Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thomas fighting to get back: Grigson...

BrentMc11

I did not see this posted so I went with it :)  Sounds as if Thomas was really 'torn' up in his injury(ies)

This may make the number 3 choice and OG?  What thoughts do you have on this news?  Keep fighting Donald, we need you!!!  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

ORLANDO, Fla. — Donald Thomas' debut season with the Indianapolis Colts lasted just more than seven quarters.

The starting left guard was a critical component of the Colts' 2013 free-agent class but suffered a season-ending quad tear in Week 2.

Turns out, his injury was even worse. General manager Ryan Grigson clarified Tuesday during the NFL's owners meetings that Thomas suffered a torn biceps in addition to the quad injury, something that presumably complicates his recovery efforts.

HOLDER: Do Colts have too many offensive weapons now?

MCAFEE: Pagano says it'd be hard for Colts punter to kick FGs too

The injuries happened in close succession during the loss to Miami.

"In that same series," Grigson said. "And he played through a torn biceps. But you're not going to play through a torn quad."

The loss of Thomas was one reason the Colts had some of the struggles they experienced on their offensive line. He was replaced by rookie Hugh Thornton who experienced many of the struggles you'd expect from a first-year offensive lineman.

But Thomas is working his way back, and the Colts are counting on him.

"He's busting his tail," Grigson said. "He is very determined. He's always been a guy who has always had things stacked against him. He's got that walk-on mentality. He was a walk-on at Connecticut, so now I think he does his best when he's against the wind. So, I'm optimistic about him."

New assistant trainer

The Colts on Tuesday announced the hiring of assistant athletic trainer Kellen Norris. A former intern with the team, Norris most recently was an assistant athletic trainer at Indiana State.

-28colts091513rs.jpg20130915.jpg

I already thought the #3 was an OG.  I know Grigs wouldn't say so publically if he thought Thomas wouldn't make it for TC, but if there are complications I would hope we'd draft two OGs...

Not so sure that the 3 was a clear cut guard.  I feel now we need a vet.  I am not opposed, however if we can get a stud guard...just makes things tougher.

I already thought the #3 was an OG.  I know Grigs wouldn't say so publically if he thought Thomas wouldn't make it for TC, but if there are complications I would hope we'd draft two OGs...

Thomas is suppose to make it back he had a duel injury his quad but also had a bicep injury which he played thru,,,,,,,,,,Thing is he couldn't play thru a quad injury,,,,,,,,,,We need him back,,,,,,,,,,,,,he is good and experienced,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he'll help solitify our OLINE,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah.  If you consider Thornton and Thomas the starting guards, you have to recognize that the only back-up OG of note is Costa.  If Thomas' recovery is in question, then the need is even higher...

X. Nixon can play guard too.  Someone to watch nobody has discussed much is former Bear Lance Louis.

X. Nixon can play guard too.  Someone to watch nobody has discussed much is former Bear Lance Louis.

Lance is easy for overlook as he was a week link on an awful OL.

Not saying a change of scenery/coaching couldn't help, but so far, nothing to grasp on to.

I know it comes down most years to our back-up OTs moving into OG slots when injuries occur.  It's great to have those guys, but really Link and Nixon were only adequate last year at OG, at best.  Reitz can do better, but he was hurt a lot when he was starting at OG.  I'd rather he be available if we need him at LT.  In reality, we should just draft someone highly IMHO to be more of a future starting OG and GOOD backup.

Lance is easy for overlook as he was a week link on an awful OL.

Not saying a change of scenery/coaching couldn't help, but so far, nothing to grasp on to.

He has something to prove.  a lot of guys liked him in Bears territory.  He CAN play center also...good point though!!

I don't see Mathis as an option.

He makes $5mill+ and he wants more.   The Eagles, who know him best,  don't want to pay more.  

Plus, we'd have to trade a pick for him.      This deal is dead before it even starts. 

I also see both of Thomas' injuries as being healed by the time camp opens in July.    Right now it's March.   He's a little behind schedule.    This does NOT mean he's not going to be ready for training camp.

I think if Thomas were seriously in doubt,  Grigson would've signed a guard in free agency.    He didn't.   That says to me we should be OK.   

The exception would be if Grigson is in love with a college guard?   That's always possible, but a college guard stepping in and starting is questionable.   Don't you want one of your top two picks to make an impact in their rookie year?    Not sure we'd get that with a guard........... 

Just thinking out loud here...........

If you can get an All Pro for a 4th....would you pull the trigger?

3rd most likely. Then he gets a new contract too.

A little steep for a guy his age, but I'm all about selling out to improve the Oline. We can't use the knives if we can't open the drawer.

3rd most likely. Then he gets a new contract too.

A little steep for a guy his age, but I'm all about selling out to improve the Oline. We can't use the knives if we can't open the drawer.

Nobody is going to give up a 3rd for a guard that will be 33 in November. The Jags only got a 4th and 5th for Eugene Monroe who is only 26 and plays LT. Eagles would be lucky to get a 5th

Nobody is going to give up a 3rd for a guard that will be 33 in November. The Jags only got a 4th and 5th for Eugene Monroe who is only 26 and plays LT. Eagles would be lucky to get a 5th

I'm not sure he fits our scheme but if so, I'd happily give our 5th for a starting guard. Especially with Thomas coming off injuries.

I think they'll get more than a late 5 and we don't have a 4, that's why I said 3.

I think this O.L .deffinatly will be improved with the departure of Satele just how much remains to be seen.So lets set back and interestingly watch the pieces fall together.Right now there is a lot of directions they can go.

Could not get much worse Brother IMO...I sure hope Thomas is back though!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

No one is giving Joe Reitz any attention. He was our best guard last year, but for whatever reason the coaches kept McGlynn in the lineup, and used Linkenbach over Reitz. Ugh. If Reitz can stay healthy and keep his head from getting dinged again, he'd be the best contingency plan in case Donald Thomas isn't 100%.