Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton MVP for 5th time

Gramz

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is mind-boggling to me that a guy who has been MVP more than anyone else is not universally declared to be the greatest ever. How can anyone else be better when they weren't "most valuable player" as often as Peyton? How can the man who was most valuable most often not be the G.O.A.T.?

He is certainly the "Mr. October" of the NFL.  Just as Dave Winfield was deemed "Mr. May" by George Steinbrenner.

Brady didn't win unanimously in his record setting year either.  There were other players that had great years, but some don't vote 100% based on stats that are put up.  People also recognize that Manning had one of the most talented offenses in NFL history surrounding him as well, it was not all Peyton Manning.

We'll you see Jerod we aren't upset because Brady got a vote but why. The voter said he thought Peyton should win but didn't want him to win unanimously. Why have a vote for MVP and vote for someone who you admit is not deserving of an MVP?

Answer because you're a classless pats fan. For all you pats fans who say Brady should've won just.... Why is anyone even arguing with them? If you don't think manning should've won you either are bias, don't get it/have no understanding of football, or just want to continue to annoy colts fans and act like you're here to be unique and smart and blah blah blah. Just shut up.

That's because most elite QBs are kept until they retire from the team that drafted them.

Yeah you're right Peyton isn't elite. If he had all these weapons that did it all for him like all their yac on screens in the sb you said they had (lawl) why didn't they put up these numbers with tebow? Peyton makes everyone look that good. I don't think it's a fluke he made decker, stokley, pollard, garçon, collie, and many other clowns into stud 10 td plus receivers. Get real.

I think the same thing happened to Brady in 2007. A voter from GB voted for Favre just out of spite towards the Pats. Brady got 49 out of 50 as well. It stinks but let's face it all voters have a bias every year. I don't think Manning should have got as many votes as he did last year over AP who had a historic season on a terrible team with a terrible QB. In the end AP won which is what is important anyways. The winner of the MVP is all that matters.

Does anyone know how someone gets a vote for MVP?

Yeah you're right Peyton isn't elite. If he had all these weapons that did it all for him like all their yac on screens in the sb you said they had (lawl) why didn't they put up these numbers with tebow? Peyton makes everyone look that good. I don't think it's a fluke he made decker, stokley, pollard, garçon, collie, and many other clowns into stud 10 td plus receivers. Get real.

Into stud 10+td players? 2 of those guys caught 10+tds...Stokley once, and Decker these past 2 years....

Stokley played 5 years with Peyton, and had 1 good one....Pollard was a nice TE, but Manning made him? They had 7 years together, and he had one decent year statistically.....I dont know if you know this, but Garcon just led the league in receptions this year, with a questionable QB (and it pains me to say that bc im not a believer in Garcon)....Collie? Again a pretty nice player, but Peyton doesn't deserve any blame for laying him out over the middle on several different occasions?....

The fact that you fail to recognize fairly decent WR talent throughout Peytons career, and give him the only credit, is pretty questionable.....There is a reason Peyton has achieved so much statistically, its because he was given pretty good players to work with throughout his career...Failure to recognize that is a shame. 

As for Decker, he actually had a pretty solid year with Tim Tebow as his QB. 

Into stud 10+td players? 2 of those guys caught 10+tds...Stokley once, and Decker these past 2 years....

Stokley played 5 years with Peyton, and had 1 good one....Pollard was a nice TE, but Manning made him? They had 7 years together, and he had one decent year statistically.....I dont know if you know this, but Garcon just led the league in receptions this year, with a questionable QB (and it pains me to say that bc im not a believer in Garcon)....Collie? Again a pretty nice player, but Peyton doesn't deserve any blame for laying him out over the middle on several different occasions?....

The fact that you fail to recognize fairly decent WR talent throughout Peytons career, and give him the only credit, is pretty questionable.....There is a reason Peyton has achieved so much statistically, its because he was given pretty good players to work with throughout his career...Failure to recognize that is a shame. 

Exactly, but I can only imagine the numbers Peyton would have put up with Hines Ward instead of Marvin Harrison. Probably 5,000+ yards every year.

Exactly, but I can only imagine the numbers Peyton would have put up with Hines Ward instead of Marvin Harrison. Probably 5,000+ yards every year.

O easily....and the blocks Ward woulda thrown, Peyton coulda ran for another 200/5tds...

Oh Hines Ward *swoooooons*

Ward HoF Class of 2020

As for Decker, he actually had a pretty solid year with Tim 

I think whats so grossly appaling about some of the forum members here is how they can take clear evidence to support fact and nit pick little minisucle details (as half recievers being a few tds short of 10) and use rhetoric to say things like (you fail to recognize peyton had reciever talent) which completely tries to ignore the original point of "peyton makes a lot of recieevers better". You use a thesis to defraud my statements that puts words in my mouth how annoying. i do not fail to recognize peyton had reciever talent you fail to read buddy ;)

The fact that you fail to notice the improvements of players under mannings guidance clearly indicate a lack of understanding of the game. I continued to watch all those players i mentioned improve under manning, and do very little without him. The fact that you fail to see this is quite startling. Furthermore the fact that you refuse to recognize mannings success under multiple coaches, injuries, players, teams, gms, players etc makes me wonder if you use any logic or reasoning when choosing what eye bleeding material u posst about manning only winning because of all the talent around him.

I think whats so grossly appaling about some of the forum members here is how they can take clear evidence to support fact and nit pick little minisucle details (as half recievers being a few tds short of 10) and use rhetoric to say things like (you fail to recognize peyton had reciever talent) which completely tries to ignore the original point of "peyton makes a lot of recieevers better". You use a thesis to defraud my statements that puts words in my mouth how annoying. i do not fail to recognize peyton had reciever talent you fail to read buddy ;)

The fact that you fail to notice the improvements of players under mannings guidance clearly indicate a lack of understanding of the game. I continued to watch all those players i mentioned improve under manning, and do very little without him. The fact that you fail to see this is quite startling. Furthermore the fact that you refuse to recognize mannings success under multiple coaches, injuries, players, teams, gms, players etc makes me wonder if you use any logic or reasoning when choosing what eye bleeding material u posst about manning only winning because of all the talent around him.

I'd like to see this 'clear evidence to support fact' that you speak of. 

I didn't put a single word in your mouth. I'd also like for you to point that out for me. 

And yea, I think its kind of a given, elite qb= improved WR play....Thats not a stretch....But who did you watch do 'very little' without him?

Fail to recognize Mannings success? Lol. I lived it for nearly 15yrs bub, Im fairly well versed in Manning success....

Peyton should have got all 50. The Boston reporter should have his/her vote taken away for next year. Reminds me of the MLB HoF voting. So much bias at times. A disgrace that this is allowed to happen.

This also happened to Brady in 2007 when he should have received all 50. GB reporter hated the Pats and voted for Favre.

I'd like to see this 'clear evidence to support fact' that you speak of. 

I didn't put a single word in your mouth. I'd also like for you to point that out for me. 

Sure BUB

As for the rest of the hard evidence I need to prove my original point I had typed out this big long piece of stokelys top years were with manning, and pollards, and when I was on pro football ref looking up more stats it all got deleted.

But I thought I ain't bothering because by providing u with all this hard evidence what am I doing?

If old man Jim walks into the house and closes the door. I know he's in the house. Little annoying jimmy comes from down the street an says where's old man Jim? Oh he's inside says I. Do u kno that says Jim? Yeah I saw him go in. Yeah but you don't knoooow that says jimmy! He could've went out the back door? No old man Jim says he can't walk down those steps. "We'll he caaaan he just doesn't want to...

This all started off by me saying Peyton made a lot of people better who otherwise didn't do much without him. We could sit here And throw entirely subjective stats at each other that you think is clear evidence but it's really not either, so I'm not going to bother.

Let's wrap it up so someone like you can understand.

Original point of my post: Peyton made a lot of people go above their capabilities and have some career years they probably wouldn't be had otherwise

Your post " Peyton had a lot of talent around him to begin with that he doesn't put up all those numbers without. Also all the players u mentioned he made better were already really good because of xyz"

U win Peyton had all the talent, never made stokely, decker, pollard or anyone else better, and doesn't get any stats without it. And the fact that he has overcome all types of adversity, personnel, coaching changes, and injuries, to keep producing numbers that no one who had ever played could hold a candle to is just mere coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

It is mind-boggling to me that a guy who has been MVP more than anyone else is not universally declared to be the greatest ever. How can anyone else be better when they weren't "most valuable player" as often as Peyton? How can the man who was most valuable most often not be the G.O.A.T.?

He can be your GOAT if you want. Everyone has their criteria and opinion. Peyton's league MVPs are impressive but his post-seasons are lacking. Generally you need both to get into the GOAT discussion or at the very least not have the most playoff losses all time and one and done's. 

Well-deserved 5th MVP, quite an achievement for Manning. 

BTW, I never caught Miller saying that he voted for Brady because he didn't want anyone else to be a unanimous pick. 

I really only read this at the time, as Miller explains his justification here: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758500/miller-explains-lone-mvp-vote-for-brady .

Miller, FTR, has no ties to NE other than the one season where he was the 3rd string QB behind back-up Rohan Davey. He's from Michigan and apparently now lives in the Chicago area. Maybe he had a nice year here in NE in 2004, but he never threw a single pass for the Patriots. (His last NFL pass attempt came in 2002.) I almost forgot he ever even played for the Patriots, to be honest. 

Obviously not all will agree with him, but I see that some folks are lashing out at New England fans, as if this is our fault somehow. Patriots fans can't control what our ex-3rd-string-for-one-year QB does with his MVP vote. I love it when someone uses the word "classless" on a message board. (As if anyone can really glean that kind of information about a human being by reading what they write... about... a... game... that... means... nothing. In the grand scheme of being a human, I mean.)

If I had a vote, it would have gone to Manning, by the way. 

(Also, getting a "unanimous" MVP when your team flames out in the divisional round against the New York Jets sucks beyond comprehension.) 

BTW, I never caught Miller saying that he voted for Brady because he didn't want anyone else to be a unanimous pick. 

I really only read this at the time, as Miller explains his justification here: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4758500/miller-explains-lone-mvp-vote-for-brady .

Miller, FTR, has no ties to NE other than the one season where he was the 3rd string QB behind back-up Rohan Davey. He's from Michigan and apparently now lives in the Chicago area. Maybe he had a nice year here in NE in 2004, but he never threw a single pass for the Patriots. (His last NFL pass attempt came in 2002.) I almost forgot he ever even played for the Patriots, to be honest. 

Obviously not all will agree with him, but I see that some folks are lashing out at New England fans, as if this is our fault somehow. Patriots fans can't control what our ex-3rd-string-for-one-year QB does with his MVP vote. I love it when someone uses the word "classless" on a message board. (As if anyone can really glean that kind of information about a human being by reading what they write... about... a... game... that... means... nothing. In the grand scheme of being a human, I mean.)

(Also, getting a "unanimous" MVP when your team flames out in the divisional round against the New York Jets sucks beyond comprehension.) 

Well, as your evil empire tossed us out of the play-offs, some classy Colts fans need some other target to rip the Pats fans for!

Miller? Drank a Boston Lager once......CHARGE!!!!!!!

Well, as your evil empire tossed us out of the play-offs, some classy Colts fans need some other target to rip the Pats fans for!

Miller? Drank a Boston Lager once......CHARGE!!!!!!!

See now at least you KNOW I'm classless... you've spent the time and made the requisite effort to find out for yourself.

I would drink a High Life every now and then back in my youth. Now, I simply don't have time for beer, so I stick to the hard stuff. 

:thmup:

I get his reasoning even though I think Manning was the MVP. If he felt Brady was more of an MVP to his team then more power to him. I am actually surprised not more votes went Brady's way for the reasons Miller outlined. I know many the media were saying the same things as the season went along but in the end 55 TDs and the yardage record = MVP. The award has more or less become a stats award anyways which is kind of a shame.  

I get his reasoning even though I think Manning was the MVP. If he felt Brady was more of an MVP to his team then more power to him. I am actually surprised not more votes went Brady's way for the reasons Miller outlined. I know many the media were saying the same things as the season went along but in the end 55 TDs and the yardage record = MVP. The award has more or less become a stats award anyways which is kind of a shame.  

That's true for sure. Also, a lot of times, media members also go against the status quo and play the part of the contrarian. Just to show everyone they're smarter than everyone else.  ;)