Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman did not Travel to Houston

HtownColt

Champan? He was a healthy scratch for the Denver game. Must of happened during practice? Sucks, he is a huge run stopper. Luckily Franklin has been looking better.

Man I hope this kids knee turns out to be ok. Seems like when we get a good player they get some kind of lingering injury that keeps them off the field.

Josh is the Pillar of the line. Unfortunately he does not move much. Hard to move, but he won`t make many plays.

Opposing QB`s can play knowing he will not be giving them pressure up the middle.

Moala got his playing time last game, a real surprise, but clearly they wanted someone more active.

At his current weight his value is on short yardage/goal line.

honest question, Has Chapman even been playing well? I never seem to notice him but that could be a good thing.

He's played okay, doesn't deserve to start. Those D line positions sometimes take a year or so of experience before you know what you have.

I tried to tell people that he was a decent player at Bama, not a star. He had great desire and played through injury. But I think a lot of people here wanted to believe he was the second coming of Haokti Ngata.

Josh is the Pillar of the line. Unfortunately he does not move much. Hard to move, but he won`t make many plays.

Opposing QB`s can play knowing he will not be giving them pressure up the middle.

Moala got his playing time last game, a real surprise, but clearly they wanted someone more active.

Actually he does make plays, they don't go on the stat sheet but it's there. When teams run up the middle, the RB has to bounce out cause the middle is clogged with him. I'll take that all game

At his current weight he is only 360 that's his job to stop the run not make plays , he is a space eatter to allow freeman and the other MLB to make plays , u can't probly name on two fingers a nt that can make a play on the qb

Actually he does make plays, they don't go on the stat sheet but it's there. When teams run up the middle, the RB has to bounce out cause the middle is clogged with him. I'll take that all game

Actually they double him, knock him back 2 yards, and create cuts left or right depending on where Freeman is, as they can drag Angerer for 5 yards. 

Making plays- I have watched Franklin beat his man off the snap, dive in low with a sweep at RB`s feet causing them to have to jump/lose momentum, trip them, in other words Make a Play, so an Angerer can fall on them and get credit.

Josh won`t make a play more than 2 steps from his starting position. All in all, that is an issue. JMO

At his current weight he is only 360 that's his job to stop the run not make plays , he is a space eatter to allow freeman and the other MLB to make plays , u can't probly name on two fingers a nt that can make a play on the qb

Well, ANYONE on the otherside of Satele, so there is a bunch. That was easy!

Hmmm, Nada, Wilfork, Poe, there are others who get hurries and hits on the QB.

Of course I and ANY DC would consider getting SOME Push in a QB`s face as Invaluable.

I have read a number of such blather on this forum that 3-4 D-Lineman are not paid to make plays.

Mindless! All the good ones shed blocks and disrupt. That is why I had No Use for Moala & Mathews. They had been YOUR kind guys, and got run over and around. Mostly useless.

Actually they double him, knock him back 2 yards, and create cuts left or right depending on where Freeman is, as they can drag Angerer for 5 yards.

Making plays- I have watched Franklin beat his man off the snap, dive in low with a sweep at RB`s feet causing them to have to jump/lose momentum, trip them, in other words Make a Play, so an Angerer can fall on them and get credit.

Josh won`t make a play more than 2 steps from his starting position. All in all, that is an issue. JMO

I agree that Franklin has looked much better. First few games he looked like crap in the middle trying to stop the run. Insert chap, no more running up the middle. I have seen him struggle on a few plays but most part he is doing well. Just wish he would of never changed his #. Was more of a nt # and easier to spot.

Well, ANYONE on the otherside of Satele, so there is a bunch. That was easy!

Hmmm, Nada, Wilfork, Poe, there are others who get hurries and hits on the QB.

Of course I and ANY DC would consider getting SOME Push in a QB`s face as Invaluable.

I have read a number of such blather on this forum that 3-4 D-Lineman are not paid to make plays.

Mindless! All the good ones shed blocks and disrupt. That is why I had No Use for Moala & Mathews. They had been YOUR kind guys, and got run over and around. Mostly useless.

U is right about satele lol , but nada is not a nt , and wilfork is the best at the spot but when he is getting push he is lined up at the 5 tech , the pat do that a lot

He's played okay, doesn't deserve to start. Those D line positions sometimes take a year or so of experience before you know what you have.

I tried to tell people that he was a decent player at Bama, not a star. He had great desire and played through injury. But I think a lot of people here wanted to believe he was the second coming of Haokti Ngata.

anyone thinking chapman would be the next Ngata was setting themselves up for disappointment. I remember right after he was drafted a lot of people posting asking about him.  I and others said many times he was a force against the run but wouldn't provide much as far as a pass rush goes.  a few tried to argue saying stuff like "he hasn't played a down yet in the NFL, how do you know he won't be able to rush the passer?" etc etc.  

I do think Chapman is better against the run than Franklin is, at least as far as from a purely physical standpoint.  At the moment though, Franklin obviously is still the far more experienced of the 2.

This could hurt us in short yardage situations. Besides that he isn't a factor at all

that's not true at all.   He was brought in to clog the middle and allow the ILB's to remain clean and that's what he's been doing regardless of the down and distance.