Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thomas fighting to get back: Grigson...

BrentMc11

Holmes and Costa both play G as well. In the third round the Colts select OG Baylor Cyril Richardson. He will really help. Let them all chase after WR's and the next big thing as the big uglies fall to us.

Goodwin is still sitting out there and lots of things will happen between now and June. I think Thomas will be back let's see if he can win his job back in camp.

Yeah.  If you consider Thornton and Thomas the starting guards, you have to recognize that the only back-up OG of note is Costa.  If Thomas' recovery is in question, then the need is even higher...

dont forget about Lance Louis..Grigs is really high on him (check grigs interview at the meeting in the videos area)

The Bears who didn't re-sign him and the Dolphins who cut him after he was losing the position battle to a rookie UDFA.

He wasn't losing the position battle. He wasn't even in the position battle, but for a few snaps in one preseason game. He was still rehabbing his knee, and wasn't 100%. And the Bears didn't re-sign him because he had just blown out his knee. 

Not claiming he's going to be great, but the way he was dealt with by the Dolphins and Bears says nothing about his ability. 

He wasn't losing the position battle. He wasn't even in the position battle, but for a few snaps in one preseason game. He was still rehabbing his knee, and wasn't 100%. And the Bears didn't re-sign him because he had just blown out his knee.

Not claiming he's going to be great, but the way he was dealt with by the Dolphins and Bears says nothing about his ability.

Dolphins released OG Lance Louis.

27-year-old Louis was slow to recover from his 2012 ACL tear, falling behind undrafted rookie Josh Samuda at one point in the battle to start at right guard. Another gem from Jeff Ireland's desperation offseason spending spree, Louis cost the Dolphins $125,000 without even playing in a single game. Tue, Aug 27, 2013 04:16:00 PM

Regardless, he's bad.

27-year-old Louis was slow to recover from his 2012 ACL tear, falling behind undrafted rookie Josh Samuda at one point in the battle to start at right guard. Another gem from Jeff Ireland's desperation offseason spending spree, Louis cost the Dolphins $125,000 without even playing in a single game. Tue, Aug 27, 2013 04:16:00 PM

Regardless, he's bad.

The Dolphins didn't know what they wanted to do with their linemen last year. They moved everyone around, including taking some of Pouncey's starting snaps at one point. They stuck Louis on the second unit for drill work, but never put him in any games until the game before they cut him. 

I think calling him bad is a rush to judgment based on two teams not giving him preferential treatment during his knee recovery (not that they should have). Calling him terrible is harsh, and I think it's way overstated, given that when he was healthy, he was about average, with some flashes of pretty good play. 

Also, I question the judgment of any source who refers to a veteran contract for $1.6m as part of a "spending spree."

Regardless, he's bad.

Goodness.    He's bad when he's hurt and playing at below 100%.    Sounds like the description of many players in the NFL.

But Grigson saw him two years ago on tape prior to our 2012 season opener vs. Chicago.   Said he was easily the best OL that the Bears had.   Expected him to earn a big contract once he finished his rookie deal.    Then he got hurt. 

Grigson remembered what he saw and signed Louis to a 2-year contract.    Doesn't sound like he shares your negative view of Louis.

Goodness. He's bad when he's hurt and playing at below 100%. Sounds like the description of many players in the NFL.

But Grigson saw him two years ago on tape prior to our 2012 season opener vs. Chicago. Said he was easily the best OL that the Bears had. Expected him to earn a big contract once he finished his rookie deal. Then he got hurt.

Grigson remembered what he saw and signed Louis to a 2-year contract. Doesn't sound like he shares your negative view of Louis.

Being the best olineman on the Bears is like being the best QB on the Browns.

This just sounds like Grigs talking his guy up, he was available last offseason and he didn't make a move for him.

This just sounds like Grigs talking his guy up, he was available last offseason and he didn't make a move for him.

Perhaps.

The difference is, you've already decided he's bad.

I'm willing to wait and have the guy prove it on the field...........

Yeah.  If you consider Thornton and Thomas the starting guards, you have to recognize that the only back-up OG of note is Costa.  If Thomas' recovery is in question, then the need is even higher...

Costa would be behind Reitz, Nixon, and Louis. Other than that you seem well informed

Why would he, his knee wasn`t ready? Either the guy could play or not. The Browns analogy is ____!

I found VG dated comments about the guy when i researched him.

Hmmm! Your GM happens to concur. Sounds like you are bashing just to bash.??? 

Regardless if Louis turns out to be something or not, it's clear Grigson likes to gamble on players with injury red flags. Injuries clearly bit us in the butt last year, so I don't know how I feel about that. Especially with the line being shaky as it is. Both Costa and Louis have health concerns, along with Thomas trying to get back and Reitz being injury plagued as well

Why would he, his knee wasn`t ready? Either the guy could play or not. The Browns analogy is ____!

I found VG dated comments about the guy when i researched him.

Hmmm! Your GM happens to concur. Sounds like you are bashing just to bash.???

The irony of you accusing me of bashing just to bash...

No one is giving Joe Reitz any attention. He was our best guard last year, but for whatever reason the coaches kept McGlynn in the lineup, and used Linkenbach over Reitz. Ugh. If Reitz can stay healthy and keep his head from getting dinged again, he'd be the best contingency plan in case Donald Thomas isn't 100%. 

Nobody?  Snort snort...hint hint...

No offense to Nobody....:)

Nobody? Snort snort...hint hint...

No offense to Nobody....:)

I was screaming that Reitz should've started at guard over Mcglynn before the season even started. I remember you, in particular, being just as adamant about him playing as well

I was screaming that Reitz should've started at guard over Mcglynn before the season even started. I remember you, in particular, being just as adamant about him playing as well

Tried to LIKE...GRRR!  Too damned early for no likes :)

I have been 'protecting' Reitz from haters since he came to the Colts :)

Tried to LIKE...GRRR! Too damned early for no likes :)

I have been 'protecting' Reitz from haters since he came to the Colts :)

Lol, it's all good. And yeah, Reitz could definitely be a solid starter if he can completely shake his string of injuries. Probably our best pass protector outside of Cherilus

Lol, it's all good. And yeah, Reitz could definitely be a solid starter if he can completely shake his string of injuries. Probably our best pass protector outside of Cherilus

Seals well on trap plays and pulls well too...I will come back and LIKE later :)

I totally agree with you...knee...concussions...

Costa would be behind Reitz, Nixon, and Louis. Other than that you seem well informed

I don't consider moving back-up tackles to OG positions to be as good of a back-up plan as having an actual talented 2nd string OG.  Those versatile guys like Reitz and Nixon seem to be important to our interior depth every year nowadays...but, of course, our interior OL has been TERRIBLE for at least three years.  Relying on Reitz and Nixon to be the primary back-up guards seems to be the same thing we've done the last few years (only omitting the name "Linkenbach").  Basically, if Thomas is delayed in his return, we'll be trying to patchwork our interior line again.  And God help us if we have an injured OT.  The only back-up OG of the bunch that's better than "serviceable", is Reitz, and he was hurt a lot when asked to be an everyday LG.  OG has to be a top priority to help ensure the improvement in the interior OL...

Proper coaching, and perhaps a new team could change that.

Grigson seems very high on him.

Grigson being high on someone doesn't exactly hold much stock lately... Especially regarding the offensive line. He was high on Satele and McGlynn at one point as well. Just saying. I hope his hunch is right this time