Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reasons for the poor starts IMO

superrep1967

Here's just some of our glaring reasons for the poor starts IMO.

Our interior O-line is terrible no surprise there. We are all in agreement with that. 

The O-line isn't pass blocking or run blocking well which leads to a lot of 3 and outs. 

So no run game no consistent passing game. 

But with all that said Reggie would have help with these deficiencies and covered them up some. Reggie gets separation, runs great routes. He would have continued to be the receiver that could move the chains. We don't have anybody on our receiver core that can even handle being number 1. So there no way there even going to be close to  Reggie play which is what our offense desperately needs.

It pretty obvious that the receivers we have now aren't not even close to taking on the number 1 receiver role and even being somewhat consistent. So I don't blame everything on Luck because of the reasons just mentioned.But his play needs to improve as well by being a little more accurate on his throws and make some better decisions with his passes. Just IMO.  

The DHB experiment has failed and it's hurting us in a big way this season. He won't be back next season. 

The defense has been a train wreck.

I thought going into this season that our d-line was going to be one of our strong points on this team and boy was I wrong. The d-line is giving up a lot of big plays right up the middle. So we really haven't showed any improvement from last season team and that's very disappointing to me. Our linebackers aren't doing their job either but I do like Freeman, Mathis.. The rest of the NFL can have our other linebackers. IMO But for us to have any chance of winning against the Titans or any other team in the NFL. The Players on this Colts.needs everybody to do there job and do it better we need to play angry and take no prisoners. Our players needs a solid kick in the butt to get there blood flowing and get the competitive juices going and if they play angry we might have a chance to win. Treat every play likes it's your last because every play means everything in the NFL.  By the way our secondary has looked very poor at best and it's killing this team. Would Toler make that much of a difference? I mean were leaving guys wide open. Who's to blame for that?

Our interior O-line is terrible no surprise there. We are all in agreement with that. 

The O-line isn't pass blocking or run blocking well which leads to a lot of 3 and outs. 

But with all that said Reggie would have help with these deficiencies and covered them up some. Reggie gets separation, runs great routes. He would have continued to be the receiver that could move the chains. We don't have anybody on our receiver core that can even handle being number 1. So there no way there even going to be close to  Reggie play which is what our offense desperately needs.

It pretty obvious that the receivers we have now aren't not even close to taking on the number 1 receiver role and even being somewhat consistent. So I don't blame everything on Luck because of the reasons just mentioned.But his play needs to improve as well by being a little more accurate on his throws and make some better decisions with his passes. Just IMO.  

The DHB experiment has failed and it's hurting us in a big way this season. He won't be back next season. 

I thought going into this season that our d-line was going to be one of our strong points on this team and boy was I wrong. The d-line is giving up a lot of big plays right up the middle. So we really haven't showed any improvement from last season team and that's very disappointing to me. Our linebackers aren't doing their job either but I do like Freeman, Mathis.. The rest of the NFL can have our other linebackers. IMO But for us to have any chance of winning against the Titans or any other team in the NFL. The Players on this Colts.needs everybody to do there job and do it better we need to play angry and take no prisoners. Our players needs a solid kick in the butt to get there blood flowing and get the competitive juices going and if they play angry we might have a chance to win. Treat every play likes it's your last because every play means everything in the NFL.  By the way our secondary has looked very poor at best and it's killing this team. Would Toler make that much of a difference? I mean were leaving guys wide open. Who's to blame for that?

53suk.jpg You don't blame everything on Luck ?   Good   now  why not blame the

coach's  ??  

Slow starts IMO are on the coach's   .      taking back the AFC South is the first goal  the Colts can & will seal the deal sunday .

I would say the offense's slow starting is on Pep. He said it himself, he scripts the first 15 plays of the game. I don't know if that is a common NFL practice, but I do know that it means that we are going to do the same thing for the first 3-4 possessions simply because he wants to follow his plan and refuses to adjust at all.

I would say the offense's slow starting is on Pep. He said it himself, he scripts the first 15 plays of the game. I don't know if that is a common NFL practice, but I do know that it means that we are going to do the same thing for the first 3-4 possessions simply because he wants to follow his plan and refuses to adjust at all.

the first 15 is very common even in high school but what I think is pep doesn't game plan against the other teams weakness. ... He game plans with our strengths in mind but not taking into account whether our "strength" is null and void against the opposing teams strength.

Recently the coaching staff is fond of pointing to the lack of third down conversions and blaming that for the slow starts and saying "we have to fix that and do better". Uh, yea, but that's no answer, what is the fix?  HOW do you plan to "correct" that?  Personnel changes? Better play calls? More no huddle? The questions abound but all we get is platitudes like we have to execute better while at the same time Chuck makes the affirmation that there will be no change in the philosophy ("run the ball, stop the run"), in other words we "stay with the process" and stay the course. SUPER. Sooooo finally this week the fans know that we will at least see a few new players on the field but it feels like Chuck is begrudgingly doing this after so many questions about the players he has held back from the field for so long. The NFL is no place for a RIGID mind or philosophy. 

the first 15 is very common even in high school but what I think is pep doesn't game plan against the other teams weakness. ... He game plans with our strengths in mind but not taking into account whether our "strength" is null and void against the opposing teams strength.

I completely agree. I think he is trying to do what he's comfortable with, not exactly what theoretically would work. I personally think that we should run more plays out of the shotgun, and maybe the pistol. I'm not saying run a base offense out of the shotgun, but this offense isn't really working as of late. It doesn't utilize our best weapons, IMO.

Some coaches script their first 15 plays with great success.   Bill Walsh always did it and he was kind of a decent coach.  Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner all did the same thing.  The Idea is to use different formations and personnel to keep the defense off balance, and test how the defense reacts.  Pep has called plays on the first possession well until they reach the outskirts of the Red Zone. He's also called more risky plays at the beginning of the game like the Flea Flicker.

I completely agree. I think he is trying to do what he's comfortable with, not exactly what theoretically would work. I personally think that we should run more plays out of the shotgun, and maybe the pistol. I'm not saying run a base offense out of the shotgun, but this offense isn't really working as of late. It doesn't utilize our best weapons, IMO.

you said alot better than I did... show off lmao... but that's it man and to add insult to injury we trot out the mike mcglynns and Sanson Sateles of the world like their Jerry kramer and Will shields

I agree. Reality is there really are only a handful of players that have played good all year=Luck(not his fault line sux, Adam v, Jerell f, Reggie w, Robert m, Jack d(blocking), Matt overton......Thats it,everybody else is inconsistent as hell and unreliable which equals are crappy team. Some will say im wrong but keep in mind how many games we could easily of lost and had an even worse record like maybe only 3 or 4 wins.

a slow start? I think we did pretty darn good beginning of the season. We went 4-1 in the first 5 weeks of the regular season. Next we went 5-2 after week 7. Then we been inconsistent winning and losing every other week.  We were a dominant team at the start of the season and now during midway we started to be mediocre. This team just need to become on fire when it needs too

Our slow starts are on execution. Lack of execution. Trent Richardson being hit in the backfield, Andrew Luck forced to scramble, WR's getting no separation.

This is the same scheme, coaches, & mentality that beat Seattle, Denver, & San Francisco

All the coaches can do is call the plays, not execute them.

So in summary, I blame the players

Our slow starts are on execution. Lack of execution. Trent Richardson being hit in the backfield, Andrew Luck forced to scramble, WR's getting no separation.

This is the same scheme, coaches, & mentality that beat Seattle, Denver, & San Francisco

Not saying that you are wriong but of the 3 issues you listed 2 of them could possibly be traced back to Pagano/Grigson not having/fielding a good enough o-line to protect Luck or to make some better holes for Richardson.

Not saying that you are wriong but of the 3 issues you listed 2 of them could possibly be traced back to Pagano/Grigson not having/fielding a good enough o-line to protect Luck or to make some better holes for Richardson.

We have the player's to have a "decent" offensive line. That's the ONLY part I blame the coaches is that they won't start Mike McGlynn at C, bench Samson Satele, & put Reitz or Link at G

That's the line we beat San Francisco with. Excuse me, we didn't beat San Francisco........ we DOMINATED their front 7. There's not many teams in this NFL that can say they dominated the San Francisco front 7 consisting of Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Justin Smith, & Ahmad Brooks

Change the personnel on the field until we can make the right changes in the off-season

We have the player's to have a "decent" offensive line. That's the ONLY part I blame the coaches is that they won't start Mike McGlynn at C, bench Samson Satele, & put Reitz or Link at G

That's the line we beat San Francisco with. Excuse me, we didn't beat San Francisco........ we DOMINATED their front 7. There's not many teams in this NFL that can say they dominated the San Francisco front 7 consisting of Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Justin Smith, & Ahmad Brooks

Change the personnel on the field until we can make the right changes in the off-season

OK in that I totally agree it worked great in that game and I really don't understand why you wouldn't at least try something again if it worked so well the 1st time. They may come out flat that could have just been a fluke but how will anyone ever know if we don't try it again? It just baffles me.

OK in that I totally agree it worked great in that game and I really don't understand why you wouldn't at least try something again if it worked so well the 1st time. They may come out flat that could have just been a fluke but how will anyone ever know if we don't try it again? It just baffles me.

I think we did try it again the Jacksonville game not sure. It was a slow start but in the end we blew Jacksonville out too.

All I know is something has gotta give soon or we're in danger of not making the playoffs. Sitting at 7 wins and we're 2-2 since the loss of Reggie Wayne

The defense is the issue. Given an even score, I still like our O. When we start out in the hole because the D let's the other team build up a 2 score lead, our O plays are limited.

It's funny to me that everyone is so concerned about the offense and seem to forget how many point the D has given up lately.

Great coaches adapt to circumstances.  That means adapt to exploit what other teams are doing and that means adapt to the strength of the players you put on the field ... no square peg / round hole issues.

I am impressed that the Colts are 7-4 at this point.  If they finish the season at 11-5 or 12-4, or even if they finish 10-6 but win the division, I think that MOST Colts fans would be extremely pleased with that regular season performance if such were considered from before this season began.

That being said, they have looked REALLY bad at times.  I was AT the Cardinals game and what I saw live was a brutal team performance.  Nobody was making plays.  Blockers were blocking, runners weren't finding holes that are not there, and receivers weren't making any plays.  

It's amazing how if you really think about it, just how thin of a line it is between winning and losing.  Countless times in the past with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, when a big catch had to be made, it was MADE.  And when a routine catch had to be made, it was MADE.  Without Reggie, routine plays are suddenly failing and non-routine BIG catches are almost non-existent.

On defense, Mathis still makes big plays, but then, seemingly all the time, the Colts fail to stop third and long.  The defense's inability to get off the field KILLS!  DTs have to hold their ground and fill holes.  DBs have to cover and prevent the catch.  Everybody needs to make that tackle at FIRST impact!  When the Colts have been bad, NOBODY is doing their job.  

Encouragingly, when everybody IS doing their job, the Colts have managed to put up a decent 7-4 record so far.  Through it all, the Colts have shown themselves to be vulnerable and inconsistent, yet formidable and dangerous.

What my eyes have seen is an offense that needs to step up the pace.  They always seem to do well when things become urgent.  I say let's go hurry up.  I say lets get the ball to players like Brown and Richardson in space.  I think on offense you gotta start play calling so that NOBODY can just fill the box to stop our (misguided?) commitment to a power running game.  I mean, having a power running game is indeed critically important ... you HAVE to be able to gain that one or two yards when you need it, but man, if you don't have the hogs to facilitate a power running game, you're just banging your head against a wall. FFS, go AROUND the wall if you can't go through it!

Anyway, I think we're clearly all pretty bummed with the Colts' horrendous performance 2.5 out of the previous three weeks, but THIS weekend's game against Tennessee is what will really be telling.  Basically, if the Colts win, they're in.   Pagano apparently said it, this is the Colts chance to put the nail in the coffin and secure 1st place.  As hot and cold as the Colts have been this year, if ANYBODY said that the Colts will have effectively locked up the division title after only 12 games, I think virtually ALL of us would have yelled SOLD! at the top of our lungs.

I shall bite my lip and hold my concern until after I see the results of this weekends game verse the Titans.  Win and we have cause for optimism, for anything can happen in the playoffs.  (In the Colts SuperBowl year in the 2006 season, the Colts won a lot of games that were won ugly, as evidence.)  Job one is to get in and the Colts are almost there.  Lose this weekend, though, and we have reason to be VERY worried.

Yeah I agree! The coaches got this mindset that we need to stick to the process. Well the process isn't working so the coaches need to wake up and do some different things and stop being so stubborn. 

I guess I would sum it up like this.  We can't run block, pass block, pass the ball, run the ball, stop the run, stop the pass, return kicks, or stop the other team from getting returns.  Our coaching staff making questionable calls.  Other than those things, we are all set.

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!

Great coaches adapt to circumstances.  That means adapt to exploit what other teams are doing and that means adapt to the strength of the players you put on the field ... no square peg / round hole issues.

I am impressed that the Colts are 7-4 at this point.  If they finish the season at 11-5 or 12-4, or even if they finish 10-6 but win the division, I think that MOST Colts fans would be extremely pleased with that regular season performance if such were considered from before this season began.

That being said, they have looked REALLY bad at times.  I was AT the Cardinals game and what I saw live was a brutal team performance.  Nobody was making plays.  Blockers were blocking, runners weren't finding holes that are not there, and receivers weren't making any plays.  

It's amazing how if you really think about it, just how thin of a line it is between winning and losing.  Countless times in the past with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, when a big catch had to be made, it was MADE.  And when a routine catch had to be made, it was MADE.  Without Reggie, routine plays are suddenly failing and non-routine BIG catches are almost non-existent.

On defense, Mathis still makes big plays, but then, seemingly all the time, the Colts fail to stop third and long.  The defense's inability to get off the field KILLS!  DTs have to hold their ground and fill holes.  DBs have to cover and prevent the catch.  Everybody needs to make that tackle at FIRST impact!  When the Colts have been bad, NOBODY is doing their job.  

Encouragingly, when everybody IS doing their job, the Colts have managed to put up a decent 7-4 record so far.  Through it all, the Colts have shown themselves to be vulnerable and inconsistent, yet formidable and dangerous.

What my eyes have seen is an offense that needs to step up the pace.  They always seem to do well when things become urgent.  I say let's go hurry up.  I say lets get the ball to players like Brown and Richardson in space.  I think on offense you gotta start play calling so that NOBODY can just fill the box to stop our (misguided?) commitment to a power running game.  I mean, having a power running game is indeed critically important ... you HAVE to be able to gain that one or two yards when you need it, but man, if you don't have the hogs to facilitate a power running game, you're just banging your head against a wall. FFS, go AROUND the wall if you can't go through it!

Anyway, I think we're clearly all pretty bummed with the Colts' horrendous performance 2.5 out of the previous three weeks, but THIS weekend's game against Tennessee is what will really be telling.  Basically, if the Colts win, they're in.   Pagano apparently said it, this is the Colts chance to put the nail in the coffin and secure 1st place.  As hot and cold as the Colts have been this year, if ANYBODY said that the Colts will have effectively locked up the division title after only 12 games, I think virtually ALL of us would have yelled SOLD! at the top of our lungs.

I shall bite my lip and hold my concern until after I see the results of this weekends game verse the Titans.  Win and we have cause for optimism, for anything can happen in the playoffs.  (In the Colts SuperBowl year in the 2006 season, the Colts won a lot of games that were won ugly, as evidence.)  Job one is to get in and the Colts are almost there.  Lose this weekend, though, and we have reason to be VERY worried.

Great post!!!!

Sorry TK I blame the coaching staff as well as the players and that includes all of the above. The staff doesn't have this team ready to play at all and Reggie covered up a of of the weaknesses that we are now seeing since Reggie is unable to play.  Luck has made some bad plays as well and part of it is caused by the O-line but not all of them. This is all just my opinion. :peek:  I am beginning to think now that the wins against Seattle,SF and Denver was a fluke but Reggie was playing at the time also  which was a big part of the reason we won those games.

The defense is the issue. Given an even score, I still like our O. When we start out in the hole because the D let's the other team build up a 2 score lead, our O plays are limited.

It's funny to me that everyone is so concerned about the offense and seem to forget how many point the D has given up lately.

I said the defense is a train wreck.

Sorry TK I blame the coaching staff as well as the players and that includes all of the above. The staff doesn't have this team ready to play at all and Reggie covered up a of of the weaknesses that we are now seeing since Reggie is unable to play.  Luck has made some bad plays as well and part of it is caused by the O-line but not all of them. This is all just my opinion. :peek:  I am beginning to think now that the wins against Seattle,SF and Denver was a fluke but Reggie was playing at the time also  which was a big part of the reason we won those games.

That's basically what I said

The coaches can also bench players, change who starts, give more snaps to different players, and give snaps to player who have yet to have a chance. It the last option were I think this coaching staff has been rigid to a fault. We should have seen some more play for Rogers and Heron. Brown should have started by now and should have the majority of the snaps, O-Line should have been shuffled. I could make the same type of cases for the defensive side of the ball too but my point is that players have zero responsibility for who starts and who plays and that is on the coaches. How many bad quarters of football do you need to see over the last 5 games as a coach to make a decision that some player, any player is responsible for the ongoing, frequent lack of execution

It is NOT rocket science (but it might be too much for Pep).

Pep tries to establish the run for the whole 1st half...it fails misserably, lots of 3 and outs...meanwhile, the other team is busy racking up TDs through the air and on the ground...Pep finally gives up and asks Andrew to bail him out through the air for the 2nd half.

Pep is about as smart as a crash-test dummy, and as stubborn as...uh....eh...er...Dungy.

I would have to reiterate that the biggest blame for this issue falls squarley on Pagano and his coaching staff.

Slow starts, lack of preparation and lack of corrections/adjustments are the issue

I like pagano and his toughness but he is 8-7 as the head coach and he may not be the guy for the job

It is NOT rocket science (but it might be too much for Pep).

Pep tries to establish the run for the whole 1st half...it fails misserably, lots of 3 and outs...meanwhile, the other team is busy racking up TDs through the air and on the ground...Pep finally gives up and asks Andrew to bail him out through the air for the 2nd half.

Pep is about as smart as a crash-test dummy, and as stubborn as...uh....eh...er...Dungy.

pep is so sold on being this and that he for got whats important winning by any means

Maybe so....but he sure is lousy at using the talents of the players he has....he just tries to force his stupid failure running game.

pep needs to adjust to what he has, but lets be honest with our selves its one thing to say pass pass pass , but with this oline i think pep are scared luck will be killed and rather send trent into the fire than risk killing luck cause this oline cant block so we have to accept to pass, u have to be able to block and luck will get killed so maybe thats why we run so much lol