Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos thought about drafting Wilson but took Brock simply for height reasons

bayone

In 2012  Broncos  brought in Wilson to Denver  prior to draft &  ... we loved the kid,''

"Wilson, we had him in, we loved the kid,'' said Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway. "To see what he's doing, you knew when you met him that he had the capability because of the presence that he has, that he had the ability to do what he is doing right now. He's athletic, can make all the plays and has the right attitude.''

The Broncos liked Brock Osweiler as well. And when their pick rolled around in the second round, they selected Osweiler. In large part the decision was made because Osweiler's size -- Osweiler is 6-foot-8 -- a presence Elway says quarterback prospects must have.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/4480/broncos-once-saw-great-future-for-wilson&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

in 2010 Previously I noted somewhere that Seattle got Earl Thomas as a result of Denver with Shannahan making draft day trades and giving up picks to draft someoone no longer in football, with the varying draft day selection order swotching , Denver gave up the chance for the Thomas selection

in 2011 

the  9'rs traded up with Broncos from the 13th pick in the second round (#45 overall) to select Colin Kaepernick as the fourth pick in the second round (#36 overall) at the 2011 draft . The Broncos received picks 45, 108 and 141 overall in exchange for the 36th overall pick., no one of significance remains for broncos

Can't really blame too many GMs for not wanting to jump too early on Wilson.  Height is a pretty important factor for QBs, granted that doesn't mean you have to have prototypical height to be successful in this league... Just ask Drew Brees!  

It would definitely be a tough decision to use a high draft pick on a guy whos only 5'10"-5'11" for your QB position.  Most offensive lineman are 6'4" to 6'8" and can bat a lot of balls down.  

Hindsight is always 20/20 after a draft is over.. no one knows these guys are going to turn into absolute studs, although Earl Thomas was highly regarded coming out of college and was a high pick, so it wasn't that surprising but Russell Wilson as a bit of a surprise, especially so early in his career.  Have to give props to Pete Caroll for benching Flynn, who the Seahawks gave quite a bit of money to in that offseason to be the starting QB, in favor of a short rookie QB.

Can't really blame too many GMs for not wanting to jump too early on Wilson.  Height is a pretty important factor for QBs, granted that doesn't mean you have to have prototypical height to be successful in this league... Just ask Drew Brees!  

It would definitely be a tough decision to use a high draft pick on a guy whos only 5'10"-5'11" for your QB position.  Most offensive lineman are 6'4" to 6'8" and can bat a lot of balls down.  

Hindsight is always 20/20 after a draft is over.. no one knows these guys are going to turn into absolute studs, although Earl Thomas was highly regarded coming out of college and was a high pick, so it wasn't that surprising but Russell Wilson as a bit of a surprise, especially so early in his career.  Have to give props to Pete Caroll for benching Flynn, who the Seahawks gave quite a bit of money to in that offseason to be the starting QB, in favor of a short rookie QB.

agree,, just however Liking peyton wish they used as i had said many times before  their 2nd draft pick that year for a player to contribute as they had said were in a win now mode so i would of also in all fairness not wanted Wilson drafted either

also that year they traded back twice out of first round and in end all that did was get an extra draft pick that they then had to give up by trading down to Draft RB Hillman which also hasnt worked out well, just saying the trading of picks hasnt been the best results but again as u say thats 20/20 hindsight , not that i would call it a fiasco faxo if u get my drift ( lol ) have a god day, I am outta here

6'8 dlineman factor in a great deal in that descion making

Sure I get that but the QB is not a one on one proposition. There are linemen to block and plays that can be run to get passing lanes. I would think the cerebral would play more of a factor but of course that is harder to judge coming out of the draft vs the physical attributes.

No way...they are the exceptions in an increasingly athletic league..

......There are very, very few Drew Brees- sttyle QBs'..and GM would lose his job trying to draft and play them

Vick is 6'0", Rodgers is 6'2" and is noted by many for being much shorter in person (which he hates), Garrard and Jeff Garcia were both 6'1", the list goes on.  I don't think height is a big deal.  If a guy can play, he can play.  Wilson likes to say that he throws through lanes, not over his linemen.  If your OL does its job, your QB should be able to make the throws.

Can't really blame too many GMs for not wanting to jump too early on Wilson. Height is a pretty important factor for QBs, granted that doesn't mean you have to have prototypical height to be successful in this league... Just ask Drew Brees!

It would definitely be a tough decision to use a high draft pick on a guy whos only 5'10"-5'11" for your QB position. Most offensive lineman are 6'4" to 6'8" and can bat a lot of balls down.

Hindsight is always 20/20 after a draft is over.. no one knows these guys are going to turn into absolute studs, although Earl Thomas was highly regarded coming out of college and was a high pick, so it wasn't that surprising but Russell Wilson as a bit of a surprise, especially so early in his career. Have to give props to Pete Caroll for benching Flynn, who the Seahawks gave quite a bit of money to in that offseason to be the starting QB, in favor of a short rookie QB.

Once in a while, you make complete sense, Mayo.

Kidding :).

Vick is 6'0", Rodgers is 6'2" and is noted by many for being much shorter in person (which he hates), Garrard and Jeff Garcia were both 6'1", the list goes on.  I don't think height is a big deal.  If a guy can play, he can play.  Wilson likes to say that he throws through lanes, not over his linemen.  If your OL does its job, your QB should be able to make the throws.

Favre was 6'2 although most said like Rodgers he was shorter than that closer to 6'1. Flutie was 5'9. The list goes on and on.

Brees was always thought of as an aberration. Now with the success of Wilson, the 5'11 QB will get a longer look. If a third sub 6' QB makes it solidly, the short stigma might fall away completely soon thereafter.

I agree...I think it takes something special for that shorter guy to be successful though. It doesn't hurt that Wilson has a rocket arm and is very mobile. But mostly I think it takes something special in their presence and smart...the kid ran two offenses in college and overall just seems to be very special. Every team wants a special qb...but if you don't have all those attributes and your short too...the degree of difficulty has just gone up through the roof....if you have a Peyton Manning arm...and your 5'10....probably not getting drafted lol.

I agree...I think it takes something special for that shorter guy to be successful though. It doesn't hurt that Wilson has a rocket arm and is very mobile. But mostly I think it takes something special in their presence and smart...the kid ran two offenses in college and overall just seems to be very special. Every team wants a special qb...but if you don't have all those attributes and your short too...the degree of difficulty has just gone up through the roof....if you have a Peyton Manning arm...and your 5'10....probably not getting drafted lol.

Exactly.  The shorter the QB, the better his arm, mind and fundamentals have to be.  To the underlined, well first Peyton never had a weak arm.  That said your point stands and a perfect recent example is Kellen Moore.  A few thought he was a lock as a first round pick but the guy is short and has a weak arm. That's why he went undrafted and he hasn't done squat yet in the league and quite possibly never will.  Granted he's behind Stafford, who has been healthy since Moore was drafted, but he's also listed 3rd on the Detroit depth chart also behind Shaun Hill.

Osweilder hasn't gotten the chance to prove himself yet.  He could be better then any of those guys and we wouldn't know it because he's stuck behind Peyton.

That is certainly possible, but his performance at ASU when compared to the other QB's being discussed would not make yours a likely theory. :)

Osweilder hasn't gotten the chance to prove himself yet.  He could be better then any of those guys and we wouldn't know it because he's stuck behind Peyton.

I like Brock. I think he could well become a top 10 QB for Denver post Manning. He already had talent, but he gets to learn from the master himself. Good work by Elway.

Exactly.  The shorter the QB, the better his arm, mind and fundamentals have to be.  To the underlined, well first Peyton never had a weak arm.  That said your point stands and a perfect recent example is Kellen Moore.  A few thought he was a lock as a first round pick but the guy is short and has a weak arm. That's why he went undrafted and he hasn't done squat yet in the league and quite possibly never will.  Granted he's behind Stafford, who has been healthy since Moore was drafted, but he's also listed 3rd on the Detroit depth chart also behind Shaun Hill.

Didn't mean Peyton's arm when he was drafted but now....and no it isn't like a noodle arm but he definately won't be dislocating fingers out there. I agree...perfect example. We even saw Case Keenum who is limited a bit start off ok...but we saw how limited it can be for a guy without great size and strength. We all know there are TONS of tall big armed qbs that have failed...but you have to have a ton of talent to be successful...and the size can't be unconsequential...big guys can take more hits...and hold on to the ball longer.