Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Lombardi On The Colts

CoachLite

" I hated watching the Colts again, and I am sure most Colts fans agree. They are just not an NFL team right now. Watching the LSU-Alabama game Saturday night, I kept thinking, Could the Colts beat either one of these teams? I am not sure they could. They are 2008 Lions bad." -- Michael Lombardi, NFL.com http://t.co/Gis7Q6Cr

Is it already too late to salvage 2012 season?

Edited by CoachLite

I was at the game yesterday and that was all I could think, this is not a NFL calibur team in the worst way. The schemes are bad, some of the talent is bad, some are just missing due to injury but that was about as bad as I have seen them play live for years. Now maybe it is just a problem where multiple pieces of the glue have been missing and those sections fell apart. We know what Manning has meant to this offense but for the defense, to Freeney and Mathis, they have played better with crappy DT's before. We have had some sketchy cb's in the past as well but this year they really look off. It is just a bad team to watch and even though my heart doesn't want to admit this, I think they may actually be worse than the 2008 detroit lions team, they are historical bad IMO.

As for 2012, if there is no Manning here again, Luck will not automatically make it work better in next years season, perhaps in year 2 of his term but this team has some deep blemishes and they will need restored. How are we going to fix this issue over 1-2 seasons, that is a good question. Going to have great coaching and better scheming for avg to slightly above avg NFL talent.

I was at the game yesterday and that was all I could think, this is not a NFL calibur team in the worst way. The schemes are bad, some of the talent is bad, some are just missing due to injury but that was about as bad as I have seen them play live for years. Now maybe it is just a problem where multiple pieces of the glue have been missing and those sections fell apart. We know what Manning has meant to this offense but for the defense, to Freeney and Mathis, they have played better with crappy DT's before. We have had some sketchy cb's in the past as well but this year they really look off. It is just a bad team to watch and even though my heart doesn't want to admit this, I think they may actually be worse than the 2008 detroit lions team, they are historical bad IMO.

As for 2012, if there is no Manning here again, Luck will not automatically make it work better in next years season, perhaps in year 2 of his term but this team has some deep blemishes and they will need restored. How are we going to fix this issue over 1-2 seasons, that is a good question. Going to have great coaching and better scheming for avg to slightly above avg NFL talent.

Seriously if Luck comes here he may find the team to be worse than the Stanford team he has been with - a weaker OL and worse running game.

Yeah and Polian is the "genius" that built this team. Maybe now all those Polian is God people will finally wake up. Just imagine how many rings Manning could have by now.

The only thing he did extremely right was to draft Manning, but he has since been given too much credit for the thing he did right in the last century.

Yeah and Polian is the "genius" that built this team. Maybe now all those Polian is God people will finally wake up. Just imagine how many rings Manning could have by now.

I was right royally hounded on this forum when we brought back Ed Johnson, even after giving him the 'zero tolerence'ultimatum when he signed. I suggested that was the beginning of the end for this team (obviously using a little bit of poetic license....). And when they cut him after a few more games, I just shuddered. I couldn't care less about what Polian once did for this franchise (yea, he won the coin flip for Peyton), he's been ruining it for years.

At least I can post what I want now without a skyful of arrows heading my way!

I think if we are all honest, we knew it was coming, 375 yards and all.......

I wish they'd have some kind of special event where the #1 ranked college team faces off against the 32nd ranked NFL team. It would be a lot of fun to watch. Profits could be donated to the college's charity fund (or not).

If I were a college kid, I wouldn't even mind getting embarrassed to an NFL team because it's all in good fun, the score doesn't mean anything, and it's a great chance for the young college kids to meet some of the team's famous athletes. As a defender, lining up opposite of Peyton Manning would be so awesome (if he's healthy). It would be like the ultimate test. I'd be so hyped to play in the game, let alone watch it.

Edited by ReMeDy

I was right royally hounded on this forum when we brought back Ed Johnson, even after giving him the 'zero tolerence'ultimatum when he signed. I suggested that was the beginning of the end for this team (obviously using a little bit of poetic license....). And when they cut him after a few more games, I just shuddered. I couldn't care less about what Polian once did for this franchise (yea, he won the coin flip for Peyton), he's been ruining it for years.

At least I can post what I want now without a skyful of arrows heading my way!

I think if we are all honest, we knew it was coming, 375 yards and all.......

I know. I haven't liked Polian for a LONG time waaayyy before the resting the starters fiasco and when I would criticize him people would think I was crazy or something. I have lots of people on my side now. LOL Not sure that Irsay will ever see the light though. The Colts will stay with this "stay the course hope for the best" philosophy til the bitter end I suppose.

I wish they'd have some kind of special event where the #1 ranked college team faces off against the 32nd ranked NFL team. It would be a lot of fun to watch. Profits could be donated to the college's charity fund (or not).

If I were a college kid, I wouldn't even mind getting embarrassed to an NFL team because it's all in good fun, the score doesn't mean anything, and it's a great chance for the young college kids to meet some of the team's famous athletes. As a defender, lining up opposite of Peyton Manning would be so awesome (if he's healthy). It would be like the ultimate test. I'd be so hyped to play in the game, let alone watch it.

What a great idea! Write to the Commish now!

I haven't liked Polian for a LONG time waaayyy before the resting the starters fiasco

That whole "resting the starters" did it for me... I still think about that and it just gets my blood boiling. I might've lost it had I been at that game, especially since NFL tix are 200+ dollars just to get in the door (when your team's good).

Wihle I think it could be something intersting for a college team, why would any NFL team even consider it. Injury risk, what do they get paid, might be kind of embarrassing to have to compete against 19 year olds. It would become the Pro Bowl 2.0

And yes I am not sure the Colts could beat either of them

The only thing he did extremely right was to draft Manning, but he has since been given too much credit for the thing he did right in the last century.

I agree that Polian has made a number of mistakes, but every GM has. Let's see some of the good decisions Polian has made:

-finding Saturday

-finding Brackett

-finding Bullitt (yeah, he isn't a superstar, but he was a capable backup and leader in the locker room)

-drafting Edge over Ricky Williams

-drafting Bethea in the 6th round

-drafting Mathis in the 5th round I think

The list goes on and on. There are lots of talented players on this football team. The GM has done his job for the most part, he has brought in talented players. The coaches cannot find a way to get a win with the talent they have.

I agree that Polian has made a number of mistakes, but every GM has. Let's see some of the good decisions Polian has made:

-finding Saturday

-finding Brackett

-finding Bullitt (yeah, he isn't a superstar, but he was a capable backup and leader in the locker room)

The list goes on and on. There are lots of talented players on this football team. The GM has done his job for the most part, he has brought in talented players. The coaches cannot find a way to get a win with the talent they have.

And without Manning, all of the aforementioned players, with exception of Edge and maybe Saturday, look average right now. Who's to say that Ricky Williams would not have been a superstar with the Colts. He hasn't lived up to his expectations, but he is nowhere near a bust and he is still playing.

-finding Saturday

-finding Brackett

Our top three pick from 2007-2010

A. Gonzalez

T. Ugoh

D. Hughes

M. Pollak

P. Wheeler

J. Tamme

D. Brown

F. Moala

J Powers

J. Hughes

P. Angerer

K. Thomas

Out of thise 12 only Four are starting our team right now. Defend that????????

And without Manning, all of the aforementioned players, with exception of Edge and maybe Saturday, look average right now. Who's to say that Ricky Williams would not have been a superstar with the Colts. He hasn't lived up to his expectations, but he is nowhere near a bust and he is still playing.

I wouldn't say Bethea is average. Brackett has made a number of plays for us. Bullitt has been decent for us. I don't think the blame falls on the players, the blame should fall on whoever decided to stick with Tampa 2. Whether that was Dungy or Polian or Coyer, the Tampa 2 is great when you have a lead but not so fun when you are trailing. The players are talented and have made players and Polian did a great job of finding them. Whoever chose the defensive scheme to be dependent on the offense made a huge mistake and if Polian made that choice, I am certainly not going to defend him

A. Gonzalez - Can't blame Polian for injuries

T. Ugoh - Can't blame Polian for a player's lack of passion. He had a solid rookie season, but just stopped trying

D. Hughes - Not a good pick.

M. Pollak - Has been getting better and better each year. People say his best position is center, so we will see what he can do when Saturday retires

P. Wheeler - Has been getting better and better each year (though he didn't start off that great). He has played well this year

J. Tamme - He played very well when Clark was out last year.

D. Brown - Decent back. Certainly not worth a first round pick though. He has been playing better this year, hopefully we trade him while he's hot

F. Moala - Played well towards the end of last year. Hasn't done that great so far this year from what I've seen. Has potential if you ask me, maybe a new defensive scheme would help him?

J Powers - Our best CB. Usually plays very well, but it is hard to cover a receiver on a 3 yard route when you give them a 7 yard cushion. Not sure if the blame there falls on the player or Coyer.

J. Hughes - Lots of potential. I give him this year and next. If he doesn't do much by week 4 or 5 next year, I wouldn't be upset to see us trade him

P. Angerer - Excellent pick

K. Thomas - Lots of potential, just been injured a lot. Can't blame Polian for injuries. Same issue as Powers with the cushioning. I've heard he is a solid bump and run player. A change of scheme might help him (and our entire team, for that matter)

A. Gonzalez

T. Ugoh

D. Hughes

M. Pollak

P. Wheeler

J. Tamme

D. Brown

F. Moala

J Powers

J. Hughes

P. Angerer

K. Thomas

And I'm not sure any of those 4 would get on the field if they played for almost any other team

I wish Hayden and Jackson were still here. The best CB's I think we ever had in this era.

Hayden was way too overpaid and Jackson, while our best cb for sure, was also one of our most injured. Probably because he was always tackling RB's because the DT's couldn't get them slowed down.

-finding Saturday

-finding Brackett

Well you did leave one thing out of your conveinent equation, Bill Polian hired the coaches to get that talent out of them and so he has failed at that too. Just own up to it dude, he was good 5-6 years ago but has done nothing to help right this ship in the past 5 years. He seen the big hole in the hull and watched it sink. I am sooooo done with Polian and his arrogant way of handling this team. At $49 a ticket, we could tolerate bad teams but not at $126.00.

Problem is its a lose-lose for the NFL's worst team. Its like boxing a girl. If you win.. well its a girl, if you lose its just embarrassing.

Well you did leave one thing out of your conveinent equation, Bill Polian hired the coaches to get that talent out of them and so he has failed at that too. Just own up to it dude, he was good 5-6 years ago but has done nothing to help right this ship in the past 5 years. He seen the big hole in the hull and watched it sink. I am sooooo done with Polian and his arrogant way of handling this team. At $49 a ticket, we could tolerate bad teams but not at $126.00.

I thought having Caldwell succeed Dungy was a decision made by both Dungy and Polian. I could be wrong though. I'm not a guy who will defend Polian at all costs; he has made a number of mistakes that have hurt the team. I'm just trying to put the blame where it belongs

Just imagine the what ifs?

Instead of having Pollack, Wheeler, Brown, or Hughes

We had Jamaal Charles, Mario Manningham,Patrick Chung,And Patrick Robinson.

Each were chosen after the players we took.

We can what if all we want, it doesn't change a thing. The draft is a crap shoot, players we think will be great can get hurt or just not live up to expectations. The only thing that I know is that changes need to be made, I just hope Irsay has the guts to do it.