Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like Pep's staying...

bavanlan

Don't be shocked if we sign a guy like Doug Baldwin from the Seahawks, another former Cardinal, and draft another Cardinal Shayne Skov for ILB position. :)

We will then officially be the NFL version of the Stanford Cardinals, LOL

It seems to be the general feeling here, as if all you need to win is familiarity with each other.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the second half comebacks seems to suggest that they have done very well with second half adjustments.  This is the kind of thing I was talking about before.  People tend to see what they want to see and if what the Colts did didn't work then people either say they were too conservative or they didn't adjust.  Honestly this was very much a second half-time this past year.  So I don't think the second half adjustments are the issues.  The issues were the slow starts as to why they were in those holes to start with.  I also don't think all those slow starts were a product of being too conservative either as was pointed out early today we had the same pass to run ratio we had last year under Arians at 60 to 40 in favor of the pass. 

Now that doesn't mean Pep was perfect.  I would agree he had his fair share of questionable calls this past year but so did Arians the year before or any OC for that matter when you are talking about the whole course of a season.  I do think Pep was young and made mistakes because of that as well.  However, he also had some very real injury issues that a lot of people just tend to brush off like no big deal when in reality he was always having to adjust the offense on the fly because of those injuries and frankly did it well enough for this team to win 11 games this past year and a playoff game thanks in large part to the offense because it wasn't like they were riding the defense to most of those wins. 

Honestly, there is a big double standard here with a lot of fans (and I am not saying you are one of them or not) that when we win the players played great and when we lose it's all the coaches fault and most don't like to say the coaches coached a very good game when we win or that the players didn't execute the game plan very well when we lose. 

I understand what you are saying, but I think those comebacks have less to do with adjustments, and more to do with desperation. When you are down big, you can't expect to come back and win the game running the ball. That's just one mans opinion. We had to let Luck loose to win some of those games, when in reality, we should have never been down in the first place, i.e. Texans at Houston, Titans at Tennessee.

If that's true, I'd imagine he'd express that sentiment before they gas up a plane to pick him up.

from what i understand, he told them before the plane left so no gas was used :).

Well i guess i kinda understand his position. I mean when companies call me about an interview, I go. It doesnt mean that i will accept the job. Im giong to see what the job would be like, the position, etc.

from what i understand, he told them before the plane left so no gas was used :).

Well i guess i kinda understand his position. I mean when companies call me about an interview, I go. It doesnt mean that i will accept the job. Im giong to see what the job would be like, the position, etc.

Too bad, a little carbon in the atmosphere might help ward away the cold spell that's coming.

towards the end of the season and into the playoffs when he put the ball in lucks hand, this offense seemed a lot more explosive at times and some more creative plays can't wait till next season to see what pep does with these guys and how his system grows

It also led to more turnovers from Luck too. People just assume Luck's ints and incompletions were down because he had improved in eliminating those bad errors out of his game and actually it was more to do with getting the ball out of his hands sooner, better protection, and asking him to do less in the passing game. Andrew I know has shown a lot of growth but as we saw especially those two playoff games if we ask him to carry the offense to chuck it a lot...7 ints....almost as many as a full season...that supposed explosive plays also went both ways. I think the plan is still to run the ball first and hopefully successful so Andrew can get the best looks possible off of play action and when throwing. We may have more of the offense back..but I don't think the game plan changes...pound Trent early and often...get hopefully both TEs involved, hopefully Reggie can be a big target on 3rd down and get our big plays from TY stretching the field and in the seams. That "conservative" approach is what won us a lot of games. Its great that Andrew can step up if we fall far behind and bring us back...but to ask him to be Peyton Manning or Drew Brees shouldn't be what we are looking for. Andrew needs to be more a game manager...like Tom Brady was early in his career and this year...picking up those 3rd downs and clutch in the closing minutes or on big drives...he doesn't need nor does he seem ready to be the Peyton Manning qb that the whole offense runs through. If we can do what San Diego did with Phillip Rivers this year...that would be ideal.

I've gotta think Irsay sweetened the pot a little bit to keep Pep around. I read that he withdrew his name from the HC candidacy at Vandy, so I would also assume that that means he won't be leaving for any other opportunities that may open up. I'm so glad, and also am looking forward to seeing what this squad is capable of with those key players in place that we lost last year. Dwayne Allen alone should open up both the passing and running game. Should be fun!

Glad Pep is staying, he doesn`t stink the offensive line stinks.Colts probably had more negative yards running than any team in the league.No offense is gonna b good when the defense knows u can`t run the ball. Luck has been hit over 200 times in 2 years, thats gotta stop or we`re not gonna have him much longer.

We lost 24-20, 19-9, 38-8, 40-11, 42-28(held scoreless in first half), and 43-22.

Aside from many inept offensive performances, we start really slow in almost every game. This has to change.

I don't know why everyone's so thrilled. Until the very late in the season his play-calling was ineffective and out-of-touch with the reality. Everyone who praises the move will be singing a different song next year if they revert back to the "power run game" approach.

I don't know why everyone's so thrilled. Until the very late in the season his play-calling was ineffective and out-of-touch with the reality. Everyone who praises the move will be singing a different song next year if they revert back to the "power run game" approach.

I think it's obvious why we stuck with that "power run" for so long. I think the fact Pep was able to transform the offense so quick into a spread attack shows he wasn't really the problem or the stubborn one. I think he would've incorporated those schemes and formations much sooner if thats what was desired. If we revert back, it's because of the head coach and GM, not Pep. He's just following orders

Not surprised, if his goal is to be a head coach in the NFL then staying with Luck for a year was the best thing for him. The offense was bad the first 10 weeks but after he made the adjustment to uptempo, the team played much better. If he stays away from the power run and goes with uptempo next year, NFL teams will be calling. The Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, Falcons, Jags, and Bills could all be looking for head coaches next year and Pep will be one of the top candidates if our offense is in the top 10.

Looks like they actually told him the job was his and he declined:

https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/424204000645238784

Not buying it. It came from Hamilton's side (which makes it inherently self-serving). Vandy's not going to leak that it didn't get their first choice just like the way everyone magically gets the ONE prospect they wanted each round of the draft.

Not buying it. It came from Hamilton's side (which makes it inherently self-serving). Vandy's not going to leak that it didn't get their first choice just like the way everyone magically gets the ONE prospect they wanted each round of the draft.

That stuff gets leaked all the time. Like it was leaked IU didn't get their first TWO choices for their defensive coordinator job. i guarantee you that story is true. I'm sure he was offered and declined 

That stuff gets leaked all the time. Like it was leaked IU didn't get their first TWO choices for their defensive coordinator job. i guarantee you that story is true. I'm sure he was offered and declined

There's a difference between 1) being offered a job and declining immediately / shortly thereafter and 2) going through an entire interview process and "changing your mind" the night before a new hire is made.

All i'm saying is, I guarantee you Vanderbilt did offer him the job, and he just declined.

Precisely. There would be absolutely no reason to lie about that. He's a good coach and I'm sure Vandy really wanted him.

I'm assuming by staying with the Colts, he's losing out on a lot of money. Props to him for believing in what we're building.

Precisely. There would be absolutely no reason to lie about that. 

There's every reason to lie about it.  It's no different than the you're fired/I resign split; one gives the illusion that the person is in control and the other gives the illusion that they're not wanted.  

The more you get passed over for jobs like these, the less likely you are to be offered the next one.  After all (the thinking goes), if someone else didn't want you, you must have something wrong with you, so the next person wouldn't want you either.  This is nothing more than a face saving maneuver.

If you knew all the connections, I'd imagine you could draw a line from the reporter who reported it to Hamilton/Hamilton's agent/Stanford/Colts etc.

Would also add that it's possible, if Chuck/Grigson/Irsay felt so highly about him that Hamilton's agent could leverage it into a raise in salary or other benefits, and then this 'report' makes Hamilton look like he wants to stay while the new deal goes unreported (because the new deal report makes everyone look bad).

No matter how you spin it though, it makes Pep look good and everyone else look bad --> it came from Pep or more likely his agent.

Would also add that it's possible, if Chuck/Grigson/Irsay felt so highly about him that Hamilton's agent could leverage it into a raise in salary or other benefits, and then this 'report' makes Hamilton look like he wants to stay while the new deal goes unreported (because the new deal report makes everyone look bad).

No matter how you spin it though, it makes Pep look good and everyone else look bad --> it came from Pep or more likely his agent.

all I gather from you is this: "wow this makes Pep look good, then it must not be true! Its impossible for Pep to look good!"

This, by the end of the season Pep was actually a pretty good OC. Imagine him with all of our injured players back

I thought he started out as a pretty good one too.  His biggest issue came when Reggie went down with an injury and no one other than TY and Fleener were being real options for Luck.  It's hard to run any kind of real passing offense when you have one WR to work with, I don't care who the OC is.  So he went to the guy they traded a first round pick for and the guy who was averaging over 5 YPC and tried to run the offense through them.  Once other guys stepped up and became options (Rogers, Whalen, and Brazill) he went back to the air.  It took awhile to adjust to Reggie going down not just for him but for the players too, which is to expected when you lose a future Hall of Fame WR when you don't have much proven depth behind him and the guy you signed to be the number two biggest contribution to the team is coming on special teams in DHB.