Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My "perfect" Offseason

Honestly, more than if the numbers work or not these are some of the people that I hope the Colts would go for/target.

Cuts

Samson Satele - Save 4 Million

Greg Toler - save 4.8 Million

Matt Hasselbeck - Save 4 Million

Erik Walden - Save 4 Million

Leaves about 54 Million in Cap

(I know there are going to be dead money stuff, but just for the sake of keeping myself sane I just went with whatever their cap his was as our savings)

Resignings

Pat McAfee - 4 yrs/14 million

Adam Vinatieri - 1 yr/3 million

Vontae Davis - 4 yrs/36 million

Joe Reitz - 2yrs/1.2 million

Fili Moala - 2 yrs/1.6 million

Josh Gordy - 1 year/800k

About 30 million remaining for free agents

Free Agents

Alex Mack - 4 yrs/22 million

Brent Grimes - 3 yrs/27 million

Jon Beason - 2 yrs/7.5 million

Chad Rinehart - 2 yrs/2.5 million

Jairus Bird - 5yrs/35 million

Alex Mack would fill a huge need at Center.  Brent Grimes coming of knee surgery got a 1 year contract and played very well, was graded as the 2nd best cover corner behind Revis.  Him along with Vontae would give us great man to man coverage.  Jon Beason due to injury kind of fell off the map, but he was an all-pro ILB and has good speed and played decently well last season for the Giants, would be a good fit next to Freeman.  Chad Rinehart plays all the interior positions and is probably better than Thornton, could be a starter or give us really good depth, had his first good season this year so he'll come pretty cheap and worth the investment imo.  I opted to not resign Antoine Bethea because I just think hes too much of a liability in coverage now, and if Landry can stay healthy hes better as run support/in the box, so we need a great cover safety.  Bird would fill that need and help control that second level in our defense.

This would leave the Colts with about 5 million leftover.

Draft

Round 2 - Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB/DE, Georgia Tech

Round 3 - DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State

Round 5 - Tre Boston, S, North Carolina

Round 7 - Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA

Again I'm not sure if we can even afford all of this and make it all work out, but most of the contract numbers I just did based on what I thought they were worth compared to the highest paid player in 2013 via position.

Starting Lineup

QB - Andrew Luck

RB - Trent Richardson, Vick Ballard

WR - Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton

TE - Dwyane Allen, Coby Fleener

LT - Anthony Castonzo

LG - Chad Rineheart/Hugh Thornton

C - Alex Mack

RG - Donald Thomas

RT - Gosdier Cherilus

DE - Ricky Jean Francois, Cory Redding

DT - Josh Chapman

OLB - Robert Mathis, Bjoern Werner

ILB - Jerrell Freeman, Jon Beason

CB - Vontae Davis, Brent Grimes

S - LaRon Landry, Jarius Bird

I would not re-sign Vontae Davis if it costs $9 million per season to do it. He showed flashes of greatness, but was maddeningly inconsistent. Grigson even alluded to it at the end of the season. I would not pay him more than $7 million per.

Everything I have seen about Alex Mack is that he will get an insane deal similar to Ryan Kalil of the Panthers. $8 or $9 million per season. As great as he would be, that is too much money. The defense is screaming for help. If we could get him for $5 million per, I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Also, I would pass on Byrd and Beason. I would pass on Byrd because I don't feel he is worth the big money he is asking. I really feel you can get good free safety play more easily than good corner play. I think you can look at some of teams (Patriots, Packers) who put a former corner at free safety and thrived. The thing about paying a linebacker is that Freeman's contract will be up next season, and I would pay him. I wouldn't pay 2 inside linebackers big money. I would consider bringing a guy in on a one year deal.

I doubt they waive Toler although they should consider it. Players that have an injury history continue to have an injury history. He was great at times when he played, but that was only half the season. He only signed a 3 year deal though. I am not sure we could get Sam Shields or Alterraun Verner. The thing about Grimes is that he also has an injury history and is on the wrong side of 30.

I would be fine if we let McAfee walk. I just don't see the value in paying a punter $3 million+ per season. He was not in the top 10 in touchbacks, which I think would be worth paying a punter for. I think we can get a comparable talent for less money. I also agree with you on Bethea.

I like your draft. Attaochu seems to be rising up draft boards and inside linebacker will be a big need. Jones in the 3rd would be great. I think we can get a good safety in the 5th round as well. There should be a number of guys to choose from.

I would not re-sign Vontae Davis if it costs $9 million per season to do it. He showed flashes of greatness, but was maddeningly inconsistent. Grigson even alluded to it at the end of the season. I would not pay him more than $7 million per.

Everything I have seen about Alex Mack is that he will get an insane deal similar to Ryan Kalil of the Panthers. $8 or $9 million per season. As great as he would be, that is too much money. The defense is screaming for help. If we could get him for $5 million per, I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Also, I would pass on Byrd and Beason. I would pass on Byrd because I don't feel he is worth the big money he is asking. I really feel you can get good free safety play more easily than good corner play. I think you can look at some of teams (Patriots, Packers) who put a former corner at free safety and thrived. The thing about paying a linebacker is that Freeman's contract will be up next season, and I would pay him. I wouldn't pay 2 inside linebackers big money. I would consider bringing a guy in on a one year deal.

I doubt they waive Toler although they should consider it. Players that have an injury history continue to have an injury history. He was great at times when he played, but that was only half the season. He only signed a 3 year deal though. I am not sure we could get Sam Shields or Alterraun Verner. The thing about Grimes is that he also has an injury history and is on the wrong side of 30.

I would be fine if we let McAfee walk. I just don't see the value in paying a punter $3 million+ per season. He was not in the top 10 in touchbacks, which I think would be worth paying a punter for. I think we can get a comparable talent for less money. I also agree with you on Bethea.

I like your draft. Attaochu seems to be rising up draft boards and inside linebacker will be a big need. Jones in the 3rd would be great. I think we can get a good safety in the 5th round as well. There should be a number of guys to choose from.

He isn't nearly as inconsistent as the forum makes him out to be.

I`m sure this was a nice time consumimg distraction. But a, kinda lazy and illogical.

Sportrac is insanely simple for seeing what the dead $$ is. Go Colts!

We obviously have a Braindead LOSER GM when it comes to the O-Line.

Can`t wait to see what his NEXT Muckup will be.

Your 'Go Colts!' is oddly placed.

For me, I wouldn't mind passing on Beason a lot of people are giving him flack for only having a decent season last season, but he was coming off injury and was still solid in run support and he should be regaining some of that former speed, maybe not to how quick he used to be, but getting some of it back.

Bird I think would be the answer for safety for us, he is great in coverage and is somewhat competent in run support he would open up a lot of things for our defense he is also a ballhawk.  Unless you think the Seahawks won't have the money to sign Sherman + Earl Thomas and lets one of the go and we go for one of them I would sign Byrd.  While Grimes has had a bit of an injury prone season when he is healthy hes one of the best of the best he also hadn't really started getting rolling with the Falcons until a bit later in his career so I think his legs are a bit fresher for a 30 year old, I dunno if paying him that much would be worth it, but I think he could be a better midtermish option for us at corner.

Yeah, Alex Mack at half price, Jairus Byrd at about 25% off, etc. And Erik Walden is evidently guaranteed for 2014, so cutting him saves nothing.

Like I said, the highest paid Center right now is getting 5.5 million a year.  Alex Mack has been known to be a good quality Center, but is he known to be the best?  Who knows I was just basing contracts off that number, along with Jairus Byrd, highest paid I believe is 13 million.  

I just really did the contracts/number stuff based off of that I don't actually know full swing how contracts+bonuses hit the cap, etc.  

For me, I wouldn't mind passing on Beason a lot of people are giving him flack for only having a decent season last season, but he was coming off injury and was still solid in run support and he should be regaining some of that former speed, maybe not to how quick he used to be, but getting some of it back.

Bird I think would be the answer for safety for us, he is great in coverage and is somewhat competent in run support he would open up a lot of things for our defense he is also a ballhawk.  Unless you think the Seahawks won't have the money to sign Sherman + Earl Thomas and lets one of the go and we go for one of them I would sign Byrd.  While Grimes has had a bit of an injury prone season when he is healthy hes one of the best of the best he also hadn't really started getting rolling with the Falcons until a bit later in his career so I think his legs are a bit fresher for a 30 year old, I dunno if paying him that much would be worth it, but I think he could be a better midtermish option for us at corner.

Like I said, the highest paid Center right now is getting 5.5 million a year.  Alex Mack has been known to be a good quality Center, but is he known to be the best?  Who knows I was just basing contracts off that number, along with Jairus Byrd, highest paid I believe is 13 million.  

I just really did the contracts/number stuff based off of that I don't actually know full swing how contracts+bonuses hit the cap, etc.  

Ryan Kalil (Panthers C) signed a 6 year $50MM contract. 

Ryan Kalil is the highest paid center in the league, making over $8m/year. Mack is expected to get that kind of money.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/center/limit-25/

Ryan Kalil is the highest paid center in the league, making over $8m/year. Mack is expected to get that kind of money.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/center/limit-25/

Oh, well I certainly don't think hes worth that kind of money.  I wouldn't spend more than 6.5 million a year on him personally.  My fault for the misinformation.