Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

COLTS SIGN T-JACK BRECKNER

James Harden

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many, many years. I haven't read one good review of the Colts draft in hindsight.

If you've watched the draft for many, many years then how could you possibly come to the conclusion that all first and second round players should be starters in their first years?

If you've watched the draft for many, many years then how could you possibly come to the conclusion that all first and second round players should be starters in their first years?

I think that if you ask teams and you tell them that your first and second round draft picks never started and had no impact then the draft is probably a bust. If the Colts drafted the first and second round players with no intention that they should be starters in their first year (not necessarily in the first game but by season end) then they did a terrible job in the draft. If you don't think that first rounder is going to be an impact player the first year, then do not draft him but trade down for more picks. If the Colts drafts are like 2012, great things are in store. If they are like 2013, then the Colts will sink to the bottom of the division and I don't want to see that. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but I personally see Werner as a bust who will never have an impact and probably will be out of football in two years.

Yes, they were very good and played over their heads both years. Their playing in the weak South gave them six wins. Outside of the division they were 5-5. That should happen again this year but when one or two of those teams get more competitive it will be harder to match that record. The Bills play in a much tougher division and it is a major challenge for them to go 3-3 in that division and usually less. So, if you take out the 3-3 in the division, they were a pretty bad 3-7. The Bills have been consistently bad and their management is awful too. The two go hand in hand. If you want a very consistent team, look at those Patriots.

Oh yeah...that AFC East is and has been a juggernaut of a Division over the past several years.  (sarcasm)

I think that if you ask teams and you tell them that your first and second round draft picks never started and had no impact then the draft is probably a bust. If the Colts drafted the first and second round players with no intention that they should be starters in their first year (not necessarily in the first game but by season end) then they did a terrible job in the draft. If you don't think that first rounder is going to be an impact player the first year, then do not draft him but trade down for more picks. If the Colts drafts are like 2012, great things are in store. If they are like 2013, then the Colts will sink to the bottom of the division and I don't want to see that. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but I personally see Werner as a bust who will never have an impact and probably will be out of football in two years.

See that's why I asked how long you've been watching the draft.  2012 was by far an aberration and NOT the norm.  I would suggest you go through the past few years' drafts to see just how many 1st and 2nd round picks per team actually became full time starters within their rookie years.  That would/should give you a much better perspective.

See that's why I asked how long you've been watching the draft.  2012 was by far an aberration and NOT the norm.  I would suggest you go through the past few years' drafts to see just how many 1st and 2nd round picks per team actually became full time starters within their rookie years.  That would/should give you a much better perspective.

If you want a good laugh, go look at the Lions first round picks during the Millen years.  Or take a look at all of the receiver the Jaguars drafted a few years ago.  Not to mention 3 of the 4 QBs drafted in the first round in 2011.

Of course, the Browns first round picks from their return to the league until about 4 or 5 years ago can be the poster for your point.

It will be as long at New England is in it. The Jets have had their moments. The Colts would not win .500 in that division. They lost to Miami and New England this year.

Yet the Colts also beat San Fran, Seattle and Denver this year.

It would be really nice if he can transition onto another position. I would really love to see this guy go 1 on 1 with JJ Watt.

Based on what you saw from him in the Arena league?

You know that:

1) every teams signs guys this in the off-season, right?

2) the odds of him truly making an impact, let alone the team in general are long.

3) To your first post - this does not mean the line is upgraded. It means they are bringing in guys to TRY and upgrade the line. They are not going to change anything they do in free agency or the draft because they signed Jack Breckner.

People keep saying that but the fact is that a first round draft pick should be a starter and contributor. A second round pick should also be a starter but could be developing. I'm not sure any team had a worst draft last year. I guess one must have but I can't think of it off hand.

thats not true. Did you just start watching football by chance

He looks like the next Joe Thomas.... later AC.

If this is an accurate representation of your contributions to this board, then your screen name will be an apt description of what I think of them. Actually that is a lie - they will give me a chance to laugh, which is a good thing.

It will be as long at New England is in it. The Jets have had their moments. The Colts would not win .500 in that division. They lost to Miami and New England this year.

Ok. Your just contradicting yourself now. The Jets have had their moments? Guess what, so have the Texans. You forget they were supposed to play in the superbowl this year right?

The AFC east and south are virtually identical. One top team, another team that breaks through every now and then, a mediocre team, and a bottom feeder.

Winning 11 games in the NFL against ANYBODY is difficult. You can't take that lightly.

And yes, if we were in the AFC east we WOULD be over .500 because we would prepare for those teams the way we prepare for our division now, in which we went Undefeated last year.

Over the last 12 years, the Colts would be the second most consistent team behind new England. So you need to pump the brakes and rethink a few things.

No, I didn't say that. I said that I had watched the draft for many, many years. I have not read a good review about the Colts 2013 draft anywhere. I think any team, even one picking at the end of the rounds would consider their draft a bad one if neither the first round pick nor the second round pick started or made major contributions.

Because you did not read favorable reviews from talking heads that don't know anymore aboutColts players than me , doesn't mean the 2013 draft was a bust. Werner was a bit of a project as he never played OLB in a 3-4. So , while I somewhat agree with you that he didn't show all that much , we have to give him more time before writing him off. We had no second , so that means  1 pick in the first 85. Also the jury is still out on our 4th and 5th rounders. Considering where we picked and the number of total picks , there's still a chance this could be an average to good draft. Saying you haven't read any reviews that are good really does not prove anything. 

Ok. Your just contradicting yourself now. The Jets have had their moments? Guess what, so have the Texans. You forget they were supposed to play in the superbowl this year right?

The AFC east and south are virtually identical. One top team, another team that breaks through every now and then, a mediocre team, and a bottom feeder.

Winning 11 games in the NFL against ANYBODY is difficult. You can't take that lightly.

And yes, if we were in the AFC east we WOULD be over .500 because we would prepare for those teams the way we prepare for our division now, in which we went Undefeated last year.

Over the last 12 years, the Colts would be the second most consistent team behind new England. So you need to pump the brakes and rethink a few things.

I think you are dreaming. I see the Colts losing two to New England and at least one to Miami and the Jets. I also think they would have split with Buffalo. That would make them 3-5 and under .500. If you put them in and remove Buffalo, that makes them 2-4. I can take winning 11 a bit lightly.

Because you did not read favorable reviews from talking heads that don't know anymore aboutColts players than me , doesn't mean the 2013 draft was a bust. Werner was a bit of a project as he never played OLB in a 3-4. So , while I somewhat agree with you that he didn't show all that much , we have to give him more time before writing him off. We had no second , so that means  1 pick in the first 85. Also the jury is still out on our 4th and 5th rounders. Considering where we picked and the number of total picks , there's still a chance this could be an average to good draft. Saying you haven't read any reviews that are good really does not prove anything. 

OK, you hold on to Werner as long as you like. If no opinion beside your own makes any difference then you are certainly right. Hell, Werner will probably join Hughes as an all pro. Maybe Richardson will turn into a 1000 yard NFL rusher. Anything is possible if you dream hard enough.

OK, you hold on to Werner as long as you like. If no opinion beside your own makes any difference then you are certainly right. Hell, Werner will probably join Hughes as an all pro. Maybe Richardson will turn into a 1000 yard NFL rusher. Anything is possible if you dream hard enough.

No .. let's forward all your crap on to Irsay. Maybe he'll smarten up and just make Grigson cut Werner. Who in the hell are you to call him a bust after his first season ? My God , go back from under the stump you came from.

No .. let's forward all your crap on to Irsay. Maybe he'll smarten up and just make Grigson cut Werner. Who in the hell are you to call him a bust after his first season ? My God , go back from under the stump you came from.

Yes, I am the lone voice in the wilderness calling him a bust. Well, let us hope you are right and that I am wrong. I am no one to say anything but then again, neither is anyone else who posts here. I expect a first round pick to start and make an impact. If that doesn't happen, then in my feeble opinion only, that means someone made a huge mistake. I think Polian made a similar mistake with Jerry Hughes even though he seems to be doing pretty well in Buffalo. What I do agree with all of you about is that a system can make a big difference for any player. But, I think Management has to learn to pick player that fit that system well. I think the Colts are trying to do that but it doesn't happen over night. I hope this years draft will turn out better but I wish we still  had that number one pick. I just have a feeling that the Brown's will grab someone significant if they keep that pick.

Yes, I am the lone voice in the wilderness calling him a bust. Well, let us hope you are right and that I am wrong. I am no one to say anything but then again, neither is anyone else who posts here. I expect a first round pick to start and make an impact. If that doesn't happen, then in my feeble opinion only, that means someone made a huge mistake. I think Polian made a similar mistake with Jerry Hughes even though he seems to be doing pretty well in Buffalo. What I do agree with all of you about is that a system can make a big difference for any player. But, I think Management has to learn to pick player that fit that system well. I think the Colts are trying to do that but it doesn't happen over night. I hope this years draft will turn out better but I wish we still  had that number one pick. I just have a feeling that the Brown's will grab someone significant if they keep that pick.

The above looks a whole lot better than the preceding argument you put up in this topic. If you don't like what youve seen from Werner so far , it's your right gto say that you're not impressed . However as you might think he's a bust , we don't have to accept that for the reasons that have been talked about. It could very well be that you are correct and I would go as far to say I'm not confident he will turn out to be a worthy 1-24 (?) pick. I would also say the 2013 draft has a very good chance of ending up to be a bad draft. But once again , I don't think you can call it that until at least 2014 is played out. 

Yeah.. I hope you are wrong about Werner .

The above looks a whole lot better than the preceding argument you put up in this topic. If you don't like what youve seen from Werner so far , it's your right gto say that you're not impressed . However as you might think he's a bust , we don't have to accept that for the reasons that have been talked about. It could very well be that you are correct and I would go as far to say I'm not confident he will turn out to be a worthy 1-24 (?) pick. I would also say the 2013 draft has a very good chance of ending up to be a bad draft. But once again , I don't think you can call it that until at least 2014 is played out. 

Yeah.. I hope you are wrong about Werner .

So do and I agree with much of what you said. Perhaps "bust" was too strong a word but it is the one used in these situations. That doesn't make it correct. Thanks for your input.

we dont need a tackle though

lol...you seem to think the Colts NEVER have any injuries....lol...funny...wish it was the case. That said....DEFINATELY camp fodder....but you never know....I'm sure Denver was glad Clark stepped in who used to be a TE and played so well....perhaps something happens and this guy can give us something if Costanzo or Gosner gets hurt.

I think you are dreaming. I see the Colts losing two to New England and at least one to Miami and the Jets. I also think they would have split with Buffalo. That would make them 3-5 and under .500. If you put them in and remove Buffalo, that makes them 2-4. I can take winning 11 a bit lightly.

Why would we be playing new England if were switching places? The comparison is to New England, we would be taking THEIR spot.

Obviously teams prepare differently for division opponents, so with that in mind, yes we would beat Miami, Buffalo, and the jets, same way we beat Houston, Tennessee, and Jacksonville all 6 times.

We beat Denver, Seatle, and San Fran this year. We won a playoff game and did all of that with more injuries than any team in the league, including our best player. So yea, wed beat those guys. No doubt.

Why would we be playing new England if were switching places? The comparison is to New England, we would be taking THEIR spot.

Obviously teams prepare differently for division opponents, so with that in mind, yes we would beat Miami, Buffalo, and the jets, same way we beat Houston, Tennessee, and Jacksonville all 6 times.

We beat Denver, Seatle, and San Fran this year. We won a playoff game and did all of that with more injuries than any team in the league, including our best player. So yea, wed beat those guys. No doubt.

Wow. First of all, your best player was not injured. Reggie Wayne isn't close to being your best player, Andrew Luck is. The answer is still no, if you just replace NE with Indy, they will not go 6-0 against the Jets, Buffalo and Miami. They lost to Miami last year. They wouldn't do better than 3-3 against that group in my opinion. There is a big difference between those three teams and the rest of the South. Replace Indy with any of those three teams and they win the South easily this year and their record would have looked a lot better. The South is weak, very weak. I'm not sure you had that many more injuries than every other team in the NFL. New England was hit hard and so was Denver.

Wow. First of all, your best player was not injured. Reggie Wayne isn't close to being your best player, Andrew Luck is. The answer is still no, if you just replace NE with Indy, they will not go 6-0 against the Jets, Buffalo and Miami. They lost to Miami last year. They wouldn't do better than 3-3 against that group in my opinion. There is a big difference between those three teams and the rest of the South. Replace Indy with any of those three teams and they win the South easily this year and their record would have looked a lot better. The South is weak, very weak. I'm not sure you had that many more injuries than every other team in the NFL. New England was hit hard and so was Denver.

there we have it. Not a colts fan

there we have it. Not a colts fan

I certainly am a Colts fan but I know their record is skewed by playing in a weak division. I know that would not go 6-0 against the Jets, Miami and Buffalo. They might be 3-3 or even 4-2 but not 6-0. There is simply more talent in that division.

I certainly am a Colts fan but I know their record is skewed by playing in a weak division. I know that would not go 6-0 against the Jets, Miami and Buffalo. They might be 3-3 or even 4-2 but not 6-0. There is simply more talent in that division.

i stand by my statement