Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Prospects That Interest Me

I feel comfortable with the Guard situation. As people say, Thorton played better than expected for a rookie LB who wasn't even playing his natural position. I don't think we need a Guard like Yankey.

And as far as Purifoy goes, "Buyers Beware" on both of the corners from Florida. Roberson and Purifoy are both overrated. Purifoy might be the better corner though. But watch the tape and you'll see.

Well I agree at Attaochu, Purfoy is a Safety in the NFL or Nickel I think. Yankey lumbers a bit when asked to get to the 2nd level and has serviceable but not great power, Leans a bit to much on contact up at the 2nd level which causes him to slip off blocks, I think he would be a serviceable backup to start his career that if we drafted him would make Mcglynn expendable or another backup Guard, I got concerns about his foot quickness when asked to block quicker DT's.......I think he makes a serviceable backup who pushes one of our recent Guard pickups out the door

I love David Yankey I love the way he plays and his technique, and a mauler that finishes blocks, very good all around blocker( loved how he handled Will Sutton in the Arizona State game). One of the best pulling guards I've seen in a while which is something Pep loves to do. I just doubt he is still on the board when we pick. He is better than Thornton, but I'm not a fan of just giving up on Thornton. But if they feel he is a huge upgrade at the position I'm all for it. I feel like he is an upgrade

We have to create competition on the interior OL by draft or FA to get the best out of our line. There wasn't any legit competition last year on the OL

Wish I could edit my last post. I meant to say that Thorton is a rookie Guard, not LB lol.

I think picking up a mid-tier guard from FA for competition and depth is the most logical solution, but if we don't do that I think we should draft one. I don't think we're all set at guard because we have no depth, Thomas could get injured again, and Thornton struggled (which is to be expected from a rookie not playing his natural position.)

I think picking up a mid-tier guard from FA for competition and depth is the most logical solution, but if we don't do that I think we should draft one. I don't think we're all set at guard because we have no depth, Thomas could get injured again, and Thornton struggled (which is to be expected from a rookie not playing his natural position.)

True. Depth is what makes teams like the Bengals and Seahawks good. I wouldn't draft a guard high though. You never draft for depth high. If you draft in the first 3 rounds, you're looking for starters. Yankey could be gone at the top of the 2nd. I'd be okay with taking someone late though, if we're talking depth.

Weaknesses

Needs to get functionally stronger to jam/re-route and shed blocks. Gives up separation at the break point and gets outmuscled at the catch point. Inconsistent, leaky, underpowered tackler. Instincts and anticipation are lacking. Technique needs to be coached up -- opens the gate and gets beat off the snap. Leaves production on the field -- in position, but doesn’t make the play. Questionable tackle and ball production -- registered just 24 tackles as a junior and logged just 12 PBUs and two INTs from 2012-13. Marginal run strength as a returner. Shared reps as a junior.

Bottom Line Lean, fluid, fast, finesse cover man whose raw physical ability and testing numbers belie frustratingly uneven performance. Has starter-caliber athleticism and will buoy his stock when the stopwatches come out, but poor instincts, tackling and tape are reasons for pause.

From the article on Purifoy. Like I said, the tape is more bad or average than good. He'll get beat more times than anything else. And he isn't physical like we need. Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins would feast on him. And I doubt he would want to see Justin Hunter in Tennessee.

A player I like in the mid to late rounds is Stanford's DE Josh Mauro. I really like him as our 5 tech DE backing up Redding. The guys effort is off the charts, quick first step and plays strong.
He is 6'6 280lbs and with his frame can easily bulk up closer to the 300lbs mark after working behind Redding for a year. Really loves how he plays.

All the other Stanford players get all the attention but Mauro kinda jumps out at me when watching tapes on them with his hustle and activeness

edit: i found this on him if people are interested

I feel comfortable with the Guard situation. As people say, Thorton played better than expected for a rookie LB who wasn't even playing his natural position. I don't think we need a Guard like Yankey.

And as far as Purifoy goes, "Buyers Beware" on both of the corners from Florida. Roberson and Purifoy are both overrated. Purifoy might be the better corner though. But watch the tape and you'll see.

He has a tendency to get burned, even on routes where there was no stellar break.  The raw talent is there, but he's a project, that's for sure.

He has a tendency to get burned, even on routes where there was no stellar break.  The raw talent is there, but he's a project, that's for sure.

Yup. That's a theme I'm noticing with a lot of the CB's. This is a deep class for them but a lot of them are projects. They've got tons of speed and athleticism, but they're all projects. The bigger corners are making a name for themselves. I'd take Jean-Baptiste and McGill over the Florida pair. What you lack in speed you make up with recovery ability and having a long stride. He's not as big, but I'd even take E.J. Gaines over Purifoy.

Yup. That's a theme I'm noticing with a lot of the CB's. This is a deep class for them but a lot of them are projects. They've got tons of speed and athleticism, but they're all projects. The bigger corners are making a name for themselves. I'd take Jean-Baptiste and McGill over the Florida pair. What you lack in speed you make up with recovery ability and having a long stride. He's not as big, but I'd even take E.J. Gaines over Purifoy.

I want McGill bad!!

The more I look at McGill, the more I like him.  Actually just did a mock draft and was able to get him in the early third.  Doubt he'll last that long, but you never know.  I think there's a chance he's there when the Colts get their first pick.  Same goes for Jean-Baptist as well, I jsut think I like McGill a little bit better (he measures out a bit better too).  Purifoy would be good for us if we had a pair of solid CBs, but we don't.  We need someone who's going to be able to contribute sooner rather than later.

A player I like in the mid to late rounds is Stanford's DE Josh Mauro. I really like him as our 5 tech DE backing up Redding. The guys effort is off the charts, quick first step and plays strong.

He is 6'6 280lbs and with his frame can easily bulk up closer to the 300lbs mark after working behind Redding for a year. Really loves how he plays.

All the other Stanford players get all the attention but Mauro kinda jumps out at me when watching tapes on them with his hustle and activeness

edit: i found this on him if people are interested

I had mentioned Mauro a few times months ago. I agree with you, his height and athleticism would be great. He would need to add some weight to be our DE but he could be a good late round pick.

The more I look at McGill, the more I like him.  Actually just did a mock draft and was able to get him in the early third.  Doubt he'll last that long, but you never know.  I think there's a chance he's there when the Colts get their first pick.  Same goes for Jean-Baptist as well, I jsut think I like McGill a little bit better (he measures out a bit better too).  Purifoy would be good for us if we had a pair of solid CBs, but we don't.  We need someone who's going to be able to contribute sooner rather than later.

Exactly. These other corners need polishing. I feel as if a guy like McGill is a day one starter. Not only does he have the natural skills for the position, but of course his size gives him a leg up. I'm sure he'll have his rookie moments, but it won't be as much "trial by fire" with him as if you had a guy like Verrett starting.

I had mentioned Mauro a few times months ago. I agree with you, his height and athleticism would be great. He would need to add some weight to be our DE but he could be a good late round pick.

Yeah I like him too. I actually like him and DeAndre Coleman as DE's in our system. It would be a perfect combo too. Mauro is probably the better pass rusher but he plays the run well too. Coleman is phenonmenal in the run game and can push the pocket if you put him on the inside. Which is another bonus; they're both flexible.

Does anyone have any game video on Gabe Ikard? He's projected as a 7th rounder or FA, but I couldn't help but be impressed with his work at yesterday's combine.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/gabe-ikard-vs-alabama-2013/

I dont think Ikard is our guy, Not much of a drive blocker and slips off blocks do to limited athleticism, Serviceable backup in the NFL I think when he gains strength I think is his ceiling, Doubt much else, Just not real good foot speed and athleticism

• 2 weeks later...

Personally...   I'd prefer not to invest our 2 or 3 into an offensive lineman.

We just did that last year with Thornton and Holmes and how did that work out?   (I know, they were 3/4)

We need to get quality veteran NFL players who can be plugged in and deliver THIS YEAR....   not rookies who may or may not pan out....

We need to make sure we're protecting Luck.     If the cost is that Thornton and Holmes become our quality back-ups instead of starters,  then so be it.    Luck being protected is Job #1.

Everything else is negotiable.....   protecting Luck is not.

Personally... I'd prefer not to invest our 2 or 3 into an offensive lineman.

We just did that last year with Thornton and Holmes and how did that work out? (I know, they were 3/4)

We need to get quality veteran NFL players who can be plugged in and deliver THIS YEAR.... not rookies who may or may not pan out....

We need to make sure we're protecting Luck. If the cost is that Thornton and Holmes become our quality back-ups instead of starters, then so be it. Luck being protected is Job #1.

Everything else is negotiable..... protecting Luck is not.

I wouldn't mind Yankey if he fell to us in the 2nd. He's the top G prospect in an area of need who could start right away.