Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Qwell Jackson Agrees To Terms With The Colts

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I agree with this one....since I said it in yesterday's thread.  

I feel we acted because we 'may have known' or had an inclination Smith will stay with the Ravens and Dansby the Cardinals.

Well, the price for Jackson was definitely right. I wonder if Grigson has a feeling on the number Smith will be requiring and simply doesn't need to pay that much. We'll see what he ends up signing for and where: San Francisco?

I don't like the deal, but not because I don't like D'Qwell Jackson.

From what I know of him, he's better suited for a 43 D. Add that he'll be 31 soon and it lessens the excitement.

That said, the Colts D was a mess and needs any help it can get. Jackson provides a huge upgrade to put next to Freeman.

Well, the price for Jackson was definitely right. I wonder if Grigson has a feeling on the number Smith will be requiring and simply doesn't need to pay that much. We'll see what he ends up signing for and where: San Francisco?

I feel Ravens....Like San Fran needs him...Wow what would that corps be like.  I agree with you on the price!!!

YES to both. ;)

Seriously, please tell us why you don't want Byrd. I've seen you on every Byrd or FA thread saying No to him but you never give a reason. The guy can PLAY.

i kinda really don't wanna see conner go

Me neither. I thought he never really got a chance but everytime he was on the field he played with a ton of energy. I'd be cool with our ILBs being Freeman, Jackson, Mcnary, Connor, Muamba(maybe).

Seriously, please tell us why you don't want Byrd. I've seen you on every Byrd or FA thread saying No to him but you never give a reason. The guy can PLAY.

Me neither. I thought he never really got a chance but everytime he was on the field he played with a ton of energy. I'd be cool with our ILBs being Freeman, Jackson, Mcnary, Connor, Muamba(maybe).

Most colts fans don't like spending cap space on eleite players. They say "they will cost too much"

Well yeah!!! They are fantastic at what they do and can change your whole D or offense

Has nothing to do with Byrd. The position Byrd plays just isn't important enough to the overall Defensive Scheme to justify paying him the amount he'd require.

Not that deep.

I don't like the deal, but not because I don't like D'Qwell Jackson.

From what I know of him, he's better suited for a 43 D. Add that he'll be 31 soon and it lessens the excitement.

That said, the Colts D was a mess and needs any help it can get. Jackson provides a huge upgrade to put next to Freeman.

Jackson was really good in coverage last year (which was the biggest issue with our ILBs, if you ask me), and he's a really good tackler. He was in on 140 tackles last year, and was only charged with 7 missed tackles. That's excellent. Not the downhill, in the box thumper that some people want, and he has to get help from the linemen to stay clean and make plays, but that's true of most ILBs. I think he's an immediate upgrade for us alongside Freeman.

As for the contract, it's more than I expected he would get. But I feel confident that the market set his price, given that he visited three other teams before coming to Indy (and probably talked to or got offers from other teams as well). He likely went with the highest bidder, but there's something to be said for proximity to Cleveland, where he's been for 8 years (and Indy is a lot closer than Tennessee, Miami or Denver), and he had a good relationship with Chudzinski. I kind of think we had an in with him from day one. I'll reserve judgment on his contract until I see the details, but my initial reaction is that I think it's a little high, but not worth complaining over.

Well I hope we resign Gordy or someone else for cheap cause Toler damn sure isn't playing. He will be on IR where he has been his whole career.

Ehhh hope away. Lord knows enough folks do it. But stop trying to pretend that your fantasies regarding Toler are a part of the real World. He is not getting cut.

Hopefully Vontae is next, then Byrd and maybe Mack. Sam Shields would be pretty a good pick up too

I think a lot of people were expecting a huge name in MLB like Karlos or Spikes which is causing the over-reaction to this signing

Ehhh hope away. Lord knows enough folks do it. But stop trying to pretend that your fantasies regarding Toler are a part of the real World. He is not getting cut.

Ik were not cutting him but its the most logical thing to do. But why go the logical path silly me I guess

Most colts fans don't like spending cap space on eleite players. They say "they will cost too much"

Well yeah!!! They are fantastic at what they do and can change your whole D or offense

But....can also kill you when you look at paying Luck and Hilton.(Allen and Fleener)...sooner than we think...AC at some point here too.  We still have to be careful.  I guess we HAVE to spend...85% (89%) of it though?

Salary cap purgatory....

Has nothing to do with Byrd. The position Byrd plays just isn't important enough to the overall Defensive Scheme to justify paying him the amount he'd require.

Not that deep.

If I could, I'd break my Like button on this post!

The 3-4 is all about the FRONT end! How else did the rookie Eric Reid have a good year, cause when you have Bowman-Willis-Smith 1 & Smith 2 in front of you, your job is soooo much easier.

Everything starts up front!!!!

I say that so much I'm gonna change my name to for the off-season I swear! :Gaah:

Hopefully Vontae is next, then Byrd and maybe Mack. Sam Shields would be pretty a good pick up too

I think a lot of people were expecting a huge name in MLB like Karlos or Spikes which is causing the over-reaction to this signing

For the 1,000000000000000000th time. Mack is NOT leaving Cleveland!!!!!!

:Nuke:

Ik were not cutting him but its the most logical thing to do. But why go the logical path silly me I guess

It makes no logical sense to cut him. None. Not financially. Not talent-wise.

We knew he suffers injuries when we signed him. He proceeded to suffer an injury and now folks magically think we're cutting him.

THAT is not logical. ;)

The 3-4 is all about the FRONT end! How else did the rookie Eric Reid have a good year, cause when you have Bowman-Willis-Smith 1 & Smith 2 in front of you, your job is soooo much easier.

I say that so much I'm gonna change my name to for the off-season I swear! :Gaah:

I already broke mine. So here you go...

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

It is too funny watching so many 'brilliant' Colts fans walk right by this reality.

It makes no logical sense to cut him. None. Not financially. Not talent-wise.

We knew he suffers injuries when we signed him. He proceeded to suffer an injury and now folks magically think we're cutting him.

THAT is not logical. ;)

If the guy played like Sherman or Revis then I wouldn't mind giving him another year. But when healthy he isn't even that good he's easily replaceable and gives us 4 mil in cap space. As I posted before we can cut Toler get his 4 mil then cut Sheppard cause of the ILB signing them together saves us 6 mil we could prolly get shields for 7 mil. He is better and healthier he would be a great compliment to Davis.

Not that deep.

I don't care what scheme you run, FS is one of the most important positions in today's NFL. With the passing NFL age we are in you gotta have a ball hawk. Bethea has slowed down over the years and just isn't the same pro-bowl safety that we are used to seeing. I just see it as the biggest upgrade we could get in FA/draft this year outside of Vontae, especially without a first pick. I really think having a FS makes your whole defense better since they know they got a safety net behind them. Look at the seahawks, they are built on a good D-line and great safeties, along with the self-renowned "best corner in da league". Their LBs are all young and make so many plays due to that line opening up the holes and Earl Thomas makes so many big stops when they need it the most. I see Byrd as our Earl Thomas. How I look at it, we just got an increase in cap(about 8-9 million) that we didn't think we would have a few weeks ago. I'd be more than happy to spend that money on the best player in FA.

Jackson was really good in coverage last year (which was the biggest issue with our ILBs, if you ask me), and he's a really good tackler.

I'm really confused as to where this myth came from. For all his qualities, pass coverage is one of the weaker parts of DQ's game. The Browns have been in the bottom half of the league in defending TEs the last few years, and have been very susceptible to short passes over the middle.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2013/

According to those numbers the 49ers had 49 pressures last season(Not saying I blieve that site one way or the other but its what I could find), add 38 sacks to that 49 pressures...87 total times according to that  site that a 49er defender got close or got to the QB....out of 585 passes against them......Its undebatable you need good starting Corners, I dont see why its hard to understand for anyone thats ever watched at least 1 football game in todays NFL that your pass rush simply wont get there alot over the course of 500-600+ passes

I don't care what scheme you run, FS is one of the most important positions in today's NFL. With the passing NFL age we are in you gotta have a ball hawk. Bethea has slowed down over the years and just isn't the same pro-bowl safety that we are used to seeing. I just see it as the biggest upgrade we could get in FA/draft this year outside of Vontae, especially without a first pick. I really think having a FS makes your whole defense better since they know they got a safety net behind them. Look at the seahawks, they are built on a good D-line and great safeties, along with the self-renowned "best corner in da league". Their LBs are all young and make so many plays due to that line opening up the holes and Earl Thomas makes so many big stops when they need it the most. I see Byrd as our Earl Thomas. How I look at it, we just got an increase in cap(about 8-9 million) that we didn't think we would have a few weeks ago. I'd be more than happy to spend that money on the best player in FA.

I also don't care how good you are up front in any scheme. When your playing 2 SS your secondary is gonna be bad. We do not have a FS that is why Landry was so bad last year he needs to play SS and needs a true coverage FS to help him. Hell that's not even mentioning all the INTs the guy is gonna bring with him. He would be a HUGE upgradd in our D. Anyone remember that guy named Ed Reed that beast ball hawk from the Ravens 3-4 D??

Holy guacamole.

That's a lot of money... I wanted us to sign him, but boy I'm not sure he's worth that much...

its a front loaded contract with all the guaranteed money coming in the first two years so if his productivity does not match the pay grade by the time we have to resign all the great 2012 talent we can release him with no hit to our cap this was a great signing and I also looked most of the good people that are lower than him in pay grade are all still on rookie contracts in terms hes about the 14 highest paid inside linebacker and his contract is about 8 millon less than he was making in Cleveland and Ian Rapoport also said that was a great thing that Jackson is financially sound because that gives him an opportunity to choose where he wants to go regardless of the money he said that there were teams offering more but he chose the colts 

I'm really confused as to where this myth came from. For all his qualities, pass coverage is one of the weaker parts of DQ's game. The Browns have been in the bottom half of the league in defending TEs the last few years, and have been very susceptible to short passes over the middle.

Maybe some saw the highlight of Jackson reading Bradys eyes and making an int and think that he is good in coverage, He did get good depth on that drop back

I'm not one who promotes PFF as being infallible, but I do think there are certain areas their metrics do a good job of grading, and pass coverage is one of them. After the All-22 comes out, they regrade, watching route running and pass coverage in particular. In coverage snaps per reception, Jackson was the 10th ranked LBer. That's a strength.

How the Browns do against TEs and short passes over the middle isn't necessarily a reflection of Jackson's coverage prowess.

I'm no cap expert, but the 22 million is an irrelevant number I think.  It's only the guaranteed money of 11 million that counts.  So isn't it really a 4 year 11 million dollar contract?  Which is less than 3 per year.  So why do some people think this is too much money?

Maybe some saw the highlight of Jackson reading Bradys eyes and making an int and think that he is good in coverage, He did get good depth on that drop back

And that certainly was a good play.

On the flipside, their RB Shane Vereen had 153 reveiving yards on screens and passes over the middle, and DQ shares some of the responsibility for that.

I don't know much about Jackson. As stated before Chudzinski and Pagano should be plenty familiar with him and hopefully were in on the decision to bring him in. The way it sounds is we now have 2 pretty good starters at ILB. Expensive but pretty good. Freeman will want similar $ next year

I don't know much about Jackson. As stated before Chudzinski and Pagano should be plenty familiar with him and hopefully were in on the decision to bring him in. The way it sounds is we now have 2 pretty good starters at ILB. Expensive but pretty good. Freeman will want similar $ next year

You're prolly right. We'll see how it goes.

How the Browns do against TEs and short passes over the middle isn't necessarily a reflection of Jackson's coverage prowess.

I don't intend to imply that this all falls on DQ, but he does share some of the responsibility. Add to that as the defensive captain, he called all of the defensive adjustments