Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton only needs 6 more TD's to break record but.....

sfergson727

Why is there no coverage on the fact that Peyton is on the verge of breaking the record for most TD's in a season? Seems like him re-capturing the record from the evil Tom Brady would be news worthy, but instead all we hear is cricket's chirping.

Perhaps the media just assumed that Peyton would naturally get the record and it's no big deal? I'd think after all he has been through and his age, he would be getting some recognition for this unlikely feat.

Consider:

Number of surgeries he's had

His age

His arm is weaker than his prime, so his completions come from ball placement.

Playing outside, all the time...

Come on media, give Peyton his due credit, the guy is phenomenal.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there no coverage on the fact that Peyton is on the verge of breaking the record for most TD's in a season? Seems like him re-capturing the record from the evil Tom Brady would be news worthy, but instead all we hear is cricket's chirping.

Perhaps the media just assumed that Peyton would naturally get the record and it's no big deal? I'd think after all he has been through and his age, he would be getting some recognition for this unlikely feat.

Consider:

His age

"No, Russell Wilson is better."

-Media

"He'll choke in the playoffs even if his defense allows 500 yards of offense and 35 points and we want to see Tom Brady go all Tom Terrific in the playoffs like he does every year because he's our little angel and if Brady loses we'll make sure some random injury pops up that he sustained one month before the loss"

-Media

He also makes the extraordinary look ordinary like Brady. Nothing either one does seems to raise an eyebrow. It is an expectation they always seem to meet.

When I get frustrated with Toms play I just watch other game with different QB's and I'm all better. 

Not sure what you are talking about. The networks are televising every Broncos game possible, and projections about Peyton getting the TD record, yards record and MVP - as well as the team getting the points record - have been talked about since about half-time of week one. They ran out of things to say by about week 5, and his "slowdown" due to injury dampened the story somewhat, but as he closes in it will be covered as it should be.

Consider:

His age

its been on the NFL website for some time now . . . the title of the page is a play on the movie and its called Peyton's Pace . . .

http://www.nfl.com/qs/peytonspace/index.jsp

Its out there. I think since it has seemed inevitable and the media has kinda of tired on the Brees, Peyton, Brady stories they haven't really pushed any of them.....they want to transition us to the next qbs...the Wilson's, Kapernick, RGIII, and Lucks but its still the old 3 that continue to outshine them all. The NFL is going to be in for a surprise come a couple years. Brady and Manning and Brees retire I wouldn't be surprised if we kind of see the league go through what we saw after the 90s with the NBA...starved for a face....I'm not saying there won't be great qbs...but these HOF qbs are exactly grown on trees. It will be interesting to see how they promote the next gen...and who actually steps up and shines.

He also makes the extraordinary look ordinary like Brady. Nothing either one does seems to raise an eyebrow. It is an expectation they always seem to meet.

I know. The announcers covering the games gush over them, but sports writers have been writing about their greatness for over a decade. They are tired of writing about them playing incredible ball week in and out, so they focus on Manning's and Brady's struggles.

Sometimes greatness is just expected. Sometimes we Just get spoiled and that's a shame, because these guys really put on a show.

Consider:

His age

I think one reason why it isn't mentioned on the talk shows is because the playoff picture is shaping up and that is more interesting to a majority of fans. When and if he breaks it, it will be a big deal.

Consider:

His age

You'll see him get credit Thursday night.....you are right...

but the NFL Net will go big on his approaching the TD record ..just wait

I know. The announcers covering the games gush over them, but sports writers have been writing about their greatness for over a decade. They are tired of writing about them playing incredible ball week in and out, so they focus on Manning's and Brady's struggles.

Sometimes greatness is just expected. Sometimes we Just get spoiled and that's a shame, because these guys really put on a show.

This is true as well

..a lot of the 'experts' on the NFL-NET seemed visibly tired of talking about Manning....but that's like NBA-TV tiring of talking about LeBron

This is true as well

..a lot of the 'experts' on the NFL-NET seemed visibly tired of talking about Manning....but that's like NBA-TV tiring of talking about LeBron

You cant blame them. These guys watch a lot of football and everyone and their brother knows Manning/Brady/Brees are probably all first ballot hall of famers. Its much more interesting and fun to talk about the up and comers and try and predict who is going to break out. There are actually things to analyze and debate there. Certainly beats talking about how Manning is just that good week in and week out.

Frankly, I think Da'Rick Rogers has been snubbed by the media, based on what his present stats would project out over his career.

Gonna be epic.

Manning is getting his due, and it'll get more intense as he gets closer.

We, as fans, just can't get enough of it when it involves our teams, or favorite players, and that's what makes the NFL go 'round.

No, there's definitely some bias going on. I remember when Brady was chasing Manning's record and even when Brees was chasing Marino's record, there was plenty of coverage. They even had a category on the ticker where they kept you updated on his current pace vs the record. None of that for Peyton though. Bristol has an obligation to constantly prop Brady up along with the Pats. Why would they give shine to one of his records falling? Wouldn't suit their agenda

I didn't actually crunch the numbers, but I think if he averages about 300 yds per game over these last three, he'll be right there for the yardage record too. Someone can double check that maybe....I'm lazy. :) 300 yds and 2 TDs per game over the last three....here we go!

Either way, one of the best seasons in NFL history. Well deserved too.

No, there's definitely some bias going on. I remember when Brady was chasing Manning's record and even when Brees was chasing Marino's record, there was plenty of coverage. They even had a category on the ticker where they kept you updated on his current pace vs the record. None of that for Peyton though. Bristol has an obligation to constantly prop Brady up along with the Pats. Why would they give shine to one of his records falling? Wouldn't suit their agenda

lol. Brady's TD record was secondary to going 16-0. That historic record took precedence not the TD record and of course Moss was on pace to break Rice's TD record as well. The entire season was historic - undefeated regular season, TD QB record, WR TD record, most points scored, best point differential. This season by Manning while it is great in its own right is not the same as 2007 other than the TD record and possibly most points scored.

Also at play here is the fact that this will be the third time the record has fell since 2003 so it has lost its luster understandably.

lol. Brady's TD record was secondary to going 16-0. That historic record took precedence not the TD record and of course Moss was on pace to break Rice's TD record as well. The entire season was historic - undefeated regular season, TD QB record, WR TD record, most points scored, best point differential. This season by Manning while it is great in its own right is not the same as 2007 other than the TD record and possibly most points scored.

Also at play here is the fact that this will be the third time the record has fell since 2003 so it has lost its luster understandably.

Manning in 2009 was 14-0 with backup WRs and a new head coach, they could have gone 16-0 easily not for benching the starters. No one really cares about the 16-0.

Your ignorance shows up again calling Manning's season not so great. If you think Brady's 16-0 is great, shows again how clueless your thought is.

Manning in 2009 was 14-0 with backup WRs and a new head coach, they could have gone 16-0 easily not for benching the starters. No one really cares about the 16-0.

What? I said Manning's season is great which it is. It is not on par with the Pats of 2007. They set history in every way possible and the 16-0 had never been done. That is why it got the coverage.

What? I said Manning's season is great which it is. It is not on par with the Pats of 2007. They set history in every way possible and the 16-0 had never been done. That is why it got the coverage.

What records?. Everything will vanish in few weeks. Point is these records mean nothing.

What records?. Everything will vanish in few weeks. Point is these records mean nothing.

The only two that will fall is QB TD record and maybe most points. The 16-0 season, points differential and WR TD at 23 will all stand. Also, I think Manning will set record for 3 receivers with 1000 yards and at least 10 TDs. Bayone can shed light on this.

It still doesn't change the difference in coverage.  If ESPN keeps track of records like "Most Passes Completed in Weeks 4-7 in NFL History" then there is no reason this couldn't be covered with at least comparable coverage that they gave Brady.  When Brees broke the TD record, it was literally on the front page and talked about every single day in the 6 or 7 weeks leading up to the record being broken.  Here we are, Peyton will surely break the record with 2 TD passes a game over 3 games, and it's rarely mentioned anywhere. 

The whole "lost its luster" is a "clown comment, bro." We're not talking about a record that has been broken 3 times by 3 average/above average joes that just got hot (i.e. the Flacco tying Montana's TD-INT pass record in the playoffs).  We're talking about a record that has (or will have been) broken 3 times by 2 of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.  If it's broken in 2 years by Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford (or any one not named Rodgers, Manning, Brees, or Brady), you can throw this in my face and call me the biggest Manning Homer in the world and I'll change my profile picture to whatever you ask me to.

It still doesn't change the difference in coverage.  If ESPN keeps track of records like "Most Passes Completed in Weeks 4-7 in NFL History" then there is no reason this couldn't be covered with at least comparable coverage that they gave Brady.  When Brees broke the TD record, it was literally on the front page and talked about every single day in the 6 or 7 weeks leading up to the record being broken.  Here we are, Peyton will surely break the record with 2 TD passes a game over 3 games, and it's rarely mentioned anywhere. 

The whole "lost its luster" is a "clown comment, bro." We're not talking about a record that has been broken 3 times by 3 average/above average joes that just got hot (i.e. the Flacco tying Montana's TD-INT pass record in the playoffs).  We're talking about a record that has (or will have been) broken 3 times by 2 of the greatest QBs to ever play the game.  If it's broken in 2 years by Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford (or any one not named Rodgers, Manning, Brees, or Brady), you can throw this in my face and call me the biggest Manning Homer in the world and I'll change my profile picture to whatever you ask me to.

Maybe we are not watching the same coverage. I have seen plenty of coverage of the record over the season. Every time the Broncos are mentioned Manning's TDs numbers and O are talked about all the time. So, I am not sure exactly what you are complaining about.

Like I said, the coverage of Brady in 2007 had to do more with the undefeated season than the TD record. Moss was also tracking to beat Rice's TD record as well which may never be topped again. This year's Broncos team lost to what looks to be average Colts team and a Pats team that spotted them 24 points. The team as a whole does not have the air of invincibility that the Pats did.

You can take issue with the fact that the record will be broken for the third time in 10 years but I am not sure anyone is surprised as both Brees and Rodgers almost hit 50 the last couple of seasons as well. This is the era of passing given the rules so I am not sure the record holds the same significance it did back in 1984 or 2003/2007.

So I'm trying to get my head around this.

What is it, exactly, that the "this isn't getting coverage crowd" wants to see? 

A LeBron-like "decision" special? "The Road to 51 TDs?" 

Would a ticker make you happy? I just don't get it, I'm not being deliberately facetious. There's only so many ways you can talk about it, so many times it can be mentioned. If the Broncos were 13-0 I can GUARANTEE you that it would be a bigger deal than the TD record. But they aren't. 

This has got to be all about how fans perceive the media. I don't think there's any place on the planet outside of Indianapolis that's moaning about a lack of media coverage on Peyton Manning, for crying out loud... lol!! It's even funny just to write that. 

It was indeed a most memorable season. Mostly for the 'Greatest Team Ever' to lose the big one to a mediocre team. It still tickles me to this day. And I have a clear poly bag full of paper shreds from the Giants Super Bowl parade, which my best mate and loyal Giants fan sent to me as a keep sake....

".......and a miracle catch by David Tyreeeeeeeee......"

Would a ticker make you happy? I just don't get it, I'm not being deliberately facetious. There's only so many ways you can talk about it, so many times it can be mentioned. If the Broncos were 13-0 I can GUARANTEE you that it would be a bigger deal than the TD record. But they aren't.

This has got to be all about how fans perceive the media. I don't think there's any place on the planet outside of Indianapolis that's moaning about a lack of media coverage on Peyton Manning, for crying out loud... lol!! It's even funny just to write that.

I don't think the sports shows are talking about enough for some people. It is covered ad nauseam before and during the games. I don't get why this is a big deal either. The playoffs are the big topic right now anyway.

Yep, well said sir. Just a few paranoid Brady haters having a gripe. Pretty embarrassing.

Maybe we are not watching the same coverage. I have seen plenty of coverage of the record over the season. Every time the Broncos are mentioned Manning's TDs numbers and O are talked about all the time. So, I am not sure exactly what you are complaining about.

Like I said, the coverage of Brady in 2007 had to do more with the undefeated season than the TD record. Moss was also tracking to beat Rice's TD record as well which may never be topped again. This year's Broncos team lost to what looks to be average Colts team and a Pats team that spotted them 24 points. The team as a whole does not have the air of invincibility that the Pats did.

You can take issue with the fact that the record will be broken for the third time in 10 years but I am not sure anyone is surprised as both Brees and Rodgers almost hit 50 the last couple of seasons as well. This is the era of passing given the rules so I am not sure the record holds the same significance it did back in 1984 or 2003/2007.

We just have to disagree about the coverage bit.  And the record will always be a significant record, the only difference is, what the number is.

15 TDs in 3 games?  I think I'd be baffled by that alone, let alone 60 TDs. 

Unlikely but I think back when Brady broke it getting to the 50 was a big deal because neither Manning or Marino got there. Kind of a watershed mark.

One other thing. That was Brady's first break out year with an all-star offense. No one really knew until that season that he could win rings AND be the same type of QB as Manning - star wars numbers if you will. I think that is also what made that year special and it was his first league MVP as well.

Pretty sure no one was propping Brady up in 2007, in fact every single person in the media were taking tuns taking a turd on the Patriots ever chance they got.  All of that while Arlen Specter was making a stink in congress and providing even more media coverage.

The Pats got a lot of media coverage in 2007, but hardly any of it was good or praising them.