Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Colts' Caldwell 'done A Terrific Job' With Limited Personnel

bayone

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess De Nile isnt just a river in Egypt anymore lol. The sad thing is if it isn't the coaches fault then its the GM/Presidents fault for not getting him enough depth at all the positions.

It is very hard to have good productive depth with a salary cap and you have a number of very expensive players on your roster.

The fact is this team as it is presently is lacking real talent in some key positions. We are very week on the OL due to experience and injuries. We are lacking at the LB position and DB's again due to lack of experience and injuries and then add on to that we are missing the most important player on this frachise for which the entire structure of how this franchise plays is missing. It is increasingly interesting how people can't see this. Was it a bad move to structure both your offense and defense off of 1 player? Could be...but I didn't hear fans screaming over the past decade as this team continually won....

The fact is this team as it is presently is lacking real talent in some key positions. We are very week on the OL due to experience and injuries. We are lacking at the LB position and DB's again due to lack of experience and injuries and then add on to that we are missing the most important player on this frachise for which the entire structure of how this franchise plays is missing. It is increasingly interesting how people can't see this. Was it a bad move to structure both your offense and defense off of 1 player? Could be...but I didn't hear fans screaming over the past decade as this team continually won....

I believe the Colts woes are not as a result of "inexperience and injuries". That is a cop-out to deflect criticism from the real issues - NFL worst coaching, poor front office, lack of talent - period. Our O line is improving but is still one of the least talented lines in the NFL. Our interior D line, with the exception of Nevis when he is healthy, is the joke of the league - from a talent and performance criteria. Our starting DEs are part timers who have not played well at all this season and their backups are untalented and probably would not make another NFL team's roster. Our Line Backing corp is small, can't shed blockers, misses far too many gap assignments, are poor in pass coverage and misses far too many tackles. Yes our LBs are 1st and 5th in the NFL in total tackling but that is more of a reflection on the sorry state of our D line and DBs. Our secondary, with the exception of Bethea is far and away the worst in the NFL. Even when our D was intact (opening day vs Texans) we were beat like circus monkees by the the Texans offense. Our Special Teams as a whole this year has been bottom three in the NFL.

Every team has injuries and inexperienced players. They never use that as an excuse (like some) as the reason for their failures. Our biggest problems is simply lack of NFL talent, coaching and poor player acquisition/management.

I don't want to blame Caldwell but 0-7 and losing 62-7 is not a terrific job. I don't care who is coaching us, there is no reason to lose that badly. We blew a lead against the Chiefs, were non-existent in the 4th Q against the Bengals and Bucs, 34-0 at the half against the Texans. . .this is far from terrific. I know we don't have Manning but we could have potentially won against the Steelers, Bengals, Bucs, Chiefs, and maybe the Browns.

"Indianapolis Colts team president Bill Polian does not fault coach Jim Caldwell for his team's 0-7 start, pointing to a slew of high-profile injuries -- not coaching -- as the reason for the Colts' disastrous record."

"How you evaluate him is what you do with what he has," Polian said in an interview Thursday with SiriusXM NFL Radio, via ESPN Radio "You can't hold him responsible for injuries. You can't hold him responsible for an unforeseen surgery that no one anticipated would happen. The things that he can control, I think he's done a terrific job of, given where we are from a standpoint of personnel."

See this is exactly what I expect from our front office and why I fear that we may be stuck with Caldwell after this season. They are playing the injury card and are postering as if they are not gonna axe Caldwell in a season where Peyton was unavailable. This is exactly what I meant when I said I want Caldwell gone but didn't think our front office will do it.

Now let us look at Caldwell and what he has done with what he has had. He has managed to have us competitive in 5 out of our 7 games. However, the net result is 0-7. 5 of the games were winnable yet we have whiffed on them all. I have a hard time believing that with better coaching and in game & second half adjustments that the team couldn't have ended up winning at least 2 of those games. And that is being conservative. Also no team with the veterans that we have should ever lose 62-7...ever. I have seen woeful Colts squads with only a fraction of the talent of this current Peytonless squad that never lost a football game that bad...and these were teams coached by some pretty scrubby guys.

Polian can sing Caldwell's praises as much as he wants to but he isn't going to change the minds of those Colts fans who have determined that Coach Caldwell doesn't pass the eye & smell test. Polian needs to recognize that the more he tries to swat down fingers from pointing at Caldwell by playing on injuries and current personnel, the more he is directing those fingers to point at himself. Polian is doing himself no favors taking this approach to defend Caldwell.

Edited by Coltsman1788

I'm not buying that one. The few games I've seen of the Colts, Caldwell looks lost on the sidelines. I've seen no fire, no nothing from him except a look of the lost.

So if he was running up and down the field screaming at players, officals and such and throwing his clipboard and kicking the tuf and having post game interviews like Dennis Green who would think he is a better coach?

I believe the Colts woes are not as a result of "inexperience and injuries". That is a cop-out to deflect criticism from the real issues - NFL worst coaching, poor front office, lack of talent - period. Our O line is improving but is still one of the least talented lines in the NFL. Our interior D line, with the exception of Nevis when he is healthy, is the joke of the league - from a talent and performance criteria. Our starting DEs are part timers who have not played well at all this season and their backups are untalented and probably would not make another NFL team's roster. Our Line Backing corp is small, can't shed blockers, misses far too many gap assignments, are poor in pass coverage and misses far too many tackles. Yes our LBs are 1st and 5th in the NFL in total tackling but that is more of a reflection on the sorry state of our D line and DBs. Our secondary, with the exception of Bethea is far and away the worst in the NFL. Even when our D was intact (opening day vs Texans) we were beat like circus monkees by the the Texans offense. Our Special Teams as a whole this year has been bottom three in the NFL.

Every team has injuries and inexperienced players. They never use that as an excuse (like some) as the reason for their failures. Our biggest problems is simply lack of NFL talent, coaching and poor player acquisition/management.

So how do you explain the past 3-5 seasons and the colts record?

"Indianapolis Colts team president Bill Polian does not fault coach Jim Caldwell for his team's 0-7 start, pointing to a slew of high-profile injuries -- not coaching -- as the reason for the Colts' disastrous record."

"How you evaluate him is what you do with what he has," Polian said in an interview Thursday with SiriusXM NFL Radio, via ESPN Radio "You can't hold him responsible for injuries. You can't hold him responsible for an unforeseen surgery that no one anticipated would happen. The things that he can control, I think he's done a terrific job of, given where we are from a standpoint of personnel."

See this is exactly what I expect from our front office and why I fear that we may be stuck with Caldwell after this season. They are playing the injury card and are postering as if they are not gonna axe Caldwell in a season where Peyton was unavailable. This is exactly what I meant when I said I want Caldwell gone but didn't think our front office will do it.

Now let us look at Caldwell and what he has done with what he has had. He has managed to have us competitive in 5 out of our 7 games. However, the net result is 0-7. 5 of the games were winnable yet we have whiffed on them all. I have a hard time believing that with better coaching and in game & second half adjustments that the team couldn't have ended up winning at least 2 of those games. And that is being conservative. Also no team with the veterans that we have should ever lose 62-7...ever. I have seen woeful Colts squads with only a fraction of the talent of this current Peytonless squad that never lost a football game that bad...and these were teams coached by some pretty scrubby guys.

Polian can sing Caldwell's praises as much as he wants to but he isn't going to change the minds of those Colts fans who have determined that Coach Caldwell doesn't pass the eye & smell test. Polian needs to recognize that the more he tries to swat down fingers from pointing at Caldwell by playing on injuries and current personnel, the more he is directing those fingers to point at himself. Polian is doing himself no favors taking this approach to defend Caldwell.

Polian is doing what any GM would do. And when it's all said and done the only opinion that matters is that of Jim Irsay, Bill Polian and Chris Polian and I have much more faith in them then over Joe Fan to make the right call.

Polian is doing what any GM would do. And when it's all said and done the only opinion that matters is that of Jim Irsay, Bill Polian and Chris Polian and I have much more faith in them then over Joe Fan to make the right call.

Not really. Not all GM's are the same...some would probably have fired him for 0-7 & 62-7. I agree that the Colts front office men are professionals and more qualified than you, I or anyone else on this board. But that does not mean that they always make the right decisions. You are seeing manifestations of some of their misjudgements on the field each week this team takes the field right now. It is all coming to a head for the nation to see & laugh at. Loyalty is a virtue but not to the point of blind allegiance.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Not really. Not all GM's are the same...some would probably have fired him for 0-7 & 62-7. I agree that the Colts front office men are professionals and more qualified than you, I or anyone else on this board. But that does not mean that they always make the right decisions. You are seeing manifestations of some of their misjudgements on the field each week this team takes the field this season. It is coming to a head for the nation to see & laugh at. Loyalty is a virtual but not to the point of blind allegiance.

No front office is perfect, they all make mistakes. As for this view here by some Colt fans that we are the joke of the NFL comes from where? Yes we got our butts whipped this past Sunday night...Is that the first time a team got whipped? I mean I guess TN is also the laughing stock as they even got called out on national TV for their horrible performance AT home vs. the Texans. What about the Rams...are they the laughing stock also? Then there are the Dolphins, a team that had a team worse then them down 15-0 with around 3 minutes to play on their home field and they loss. It would be nice if Colt fans would just take a deep breath, calm down and relax a bit, it's not the end of the world.

No front office is perfect, they all make mistakes. As for this view here by some Colt fans that we are the joke of the NFL comes from where? Yes we got our butts whipped this past Sunday night...Is that the first time a team got whipped? I mean I guess TN is also the laughing stock as they even got called out on national TV for their horrible performance AT home vs. the Texans. What about the Rams...are they the laughing stock also? Then there are the Dolphins, a team that had a team worse then them down 15-0 with around 3 minutes to play on their home field and they loss. It would be nice if Colt fans would just take a deep breath, calm down and relax a bit, it's not the end of the world.

LOL of course it ain't the end of the world man! Fact remains that this franchise has some serious issues right now. You can't just close your eyes to what's going on. Maybe the Dolphin, Titan & Ram fans are ready to embrace mediocrity but Colts fans have come to expect more. No one is expecting them to play at the same high level as with a healthy Manning but we also certainly do not expect a team with this talent to be losing 62-7 either. Worst loss in franchise history says something for a franchise that has seen some pretty horrid teams in the not too distant past.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Really? The Pats and Steelers doing it. As did GB heck they won a SB with more IR players than any other team last year.

What is the breakdown on both the Pats and Steelers money wise? How much do they have tied up to "key Personal"? I am willing to bet the Colts are much more top heavy (few players with bigger salaries) over both the Pats and Steelers. Outside of Tom Brady, who is the Pats next big payroll on their team? With the Steelers you have Ben, Troy who both have big salaries but whom else.

Really? I've been reading and writing about how bad this defense, O-Line, and running game has been on this forum for the past few years now. Get a clue, this team sucks.

LOL of course it ain't the end of the world man! Fact remains that this franchise has some serious issues right now. You can't just close your eyes to what's going on. Maybe the Dolphin, Titan & Ram fans are ready to embrace mediocrity but Colts fans have come to expect more. No one is expecting them to play at the same high level as with a healthy Manning but we also certainly do not expect a team with this talent to be losing 62-7 either. Worst loss in franchise history says something for a franchise that has seen some pretty horrid teams in the not too distant past.

More so:

Titans -- Surprise team as they have a better record than expected, abad loss yes but they exceeding expectation.

Miami -- has no QB and was expecting be sucking for Luck, fans are embrassing the losses.

Rams -- Young QB and have a KILLER schedule but they are also calling for their coaches head dispite the youth of the team.

Colts -- were SB contenders before Manning went down now with him gone they went from the PENTHOUSE TO THE OUTHOUSE. For everyone blaming injuries how do you explain the terrible start before the imjuries? Fans be crazy not be very disappointed in this team, esp since it isd not a rookie or 2nd yr laden team.

LOL of course it ain't the end of the world man! Fact remains that this franchise has some serious issues right now. You can't just close your eyes to what's going on. Maybe the Titan & Dolphin fans are ready to embrace mediocrity but Colts fans have come to expect more. No one is expecting them to play at the same high level as with a healthy Manning but we also certainly do not expect a team with this talent to be losing 62-7 either. Worst loss in franchise history says something for a franchise that has seen some pretty horrid teams in the not too distant past.

I refuse to run around like Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling off of 1 season. I understand some poor drafting has happened and add in key injuries and such you have a season like this. I am willing to accept this season for what it is, see the positives of what will come from this year.

So how do you explain the past 3-5 seasons and the colts record?

Winning in spite of a ton of deficiencies because you have an awesome QB, plain and simple. No running game, no time to throw the ball, embarrassingly hard to watch defense, have you really never noticed this before? It's been going on for awhile now, and needs to be addressed. They need to cut loose of some of these scrubs and acquire a couple of NFL caliber players through free agency in the off-season, as well as in the draft.

More so:

Titans -- Surprise team as they have a better record than expected, abad loss yes but they exceeding expectation.

Miami -- has no QB and was expecting be sucking for Luck, fans are embrassing the losses.

Rams -- Young QB and have a KILLER schedule but they are also calling for their coaches head dispite the youth of the team.

Colts -- were SB contenders before Manning went down now with him gone they went from the PENTHOUSE TO THE OUTHOUSE. For everyone blaming injuries how do you explain the terrible start before the imjuries? Fans be crazy not be very disappointed in this team, esp since it isd not a rookie or 2nd yr laden team.

Exactly WHOM saw the Colts as SB contenders this season before Manning went down? Anyone who looked at this overall team sure didn't. IN fact most "experts" had the Colts at 8 to 9 wins total this year with a healthy Peyton.

What is the breakdown on both the Pats and Steelers money wise? How much do they have tied up to "key Personal"? I am willing to bet the Colts are much more top heavy (few players with bigger salaries) over both the Pats and Steelers. Outside of Tom Brady, who is the Pats next big payroll on their team? With the Steelers you have Ben, Troy who both have big salaries but whom else.

Isn't that AGAIN a prbl with you FO having to MANY high priced players? Pats have Brady,Mankins,Wilfolk As there top 3 in payroll (Welker I hope be added to this next year he earned it.)