Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'Rick Rodgers: A Layman's View

backshoulderfade

My favorite thing about Da'Rick is his catch ability. Jump balls, diving catches, catches while taking big hits.

We could do with a fantastic pair of hands.

I assume you're basing that on his college days. I'm still having a hard time getting over the Bills cutting him. But so did the Colts, yet they must think he has potential. I hope he pans out, but I kind of doubt it will be this season.

Rodgers was let go from the Bills because they currently do not have a dynamic receiving corps and need someone that can produce now, and can't wait for him to develop.

The Colts can afford to take a chance on him and let him develop because they already have established receivers. This is a good opportunity for Rodgers and possibly a win-win for both.

Now what drives me crazy is fans stating he should start or be moved up into rotation. They don't see him in practice every day, while the coaches do. When the coaches see that he's ready, he'll get some playing time. The coaches are not blind or biased. They want to win and will put the best product on the field.

I maintain. Same exact thing lol. Just flip some names around in 5 years. It's cyclical.

Everyone thought Hall was great, turns out not so much.

Yeah but don't forget to factor in Hall was injured his rookie year and placed on IR early on in the season. Hall was ALWAYS injured and placed on IR a couple times at least, he only played like 7 games his first three years due to injuries.

Rodgers was let go from the Bills because they currently do not have a dynamic receiving corps and need someone that can produce now, and can't wait for him to develop.

The Colts can afford to take a chance on him and let him develop because they already have established receivers. This is a good opportunity for Rodgers and possibly a win-win for both.

Now what drives me crazy is fans stating he should start or be moved up into rotation. They don't see him in practice every day, while the coaches do. When the coaches see that he's ready, he'll get some playing time. The coaches are not blind or biased. They want to win and will put the best product on the field.

Best rationale I've heard so far!

Yeah but don't forget to factor in Hall was injured his rookie year and placed on IR early on in the season. Hall was ALWAYS injured and placed on IR a couple times at least, he only played like 7 games his first three years due to injuries.

He was injured, but he's been healthy, according to his Wikipedia page lol, and he still washed out of the league.

Hart was good in college but had marginal size and speed for the pro game. Your comparing apple's and Grapes. Rogers has the potential and skill to be a good NFL receiver. But does he have the head or desire? Only time will tell!

I'm comparing a player who people wanted to be good. To another that people want to be good lol.

Justifications are what they are. But his college numbers don't predict success just like Mike Harts didn't was my point.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, October 28, 2013 - spam
Hidden by 21isSuperman, October 28, 2013 - spam

Fellow Colts Fans! I have recently made a pump up video for our Colts! It's short sweet and to the point, check it out and tell me what think of it! And I may make more!

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=wbT9va-MGIY

(remove space between the "/" and "watch" to bring you to page:)

Thanks, GO COLTS GO!

I hope after Wayne's surgery he will spend a lot of time mentoring Rogers ... basically see if Reggie would be willing to take on the job of Roger's personal WR (and life) coach.  I think if Reggie (and Rogers) would agree to this arrangement it would benefit them both; Wayne would have a way to continue to contribute and Rogers would hopefully learn what it takes to be a pro and possibly become Wayne's heir apparent.

I hope after Wayne's surgery he will spend a lot of time mentoring Rogers ... basically see if Reggie would be willing to take on the job of Roger's personal WR (and life) coach. I think if Reggie (and Rogers) would agree to this arrangement it would benefit them both; Wayne would have a way to continue to contribute and Rogers would hopefully learn what it takes to be a pro and possibly become Wayne's heir apparent.

Why Rodgers? If anything, Wayne should continue to tutor T.Y since as of right now he is our future. Rodgers (as of right now) is JAG, trying to get on the 53.

Why Rodgers? If anything, Wayne should continue to tutor T.Y since as of right now he is our future. Rodgers (as of right now) is JAG, trying to get on the 53.

Everything I have seen and read about TY says he is already very self motivated, putting in a lot of extra film and study time, early for meeting & practice etc ... I think the only thing holding TY back right now is game time experience and learning the little nuances and tricks that usually come with time. 

I am not saying Wayne should ignore the other guys; I have no doubt that if TY has a question he will come to Reggie and ask or if Reggie sees something he will tell TY, but I think Rogers would get the most benefit from the individual mentor type experience. And yes I know he is only on the PS, but I think his skill and potential are undeniable, he just needs to learn discipline and how to focus that raw talent.

I want to see Rogers on the field before I form an opinion. What he did in college means absolutely nothing here.

As for Mike Hart in my mind he was a great Colt because of the spirit with which he played. I am happy he was with our Colts and I think he did very well for the time he played.

I agree unless he can translate that talent to the field it is meaningless, but WR is one of the positions with a steeper learning curve.  And while I agree that we have to take what he did in college with a grain of salt, I think we also need to realize he is not that far removed from college. We are only 8 games into his rookie season, there were a lot of WRs who were actually drafted, some  pretty high who have not made much of an impact yet.

Rogers talent is ridiculous he just needs to grow up still.  A lot of guys that have always been the best on the field get that attitude that they are owed something. Hopefully he can figure it out with help from the vets on the team, especially now that reggie has extra time on his hands.  If someone can get through to him he can be a beast if not he will be out of the league.

To me the question is, is Rogers a slow learner or a No learner. They are giving him a shot, so...

Polian once said the (his) minimum speed for a WR to get separation was 4.51. Rogers ran 4.5.

Don`t know if that is his best but that would make him marginal as far as speed goes. Wonder where Boldin was at, he does ok. :)

His size and other described skills sure make him worth a shot. He very well could be a year 3-4 guy blossoming guy who makes nice contributions along the way. The kind of guy you hope to get out of 4th and later round picks, and an occasional really good starter.

I'm comparing a player who people wanted to be good. To another that people want to be good lol.

Justifications are what they are. But his college numbers don't predict success just like Mike Harts didn't was my point.

Your missing the point Rogers has the stats, has the skills necessary & the the size necessary to excel, Hart had had Stats & no size or speed but he had HEART! Will Rogers have the heart IDK but, he has god given size  ability.

Your missing the point Rogers has the stats, has the skills necessary & the the size necessary to excel, Hart had had Stats & no size or speed but he had HEART! Will Rogers have the heart IDK but, he has god given size ability.

I'm not missing the point. I get your rationalization I just don't agree lol.

To me the question is, is Rogers a slow learner or a No learner. They are giving him a shot, so...

Polian once said the (his) minimum speed for a WR to get separation was 4.51. Rogers ran 4.5.

Don`t know if that is his best but that would make him marginal as far as speed goes. Wonder where Boldin was at, he does ok. :)

His size and other described skills sure make him worth a shot. He very well could be a year 3-4 guy blossoming guy who makes nice contributions along the way. The kind of guy you hope to get out of 4th and later round picks, and an occasional really good starter.

Was thinking the same thing. From everything I've read. The. The stuff he tweeted about the playbook and stuff he just comes off that is really not to bright. You might be able to get by with that in college with pure talent and athletic ability but not in the NFL. Doesn't mean he can't learn. Just that it may take more.

Did I say that?

Even players who don't ever heavily contribute to a team have abilities. I just don't believe he's going to be a focal point of our offense ever.

That's  different subject. Obviously if he doesn't see the field he will never make an impact. I don't know how good he is or isn't I just see the numbers, would like to see him in pre season next year, or this year if we were to get an injury. Impact? I would like to see him play to make my own judgement. the original point was Hart as you said, people thought he should play, I didn't think he had the measurables to be a starter, I IMO Rogers does have the measurables, doesn't mean anything until you see him. No one said anything about being the focal point of the offense.

That's different subject. Obviously if he doesn't see the field he will never make an impact. I don't know how good he is or isn't I just see the numbers, would like to see him in pre season next year, or this year if we were to get an injury. Impact? I would like to see him play to make my own judgement. the original point was Hart as you said, people thought he should play, I didn't think he had the measurables to be a starter, I IMO Rogers does have the measurables, doesn't mean anything until you see him. No one said anything about being the focal point of the offense.

You do realize your the only one who brought up the skill sets of those two right lol.

I was only comparing the fan reaction to wanting a guy to succeed because fans want everyone to succeed. Same reason I mentioned Hall. People have hopes for players, that many times just don't work out. Like how I feel Rodgers won't work out for us. Same feeling on why people think Griff is going to be our own Wes Welker and I don't. It's not a knock to either of them or their skills, but I don't see either becoming a long term answer.

If you disagree with that stop quoting me lol. I never forced that opinion down others throats I only responded to those that questioned my original post.

he went undrafted and was cut by the bills for some reason

Just guessing ... maturity issues + raw  = a lot of teams not willing to devote time to try to fix both issues.  I doubt we will ever know for sure because I doubt anyone involved will ever give the candid details.  I think Bills have much bigger issues and needs and can't really afford to waste the time and resources it would take to try to develop someone who may never be anything.  Grigson seems to be more willing to gamble on longer term projects.

I just don't buy that he's that good or has that much potential.  If you are Grigs and you see that kind of potential you sign that person and get them on your roster so another team can't sign them away from you.  

He's not done that yet.  

I'd love to see him play like everyone seems to think he can, but I just can't buy that a guy sitting on our practice squad and has been for a while now has that kind of potential.  

He's only spent a week or 2 on the active roster and no one has tried to sign him away from the PS yet.  

I just don't buy that he's that good or has that much potential. If you are Grigs and you see that kind of potential you sign that person and get them on your roster so another team can't sign them away from you.

He's not done that yet.

I'd love to see him play like everyone seems to think he can, but I just can't buy that a guy sitting on our practice squad and has been for a while now has that kind of potential.

He's only spent a week or 2 on the active roster and no one has tried to sign him away from the PS yet.

Watch out. You're going to get scolded for not basking in the collective awe of Rodgers.