington

7.Joe Don Duncan-Blocking TE Dixie State... had alot of production at TE as a receiver but he not a burner

Know way Ward drops to 59. There's talks of him going before Pyror.

Know way Ward drops to 59. There's talks of him going before Pyror.

If not then Im going Marcus Smith or if by chance the stars align Jordan Matthews(Though if Smith or Matthews are there with Ward in my final mock then I'd probably go with either one of them)......Also  for my 7th round pick I like Matt Hazel WR Coastal Carolina better then Duncan but Duncan is a solid all around TE, Just not a burner.

If I had to put money on it, I'd also say Joyner is our man.  He's probably more likely to be there for us than his teammate, Terrence Brooks, because of Brooks' impressive measurables.  But Grigson loves these guys who don't test well (I understand), and his game tape is excellent.  Your mock is otherwise a little over the top with guys that have desire and injury questions.  I can see taking one...

I have listed Picks 50-74 on three popular sites to see who might be realistically available at Pick 59.

NFL.com

50.   Henderson, Seantrel OT 6'7" 331 Miami

51.   Williams, Andre  RB 5'11" 230 Boston College

52.   Mewhort, Jack  OT 6'6" 309 Ohio St.

53.   Richardson, Antonio OT 6'6" 336 Tennessee

54.   Jernigan, Timmy NT 6'2" 299 Florida St.

55.   Matthews, Jordan WR 6'3" 212 Vanderbilt

56.   Landry, Jarvis  WR 5'11" 205 LSU

57.   Freeman, Devonta RB 5'8" 206 Florida St.

58.   Loston, Craig  SS 5'11" 217 LSU

59.   Johnson, Anthony DT 6'2" 308 LSU

60.   Urschel, John  OG 6'3" 313 Penn St.

61.   Breeland, Bashaud CB 5'11" 197 Clemson

62.   Borland, Chris  ILB 5'11" 248 Wisconsin

63.   Sutton, Will  DT 6'0" 303 Arizona State

64.   Van Noy, Kyle  OLB 6'3" 243 BYU

65.   Attaochu, Jeremiah OLB 6'3" 252 Georgia Tech

66.   Martin, Marcus  C 6'3" 320 USC

67.   S-Jenkins, Austin  TE 6'5" 262 Washington

68.   Ferguson, Ego  DT 6'3" 315 LSU

69.   Fiedorowicz, C.J.  TE 6'5" 265 Iowa

70.   Swanson, Travis   C 6'5" 312 Arkansas

71.   Skov, Shayne  ILB 6'2" 245 Stanford

72.   Bitonio, Joel  OT 6'4" 302 Nevada

73.   Thomas, De'Anthony RB 5'9" 174 Oregon

74.   Exum, Antone  CB 6'0" 213 Virginia Tech

CBSSports.com

50.   Gabe Jackson  OG 6-3 336  Mississippi State

51.   Jeremiah Attaochu OLB 6-3 252  Georgia Tech

52.   JaWuan James  OT 6-6 311  Tennessee

53.   Carlos Hyde  RB 6-0 230  Ohio State

54.   Donte Moncrief  WR 6-2 221  Ole Miss

55.   Demarcus Lawrence DE 6-3 251  Boise State

56.   Marcus Roberson CB 6-0 191  Florida

57.   Troy Niklas  TE 6-7 270  Notre Dame

58.   Weston Richburg C 6-3 298  Colorado State

59.   Dominique Easley DT 6-2 288  Florida

60.   Bishop Sankey  RB 5-10 209  Washington

61.   Jimmy Garoppolo QB 6-2 226  Eastern Illinois

62.   Jeremy Hill  RB 6-1 233  LSU

63.   Paul Richardson  WR 6-0 175  Colorado

64.   Trevor Reilly  OLB 6-5 245  Utah

65.   Will Sutton  DT 6-1 303  Arizona State

66.   Keith McGill  CB 6-3 211  Utah

67.   Carl Bradford  OLB 6-1 250  Arizona State

68.   Jordan Matthews WR 6-3 212  Vanderbilt

69.   Dakota Dozier  OG 6-4 313  Furman

70.   Trent Murphy  DE 6-5 250  Stanford

71.   Terrence Brooks FS 5-11 198  Florida State

72.   Kelcy Quarles  DT 6-4 297  South Carolina

73.   Bashaud Breeland CB 5-11 197  Clemson

74.   Marcus Martin  C 6-3 320  Southern California

Walter Football

50.   Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin

51.   Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford

52.   Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame

53.   Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OL Georgia Tech

54.   Marcus Martin, C, USC

55.   Keith McGill, CB, Utah

56.   Kyle Van Noy, DE/OLB, BYU

57.   Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

58.   Lamarcus Joyner, CB/S, Florida State

59.   Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

60.   Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina

61.   Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

62.   Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford

63.   Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson

64.   Carl Bradford, DE/OLB, Arizona State

65.   Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State

66.   Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

67.   Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State

68.   Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

69.   Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

70.   Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

71.   Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State

72.   Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson

73.   Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State

74.   Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas

outer space

The only real advantage Brooks has over Joyner is size. So I go Joyner.

It's a riskier pick for sure, but I fell Joyner is the better talent.

Sound logic. I just don't like the idea of playing a shorter safety in the box. Joyner would definitely have to spend more time up top. He's got range and he finds a way to make plays. I like him, but his lack of height concerns me.

Sound logic. I just don't like the idea of playing a shorter safety in the box. Joyner would definitely have to spend more time up top. He's got range and he finds a way to make plays. I like him, but his lack of height concerns me.

I think the Colts philosophically are drawn to bigger players at most every position.   As much as I like Joyner -- and I really do like him -- I don't see the Colts buying into a 5'8" 185 pound safety.    Sooner or later bigger people wear down smaller people.

I'm not even sure the Colts would want him as a corner?    I think they like bigger corners too.

So, while he's a talented kid,  I don't think the Colts like players that small.   TYH is an exception to that rule,  but he plays outside and can be protected by scheme.

I think the Colts philosophically are drawn to bigger players at most every position. As much as I like Joyner -- and I really do like him -- I don't see the Colts buying into a 5'8" 185 pound safety. Sooner or later bigger people wear down smaller people.

I'm not even sure the Colts would want him as a corner? I think they like bigger corners too.

So, while he's a talented kid, I don't think the Colts like players that small. TYH is an exception to that rule, but he plays outside and can be protected by scheme.

That's a good point also. Especially on defense, the Colts front office and staff seem to be drawn toward guys with size. Maybe not monsters in every position, but definitely not "undersized" players, which Joyner is. I'd hate to miss out on the next Bob Sanders or Earl Thomas, but it's not like there aren't other good safety prospects.

I think the Colts philosophically are drawn to bigger players at most every position. As much as I like Joyner -- and I really do like him -- I don't see the Colts buying into a 5'8" 185 pound safety. Sooner or later bigger people wear down smaller people.

I'm not even sure the Colts would want him as a corner? I think they like bigger corners too.

So, while he's a talented kid, I don't think the Colts like players that small. TYH is an exception to that rule, but he plays outside and can be protected by scheme.

Darius Butler is basically the same size.

Darius Butler is basically the same size.

Good point,  I honestly thought Butler was bigger.   I just double checked -- basically 5'10" and 188.

Like I said,  I like Joyner...   but I'd like a safety before I want a corner (although I think this draft has lots of corners and not nearly as many good safeties...)    and I don't know how the Colts see Joyner?   

He's not. Those two inches are significant. But even if he was, are you projecting Joyner as a slot corner?

I thought Joyner was 5'9"? Guess I was wrong.

It honestly doesn't matter to me which of those positions he plays because I feel he'd excell at both. I personally would put him at S tho.

I thought Joyner was 5'9"? Guess I was wrong.

It honestly doesn't matter to me which of those positions he plays because I feel he'd excell at both. I personally would put him at S tho.

He measured in at the Combine at 5'8". http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamarcus-joyner?id=2543492

I agree with you; I'd put him at FS, to be specific. I think he'll be a good player, but it's hard to ignore his size.

If forced to pick Brooks and Joyner, who's the pick?

Brooks, Though Joyner has better hands. I'd make it a priority to do drills with Brooks if Im a position coach that involve him being forced to catch balls so his concentration improves trying to catch them and hope that it translates to games. I like Joyner...Smart Safety who goes for the strip and can hit....But Safeties that hit that are.....well...vertically challenged are just begging to get injured often.

Brooks, Though Joyner has better hands. I'd make it a priority to do drills with Brooks if Im a position coach that involve him being forced to catch balls so his concentration improves trying to catch them and hope that it translates to games. I like Joyner...Smart Safety who goes for the strip and can hit....But Safeties that hit that are.....well...vertically challenged are just begging to get injured often.

Brooks has inconsistent hands for sure, but that being the biggest knock on him doesn't bother me at all. He's a DB, I'm not worried about his hands. I want him to play good coverage, which he does, and make tackles, which he does. Hands is a bonus.

Brooks has inconsistent hands for sure, but that being the biggest knock on him doesn't bother me at all. He's a DB, I'm not worried about his hands. I want him to play good coverage, which he does, and make tackles, which he does. Hands is a bonus.

Hands are a must in my opinion, I mean he dont have Jerry Rice like hands at the Safety position, He dont  have to catch them all... thats unrealistic....But if lets say 8-9 hit you square in the hands over the course of a 16 game season after you jumped a route or a QB just made a bad decision then I'd hope he is capable of catching at least 5-6. Again good coverage is an absolute must obviously but having a ballhawk in the Secondary is a must as well, A ballhawk has the ability to shutdown a side of a field