Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lovie Smith new coach of the Bucs.

Dustin

I'm sure Lovie Smith will get the Dungy comparisons with the Bucs. Good fit. Outside the Lions, the Bucs were the best fit for Lovie Smith.

Looks like Leslie Frazier, an old Dungy and Lovie friend will coach the D :). Makes a lot of sense. Now, if they can get some good CBs to go with Revis, that D can do a few things.

I'm sure Lovie Smith will get the Dungy comparisons with the Bucs. Good fit. Outside the Lions, the Bucs were the best fit for Lovie Smith.

Looks like Leslie Frazier, an old Dungy and Lovie friend will coach the D :). Makes a lot of sense. Now, if they can get some good CBs to go with Revis, that D can do a few things.

True.

..and word up here is that the Bears' Julius Peppers and Devon Hester may be released (Hester is at the end of his deal) so look for them in Tampa...

Lovie  ran a more aggressive variation of Dungy';s  cover-2 defense in Tampa...and they stripped the ball like crazy...

Lokk at the cornersr they already have...you think Lovie can use D. Revis?

They may be weak on offense..but defensively, there's a new NFC sherriff in town.

True.

..and word up here is that the Bears' Julius Peppers and Devon Hester may be released (Hester is at the end of his deal) so look for them in Tampa...

Lovie  ran a more aggressive variation of Dungy';s  cover-2 defense in Tampa...and they stripped the ball like crazy...

They may be weak on offense..but defensively, there's a new NFC sherriff in town.

He can. Revis is the best man AND zone corner in the NFL. Problem is that you don't pay a zone corner that much money ($16,000,000). 

Either Lovie adapts to Revis or the Bucs should trade him away. He has no guaranteed money on his contract so I don't think they'd take a hit (Superman could correct me on that)

He can. Revis is the best man AND zone corner in the NFL. Problem is that you don't pay a zone corner that much money ($16,000,000). 

Either Lovie adapts to Revis or the Bucs should trade him away. He has no guaranteed money on his contract so I don't think they'd take a hit (Superman could correct me on that)

You are correct, with some caveats.

Revis has a $1.5m roster bonus due on the third day of the 2014 league year (which begins March 11, so the bonus is due March 13). If they cut or trade him before that date, there's no cap penalty. If they cut or trade him after that date, they'd have a cap penalty of $1.5m for 2014. He also has a workout bonus, due once he participates in a certain number of offseason workouts. If they cut or trade him after he reaches that mark, they'd have an additional cap penalty of $1.5m in 2014, for a total of $3m. If they cut or trade him at any point after the regular season starts (which is highly unlikely), they'd have an additional cap penalty at a prorated amount, based on how many games he's played for them at the point of the trade.

I don't get this decision. Not anything against Lovie, though I don't think he's that good of a coach. But why not hire a GM first? They have a director of football administration and a director of player personnel, but I'm assuming they're going to hire a GM that they all report to. Why not hire the GM, then conduct an exhaustive search for a head coach? I guess they REALLY wanted Lovie Smith...

I'm guessing there's no time

If you want a name coach..and he's not in the post-season...you better sign him while you can..

He's well like in Tampa from his time there before and Bears player still swear by him,,not at him like Buc smay have done with  Schiano 

..but you are right...they'll hire a GM who's stuck with Lovie for some time

Now I;m seeing on the NFL Net that the old Bears GM Gerry Angelo is in line to go to Tampa, too

Ah, that explains it. I heard that the other day as well, and just forgot. They're basically recreating the Bears, with Tedford instead of the clowns the Bears had running the offense. 

True.

Tim Jennings is a free agent, chances are he heads to the Bucs too.

I don't get this decision. Not anything against Lovie, though I don't think he's that good of a coach. But why not hire a GM first? They have a director of football administration and a director of player personnel, but I'm assuming they're going to hire a GM that they all report to. Why not hire the GM, then conduct an exhaustive search for a head coach? I guess they REALLY wanted Lovie Smith...

This has GOT to make the GM job a lot less desirable now. The biggest thing you get to do as a GM, other than draft, is hire a coach. 

But I agree with you also in that I'm not all that sold on Lovie Smith. I know he took a Rex Grossman team to a Super Bowl, but sometimes coaches succeed in spite of themselves. Those Chicago defenses had some serious talent. But overall, as a team, they never did all that much that impressed me. 

This has GOT to make the GM job a lot less desirable now. The biggest thing you get to do as a GM, other than draft, is hire a coach. 

But I agree with you also in that I'm not all that sold on Lovie Smith. I know he took a Rex Grossman team to a Super Bowl, but sometimes coaches succeed in spite of themselves. Those Chicago defenses had some serious talent. But overall, as a team, they never did all that much that impressed me. 

Assuming the Bucs hire Jerry Angelo, it all makes sense. If not, then we obviously agree.

They built themselves one hell of a staff there.

They've got Lovie at the top, with Marinelli at DC and Tedford at OC. That's a good group. 

Has Marinelli been confirmed?  Last article I read indicated Lovie wants to reach out to Marinelli *if* the Cowboys grant him permission to do so.  

Has Marinelli been confirmed?  Last article I read indicated Lovie wants to reach out to Marinelli *if* the Cowboys grant him permission to do so.  

The Cowboys don't know what they want to do with the defense. Assuming they get rid of Kiffin, it makes sense to let Marinelli walk. Unless they want Marinelli to run their defense, which has also been mentioned. I would think Marinelli would prefer to go back to Tampa, but who knows...

The Cowboys don't know what they want to do with the defense. Assuming they get rid of Kiffin, it makes sense to let Marinelli walk. Unless they want Marinelli to run their defense, which has also been mentioned. I would think Marinelli would prefer to go back to Tampa, but who knows...

Honestly I'm not sure which franchise is a bigger mess between Cleveland and Dallas.  I don't know why they didn't expect their defense to be a mess.  It was going to take some time to be able to switch from their long running 3-4 to a cover/tampa 2 defense.  At least one year of struggle should have been assumed.  Now are they giving up on it and going back to the 3-4?  Who knows.  Maybe they think Marinelli would run it better than Kiffin?  I don't see why they would bring Kiffin in for just one year unless he was brought in to build the foundation of the new defense and then let Marinelli take over.  *shrug*

Honestly I'm not sure which franchise is a bigger mess between Cleveland and Dallas.  I don't know why they didn't expect their defense to be a mess.  It was going to take some time to be able to switch from their long running 3-4 to a cover/tampa 2 defense.  At least one year of struggle should have been assumed.  Now are they giving up on it and going back to the 3-4?  Who knows.  Maybe they think Marinelli would run it better than Kiffin?  I don't see why they would bring Kiffin in for just one year unless he was brought in to build the foundation of the new defense and then let Marinelli take over.  *shrug*

They shouldn't have hired Kiffin to begin with. I don't know if they're going back to a 3-4, necessarily, but Kiffin has to go, IMO. I think Marinelli would run that base defense better than Kiffin did, more like how he ran it in Chicago with Lovie, getting the best out of guys like Tillman and Jennings.

And the Cowboys have Marinelli's rights, unless he gets hired as a head coach somewhere. They don't have to let him go to be someone else's assistant, even though it's technically a promotion from position coach to coordinator. So if they want to continue with this transition, but feel the need to have someone else running the show, Marinelli is the perfect candidate. And they could strong-arm him into staying if they really wanted, and it wouldn't really be all that bad of a situation for him (aside from having to work for Jerry Jones). Whoever takes that defense over is going to make it better, and they're already a year into the transition. The Cowboys have players -- Ware, Lee, Carr, Claiborne -- and can be a good defense. They just can't play the outdated Kiffin Cover 2.

So I think it's 50/50. If the Cowboys decide to hire someone else as coordinator, they'll probably let Marinelli leave and he'll go to Tampa. But they haven't even fired Kiffin yet, so who knows what happens.