Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TRich and Donald Brown: Inside runs vs outside runs.

Dustin

All numbers are from PFF (Pro Football Focus)

This season, TRich has had 55% of his run plays go outside of the tackles vs 45% inbetween the tackles. (91 vs 73). On his 91 outside the tackles runs, TRich is averaging 2.54 YPC, the 2nd lowest average in the NFL above only Ray Rice. On his inside runs he's averaging 3.6 YPC. 

Brown has had 38 of his 80 runs between the tackles (48%). On these 38 runs, Brown is averaging 6.21 YPC, the 2nd highest average in the NFL. On his outside runs he's averaging 4.5 YPC.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/18/between-the-tackles/

Brown currently averages 3.74 yards after contact between the tackles BY FAR the highest in the NFL. 60% of his yards have come after contact.

TRich is currently averaging 1.88 yards after contact on runs to the outside, 40th in the NFL and a ridiculous 74% of his yards have come after contact.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/19/between-the-tackles-part-2/

This really tested my reading comprehensive skills lol. Between the tackles TRich = 3.6 yds per carry and DB = 6.21...Outside the tackles TRich = 2.54 yds per carry and DB = 4.5. So they both have a better average yds per carry between the tackles. The yds after contact aren't comparable due to DB is listed between the tackles and TRich is listed as outside. With DB`s speed I would have thought he`d have a better yds per carry outside the tackles instead of inside. Surprising

Good numbers, but still overly simplistic. A trap or draw is technically an inside the tackles run, but differs greatly from a dive. This also doesn't tell us anything about the differences in the defensive alignments.

Again, disclaimer: I don't think Richardson has played well, nor do I like what we gave up for him. 

I'm just waiting for the game where Donald Brown gets 20+ carries like he deserves this year

That could very well be this week against the Chiefs if he plays.... 

He probably would have been given those 20+ against Houston if he didnt come out injured in the 1st half. We are going to have to control the clock and keep Jamaal Charles off the field as long as possible in this game so DB and T Rich have some big roles to fill this weekend.

This is a very important game for two reasons. 1 being that if we can beat KC it will show that we havent lost that ability to take down the big boys, depleted as we are due to injuries etc. 2 being that is we win and get some help like we did last weekend, we are in the drivers seat for the 2nd seed with JUST the Jags left to play! @ Home!

I like those odds because stranger things have happened...

I think you guys don't know what a troll is to be honest. Time after time the data and the eye test suggest Richardson is one of the worst running backs in the league that continues to get opportunities. You keep saying people are trolling, but when a poster that continues to ignore the facts and keeps posting contrary to the data so vehemently. Who's really the troll?

I think you guys don't know what a troll is to be honest. Time after time the data and the eye test suggest Richardson is one of the worst running backs in the league that continues to get opportunities. You keep saying people are trolling, but when a poster that continues to ignore the facts and keeps posting contrary to the data so vehemently. Who's really the troll?

No one is saying T-Rich has been good this year, we are just saying who gives up on a player when they are 22 and have tons of potential. Not mention he was traded here mid season so he had to learn a whole new offense without any offseason work, oh and our line sucks at run blocking

This season, TRich has had 55% of his run plays go outside of the tackles vs 45% inbetween the tackles. (91 vs 73). On his 91 outside the tackles runs, TRich is averaging 2.54 YPC, the 2nd lowest average in the NFL above only Ray Rice. On his inside runs he's averaging 3.6 YPC.

Brown has had 38 of his 80 runs between the tackles (48%). On these 38 runs, Brown is averaging 6.21 YPC, the 2nd highest average in the NFL. On his outside runs he's averaging 4.5 YPC.

Brown currently averages 3.74 yards after contact between the tackles BY FAR the highest in the NFL. 60% of his yards have come after contact.

TRich is currently averaging 1.88 yards after contact on runs to the outside, 40th in the NFL and a ridiculous 74% of his yards have come after contact.

Great post. Richardson is IMO still the better RB. Just needs a full season with us.

Pep should use a double back set to mix it up or throw the defense off. D Brown as HB and T-Rich as Fb. Veer formation in shotgun and non shotgun would be good idea. Thinking out loud. Example : http://www.nfl.com/v...vili-20-yard-TD The pass play they have for Stanley Havili running out into the flat they should have T-Rich to fully utilize him in the passing game and I think Rich can break out for big yards that way. Plus it gives Luck another check down receiver besides D. Brown. Plus they won't really know who will be running the ball. Sneaky sneaky!!!!

One thing to watch this weekend is if they try more trap and draw plays with Trent. These have been where Donald Brown has done great damage this year, it's been curious they haven't tried it much with Richardson until last week.

Could be they don't think he has the acceleration to make it work (which might explain the new wrinkle with the shovel pass). Maybe he isn't reading the line well enough yet.

Either way it's pretty clear we're gonna have a hard time sustaining drives without more finesse in the running game. Donald Brown is a good fit for that role. Hopefully Trent can pick it up.

The numbers are very telling and, if you've actually watched the games this season, not surprising. 

But we all know how good Ray Rice was before this year and we all know how good T Rich was at Alabama. Let's give it another season before getting too silly.

Brown has had 38 of his 80 runs between the tackles (48%). On these 38 runs, Brown is averaging 6.21 YPC, the 2nd highest average in the NFL. On his outside runs he's averaging 4.5 YPC.

74% after contact? That's because he's too slow. He is powerful but Donald Brown is 2 steps faster at hitting the hole. Richardson has to fight thru contact because he's 2 step behind where Donald Brown would be in the same dang play. Is he physically too slow? or is the slowness due to him not being familiar with the playbook etc? That's the real question.

74% after contact? That's because he's too slow. He is powerful but Donald Brown is 2 steps faster at hitting the hole. Richardson has to fight thru contact because he's 2 step behind where Donald Brown would be in the same dang play. Is he physically too slow? or is the slowness due to him not being familiar with the playbook etc? That's the real question.

He's not really slow. He has speed, that's evident when he hits the open field, he just lacks explosion.

I think this is an excellent analysis, though a little old now.  It shows the errors Trent's been making, how Donald Brown is doing a better job of taking what he's given, but also gives great detail of how our poor blocking and schemes have hurt the running game in general.  

All with some very nice gifs to illustrate his points.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/27/5034244/trent-richardson-trade-colts-offense

Great post. Richardson is IMO still the better RB. Just needs a full season with us.

No he doesn`t. He had a VG line at Cleveland and Brown does OK.

Jamal Charles 5' 11" 199lb

Walter Peyton 5' 10" 205lb

Edgerin James 6' 0"  214lb

T Rich              5' 9"  225lb - eye test = Too Slow  About 15-20lb Overweight

At the weight he has chosen, more of the same ahead as a runner.

T Rich              5' 9"  225lb - eye test = Too Slow  About 15-20lb Overweight

why did you pick those specific players? There have been plenty of runningbacks to excel at ~230 lbs.

why did you pick those specific players? There have been plenty of runningbacks to excel at ~230 lbs.

Good question. He was a #2 pick and something near Excellence is expected.

If any given player has the needed explosion at 230 lbs that is great.

Trent, as some say, lacks the instant burst, Explosion, to reach the line before he is getting caught by pursuit.

They get a swing at him in the backfield that he has to evade, a slap on his legs that slow him, or grab that he has to drag.

He is often still in the hole at the line for the same.

Donald as an example I would agree with others, is just a step or so ahead of him at the same time, delivering a different result.

TRich IS Slow. To the line. And slow enough I think in his own mind to not look to Break runs outside.

Defenses know it too, so what an Easy, FUN guy to defend for our opponents.

Ya, hopefully for US he loses weight, whatever the number is, to get his Explosion to the minimum needed level. 

In his 3rd season, I believe he has PROVEN his Slowness is a Fact.

He was playing at Alabama with at least 3 Top 20 pix and Barret Jones. I loved what I saw from him Too, but along with speed, one now might wonder about FB IQ. We will know by oh, game 5 next year what we got.

Again, he looked great at Alabama, I would sure like 90% of that to transfer to the NFL. Wish him the best!

That's complete nonsense. Heaven knows how many running back have played well at 225-plus. If you think Richardson is too heavy and it's slowing him down, that's one thing. But it has nothing to do with the other backs you listed.