Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne's 2014 Season & WR Corps

Caleb3502

If Reggie has a spectacular season, which he is very capable of, coming off an ACL injury, could he win Comeback Player of the Year.  You could almost throw Vick Ballard into the possibility of CPOY but because he will share carries with DB and T Rich I don't think he will put up big enough numbers.  But I can definitely see Reggie put up a 100 catch, 1,200-yard receiving season.  That and I think next year is the final year of his contract.  Is he going to be too old by then or are they going to resign him at 36 years old?  He doesn't seem to be slowing down.  Jerry Rice played well after he hit 40 but was not as productive.    

Also, what could be the best possible receiving corps this year that is attainable?  I know 99.9% of us have pretty much given up on DHB and hopes he finds a job where dropping would help him, but who else should be out there more.  T.Y. will be the starter, but who do you want in 3-WR sets.  Hilton, Brazill, Rogers; Hilton, Whalen, Brazill; Hilton, Rogers, Brazill....What would be the best combination of WRs to use the rest of the season and into the playoffs?  Like I said before, we know DHB will be there, this is just what the lineup would be if we were in the coaches' spots.    

If Reggie has a spectacular season, which he is very capable of, coming off an ACL injury, could he win Comeback Player of the Year.  You could almost throw Vick Ballard into the possibility of CPOY but because he will share carries with DB and T Rich I don't think he will put up big enough numbers.  But I can definitely see Reggie put up a 100 catch, 1,200-yard receiving season.  That and I think next year is the final year of his contract.  Is he going to be too old by then or are they going to resign him at 36 years old?  He doesn't seem to be slowing down.  Jerry Rice played well after he hit 40 but was not as productive.    

Also, what could be the best possible receiving corps this year that is attainable?  I know 99.9% of us have pretty much given up on DHB and hopes he finds a job where dropping would help him, but who else should be out there more.  T.Y. will be the starter, but who do you want in 3-WR sets.  Hilton, Brazill, Rogers; Hilton, Whalen, Brazill; Hilton, Rogers, Brazill....What would be the best combination of WRs to use the rest of the season and into the playoffs?  Like I said before, we know DHB will be there, this is just what the lineup would be if we were in the coaches' spots.    

As far as WRs go for the rest of this year I think you go Hilton, Brazill, and Rogers in that order. I am guessing they keep DHB in the game somewhat at WR4. I would like to see them totally bench him and bring Whalen back up but as of right now I think you for sure go with Hilton, Brazill and Rogers.

Our team will be way better on offense. We get Wayne Allen Ballard and Thomas back. Satale should be gone. Holmes can't be any worse and I think a line of canstanzo Thomas Holmes Thornton celious will be a good enough line were luck doesn't get killed every five seconds. Add in to the fact we have money for FA and only really need to resign Davis and pat

With Reggie's future in doubt and no telling of how productive he's going to be I think we have to either draft or sign a receiver.

Reggie is a warrior though..

But we need someone along side of him ..

I don't think Brazil or Whalen can be that guy.

DHB is going bye bye.

Rogers has the potential.. But does he have the IT factor..

We should go with Hilton, Brazill and Rogers. Then throw in Fleener and we should be fine - provided the o-line can actually pass block.

As for next year's WR group I could see Reggie being used in the slot (when in 3 WR sets) with Hilton and a FA (Maclin) or draftpick (Matthews or Coleman) on the outside.

hilton, rogers, brazill.

Well with Reggie getting older we need to find a replacement for him and rise him up.  Someone who luck can build chemistry with and is very dependable. I say bring in 2 WR this off season, one from Draft and one from FA.  T.Y can still work on catching balls.  As good as he is, he needs to work on that.  T.Y dropped a ball against the titans which lead to an interception.  I'd say Reggie, TY, and others.  Hopefully we can pick up a big and physical receiver.  Brazil and rogers is a work a progress, but its never bad to have good backup receivers.

I certainly think Reggie not only will be back next year, but will sign another contract for two or three years (he wants to win another Super Bowl before retirement).  Agree with the previous comment about drafting a WR and signing a FA WR.  Hope that happens.  Hilton will be back, but that could be it for the present bunch (we all hope Rogers is for real . . . we shall see).

1.Wayne

2.Rogers (maybe hilton)

3.Hilton (maybe rogers)

4.Brazill

5.K.Bell (drafted out of nebraska)>>>>>>>My favorite player in the entire draft and a hidden gem! Checkout some of his highlights that 'nobody' posted in the draft section.

6.M.Purify (obtained from the AFL)

Why is everyone so high up on Rogers? There's a reason other teams let him go. Not saying he can't be good in the future, but some of you already have him starting.

Because we're a fan base of believing we can get the best out of people. I've always liked giving second chances to certain players. I know we got the right type of front office with this organization. He had a ton of upside. 

I would sign Doug Baldwin instead of Maclin. He would be cheaper and Maclin has been dinged-up a lot seemingly. Baldwin has been in the system before and would settle into a #2 or #3 role for now. Also, he could wait until next year but when he comes out, I want the Colts to draft Ty Montgomery.

T.Y Hilton

Reggie Wayne

Doug Baldwin

Da'Rick Rogers

(Ty Montgomery)

Lavon Brazill

Griff Whalen

Because we run a fair amount of 4-WR sets,  we need 5 quality wide receivers....

For next year, we currently have only 3.     Wayne,  Hilton,  and maybe Rogers.

So, for me, I'd like to sign two young veteran WR's...    I'd be fine with Maclin and Baldwin.    If not those two, then others.   But I'd like to focus our FA $$ this off-season on the offense.

-- Two wide receivers.

-- At least one, if not two OL.

-- Perhaps one RB.

We need guys that can step in and deliver around Luck.    I don't want to draft a rookie who will likely take a year or two to get up to speed.    Also, I'm expecting that the 2013 draft class should start paying dividends next year.  

I'm happy to focus our top 3 picks of the draft on defense.   We have plenty of needs there and I'd like to get younger on that side of the ball as well.

I don't expect this to be a popular view....   but that's my view for right now... 

Why is everyone so high up on Rogers? There's a reason other teams let him go. Not saying he can't be good in the future, but some of you already have him starting.

Heck at least one person said he was the MVP of Sunday's game...

I want Rogers to do well because he would clearly help an area where we really need help at but I don't think he's the super star in waiting some are making him out to be.  I think he might be a nice player who can give us some help but as bad as our WRs have been since Wayne went down if he was honestly anything close to the super star some have made him out to be he would have been playing well before now and frankly probably would have never made it out of Buffalo.  With that said, I hope he develops and does good things for us. 

Because we run a fair amount of 4-WR sets,  we need 5 quality wide receivers....

For next year, we currently have only 3.     Wayne,  Hilton,  and maybe Rogers.

So, for me, I'd like to sign two young veteran WR's...    I'd be fine with Maclin and Baldwin.    If not those two, then others.   But I'd like to focus our FA $$ this off-season on the offense.

-- Two wide receivers.

-- At least one, if not two OL.

-- Perhaps one RB.

We need guys that can step in and deliver around Luck.    I don't want to draft a rookie who will likely take a year or two to get up to speed.    Also, I'm expecting that the 2013 draft class should start paying dividends next year.  

I'm happy to focus our top 3 picks of the draft on defense.   We have plenty of needs there and I'd like to get younger on that side of the ball as well.

I don't expect this to be a popular view....   but that's my view for right now... 

So you want to spend the majority of our FA money on 2 high priced WR'S and a RB?

Oh lordy. :facepalm: 

So you want to spend the majority of our FA money on 2 high priced WR'S and a RB?

Oh lordy. :facepalm: 

No.

I don't want to spend big money on ANY high priced wide receivers.    Not one.

I want to spend money on a medium priced WR (say, Jeremy Maclin)   and I want to spend slightly less than that on an inexpensive WR with some upside (say, Doug Baldwin)...   

My point is we need two good WR's to give our group some quality depth.   And that can be done without spending huge $$, IMO.

I rarely want to spend huge money at any position...   though there are some exceptions...

Hope that clarifies my view....