Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospects Colts Fans Should Know About

The Colts could pick a receiver in this draft, and a prospect that fans should know is my super sleeper before the season and maybe my favorite prospect Brandin Cooks. The guy is super quick, has great reliable hands, and is a very solid route runner who pays attention to detail.

Last year my favorite prospect was Keenan Allen. I think Cooks could end up the same. 

The Colts could pick a receiver in this draft, and a prospect that fans should know is my super sleeper before the season and maybe my favorite prospect Brandin Cooks. The guy is super quick, has great reliable hands, and is a very solid route runner who pays attention to detail.

Last year my favorite prospect was Keenan Allen. I think Cooks could end up the same.

Cooks isn't a big target by any means but he has a ton of potential..

Do you think he's there when we pick in round 2?

My problem with Cooks is I feel we need a big WR who can maybe play the Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson ( not exactly like Megatron but if we can that would be great) who is a Height-Weight-Speed guy who can catch and outrun/outjump a corner.

A couple of people who may be a good fit are Allen Robinson from PSU or Cody Hoffman from BYU. Martavis Bryant from Clemson could be interesting but I need to watch more tape on him and Cody Latimer from Indiana seems decent but again I need to see more tape on him.

As for Keenan Allen Andy, in terms of measurables, alot of these guys can be used for comparisons especially Allen Robinson ( 6'3 208 lbs to Allen's 6'2 213 lbs frame) 

My problem with Cooks is I feel we need a big WR who can maybe play the Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson ( not exactly like Megatron but if we can that would be great) who is a Height-Weight-Speed guy who can catch and outrun/outjump a corner.

A couple of people who may be a good fit are Allen Robinson from PSU or Cody Hoffman from BYU. Martavis Bryant from Clemson could be interesting but I need to watch more tape on him and Cody Latimer from Indiana seems decent but again I need to see more tape on him.

As for Keenan Allen Andy, in terms of measurables, alot of these guys can be used for comparisons especially Allen Robinson ( 6'3 208 lbs to Allen's 6'2 213 lbs frame) 

The Colts don't need a big WR. Of course, if they can find a good one, that's a bonus, but the Colts survived for more than a decade with receivers under 6 feet, and they're still doing it now. Many teams still operate with smaller receivers and they are great. Smaller receivers have things big receivers don't have and vice versa.

As for Keenan Allen, I said Cooks could end up being like Allen in terms of production and in term of his impact. I didn't mean to imply that we need a Keenan Allen type body. I just said that last year my favorite prospect was Allen and I'm saying the same about Cooks. If Cooks is there in the 2nd, I hope the Colts give him a long consideration.

Any sleepers that we might be able to get in the 3rd round?  

I honestly don't see us taking a receiver in the 2nd.  We'll be drafting at the bottom of the 2nd round and most of the best ones will probably be gone by then.  On top of that, with Rodgers and Whalen stepping up and producing we have more pressing needs then WR.

However I wouldn't be too surprised if we grabbed one in the 3rd if we could get a sleeper.

If we got a guy who can produce like TY Hilton has in the bottom of the 3rd (like where we got TY) we would be doing good.  

Dont want Cooks, I like him but I'd be scared a great gust of wind would come along and blow him away and then there goes our #2 draft pick, Hes speedy in the open field and good but not great hands. Probably winds up as a slot wr, Returner in the NFL, Maybe is listed as an Offensive Weapon....Im really looking hard at this Martavis Bryant, I think another name will climb up draft boards isJeff Janis from Saginaw Valley, CBS Sports had this kid a late round prospect but now they  have him going at the bottom of 4 or top of 5. I think think he climbs to somewhere in the 3rd before its all said and done, Hes got speed, great hands, size 6'3 218lbs, runs good routes

Dont want Cooks, I like him but I'd be scared a great gust of wind would come along and blow him away and then there goes our #2 draft pick, Hes speedy in the open field and good but not great hands. Probably winds up as a slot wr, Returner in the NFL, Maybe is listed as an Offensive Weapon....Im really looking hard at this Martavis Bryant, I think another name will climb up draft boards isJeff Janis from Saginaw Valley, CBS Sports had this kid a late round prospect but now they  have him going at the bottom of 4 or top of 5. I think think he climbs to somewhere in the 3rd before its all said and done, Hes got speed, great hands, size 6'3 218lbs, runs good routes

A lot is wrong with this...

For starters, there are only a small handful of receivers in the country who have better hands than Cooks. He had one of the lowest drop rates in the country for starting receivers.

He's not tiny. He's 5'10 1/2 and has gained several pounds of bulk over the course of the season, while maintaining his speed. Not big, but he's bigger than TY Hilton and Steve Smith and guys like that. Not big, but not tiny.

I can tell you as a former receiver, that he is one of the best route runners in this draft. He can play outside and inside thanks to his versatility. If he's there in the 2nd round (like I said in my other post), I really hope the Colts take a long look at him. 

A lot is wrong with this...

For starters, there are only a small handful of receivers in the country who have better hands than Cooks. He had one of the lowest drop rates in the country for starting receivers.

He's not tiny. He's 5'10 1/2 and has gained several pounds of bulk over the course of the season, while maintaining his speed. Not big, but he's bigger than TY Hilton and Steve Smith and guys like that. Not big, but not tiny.

I can tell you as a former receiver, that he is one of the best route runners in this draft. He can play outside and inside thanks to his versatility. If he's there in the 2nd round (like I said in my other post), I really hope the Colts take a long look at him. 

For starters, there are only a small handful of receivers in the country who have better hands than Cooks. He had one of the lowest drop rates in the country for starting receivers

Stats to back that up?

I didn't bring up his size as a means to say he wont be good...(I like him as  a slot receiver), that would be foolish, However Lucks inconsistent on his ball placement and a big wr would help that out that can catch, He would be neautralized for the most part versus physical Corners as well as different types of bracket coverage, we already see that with Hilton, when defenses break from that can beat them deep

However Lucks inconsistent on his ball placement and a big wr would help that out that can catch, He would be neautralized for the most part versus physical Corners as well as different types of bracket coverage, we already see that with Hilton, when defenses break from that can beat them deep

When Luck was in college, one of his best qualities was his............       Ball placement.      Seriously.    Not only did he complete 70% of his passes for two years in a row,  but he mostly completed them in a spot where the receiver would not have to break stride and could keep running for more yards.

I know you haven't seen much of that for his first two years.     But I think you'll see more of that over the remainder of his career.     I expect Luck to get better -- much better, frankly -- over the next two to three years.    Seriously.    He's not close to being the finished product of a quarterback.   He will work hard in the off-season to get better.

I attribute most of his poor ball placement in his first two years to the very poor offensive line play that has kept him scrambling for his life.     Once he gets better line play in front of him, and the game continues to slow down,  and we get a better running game,  etc.   I think you'll see a dramatically better Andrew Luck.

Honestly,  with Luck,  I think the best is yet to come!         :thmup:

For starters, there are only a small handful of receivers in the country who have better hands than Cooks. He had one of the lowest drop rates in the country for starting receivers

Stats to back that up?

I didn't bring up his size as a means to say he wont be good...(I like him as  a slot receiver), that would be foolish, However Lucks inconsistent on his ball placement and a big wr would help that out that can catch, He would be neautralized for the most part versus physical Corners as well as different types of bracket coverage, we already see that with Hilton, when defenses break from that can beat them deep

OK, I'll address your drop rate question first. He has a 4.1% drop rate (http://filmroomjunkie.blogspot.com/2013/11/brandin-cooks-will-be-this-years-steal.html) which is just unbelievable, and yes one of the best in the country.

Here's the thing, smaller guys have advantages and skills that bigger guys usually don't have, and vice versa. The big receivers in this draft, with the exception of Evans, are guys who are pure big guys, as I like to call them. They are physical, they are great redzone targets, but they are not as quick, agile or saavy as a guy like Cooks. The sub 6 foot guys fit this system perfectly. TY and Reggie are not big guys that are perfect for this system. I don't necessarily think that having a bigger guy will make it easier for Luck to throw the football. Funny too, one thing that I notice from every game I've seen from Cooks, and I've seen a lot, is that he tracks the ball as well as any receiver in the country. That's something Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, Rob Rang and the guy in that link above all point out as well. He just has a knack for that, which is a huge bonus for a guy under 6'. 

As NewColtsfan already said too, you're 100% wrong on Luck's ball placement being his problem. That's one of his strengths and I agree with him that the slight inconstancies are because of the O-line, not Luck. 

As for your theory about bigger guys overpowering cornerbacks, that's not necessarily true. The smaller guys give cornerbacks just as much trouble with their speed and agility (quick twitch movements). Bigger guys will be able to overpower little guys, and smaller guys will have a better chance of getting around bigger guys easier. If you get a guy like Bryant, who you like; if you put him against a guy like Talib or Browner or Sherman in the NFL, he'll be stuffed a lot at the line. It's something Bryant actually struggles with at times against big cornerbacks. Also with TY Hiton, which big physical cornerbacks have been able to shut him down? Out of the cornerbacks that I consider to be physical (not necessarily big), TY has managed to do well against them. Brandon Flowers, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Sherman, just to name a few. Like I said, TY uses his speed to beat bigger cornerbacks. It's the bigger more athletic ones that can give people like him trouble. 

So, don't think bigger is better because they have disadvantages that smaller receivers don't necessarily have and it definitely will not (necessarily) make Luck's life easier. If bigger receivers made QB's lives easier, then every team in the NFL would have 6'4+ receivers. There's only one team like that lol. 

Now, if you read my other posts too, you'll read that I didn't say the Colts must draft him. They don't have too, but I'll keep reiterating it until draft day, if he's there in the 2nd round, and the Colts have the chance to take him, they should take a long look at him. There are a bunch of great players at a lot of positions that are worth consideration as well. 

OK, I'll address your drop rate question first. He has a 4.1% drop rate (http://filmroomjunkie.blogspot.com/2013/11/brandin-cooks-will-be-this-years-steal.html) which is just unbelievable, and yes one of the best in the country.

Here's the thing, smaller guys have advantages and skills that bigger guys usually don't have, and vice versa. The big receivers in this draft, with the exception of Evans, are guys who are pure big guys, as I like to call them. They are physical, they are great redzone targets, but they are not as quick, agile or saavy as a guy like Cooks. The sub 6 foot guys fit this system perfectly. TY and Reggie are not big guys that are perfect for this system. I don't necessarily think that having a bigger guy will make it easier for Luck to throw the football. Funny too, one thing that I notice from every game I've seen from Cooks, and I've seen a lot, is that he tracks the ball as well as any receiver in the country. That's something Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, Rob Rang and the guy in that link above all point out as well. He just has a knack for that, which is a huge bonus for a guy under 6'.

As NewColtsfan already said too, you're 100% wrong on Luck's ball placement being his problem. That's one of his strengths and I agree with him that the slight inconstancies are because of the O-line, not Luck.

As for your theory about bigger guys overpowering cornerbacks, that's not necessarily true. The smaller guys give cornerbacks just as much trouble with their speed and agility (quick twitch movements). Bigger guys will be able to overpower little guys, and smaller guys will have a better chance of getting around bigger guys easier. If you get a guy like Bryant, who you like; if you put him against a guy like Talib or Browner or Sherman in the NFL, he'll be stuffed a lot at the line. It's something Bryant actually struggles with at times against big cornerbacks. Also with TY Hiton, which big physical cornerbacks have been able to shut him down? Out of the cornerbacks that I consider to be physical (not necessarily big), TY has managed to do well against them. Brandon Flowers, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Sherman, just to name a few. Like I said, TY uses his speed to beat bigger cornerbacks. It's the bigger more athletic ones that can give people like him trouble.

So, don't think bigger is better because they have disadvantages that smaller receivers don't necessarily have and it definitely will not (necessarily) make Luck's life easier. If bigger receivers made QB's lives easier, then every team in the NFL would have 6'4+ receivers. There's only one team like that lol.

Now, if you read my other posts too, you'll read that I didn't say the Colts must draft him. They don't have too, but I'll keep reiterating it until draft day, if he's there in the 2nd round, and the Colts have the chance to take him, they should take a long look at him. There are a bunch of great players at a lot of positions that are worth consideration as well.

There is no denying Cooks is a good WR; with that being said Andy, after this season, only Wayne and Rogers will be the WRs on our roster 6 ft or over so that's one way of looking at it. Secobdly, I saw how the smaller Wrs lite up Sherman, Browner, Flowers etc but when we play these teams again, couldn't draft a big guy like Allen Robinson and line him up in the slot sometimes and have Hilton on Sherman or Browner etc.

You also mentioned Steve Smith, don't get me wrong, he is a good receiver. But in this league, a lot of the big name WRs are the likes of Brandon Marshall,Calvin Johnson,Josh Gordon- all 6'3 or over, so height must carry some value.

When Luck was in college, one of his best qualities was his............       Ball placement.      Seriously.    Not only did he complete 70% of his passes for two years in a row,  but he mostly completed them in a spot where the receiver would not have to break stride and could keep running for more yards.

I know you haven't seen much of that for his first two years.     But I think you'll see more of that over the remainder of his career.     I expect Luck to get better -- much better, frankly -- over the next two to three years.    Seriously.    He's not close to being the finished product of a quarterback.   He will work hard in the off-season to get better.

I attribute most of his poor ball placement in his first two years to the very poor offensive line play that has kept him scrambling for his life.     Once he gets better line play in front of him, and the game continues to slow down,  and we get a better running game,  etc.   I think you'll see a dramatically better Andrew Luck.

Honestly,  with Luck,  I think the best is yet to come!         :thmup:

Yeah...I kinda disagree with that.  I wasn't overly impressed with Luck's ball placement at Stanford, especially when under pressure (which was not very often).  He threw to wide open targets quite a bit due to teams selling out trying to stop their running game, which was one of the best in the country.  When it came to trying to fit the ball into tight zone coverage and when throwing timing routes like a deep out, comeback etc Luck was off target quite a bit. 

I'm not saying he can't improve and I'm not saying he won't because I'm sure that he will.  However, I would have given him a grade of above average at best in terms of ball placement for the 2011 season.  Not that there were many QBs better than him in this regard that year.  In fact the only QB I would have given a higher grade than simply above average in terms of ball placement would have been Nick Foles.

For those wanting a big receiver, don't we have one in Rogers? Is being 6'2'' and freakishly athletic not enough? We also have Fleener as a big receiving threat, right?

I think you just look for the best available players with our limited draft picks. If that's cooks, I'm all for it.

There is no denying Cooks is a good WR; with that being said Andy, after this season, only Wayne and Rogers will be the WRs on our roster 6 ft or over so that's one way of looking at it. Secobdly, I saw how the smaller Wrs lite up Sherman, Browner, Flowers etc but when we play these teams again, couldn't draft a big guy like Allen Robinson and line him up in the slot sometimes and have Hilton on Sherman or Browner etc.

You also mentioned Steve Smith, don't get me wrong, he is a good receiver. But in this league, a lot of the big name WRs are the likes of Brandon Marshall,Calvin Johnson,Josh Gordon- all 6'3 or over, so height must carry some value.

Again, I'll reiterate, the Colts don't need to have a big WR to be a successful offense. Some people on this forum seem to think that and it's not true. The Colts had arguably the best WR unit for years with guys smaller than 6 feet.

As for the best receivers in the country thing, let me know when there's a Calvin or a Marshall in the 2nd round of this year's draft, because I can tell you right now, I don't think the guys you mentioned will end up like those superstars. Those guys are special athletes.

Guest TeamLoloJones

For those wanting a big receiver, don't we have one in Rogers? Is being 6'2'' and freakishly athletic not enough? We also have Fleener as a big receiving threat, right?

I think you just look for the best available players with our limited draft picks. If that's cooks, I'm all for it.

No it isn't.  Which is why it's a good thing that Rogers is 6'3".

Again, I'll reiterate, the Colts don't need to have a big WR to be a successful offense. Some people on this forum seem to think that and it's not true. The Colts had arguably the best WR unit for years with guys smaller than 6 feet.

As for the best receivers in the country thing, let me know when there's a Calvin or a Marshall in the 2nd round of this year's draft, because I can tell you right now, I don't think the guys you mentioned will end up like those superstars. Those guys are special athletes.

I get what you are saying but....

We are a different offense now.  A WR on the outside that is a great wr AND run blocker will be a big help.

That is true.  However, during the Manning years, they were running a much different type of offense compared to what they're trying to build now.  We all know they're working towards building a more balanced offense that is capable of utilizing a power running game.  With that type of offense, stronger, bigger bodied receivers would be very helpful in run blocking.  I'm not saying that smaller guys can't block, but it just makes sense that the bigger and stronger a guy is, the better blocker he'll be.  

So, while all the people clamoring for big, strong WR's during the Manning years were only doing it because they wanted us to have our version of Calvin Johnson, and a lot of those people may not have gone through the thinking process to get to the better run blocking capabilities, there is some merit in the idea that our offense could benefit from having a couple of bigger, possession type receivers so long as they're also good at blocking in the run game.

I have to say that I don't really feel a need for a WR early in the draft.

Reggie will be back next year, T.Y. is turning into a superstar, Rodgers shows promise and both Brazil and Whalen have stepped up lately. DHB will be gone for sure, and who knows what happens in the FA.

I would love to have McCullers in the third, but I doubt that he'll drop to the third round. Anyway, I would like to see McCullers suit up for the Colts.

Overall, I just think it's a little premature to speculate about what we need before the FA season starts and we know what players we will resign and who will be let go.

I only hope we get a couple of good, solid signings

I think Cooks would be a really good pick, but I have some doubt he'd fall that far. If he was available, it'd be hard not to take him though. What do you guys think about Gabe Jackson? I think in addition to adding a high caliber C through FA adding 1 more guard would be a really good move. It's always good to have depth, and we'd have Holmes at backup C and Thomas (hopefully he can finally stay healthy) playing along side Jackson (or possibly Thorton, with the other of the 2 as depth, but if we used a 2nd rounder on Jackson I'd hope he'd start.) He's supposed to be a really good pass blocker.

That is true.  However, during the Manning years, they were running a much different type of offense compared to what they're trying to build now.  We all know they're working towards building a more balanced offense that is capable of utilizing a power running game.  With that type of offense, stronger, bigger bodied receivers would be very helpful in run blocking.  I'm not saying that smaller guys can't block, but it just makes sense that the bigger and stronger a guy is, the better blocker he'll be.  

So, while all the people clamoring for big, strong WR's during the Manning years were only doing it because they wanted us to have our version of Calvin Johnson, and a lot of those people may not have gone through the thinking process to get to the better run blocking capabilities, there is some merit in the idea that our offense could benefit from having a couple of bigger, possession type receivers so long as they're also good at blocking in the run game.

A lot of the best blocking receivers in the NFL are guys under 6'. I can tell you that blocking as a receiver does not stem from strength, per se. It's all about technique and explosiveness. Strength really comes after that. 

Being big in blocking could actually hurt you, because in blocking, being the lowest guy is easily the most important thing. Some big guys have a tougher time getting low and making some blocks. Smaller guys naturally have a lower base and have better balance in that regard. 

So to say that the bigger and stronger the guy, the better the blocker will be, is not a correct statement. 

A lot of the best blocking receivers in the NFL are guys under 6'. I can tell you that blocking as a receiver does not stem from strength, per se. It's all about technique and explosiveness. Strength really comes after that. 

Being big in blocking could actually hurt you, because in blocking, being the lowest guy is easily the most important thing. Some big guys have a tougher time getting low and making some blocks. Smaller guys naturally have a lower base and have better balance in that regard. 

So to say that the bigger and stronger the guy, the better the blocker will be, is not a correct statement. 

Believe me, I know all about center of gravity and leverage...I was a wrestler in high school.  And when it comes to OL vs. DL I agree with you that these things as well as technique, etc come into play far more than simple height and strength.  I'm not so sure I'd be willing to say that it's quite the same thing when it comes to WR vs. CB though.  But hey, that's just me.

I think that the Colts do need to draft a wide out in the second round. Lots of good receivers in this draft, and elite talent will fall to the second-third round. Colts need somebody who you can have more faith in than Rogers to fill out a WR crew. Rogers should still stick with the team as the #4 or 5 guy.

I think Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dD3fgfVms) is an option. Not a guy that is hyped up, has good size @ 6'3", good speed for a guy that big, runs good routes,  and oh yeah, makes a lot of tough catches as Vanderbilt's QB leaves a bit to be desired.

The other personal fave of mine is Jared Abbrederis from Wisconsin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF9aCLh6GEM). Bigger guy than you expect at 6'2" and really under appreciated speed, another great route runner who can make the tough catch and turn it into a big play. He would fit in with Pep and this offense as at Wisconsin, they spend time teaching their guys how to block as they run the ball a lot there. We are wanting to run the ball right?

As for the other picks, splitting between the O-Line and Defense in general  are the areas I focus on.

Like I said before, the OL should be the first priority on this team imo. When you have no O-line you can't run the ball (not to mention it makes things hard on your QB.) We played this season with good but not great tackles and a very weak interior OL. In addition to getting Thomas back, I believe signing a C is a must (hopefully Mack or at least De La Puente) as well as either signing or using our 2nd round pick on a G. Thorton is nice to have for depth but I think we should and can better, especially because our tackles and other G (while solid) are not true standouts.

That said, I would like using a 2nd or 3rd rounder at WR if we could get a guy who falls to us who can actually make an impact. We do have defensive needs that outweigh WR, although I'd rather to go to free agency to fill some of those with veterans.

Pretty much nails it:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312834/article/the-2014-agenda-for-nfl-divisional-round-losers

Indianapolis Colts

Andrew Luck needs help. He did too much of the heavy lifting for a mediocre defense, subpar offensive line and banged-up skill position arsenal. The Colts entered 2013 free agency with as much salary-cap space as any team in the league. While general manager Ryan Grigson added depth and filled several vacancies in the starting lineup, he failed to add impact players. With more than $30 million available again this year, Grigson must do better this time around.

The interior of the offensive line was a major problem for the second consecutive year. It's time for an overhaul. The Colts will also welcome back reinforcements in Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Allen and Vick Ballard, while Ahmad Bradshaw reaches free agency. Wayne will be entering his age-35 season, so they will need development from Da'Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill or both. On top of that, the coaching staff will need to teach Trent Richardson how to walk off an elevator before the doors close.

As Luck did on offense, Defensive Player of the Year candidate Robert Mathis carried the defense. He turns 33 next month, which leaves pass rusher as a priority this offseason. The defensive line and secondary must also be tweaked after allowing 44 and 43 points in back-to-back playoff games.

Believe me, I know all about center of gravity and leverage...I was a wrestler in high school.  And when it comes to OL vs. DL I agree with you that these things as well as technique, etc come into play far more than simple height and strength.  I'm not so sure I'd be willing to say that it's quite the same thing when it comes to WR vs. CB though.  But hey, that's just me.

Nice! I was a wrestler too!

I played WR in high school and university and the one thing our coaches always preached was getting a low center of balance, have good lower body strength and have great explosiveness on top of having some knowledge about blocking. 

If you don't have that, CBs, LBs, anyone, will get around you.