Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Pep Hamilton leaves, do you want us to go with Zone Blocking and Kubiak as OC?

chad72

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck is the exact QB that Mike Shanahan / Gary Kubiak / Kyle Shanahan dream about.

Just sayin'.

I don't know what the beef is with Gary Kubiak. He is plenty creative enough, way more creative than I have seen anything with Pep, and he might even stick around for more than 2 years knowing the grass is not that green on the side of a head coach and the fact his QB is Luck.

To me, it would be like Jack Del Rio as DC with the Broncos after he had been a head coach, he has been around for 2 years now. Chances are, if the Colts get far into the playoffs every year, his time for interviews plus interest for HC interviews might not be nearly the same as it was before.

if we go to zone blocking, we will imo keep satele, as he is our fastest on the o-line, and the one who would have to take out the lb,unless we can upgrade to a speedy center

My preference would be Brian De La Puente of the Saints.

With Kubiak or someone from that coaching tree we would at least have a clear offensive identity.  Currently, we have no identity.  Through two seasons, it's been all over the place.  Going into 2014, I have no idea what to expect. 

If I were Hamilton I'd never leave for Vandy since Luck is the present and future of NFL and it will be more rewarding to be his OC in the crucial years of his growth, while Vandy in SEC is more likely to go down after James Franklin leaves.

For Kubiak he may have some good ideas on run offense, but obviously he has no idea how to develop QBs. The key for today's NFL is QB unless you can afford to be bad for a few years to pile up defensive talents and good OL DL. When you have Luck the answer is easy.

Right, running the football is an "attitude" not a scheme.   

BUT...  to run the ball a team must first be able to STOP the run.    And until Indy does that it simply will not happen.

If SF or Seattle's D is playing like the Colts....   they are NOT the rushing force they are.    D is where it all begins. 

Cannot run the ball down 14 pts in the first Q.

Sounds like a recurring theme but this team has got to get stouter up the middle.

You can have a power run game with a zone blocking scheme.....Seattle does it pretty well

For Kubiak he may have some good ideas on run offense, but obviously he has no idea how to develop QBs. The key for today's NFL is QB unless you can afford to be bad for a few years to pile up defensive talents and good OL DL. When you have Luck the answer is easy.

Probably true.  Look at the trail of losers he's left behind as QB coach:

• Steve Young
  • John Elway
  • Jake Plummer (can't all be perfect)

Probably true.  Look at the trail of losers he's left behind as QB coach:

• Steve Young
  • John Elway
  • Jake Plummer (can't all be perfect)

I just noticed his latest work... Maybe he just has no eyes on selecting QBs? As he does not need to select one it might be a good move to let him help Luck?

Not every OC runs the kind of system Shanny and Kubs run.   They run boots and waggles to death off of play action.  

When clicking it is one of the funnest O's to watch.   I have always really liked this style O.

And the focus is on the run.

Point taken, but I think that would be true of pretty much every coordinator...

You win with a QB...   period.   Even the great Bill B of New England looked like just "a guy" in Cleveland with Vinny.

Give him Brady and all of a sudden he is a GOD.

Funny how it works.       I guarantee if Kubs came here he would have another HC job in 3 years.   All because of LUCK.

But interesting thing is both the teacher in Shanahan and student in Kubiak have not been doing well recently, although they had success in the past.

Right, running the football is an "attitude" not a scheme.   

BUT...  to run the ball a team must first be able to STOP the run.    And until Indy does that it simply will not happen.

If SF or Seattle's D is playing like the Colts....   they are NOT the rushing force they are.    D is where it all begins. 

Cannot run the ball down 14 pts in the first Q.

Sounds like a recurring theme but this team has got to get stouter up the middle.

We need to build a defense that can stand on it's own for once - independent of the offense.   

People say, run the ball, stop the run.  I'd rather be good on defense, attacking on offense and crush teams.  You already have the most important pieces on offense to do so.  Now, build the defense while rounding out the offense.  

Matt Schaub was his QB...  would you be aggressive with him?

hehehee   Matty S benefited from that great Houston running game for a long time.

Yes, Matt did benefit from the run game, but Kubiak also had one of the best receivers to play the game. In short yardage situations on 4th down, with the 3rd best RB in the game, you go for it, especially when down. He regularly wouldn't. If Pep does leave, I hope we break the mold. I wouldn't mind stealing a New England offensive coach. That offense, as much as I hate to say it, is able to morph and change on a game to game basis. I love that.

We all want Trent to do well, but the team is not going to be constructed with the sole purpose of squeezing production out of him.

It's not like the blocking scheme is some big deal. No they aren't going to choose to be a certain way to make Richardson good, but it makes sense that he would do well in the scheme that made people think he had talent. Why would you want to draft OL players that can run block anyways if all they do is help the running backs run. 

It's not like the blocking scheme is some big deal. No they aren't going to choose to be a certain way to make Richardson good, but it makes sense that he would do well in the scheme that made people think he had talent. Why would you want to draft OL players that can run block anyways if all they do is help the running backs run. 

I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about now. 

Oh, but it is.

castle-speechless.gif

It's a moot point now, but I'd much rather have Chan Gailey as OC over Kubiak. Gailey is versatile. He has a strong spread attack while also staying true to running the ball consistently. He also likely won't be fielding many more HC offers so he could be Luck's Tom Moore, so to speak. Whenever Pep leaves, that's who I want

It's a moot point now, but I'd much rather have Chan Gailey as OC over Kubiak. Gailey is versatile. He has a strong spread attack while also staying true to running the ball consistently. He also likely won't be fielding many more HC offers so he could be Luck's Tom Moore, so to speak. Whenever Pep leaves, that's who I want

I would rather have my 15 year old niece as OC before Chan Gailey.

I would rather have my 15 year old niece as OC before Chan Gailey.

You're trippin. Chan as a coordinator is one of the best out there. Head coach, you can dog him all you want, but the guy made Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler "frickin" Thigpen look like starting caliber QB's for brief stints (which is still more than any other coach got out of those guys) Give credit where due