Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Compensatory Picks Awarded

Who did Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore, and San Fran lose to get a 3rd round comp pick?

Green Bay - is Greg Jennings really worth that much, given how he didn't really do all that well in Minny (68/804/4)?

Baltimore lost a lot of guys, like Reed, Pollard, Cary Williams, and Ellerbe.  But who did San Fran and Pitt lose?

Who did Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore, and San Fran lose to get a 3rd round comp pick?

Green Bay - is Greg Jennings really worth that much, given how he didn't really do all that well in Minny (68/804/4)?

Baltimore lost a lot of guys, like Reed, Pollard, Cary Williams, and Ellerbe.  But who did San Fran and Pitt lose?

SF lost the S to Bucs, forget his name.  Pitt lost Mike Wallace.

49ers lost Dashon Goldson. Steelers lost Mike Wallace. Green Bay lost Greg Jennings and Erik Walden.

SF lost the S to Bucs, forget his name.  Pitt lost Mike Wallace.

49ers lost Dashon Goldson. Steelers lost Mike Wallace. Green Bay lost Greg Jennings and Erik Walden.

Right!  Thanks for the info.  I wouldn't say Mike Wallace's performance (73/930/5) warrants a 3rd round pick.  Jennings and Walden I can see, I guess, since both were starters

Right!  Thanks for the info.  I wouldn't say Mike Wallace's performance (73/930/5) warrants a 3rd round pick.  Jennings and Walden I can see, I guess, since both were starters

Steelers also lost Keenan Lewis, Rashard Mendenhall, and Ryan Mundy. Not sure which one of those would go into a third round pick.

I may be mistaken, but I believe comp picks are based on the contract amounts, not whether or not the player is a starter or not (although usually the more money involved, the more playing time involved). 

I may be mistaken, but I believe comp picks are based on the contract amounts, not whether or not the player is a starter or not (although usually the more money involved, the more playing time involved). 

I think both contract and playing time (games played/started) factor into the equation.

While the Colts don't get any draft pick compensation this time around....   the list may help the Colts figure out a trading partner.

So, for example,  I'm convinced the one trade we're absolutely going to make (will NOT excite you...)  is we will trade up in the 5th round.    We do not have a 4th round pick and our 5th round pick is our own, I think 26th...   which means our pick will be roughly the 62nd pick of the 3rd day of the draft.

I think there is no chance -- none! -- that Ryan Grigson sits back and let's more than 60 players get drafted before he makes his first 3rd day pick.   No chance!      So, I think he'll try and package, say, our 5th this year and our 5th next year (2015) to move up roughly 15-20 spots and get a better player.   

And with these compensation picks, hopefully Grigson can I-D a team he's comfortable doing business with to do such a deal....

Just thinking out loud here......

The exact formula is a secret.  However, as far as I know, it takes into consideration many things, including how many FAs you lost, how many FAs you signed, how well your lost FAs performed, how well your signed FAs performed, contract and money shelled out, etc.  I would love to know what the formula is

The exact formula is a secret.  However, as far as I know, it takes into consideration many things, including how many FAs you lost, how many FAs you signed, how well your lost FAs performed, how well your signed FAs performed, contract and money shelled out, etc.  I would love to know what the formula is

Yeah, I doubt that will ever happen.  But I'm with you, I would love to know the formula.  With as much scrutiny the NFL already gets, this would get destroyed by the media for any inconsistencies because it will be inherently subjective.  Which I find funny because the NFL rejects Total QBR for the same reason.

On the topic of compensatory picks can can anyone tell me where my thinking is wrong here?

I'm just wondering what the point is in having them is?  

Seriously some guys walked from your team and got big contracts elsewhere.  So what?  It's your job to either re-sign those guys or let them walk.  

Why do you get rewarded for letting talent escape your team?  Furthermore if a guy gets signed for way too much money why do you get rewarded picks because someone else was stupid enough to sign your guy for too much money?

Plus with all that goes into it, it's gonna already be somewhat subjective anyways so why even bother with trying to do it.  If you want those extra picks to be in the draft, just add an 8th round.  

On the topic of compensatory picks can can anyone tell me where my thinking is wrong here?

I'm just wondering what the point is in having them is?  

Seriously some guys walked from your team and got big contracts elsewhere.  So what?  It's your job to either re-sign those guys or let them walk.  

Why do you get rewarded for letting talent escape your team?  Furthermore if a guy gets signed for way too much money why do you get rewarded picks because someone else was stupid enough to sign your guy for too much money?

Plus with all that goes into it, it's gonna already be somewhat subjective anyways so why even bother with trying to do it.  If you want those extra picks to be in the draft, just add an 8th round.  

I'm not sure of the reasoning either.  Just an agreement between the owners to have them.  It almost seems to penalize teams for drafting well and not being able to keep all their players. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24499306/nfl-gives-out-32-compensatory-picks-ravens-jets-lead-with-four

Colts get none.  Jets and Ravens get 4 each.  Not the best year to not get any compensatory picks.

MUFetdY.png

That sucks I thought we would have got atleast 1 for the loss of freeny and now they need to make some trades to get more picks.

I'm not sure of the reasoning either.  Just an agreement between the owners to have them.  It almost seems to penalize teams for drafting well and not being able to keep all their players. 

It seems like it would be a reward more then anything for drafting well.  If you can't keep all your players then you get comp. picks.  

To me it also seems to be a reward for signing as few free agents as possible.  Especially big money free agents.

But honestly, drafting well should be a reward in and of itself.  And the rookie salary figures made drafting well even more rewarding because all the players have to play on cheap contracts for 4 years.  

Really don't think any extra rewards for good drafting are needed.  Good drafting his how teams win championships and everyone knows that.  

It seems like it would be a reward more then anything for drafting well.  If you can't keep all your players then you get comp. picks.  

To me it also seems to be a reward for signing as few free agents as possible.  Especially big money free agents.

But honestly, drafting well should be a reward in and of itself.  And the rookie salary figures made drafting well even more rewarding because all the players have to play on cheap contracts for 4 years.  

Really don't think any extra rewards for good drafting are needed.  Good drafting his how teams win championships and everyone knows that.  

Yeah, I get whaty ou're saying, and to be honest, your assessment makes more sense than what I had going on in my head.  But I think we both agree that arbitrary awards aren't exactly common sense in this situation.  Of course, I would like it a lot more if we got an extra 3rd and 4th round pick occasionally.

Yeah, I get whaty ou're saying, and to be honest, your assessment makes more sense than what I had going on in my head.  But I think we both agree that arbitrary awards aren't exactly common sense in this situation.  Of course, I would like it a lot more if we got an extra 3rd and 4th round pick occasionally.

Yeah it's always nice when your team gets one.  However I think it's likely the least fair thing about the NFL.  I don't think it hurts fairness very much, but at the same time I just don't see the point of it.  

If you want to add picks for a bigger draft then make the draft 8 rounds long.  

So these are from LAST years crop of Free Agents I'm assuming? Wouldn't the Browns get something for TJ Ward?

I'm not clear on how comp picks work. 

Yeah it's 2013 free agents.  

The Browns might get a comp pick for TJ Ward in the 2015 NFL draft.  But it also depends on who they sign too and how well TJ Ward performs.  

If Ward tears his ACL in week 1 then it might not help the Browns much at all.  But if he has a huge year, it could power the Browns to a 3rd round comp pick.

The Colts got a 7th round comp pick for losing Garcon in the 2013 draft, but it likely would have been more if Garcon had not spent so much of the 2012 season injured.  

No one outside of a few in the NFL knows the exact formula and most everyone thinks that it has to be somewhat subjective.  

Yeah it's always nice when your team gets one.  However I think it's likely the least fair thing about the NFL.  I don't think it hurts fairness very much, but at the same time I just don't see the point of it.  

If you want to add picks for a bigger draft then make the draft 8 rounds long.  

That makes the most sense, especially since they awarded 32 picks this year.

Why didn't we get one for Freeney OPC?  Or anyone...

Because he saw all sorts of playing time for us (out of necessity) and then on the Chargers, he registered 2 tackles and only played in a handful of games before he got hurt.  I mean, I don't know how that would have played out in the formula, but I'm sure that was the primary reason.

Because he saw all sorts of playing time for us (out of necessity) and then on the Chargers, he registered 2 tackles and only played in a handful of games before he got hurt.  I mean, I don't know how that would have played out in the formula, but I'm sure that was the primary reason.

I must have slept...I thought he was gone before the season...thus the Sidbury signing....Werner....He wasn't gone?

OK...I get it...with San Diego...my bad.  Not our fault.  We should get a pick.

So now the 49ers have 3 3rd rounders? I think they already had a 1st, two 2nds, two 3rds, and two 4ths. Wow. They should trade up and get Dennard or Gilbert because they don't have very many holes at all.

Just an FYI I'm pretty sure compensatory picks can't be traded.  

But they are one of a couple teams that seem to have the draft strategy of trading away picks to stockpile future picks.  

That said since this draft is suppose to be so deep, maybe the better strategy is to draft and replace older players.  I'm not sure how that would all work out because I'm not overly familiar with their team but I believe they do have some key members who are aging.  

Jennings got like $9M per and that is a Huge factor.

I must have slept...I thought he was gone before the season...thus the Sidbury signing....Werner....He wasn't gone?

OK...I get it...with San Diego...my bad.  Not our fault.  We should get a pick.

lmao! You start by counting how many FA you signed and how many you lost. Then you look at the $$$Quality of players involved.

Seems like we signed several players last season for some decent money. Hmmm! There ya go, we get nuthin'.

Probably get nuthin' next year either.

Just an FYI I'm pretty sure compensatory picks can't be traded.  

But they are one of a couple teams that seem to have the draft strategy of trading away picks to stockpile future picks.  

That said since this draft is suppose to be so deep, maybe the better strategy is to draft and replace older players.  I'm not sure how that would all work out because I'm not overly familiar with their team but I believe they do have some key members who are aging.  

You are correct.  Compensatory picks cannot be traded away.