Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Show - He Said Painter Has12 Games Left To Play, Doesnt That Mean Peyton None

bayone

• When asked by a caller about Curtis Painter, Polian said the 12 games Curtis will play will determine his status with the Colts. Polian praised Jim Caldwell and Frank Reich for developing Painter. There was no mention of current QB coach Ron Turner.
  • @LovinBlue and I found the 'Painter 12 game' comment interesting. 'i.e., PM not returning this yr.'

Hindsight on Collins is 20/20. Very easy for us to be Monday morning QBs. What were they supposed to do? Collins was the only reasonable choice to bring in.

As far as the Painter/12 game comment. I'd be shocked if Manning plays this year. What would be the point even if he could. Would be a STUPID move.

The bigger question is IF Manning will ever play again.

PM playing this year is an afterthought at best. Whats more striking is this sounds like an admission that Collins isn't getting back in and he was a $4 million mistake. Not to mention the 11 quarters we wasted on him to start the season.

If I were in Polians shoes based on what we had seen from Painter in the preseason games, I too would have made the deal to bring in a guy who studied our team twice a year for awhile and has a very good career. It just so happened that we have a really crappy team and he had a very limited time to learn this playbook. Not a good mix. Painter is a very avg QB but he had the advantage of knowing the playbook and the tutoring of PM over the past 3 years. I thought 4 million was a bit steep for him but it appears Polian felt the team was good enough to at least compete with a QB who was experienced over a QB who has shown absolutely nothing so far in Painter. IDK, but under the cicumstances, I can certainly understand him taking the shot at trying to salvage the year with a Vet. Just didn't work out.

If I were in Polians shoes based on what we had seen from Painter in the preseason games, I too would have made the deal to bring in a guy who studied our team twice a year for awhile and has a very good career. It just so happened that we have a really crappy team and he had a very limited time to learn this playbook. Not a good mix. Painter is a very avg QB but he had the advantage of knowing the playbook and the tutoring of PM over the past 3 years. I thought 4 million was a bit steep for him but it appears Polian felt the team was good enough to at least compete with a QB who was experienced over a QB who has shown absolutely nothing so far in Painter. IDK, but under the cicumstances, I can certainly understand him taking the shot at trying to salvage the year with a Vet. Just didn't work out.

I agree fully.

Chewy, is that you?

It begs the question; Why have Painter on the roster at all if they had zero confidence in him? Because they didn't even look at the kid for the last three years? What?

I too thought Collins was a good choice. Then again, I'm not privy to watching Painter everyday and dumping all my time into studying players. The whole thing went down dubiously. Manning suddenly gets a season ending surgery right before the preseason, we panic and scramble for a QB only to tick away $4 million and go with the guy we already had?

I've heard this "hindsight 20/20" excuse a bit too much. Deciding not to wear my seatbelt and then smashing my face on the windshield isn't a failure of foresight, it's just plain foolish. Much the same as we gambled at QB for 12 years and have subsequently watched an entire season circle the drain well before the halfway point.

Hindsight on Collins is 20/20. Very easy for us to be Monday morning QBs. What were they supposed to do? Collins was the only reasonable choice to bring in.

As far as the Painter/12 game comment. I'd be shocked if Manning plays this year. What would be the point even if he could. Would be a STUPID move.

I totally agree with this, yes Collins was a mistake in hindisght, but we all applauded it save for Wayne , as we all saw Painter show nothing and same wityh Colts, so this time i will give the OK to the Colt FO on tha though yes what a waste of money

Peyton should stay off IR only so he can hopefully practice, NOT TOPLAY

& yes Next year if ever is the ? with Peyton

With Polian you never know. He keeps somethings guarded and lets others slide through the cracks.

Personally, I think the main reason Manning is still on the active roster is two-fold. 1) Putting him on IR signifies more of an official end to the season/hopes, which to many have already been ended but you do see some still thinking we make the playoffs and so on. 2) When he is ready to "return to action", he can return to practice without playing. This will give them a chance to see where he is, and to see what type of recovery he has made. If he goes on IR he can't practice and I'm not sure if they can work him out individually or not.

I don't see him playing, even if he's cleared what is the point if you are 2-10, or 1-8, or whatever the record may be at that point. Seeing him in game situations is one thing, but I'm not sure it is worth the risk even if he is 100% healthy.

If he is 100% healthy I could see him playing out his contract and another 1-3 year extension. I think missing this year will light a fire under him and show him what life without the full grind is like and I feel that will make him put off retirement as long as he can.

With Polian you never know. He keeps somethings guarded and lets others slide through the cracks.

Personally, I think the main reason Manning is still on the active roster is two-fold. 1) Putting him on IR signifies more of an official end to the season/hopes, which to many have already been ended but you do see some still thinking we make the playoffs and so on. 2) When he is ready to "return to action", he can return to practice without playing. This will give them a chance to see where he is, and to see what type of recovery he has made. If he goes on IR he can't practice and I'm not sure if they can work him out individually or not.

I don't see him playing, even if he's cleared what is the point if you are 2-10, or 1-8, or whatever the record may be at that point. Seeing him in game situations is one thing, but I'm not sure it is worth the risk even if he is 100% healthy.

If he is 100% healthy I could see him playing out his contract and another 1-3 year extension. I think missing this year will light a fire under him and show him what life without the full grind is like and I feel that will make him put off retirement as long as he can.

Quick question;

Are IR'd players allowed on the sidelines?

PM playing this year is an afterthought at best. Whats more striking is this sounds like an admission that Collins isn't getting back in and he was a $4 million mistake. Not to mention the 11 quarters we wasted on him to start the season.

So, I've given it some thought, and while this is going to sound like a crackpot scheme, I think there is some merit to it.

Collins starting actually did serve a purpose. It made the fan base want Curtis Painter in the game. Prior to that, he was that guy who screwed up the perfect season (even if it wasn't his fault, that was our lasting memory of him) and the guy who stunk up the preseason.

Well enter Kerry Collins and now suddenly the fan base is clamouring for Curtis Painter. If he starts week one, we'd be hating him.

Don't think that was the intention of bring in Collins, but it's certainly the result. You have to admit, the fanbase's opinion of Painter is pretty different now than it was week one.

So, I've given it some thought, and while this is going to sound like a crackpot scheme, I think there is some merit to it.

Collins starting actually did serve a purpose. It made the fan base want Curtis Painter in the game. Prior to that, he was that guy who screwed up the perfect season (even if it wasn't his fault, that was our lasting memory of him) and the guy who stunk up the preseason.

Well enter Kerry Collins and now suddenly the fan base is clamouring for Curtis Painter. If he starts week one, we'd be hating him.

Don't think that was the intention of bring in Collins, but it's certainly the result. You have to admit, the fanbase's opinion of Painter is pretty different now than it was week one.

Weird that you say that...cuz I was hatin on Painter like a hippie bashin punk.

Heh, well by and large the opinion of Painter has improved from game 1 to game 6. Obviously not without his faults, but he's played better than I expected him to.

How does polian know he has all those weeks to play, I thought that was caldwells call? Maybe jim goes back

to collins.

Hindsight on Collins is 20/20. Very easy for us to be Monday morning QBs. What were they supposed to do? Collins was the only reasonable choice to bring in. As far as the Painter/12 game comment. I'd be shocked if Manning plays this year. What would be the point even if he could. Would be a STUPID move. The bigger question is IF Manning will ever play again.

Actually, Marc Bulger has better completion percentage carrer, has a quick realease, and was used to a pass happy offense like ours. I think he was the obvious choice, but like you said, hindsight is 20/20

Edited by Xfiles

I know that but the title said "12 left to play"

the line stated it in show recap said that WILL PLAY , so i didnt add and assumed will meant left to play,

take it up with stampede blue's wording

Edited by bayone

I agree on Collins..Its is what I would have done.

Curtis had given i indication he could do what he's doing now.... and we need more from him...

I expect Manning to play at New England in December.....

but until he's reevaluated at the end of the month..no one knows...not even him

Curtis had given i indication he could do what he's doing now.... and we need more from him...

absolutely no way he plays @ Pats In Dec, He will risk permanent injury, let him stay off IR so can ptactice with team wwhen is cleared but dont let him play this season, He needs a Hard ,Not Soft fusion, thats 6 months not 3 & the nerve needs to regenerate and his triceps needs to gain strength , u just cant throw him in and expect him to perform without much practice first, thats a recipe for disaster

once IR'd and peyton himself said its OK with him if team needs the rooster spot, bur t once IR'd he cant practice with team and thats important for his rehab

Edited by bayone

I kinda still am...ya so he's played halfway decent (barely average) for the three games he's been in...but is this seriously the guy we want to build our franchise around when Peyton is long gone? What say you all you brand new Painter fans?

I kinda still am...ya so he's played halfway decent (barely average) for the three games he's been in...but is this seriously the guy we want to build our franchise around when Peyton is long gone? What say you all you brand new Painter fans?

To quote myself...I believe he'll be relegated to career backup again, even after we draft a quarterback somewhere in next year's draft to groom to eventually replace Peytong Manning. God forbid we name Curtis as Peyton's successor... :loco:

Actually, Marc Bulger has better completion percentage carrer, has a quick realease, and was used to a pass happy offense like ours. I think he was the obvious choice, but like you said, hindsight is 20/20

Caldwell and polian were familiar with Collins.

Not unlike Hugh (Raiders) was familiar with carson Palmer.

Familiarity goes a LONG way.

Why do you expect manning to play in NE?

There is nothing to gain and much to lose.

PRIDE can be dangerous. I hope polian isn't that stupid.

Curtis plays 12 games, Collins plays 3, who plays the last remaining game? :huh:

While listening to the show I first thought the league is going to dig up the 18 game sked.. (12 left to play) and then realized might have been a slip and he meant 12 games that Painter plays. Arrived at the same question/ conclusion :sadno:.

Thats quite a jump you made.

I have never said anything even remotely suggesting that we go with Painter after Manning retires. What made you come to that conclusion? Painter is simply our best option at this time.