Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack meeting with Jags.

dw49

5213.jpg

The Jaguars met with Browns transition player Alex Mack on Friday.

It's Mack's first known visit since being assigned the Browns' transition tag. The Jags have yet to make a formal offer, but there's "ongoing discussions" between the sides. With Brad Meester retired, Mack would be a massive upgrade on projected starter Mike Brewster. The Browns have to ability to match any contract Mack receives, so Jacksonville would have to get creative to lure him out of Cleveland. The Browns are also flush with salary cap space.

Apr 5 - 5:11 PM

Poor Alex Mack. I still say he stays in Cleveland this year, and we sign him next year if Holmes doesn't work out.

Id be so mad at Cleveland if I were him.. This is his prime and after 28 you're old, and they're just locking him in a cage and saying have fun being forced to lose.

Id be so mad at Cleveland if I were him.. This is his prime and after 28 you're old, and they're just locking him in a cage and saying have fun being forced to lose.

He's set to make $10+ mil this coming season alone, and the only way he doesn't make that is if another team offers him a long-term contract that he likes, which Cleveland can match.  So either way, he's going to be rolling in money.  Yeah, my heart goes out to him.

But really, what is Cleveland supposed to do?  Let one of their best players walk for free to give him a better chance to be on a winning team?  Then how do they go about trying to be a winning team themselves if they constantly let their best players go?  Why even give them high draft picks?  How about we take away all their high draft picks, distribute them to the good teams.  In exchange, those good teams can send some of their late round picks back to Cleveland just so Cleveland and their fans will be able to feel like they're participating on draft day.  Then again, if a player is good enough to be drafted at all, is it fair for them to go to a team like Cleveland where they're just going to lose?  Maybe we should force Cleveland out of the draft entirely...they can fill up their roster with UDFA's.  Or would it also be unfair to the UDFA's to have to go to  Cleveland?  I'm not sure where we're going to draw the line.

Cleveland has been making a lot of crazy (DUMB DUMB DUMB) moves lately. They did after all cut one of their only good defensive players earlier.

Cleveland has been making a lot of crazy (DUMB DUMB DUMB) moves lately. They did after all cut one of their only good defensive players earlier.

Maybe they haven't done well lately but the TRich trade was one of the most one-sided trades in recent years.

But really, what is Cleveland supposed to do?  Let one of their best players walk for free to give him a better chance to be on a winning team?  Then how do they go about trying to be a winning team themselves if they constantly let their best players go?  Why even give them high draft picks?  How about we take away all their high draft picks, distribute them to the good teams.  In exchange, those good teams can send some of their late round picks back to Cleveland just so Cleveland and their fans will be able to feel like they're participating on draft day.  Then again, if a player is good enough to be drafted at all, is it fair for them to go to a team like Cleveland where they're just going to lose?  Maybe we should force Cleveland out of the draft entirely...they can fill up their roster with UDFA's.  Or would it also be unfair to the UDFA's to have to go to  Cleveland?  I'm not sure where we're going to draw the line.

post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-

Maybe they haven't done well lately but the TRich trade was one of the most one-sided trades in recent years.

They won with the TRich trade no doubt. He is a bust IMO.

But the moves they are making now are crazy. It's like they don't even want to win.

Who did they cut?  :dunno:

They won with the TRich trade no doubt. He is a bust IMO.

But the moves they are making now are crazy. It's like they don't even want to win.

What moves have they made that are "Crazy"?

So much for the argument that Alex wants to "play for a winner". I just hope he signs an offer sheet from Jax so we can match and have this all be over. Alex Mack is going to play in Cleveland this season. 

I assume he is referring to D'Qwell Jackson whom we signed

Jackson was due over $10 million dollars this year and has been in decline for over 2 years now. Granted he was a "leader" but he was hardly the "only good" defensive player. In fact, he was one of the worst last season. 

In talks with the Jags.  Guess he doesn't want to win that much.  One of the few teams worse then Cleveland.  

Things must be really bad for him to be even remotely interested in Jacksonville...I wonder if he has a problem with the new head coach.

Things must be really bad for him to be even remotely interested in Jacksonville...I wonder if he has a problem with the new head coach.

He may not be interested in Jacksonville.  He may only be interested in the contract Jacksonville is willing to offer.

True...Money talks. I think he's going to remain in Cleveland though.

Doubt he will have a choice....Dont think a team will put together a deal big enough to make the Browns think twice...I know one thing...and thats that he isn't coming to Indy.....unfortunately

True...Money talks. I think he's going to remain in Cleveland though.

Actually I didn't mean that he would go play for Jacksonville if they offered the right contract.  But if they offered a contract he liked, he could sign the offer sheet knowing that the Browns would have to match it to keep him and they probably will.  So by going to visit various teams, he can find the contract he likes best, sign it and then let Cleveland match.  That way he gets the contract he wants and he stays in Cleveland, which is something we all pretty much know is going to happen anyway.  

I know a lot of people keep trying to say that Mack wants out of Cleveland, but if that were the case I would think his best option would be to simply sign the Transition Tag tender, play this season with Cleveland and then hit the open market next offseason and go wherever he wants.

Doubt he will have a choice....Dont think a team will put together a deal big enough to make the Browns think twice...I know one thing...and thats that he isn't coming to Indy.....unfortunately

Exactly, no way any team is going to throw an obscene amount of cash at a center.

Actually I didn't mean that he would go play for Jacksonville if they offered the right contract.  But if they offered a contract he liked, he could sign the offer sheet knowing that the Browns would have to match it to keep him and they probably will.  So by going to visit various teams, he can find the contract he likes best, sign it and then let Cleveland match.  That way he gets the contract he wants and he stays in Cleveland, which is something we all pretty much know is going to happen anyway.  

I know a lot of people keep trying to say that Mack wants out of Cleveland, but if that were the case I would think his best option would be to simply sign the Transition Tag tender, play this season with Cleveland and then hit the open market next offseason and go wherever he wants.

Yeah, he's making smart moves. Hasn't he been with the Browns his entire career by this point anyway? I'm sure he doesn't mind staying there, no having to move and find a new place to stay or anything like that. Now he can get his money and not go anywhere. And if the Browns new regime kicks off the Draft right and improve their offense, then the arrow could be pointing up for Mack and the team.

This...you make too much sense for most people to understand. I would see it as a sign he wanted out if he signed the 1 yr tender instead of looking for a long term contract that Cleveland will undoubtedly match. He may only be going to Jacksonville because they have a lot of money and can offer him one of the best contracts that he can take back to Cleveland to get what he thinks he deserves.