Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which teams have the most passionate fans?

Sports Central1

Which teams in sports have the most passionate fans and least passionate fans?  This is only for pro sports as we know college fans are very passionate across the board.

A good way to determine this is by attendance figures when the team is doing good and bad.

NFL most passionate and loyal fans...

Packers

Steelers

Bears

Cowboys

Broncos

Redskins

Chiefs

Lions

Giants

Jets

Eagles

Middle of the pack...

Bills

Vikings

Colts

Patriots

Texans

Least passionate...

Raiders

Jaguars

Titans

Dolphins

Bucs

Panthers

Falcons

Saints

Rams

Cardinals

Chargers

Seahawks <<<<Their stadium has a state of the art half enclosed roof that is specifically designed to the noise in.

MLB most passionate and loyal fans...

Cubs

Cardinals

Red Sox

SF Giants

Middle of the road...

Yankees <<<<They can't sell out their new stadium and they're a playoff contender every year.

Mets

Phillies

White Sox

Tigers

Twins

Rangers

Angels

Dodgers

Least passionate and loyal fans...

Marlins

A's

Rays

Braves

Padres

Astros

Rockies

Diamondbacks

Reds

Brewers

Mariners

Pirates

Nationals

NBA most passionate and loyal fans...

Knicks

Bulls

Lakers

Jazz

Middle of the road...

Celtics

Pacers

Rockets

Spurs

Mavs

Clippers

Least passionate...

Heat <<<<Will they be there when Lebron and Wade are gone?

Hawks

Warriors

Kings

Nuggets

Bucks

Timberwolves

Pelicans

Bobcats

Grizzlies

Thunder

Nets

Wizards

Raptors

He thinks the architecture of their stadium trivialized the Seahawks fan. I don't know how, but he does.

If we're talking about bad attendance when the team is bad he has a point, but I've never had a problem with that. Why buy a bad product? Express your distaste for the team by not showing up. Also most cubs fans have no clue what's going on and the stadium is filled with tourists not actual fans.

Raiders, Saints, and Seahawks as the least passionate?  I dunno about that

Raiders have had more home games blacked out due to lack of sellouts than any other team.  They can't sell out their home games.  You didn't know this?  This has been reported nationally and been a problem for the Raiders for years.  They're one of the NFL teams always searching for a new home.  A team that moves twice in around a 15 year span is a team that lacks a strong fan base and can't find a city to support them.

Saints weren't even on the radar till Brees showed up there.  They weren't really around during the Ditka years.  A few years before the Saints won the super bowl there were rumors the owner would move the team possibly to Los Angeles or another city.

Seahawks?  Where were the fans when they were in their old stadium?  A lot of johnny come lately's.  Let's just be honest here, the reason why there's a growing number of Seahawks bandwagon fans is because they think they're uniforms are cool.  Just keep it real.

This has already been discussed by engineers and stadium designers.  If you were to put the Seahawks' half roof design over any NFL stadium it will significantly increase the db level.  That's what engineers designed it to do.  If you were to put that design over the Broncos' stadium it would be even louder than the Seahawks' stadium.

Most loyal fans in pro sports are the Cubs fans and they sellout Wrigley Field.  They haven't won a World Series in 105 years (1908) and I think most of those years they finished below .500.

If we're talking about bad attendance when the team is bad he has a point, but I've never had a problem with that. Why buy a bad product? Express your distaste for the team by not showing up. Also most cubs fans have no clue what's going on and the stadium is filled with tourists not actual fans.

That's just ignorant.  I can stay that for any stadium attendance then.  As if you can tell who's a tourist and who isn't.

A fan who only shows interest and shows up when their team is good is a fair weather fan.  A team can't afford to buy players when people aren't buying tickets.

Which teams in sports have the most passionate fans and least passionate fans? This is only for pro sports as we know college fans are very passionate across the board.

A good way to determine this is by attendance figures when the team is doing good and bad.

NFL most passionate and loyal fans...

Packers

Steelers

Bears

Cowboys

Broncos

Redskins

Chiefs

Lions

Giants

Jets

Eagles

Middle of the pack...

Bills

Vikings

Colts

Patriots

Texans

Least passionate...

Raiders

Jaguars

Titans

Dolphins

Bucs

Panthers

Falcons

Saints

Rams

Cardinals

Chargers

Seahawks <<<<Their stadium has a state of the art half enclosed roof that is specifically designed to the noise in.

MLB most passionate and loyal fans...

Cubs

Cardinals

Red Sox

SF Giants

Middle of the road...

Yankees <<<<They can't sell out their new stadium and they're a playoff contender every year.

Mets

Phillies

White Sox

Tigers

Twins

Rangers

Angels

Dodgers

Least passionate and loyal fans...

Marlins

A's

Rays

Braves

Padres

Astros

Rockies

Diamondbacks

Reds

Brewers

Mariners

Pirates

Nationals

NBA most passionate and loyal fans...

Knicks

Bulls

Lakers

Jazz

Middle of the road...

Celtics

Pacers

Rockets

Spurs

Mavs

Clippers

Least passionate...

Heat <<<<Will they be there when Lebron and Wade are gone?

Hawks

Warriors

Kings

Nuggets

Bucks

Timberwolves

Pelicans

Bobcats

Grizzlies

Thunder

Nets

Wizards

Raptors

Leave it to a Boston fan to leave the Ravens and Orioles totally out. I guess he forgot who beat them in the AFCGC last year. Lol

Leave it to a Boston fan to leave the Ravens and Orioles totally out. I guess he forgot who beat them in the AFCGC last year. Lol

I apologize as I really did forget to add those two teams into my list.  I'm sorry.

Ravens do have some very good fans, it's a loud stadium.  Ravens have also been very consistent and contenders almost every season since 2000 so that helped.  Will they sell out and rock the place if they were bad?

Orioles.  Well you can't put them in the "most passionate fans" list.  Not yet.  Lots of empty seats at their games due to many years of struggling.

If we're talking about bad attendance when the team is bad he has a point,

No he doesn't. That stadium is full and rocking even when they are bad. Most of their history they have been average or worse. It's always been known as a tough place to play because of the fans and crowd noise. Always.

That's just ignorant.  I can stay that for any stadium attendance then.  As if you can tell who's a tourist and who isn't.

A fan who only shows interest and shows up when their team is good is a fair weather fan.  A team can't afford to buy players when people aren't buying tickets.

Wrigley Field is a tourist attraction. Very few people there actually care about the cubs. I've been to a bunch of games at Wrigley and the majority of people I talk to are from out of town visiting Chicago. The cubs are Wrigley Field. They can never move and draw the attendance they draw now.  

By showing up to the games when the team has been poor at best with no real attempt to change, you are buying a terrible product. It's like buying a product from Amazon even though it has terrible reviews and the manufacturer doesn't care.  

You can still be a fan by watching on TV, but not showing up to games makes a statement to EVERYONE because everyone can see the fans' distaste for the team.  

Like my example of the cubs, they have purposely been putting an inferior product on the field filled with young prospects so they can keep payroll low. They sign a couple big names to gain attendance, but they're quickly realizing that what fans care most about is winning and when they don't win, fans don't show. That's just the nature of fandom. 

Wrigley Field is a tourist attraction. Very few people there actually care about the cubs. I've been to a bunch of games at Wrigley and the majority of people I talk to are from out of town visiting Chicago. The cubs are Wrigley Field. They can never move and draw the attendance they draw now.  

By showing up to the games when the team has been poor at best with no real attempt to change, you are buying a terrible product. It's like buying a product from Amazon even though it has terrible reviews and the manufacturer doesn't care.  

You can still be a fan by watching on TV, but not showing up to games makes a statement to EVERYONE because everyone can see the fans' distaste for the team.  

Like my example of the cubs, they have purposely been putting an inferior product on the field filled with young prospects so they can keep payroll low. They sign a couple big names to gain attendance, but they're quickly realizing that what fans care most about is winning and when they don't win, fans don't show. That's just the nature of fandom. 

Not true.  lol  You don't judge 40,000 people in the stands by the couple of times you went and the few people you talked to there.  Even if you had a long conversation with 20 people at one game that's not even 1% of the crowd.

Absolute bullocks. 

These teams have packed stands for their teams even when their teams standings are looming deep in the basement.

You obviously don't understand fan bases and economics of the sport or even what a passionate fan base is.

Raiders have moved twice in 15 years and there's constant talks of them moving again.  They for years couldn't sell out so their home games were blacked out.

Raiders Attendance Problem Worsens As TV Blackout Continue...

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/raiders-attendance-problem-worsens-as-tv-blackout-continue/

Oakland Raiders Hack NFL Blackout Rules In Real Life By Shrinking Stadium...

n the case of the NFL, the rule is that teams have to have 85% of their capacity sold by the Thursday before a game to keep the TV blackout rule from being triggered. Well, the Oakland Raiders, one team who has more trouble than most getting fans into the stands (because they're horrible), has a plan to get around the NFL blackout rules. This amazing plan is...covering up a bunch of the seats in O.co Coliseum to reduce capacity and thereby increase the percentage of filled seats for their games.

CEO Amy Trask announced yesterday that the Raiders will be eliminating nearly 10,000 seats for next season, mostly by covering up Mount Davis with a tarp. Mount Davis is the nickname given to the tier of seats installed in a 1996 renovation, ruining the backdrop view of the Oakland hills that were a staple at A's games. They're steep (nearly to the point of being unsafe) and the upper reaches are comically distant from the action. And they've gone mostly empty, being tarped off for baseball since 2006

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130208/07173421919/oakland-raiders-hack-nfl-blackout-rules-real-life-shrinking-stadium.shtml

Before the 2009 season there were reports the Saints were going to move.

Not true. lol You don't judge 40,000 people in the stands by the couple of times you went and the few people you talked to there. Even if you had a long conversation with 20 people at one game that's not even 1% of the crowd.

I've been to Wrigley more than a few times. It is an attraction not a baseball stadium. I never said everyone there was a tourist but a large portion are people from out of town or people there to just take in a baseball game. There are still real cubs fans.

It is a fact that their attendance has been way down since 2003. I can't blame a fan for not wanting to pay for a bad product.

I've been to Wrigley more than a few times. It is an attraction not a baseball stadium. I never said everyone there was a tourist but a large portion are people from out of town or people there to just take in a baseball game. There are still real cubs fans.

It is a fact that their attendance has been way down since 2003. I can't blame a fan for not wanting to pay for a bad product.

Actually any stadium is a tourist attraction.  Even more tourists go to the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.  They also have been pretty bad for many years and are still the #1 most popular team in the NFL.

Not my problem you have some weird bizarre problem with the Cubs.  But they have the most loyal fans in baseball and I say that as a Red Sox fan.

But it is funny how you going to some Cubs games makes you some expert in thinking you can tell what 40,000 fans think about the Cubs.  You have no clue or idea what % of people who attend a Cubs game are tourists vs real fans.  You have no source or evidence to back up your claim.

I apologize as I really did forget to add those two teams into my list. I'm sorry.

Ravens do have some very good fans, it's a loud stadium. Ravens have also been very consistent and contenders almost every season since 2000 so that helped. Will they sell out and rock the place if they were bad?

Orioles. Well you can't put them in the "most passionate fans" list. Not yet. Lots of empty seats at their games due to many years of struggling.

No need to apologize, it was pretty funny. Baltimore is actually a great baseball town , but we lost a generation of fans because of the incompetence of the Angelo's ownership. Fans are starting to come back after two winning seasons, but it has been a depressing Orioles free agent signing period thus far. Angelo's hangs onto his money like Irsay did.

There's no way to answer this question and I think ticket sales is a weak barometer for two reasons.  Number of fans don't mean passionate.  You could have a family of 20 people, but that doesn't mean you're more passionate than a family of 4.  Second, the attendance figures are skewed.  Some stadiums take off certain seats so that the ticket sales look like they are sell-out crowds.  Others "sell" the tickets, say, to a ticket agency(ies), the agencies of which, don't actually sell the tickets. 

No need to apologize, it was pretty funny. Baltimore is actually a great baseball town , but we lost a generation of fans because of the incompetence of the Angelo's ownership. Fans are starting to come back after two winning seasons, but it has been a depressing Orioles free agent signing period thus far. Angelo's hangs onto his money like Irsay did.

When the Red Sox and Yankees play the Orioles in Baltimore which team has more fans that show up?

If you judge by social media (fans talking to and about them) top of the list is all soccer and some NBA and wrestling

FC Barcelona

Real Madrid

Manchester United

NBA

ESPN

Chelsea

LA Lakers

Arsenal

AC Milan

WWE

For NFL it is

Cowboys

Steelers

Patriots

Packers

Saints

Giants

Bears

49ers

Eagles

http://www.sportsfangraph.com/index.php

I don't think social media is an accurate gauge on who has the most passionate fans.  Lots of people talk about things online they hate.  Lots of people are talking about the Lakers, Patriots, Cowboys, Yankees because they have the most haters too.  Just because you're talking about a team online doesn't mean you like them.

I don't think social media is an accurate gauge on who has the most passionate fans.  Lots of people talk about things online they hate.  Lots of people are talking about the Lakers, Patriots, Cowboys, Yankees because they have the most haters too.  Just because you're talking about a team online doesn't mean you like them.

I don't know, I think it's a pretty good gauge of passion.  The fan graph includes those following the teams on social media as well as talking about them

With passion comes negativity, we see that here........quote a lot lately.  Every team has haters

Maybe to some extent there is a factor of tech use.  

But I'm not surprised to see cowboys and steelers at the top of the list.  They've had more exposure and I think they flat out have more fans because of it

But sheer number of fans, I don't think it's deniable that soccer is at the top......world wide anyway

I think Raiders fans are very passionate. Look at their fans in the stadium, as many costumes as Saints fans despite being awful for a decade... I also have friends who are crazy Raider fans so that may skew my opinion a bit

Again, as posted many times on this thread...the Raiders moved twice in 15 years and have been threatening to move again.  They can't find a city that wants them.  They have a hard time selling out and many of their games are blacked out.  Their fans don't travel well to games.  The Raiders have to put covers over part of their stadium to cover up seats because those seats weren't selling and to avoid a blackout so the Raiders shrunk their stadium.  NFL rules say that to avoid a blackout that 85% of tickets have to be sold the Thursday before a game.  Well the Raiders weren't meeting that goal so they had to cover up thousands of seats.

Steeler fans travel more and better than any other fans.  Their yellow Terrible Towels are seen in the stands at away games when the Steelers are on the road in an opposing team's stadium.

Really dumb question cause there is no real answer to it. Packers and Steelers fans are just as big as band wagon jumpers as the people outside of Texas that pull for the Cowboys.

I couldn't comment on the Steelers, though I understand they're vast, and travel well.

However, though all teams have their bandwagon fans, I wouldn't agree with you about the Packers.

The whole town owns them. They can always go hunting, or fishing after the game, and it's quite a ways to the next fan base. 

Raiders have had more home games blacked out due to lack of sellouts than any other team.  They can't sell out their home games.  You didn't know this?  This has been reported nationally and been a problem for the Raiders for years.  They're one of the NFL teams always searching for a new home.  A team that moves twice in around a 15 year span is a team that lacks a strong fan base and can't find a city to support them.

Saints weren't even on the radar till Brees showed up there.  They weren't really around during the Ditka years.  A few years before the Saints won the super bowl there were rumors the owner would move the team possibly to Los Angeles or another city.

Seahawks?  Where were the fans when they were in their old stadium?  A lot of johnny come lately's.  Let's just be honest here, the reason why there's a growing number of Seahawks bandwagon fans is because they think they're uniforms are cool.  Just keep it real.

This has already been discussed by engineers and stadium designers.  If you were to put the Seahawks' half roof design over any NFL stadium it will significantly increase the db level.  That's what engineers designed it to do.  If you were to put that design over the Broncos' stadium it would be even louder than the Seahawks' stadium.

Most loyal fans in pro sports are the Cubs fans and they sellout Wrigley Field.  They haven't won a World Series in 105 years (1908) and I think most of those years they finished below .500.

Many of your arguments, boy, how far back do we want to go in time. You could say many of these things about most any fan base if you go back far enough.

Cubs? The question was 'passionate', not loyal, and filling Wrigley has no bearing on 'loyal'. It's a party, as happening, and many there aren't Cubs fans. Not saying there aren't a lot of them, but Wrigley's not necessarily filled with them.

Not true.  lol  You don't judge 40,000 people in the stands by the couple of times you went and the few people you talked to there.  Even if you had a long conversation with 20 people at one game that's not even 1% of the crowd.

Ricker's opinion is pretty largely held by the Chicagoland area, including all forms of media not named WGN.