Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Free Agency thread

TKnight24

I think we sign Decker to start Free Agency. We just seem interested in him and I bet Grigson feels that we have to sign him right away or we won't get him. We als have had little or no interest in guys like James Jones, Hakeem Nicks and Jarius Byrd that for different reasons could be picked up instead of Decker. I'm worried about CB the most with Davis most likely gone, but I think we go CB in the draft.

Remember there is always a fog of war on these FA things.  

I actually think we sign Nicks on a 1 year prove it deal.  I sort of think he let the cat out of the bag when he said that he would be "dangerous with a guy like Andrew Luck throwing him the ball."  He specifically mentioned Luck's name.  

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wishing to derail the thread.. never suffered with shakes if you get me or protein in general... now carbs... urgh reflux central. 

I'll meet you guys half way and for an omelette for tea when I get in later. 

So in an attempt to kill some time that doesn't involve discussing umm food anyone care to make some predictions for opening of FA? I'll go for we sign Arthur Jones, the more I hear, the more it makes sense. 

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h

Sources predict Arthur Jones will sign with the Indianapolis Colts as soon as today. Expected between $6 million and $7 million per year

Wow I've never been called a source before ;)

Probably is high, but I feel like people say "they overpaid" for every FA.

That's the nature of FA though surely, you will always "overpay", especially when you compare to some Rookies under the new wage scale. By default surely the economy of the NFL is going through a bit of a transition with that and the increased cap, it's going to take a while to work out what the "value" of players is. 

Seems like a lot of Baltimore Fans are saying we payed to much for him... If that is actual terms of the contract

TIL Baltimore fans don't understand market value. Everson Griffin got an $8m dollar deal for basically no production. We get one of the better run defending DEs in the NFL for around $7M. 

Not to mention that a deal for $7M APY next year will be equivalent to a $5.25M APY last year because of the cap increase. 

That's the nature of FA though surely, you will always "overpay", especially when you compare to some Rookies under the new wage scale. By default surely the economy of the NFL is going through a bit of a transition with that and the increased cap, it's going to take a while to work out what the "value" of players is. 

+1 the market determines a players wage.  There are of course exceptions but the very nature of free agency is to over pay for players.  Plus the rookie wage scale just makes this seem even bigger.

You think about it the cap hit in Andrew Luck next year is 6 million.  Of course it's gonna seem like just about every QB is being overpaid next to Andrew's contract for the moment.

Ultimately what that means is that championships are won through drafting well.  Very few starters in FA play for cheap.  Rookie's on the other hand play for cheap for 4 years.  

Y'all can say what you want about Mr. Chuck Pagano...... but his ties to Baltimore have/will brought/bring us some good things/players

Cory Redding & now possibly Arthur Jones

Only bad seed he brought was Zib

Yeah that was awful.

Yeah that was awful.

haha well we really didn't have much to work with. The first year was a trial & error kind of year

Notice we let go off Zib & recently Satele. We're slowing starting to see the front office get rid of the weak links. It just took awhile to get rid of Satele cause there we no other options really

+1 the market determines a players wage.  There are of course exceptions but the very nature of free agency is to over pay for players.  Plus the rookie wage scale just makes this seem even bigger.

You think about it the cap hit in Andrew Luck next year is 6 million.  Of course it's gonna seem like just about every QB is being overpaid next to Andrew's contract for the moment.

Ultimately what that means is that championships are won through drafting well.  Very few starters in FA play for cheap.  Rookie's on the other hand play for cheap for 4 years.  

Couldn't agree any more, if there wasn't enough incentive to draft well before there certainly is now, why I worry somewhat about how trigger happy Grigson can be with picks. 

I'd add it's very rare for a top tier talent to hit FA but FAs will get paid like top tier talent (Mike Wallace?!.... $17.25 million  :lol:). However  I do think you can fill gaps and build depth with the mid-range FAs certainly. 

haha well we really didn't have much to work with. The first year was a trial & error kind of year

Notice we let go off Zib & recently Satele. We're slowing starting to see the front office get rid of the weak links. It just took awhile to get rid of Satele cause there we no other options really

exactly, pickens were slim in that first year....beggers coudln't be choosers then

Y'all can say what you want about Mr. Chuck Pagano...... but his ties to Baltimore have/will brought us some good things

Cory Redding & now possibly Arthur Jones

Only bad seed he brought was Zib

Zib might have been a signing out of necessity though.  Considering the cap space we had going into 2012, Grigs had to get a cheap player.  We had like 40 million in dead money and 20 million going to Freeney.  

Because of that you pretty much can't give Grigs a negative rating for any Free agent he brought in before the 2012 season.  

Zib might have been a signing out of necessity though. Considering the cap space we had going into 2012, Grigs had to get a cheap player. We had like 40 million in dead money and 20 million going to Freeney.

Because of that you pretty much can't give Grigs a negative rating for any Free agent he brought in before the 2012 season.

Yeah but yet people still bash Grigson for any reason they can find

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! Whatever happens today, I have to believe that those making the decisions know best. With that said, bring me EDS, Browner, Byrd, and Jones.

Phone Charged √

Twitter √

Rotoworld, BR, NFL&Colts.com √

Now, I just have to wait 8 more hours for it all to begin..... :thmup:

I think we were long lost twins separated at birth?!? That's my wish list also. Plus Cody!

Couldn't agree any more, if there wasn't enough incentive to draft well before there certainly is now, why I worry somewhat about how trigger happy Grigson can be with picks. 

I'd add it's very rare for a top tier talent to hit FA but FAs will get paid like top tier talent (Mike Wallace?!.... $17.25 million  :lol:). However  I do think you can fill gaps and build depth with the mid-range FAs certainly. 

Well you have a cap for a reason, you have to get some FA's in there.  No matter if they are your own guys you developed or guys on the market.  

I'm a little worried about Grig's trading habits but the good news is that he's usually traded for FA's who are still on rookie contracts, even if those trades havn't worked out like we would like them to.

As with Mike Wallace I think that is one of the few times you can truely say he got overpaid as an FA.  You have to look at a bunch of other WR's who are getting FA contracts, see what they got and ask yourself if they are better or worse the Mike Wallace and by how much.

And my guess is that you can find guys who are better then Mike Wallace that got way less money.  

The Dolphins where clearly desperate for Mike Wallace and Wallace's agent took them for every penny.  

To be fair his 17 million cap hit this year is the highest on the contract, the actual APY is 12 million.  

That having been said, Wallace got more money APY then Brandon Marshall, with more of the contract guaranteed too.

This is something I'm worried about with TY Hilton.  Percy Harvin got a similar contract in terms of APY.  

So this says to me that team's overpay for speedy wide receivers.  Plus Hilton and Alshon Jeffery are gonna be the top 2 wide receivers on the market before the 2016 season.   If the market is ripe for them and Hilton's agent reads that market correctly there is a pretty good chance that Hilton's agent could be pounding the table demanding 12 million a year for Hilton. 

Obviously we are a little ways away from that but it would not surprise me if we let Hilton walk when his contract runs out.  

Quote edited for brevity

Obviously we are a little ways away from that but it would not surprise me if we let Hilton walk when his contract runs out.  

Good post and can't blame Wallace for milking every penny he could get. I think you're right about Hilton but you'd hope by then we'd have acquired and started to groom a replacement for Reggie which might give us a little negotiating leverage. 

I think we sign Decker to start Free Agency. We just seem interested in him and I bet Grigson feels that we have to sign him right away or we won't get him. We als have had little or no interest in guys like James Jones, Hakeem Nicks and Jarius Byrd that for different reasons could be picked up instead of Decker. I'm worried about CB the most with Davis most likely gone, but I think we go CB in the draft.

See I'd much rather go the opposite direction for Indy. Sign Davis or another good CB in free agency, then go WR in round 2 or 3 since the WR class is much better than the CB class.

Yeah but yet people still bash Grigson for any reason they can find

Well I'm waiting to see how this season turns out.  

The 2012 draft class was epic for us.  If Grigson drafted every year like he drafted in 2012 we'd be a Dynasty in a few years.

The 2013 free agents where mixed reviews and most of them where bad.  The only good one was Cherilus and we paid through the nose to get him.  (We made him the highest paid RT in the league.)  Thomas might be good too if he comes back well from injury.  But most didn't look that great.

The 2013 draft class has so far been entirely unimpressive.  And the trades made in 2013 where for the most part not that great.  The Richardson trade highlights this but also trading away AQ Shipley did not seem like a good idea considering our need at center and Satele's suckatude.

So this season will be big for me in how I see Grig's long term.  Does anyone from the 2013 draft class step up and become at least a solid starter?  Does Richardson break out and at least do some damage control?  On top of that do any of the 2013 FA's start doing better?

And then there will be the question of the 2014 FA's and draft class.  

So I think this year will tell us a lot as to if this is going to be a good TEAM or if this is gonna be Andrew Luck carrying us to 10 or 11 wins every year.