Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'Rick Rodgers: A Layman's View

backshoulderfade

I'm just going to have a look at Da'Rick, see what he can bring to the team and what risks and drawbacks might be associated with him.

I suppose the best place to start is measurables. 6'3, 217 lbs. That's what I can ideal size. That's something the Colts have lacked at receiver for a long time. We have had some of the most talented receivers in the history of the game, but I am sure we would all be happy with adding another wrinkle to our offense. I'm happy with that new wrinkle being a 6'3 monster!

He was undoubtedly one of the top performers of this years combine. NFL.com ranked him as a top performer in all but 2 of the events he performed in at the combine. A 4.5 40 yard dash is very good, and more than enough to get it done over the middle. Two things from the combine stand out to me. With a 39.5" vertical leap, he is potentially a monster threat in the red zone. More exciting for me is his performance in the agility drills. 6.71 in the four cone drill? He should be able to make some explosive breaks and cuts both running routes and with the ball in the open field. This is exciting stuff.

When people want a quick snapshot of how good a player is, stats is a good place to look. That's where will go next. 893 yards in the FCS, sure that's not the most impressive stat in the world, but let's not forgetthe prior season. He led the SEC in both receptions and yards. 67 receptions for 1040 yards. That's 15.5 yards per catch. Wow. This kid can produce.

Let's see what the analysts say. NFL.com's draft profile calls him a big, physical receiver who is hard to bring down after the catch. He has good hands and is a physical run blocker. Was this guy born to play in Pep's Colts O or what!

CBS tells us Da'Rick is an "ultra physical reciever" with great size-speed potential. He has the ability to absorb big hits and apparently never dropped a pass due to a hit. What!? Outrageous. They also praise his ability to play outside or in the slot.

Walterfootball, while I dont put too much stock into what they write. They can be interesting all the same. "Tough", "Explosive", "Makes difficult catches", "good route runner", "run after catch ability". This guy could be the real deal.

There is one common theme in all of these profiles. Character concerns. Drugs. Fights. Immaturity. This makes him a big risk. He could cause suspensions or even unsettle other players on the roster. Is he a risk with taking?

An interview from earlier this year tries to address these concerns. I will let you read for yourselves.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/16/darick-rogers-nfl-draft/2089425/

While he comes across as an easy to like young man. But Da'Rick, you have to show us. It's on you.

From watching as many highlight reals and game tapes as YouTube allows me, and reading all the draft profiles and articles I could find I can tell you one thing. Da'Rick Rodgers can be amazing. He can have many 1000+ yards, 10+ touchdown seasons. He can be Colts number one. He can be everything we dreamed he could be.

I can also tell you he has a past checkered by drug use, fights, immaturity, problems with accountability. Signs point to him turning it around. But at the end of the day, none of us no why he was cut from the Bills. Ability? nonsense. Something isn't right there.

He seems like the perfect fit for the Colt's. Physical in the run game. Big reciever who can make all the catches. He can be a safety boa let on 3rd down and be a monster in the red zone. No harm allowing him to mature o. The PS squad for the rest of the season though.

Da'Rick, you have Colts Nation behind you. Through my blue-tinted glasses you could be the best in the NFL. It's on you.

Don't count this member of the Colts nation as behind him. If given the chance and he gets promoted, I will cheer for any play he makes. I just happen to think asking a leopard to change his spots is unrealistic. There is a reason this guy who apparently has all the physical tools in the world has already been cut - twice.

By the way, I think you make a reasonable argument for him but then the best in the nfl line goes way off the tracks.

I know a lot of fans have high expectations for Rogers. From what I have read, he has a lot of potential. However, during his stint with the Buffalo Bills Rogers did little to impress their coaching staff.

Here is a quote from Doug Marone the Bills HC:

...Throughout training camp, he was stuck behind players like Marcus Easley, Chris Hogan, Brad Smith and Brandon Kaufman on the depth chart. In Saturday's preseason game at Washington, Rogers did not get an offensive snap.

"He definitely has skill," Bills coach Doug Marrone said today of Rogers. "Along with DeMarco Sampson, who's played well for us in the preseason, but I think when you look at the production of that group, and who's produced for a long period of time, it's just a matter of, it's just as simple as, we feel that we have better players on the roster right now than the players that we released. That's what I've communicated to them."

Marrone said Rogers' production right now, more so than his potential in the future, factored into the decision. In three preseason games, he finished with just one catch (which went for a 6-yard touchdown against Indianapolis).

"I'm a big believer on the production part of it right now rather than what are we going to get down the road," the coach said. "So I think all those players that were released have the ability to play, but we feel as an organization that we just have better players right now."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/08/doug-marrone-on-release-of-darick-rogers-we-feel-that-we-have-better-players.html

Perhaps during his time on Indy's practice squad Da'Rick has improved? And shown our coaches more to like?

But, since we are not allowed to watch practice, we just dont know.

I personally feel Griff Whalen would be a better option at WR.

Thats through my blue tinted glasses :-) just like Luck is going to get 15 tds and no interceptions in the playoffs!

He would hardly be the first guy to overcome a checkered past to make something of himself. While I wouldnt go as far as saying I expect him to turn it around, but I do hope and believe he can.

Furthermore, as the title says, this is a layman's view on the situation.

Nice post OP. He's saying all the right things in the USA Today article. Yet he didn't impress the Bills enough to make a team that's not exactly overflowing with talent at WR.

Got to wonder what's wrong with him if you eliminate the off field issues?

Roy Hall was a huge bust.

But I like to believe Rogers is head and shoulders above Hall.

I maintain. Same exact thing lol. Just flip some names around in 5 years. It's cyclical.

Everyone thought Hall was great, turns out not so much.

Hard to imagine an rookie undrafted FA who was cut preseason by a Buffalo can be thought of as a suitable replacement to HOF caliber Reggie Wayne. That's a similar pedigree to Griff. I hope for the best - after all stud QBs tend to make receivers shine ( and vise versa).

I maintain. Same exact thing lol. Just flip some names around in 5 years. It's cyclical.

Everyone thought Hall was great, turns out not so much.

Hall was never more than a ST player at OSU. He had measurables but really didn't have the WR talent. He'll mostly be remembered for injuring Ted Ginn in the NC game.

Rogers has shown he can play WR in college. What bothers me is why he couldn't even make the Bills.

Hard to imagine an rookie undrafted FA who was cut preseason by a Buffalo can be thought of as a suitable replacement to HOF caliber Reggie Wayne. That's a similar pedigree to Griff. I hope for the best - after all stud QBs tend to make receivers shine ( and vise versa).

I too am having a hard time imaging that. Not only being cut by Buffalo but , not one of thirty two teams were willing to use a 6th or 7th round pick on a guy with character problems ? Don't forget that with all the compensatory picks that come in those two rounds , pretty close to another whole round of 32. If he's really "viewed" to have all that talent and potential , he should have been drafted.

Hall was never more than a ST player at OSU. He had measurables but really didn't have the WR talent. He'll mostly be remembered for injuring Ted Ginn in the NC game.

Rogers has shown he can play WR in college. What bothers me is why he couldn't even make the Bills.

That's my point though lol. People talked about Hall like he was going to be amazing. He was this man, myth, legend who never panned out.

People do this all the time. They hype up players because they want them to be amazing, but not because there's factual evidence they will be.

Just like Mike Hart.

There's a reason Rodgers is floating around our PS and teams aren't killing themselves to get him. Sometimes players like him work out, but that's typically the exception not the rule.

That's my point though lol. People talked about Hall like he was going to be amazing. He was this man, myth, legend who never panned out.

People do this all the time. They hype up players because they want them to be amazing, but not because there's factual evidence they will be.

Just like Mike Hart.

There's a reason Rodgers is floating around our PS and teams aren't killing themselves to get him. Sometimes players like him work out, but that's typically the exception not the rule.

While I agree with your point, the point of my original post was what could be. I hope no one thinks I am some irrational lunatic!

My guess is that Rodgers is struggling with reading a defense and running good routes. My understanding is that is why Quinton Patton is not playing much in San Francisco and he was a 4th round pick who I was really hoping the Colts would draft.

If Rogers keeps up the work ethic and positive attitude, hopefully he will get a chance. He just needs to show improvement. Wayne's injury will give someone an opportunity. Maybe it's Whalen, maybe it's Rodgers.

My guess is that Rodgers is struggling with reading a defense and running good routes. My understanding is that is why Quinton Patton is not playing much in San Francisco and he was a 4th round pick who I was really hoping the Colts would draft.

If Rogers keeps up the work ethic and positive attitude, hopefully he will get a chance. He just needs to show improvement. Wayne's injury will give someone an opportunity. Maybe it's Whalen, maybe it's Rodgers.

My own take is that the coaching staff want to give him a year on the PS where he can prove he can stay out of trouble, and prove he can work hard. Next preseason will certainly be interesting.

While I agree with your point, the point of my original post was what could be. I hope no one thinks I am some irrational lunatic!

I wasn't knocking you lol.

Every fan wants these players to work out, and I personally don't get my hopes up too high on these fringe players, because more times then not they fade away never to be seen again lol.

I wasn't knocking you lol.

Every fan wants these players to work out, and I personally don't get my hopes up too high on these fringe players, because more times then not they fade away never to be seen again lol.

But you see the difference, Hart and Rogers showed they could do it on the field in college. Hall could only do it in shorts on a track.

There's different levels of delusional expectations, if you will. But I understand your point. It's basically "This guy has never worked out for any team, anywhere. But I believe that when he puts on the horseshoe, magic will happen."

I too am having a hard time imaging that. Not only being cut by Buffalo but , not one of thirty two teams were willing to use a 6th or 7th round pick on a guy with character problems ? Don't forget that with all the compensatory picks that come in those two rounds , pretty close to another whole round of 32. If he's really "viewed" to have all that talent and potential , he should have been drafted.

What about Vontaze Burfict? No one drafted him and he was a stud in his rookie year. I know he's more the exception than the rule, but % happens. The draft isn't a perfect science.

But you see the difference, Hart and Rogers showed they could do it on the field in college. Hall could only do it in shorts on a track.

There's different levels of delusional expectations, if you will. But I understand your point. It's basically "This guy has never worked out for any team, anywhere. But I believe that when he puts on the horseshoe, magic will happen."

Rodgers could do it on the track and the field in college. ;-)

Exactly my point lol.

That's why I brought up Hall. There was no logical reason to think he would work, but people thought he would.

I'm not saying Rodgers won't be able to contribute in some way, but he's not going to be a replacement for Reggie anytime soon haha.

Rogers can't be a bust. He was undrafted and he is on the freakin practice squad. We've nothing to lose and a good receiver to gain by having him

I say the same thing. Rogers is talent all around. So what he does have attitude problems. As long as he can produce on the field and make our team win, we should not care about his character concerns. Have you guys not seen Deon Sanders or Michael Irvin? They are GOAT and they both have crazy personalities.

Exactly my point lol.

That's why I brought up Hall. There was no logical reason to think he would work, but people thought he would.

Not that I disagree with you, but is it just the physical nature of the person that leads you to say that, or the level of competition they faced?

My reason for asking; do you think Danel Adongo is a wasted effort? Is it wrong to think he has the attributes to become a really good player? Personally, I like the way our coaches and team try to coach upbplayers and give him a decent shot at making the 53 next year. I also would like to see what Rogers can do.

But saying that, I agree with the person who made reference to not being able to see what coaches see in daily practice, so I don't second guess that way. He just sounds very intriguing to me.

One would have to look no further then the highlight of him as a Bill after his QB at the time threw a pick and he just watched the Corner run by him instead of making an effort to go after him when he was well within range to have no excuse for it, He is a gifted athlete. I hope he takes advantage of it and dont waste it. I think why they are not rushing him into action because the wr coach is trying to teach him the ins and outs of every wr position and what they expect from him  as the Z Receiver vs X Receiver and even Y Receiver, Could be a huge range of things that have kept him out of action that we dont know about, maybe they placed a rule on him he cant see any action until certain behavioral standards are met then again with the news of Reggie out for the year that could force coaching staff to act fairly quickly (before next game) with him. Who knows, It will play itself out 

What about Vontaze Burfict? No one drafted him and he was a stud in his rookie year. I know he's more the exception than the rule, but % happens. The draft isn't a perfect science.

This is true , but Im just going by what happens most often. But that said , your example is a bit flawed. Both guys had character issues ( Rogers more serious) and both had good production in college. The big difference was that Rogers had a great combine where as Burfict had a truly miserable one. I believe he really turned off most teams with this performance. aYou would think he would at least train hard as he needed a good combine...

Needless to say, his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine was critical, as the once surefire first round pick was now staring at a third or fourth round grade on many boards. On Sunday, he gave an interview to the media that bordered on delusional, showing that mentally, he still has a long way to go.

On Monday, the linebacker group took to the turf for the Combine events. Here's how Burfict made out in Indianapolis.

Size: After playing last season noticeably out of shape at 260 pounds, Burfict weighed in at a slimmer 248 and measured 6'1". That is a great size for a middle linebacker, but his commitment to conditioning to maintain those numbers will remain a serious question.

40-Yard Dash: This was a complete disaster. Burfict ran a plodding 5.09 official time, which made him the slowest linebacker by over one-tenth of a second. Even trimmed down at 248 pounds, the explosiveness that highlighted his first two seasons was no where to be found.

Bench Press: There had been rumors that Burfict's strength had also fallen off dramatically, and after he elected to skip the bench press at the Combine, those rumors only gained strength. He will need a very impressive showing over the next two months to silence his mounting critics.

Vertical Leap: Burfict did very poorly, posting just a 30-inch leap, which was tied for the second lowest height among linebackers, besting only USC's Chris Galippo.

Broad Jump: In a test of lower body explosiveness, Burfict failed again. His jump of 104 inches ranked 30th among the 30 participating linebackers.

20-Yard Shuttle: After his disastrous start, he did not run in the 20-yard shuttle...

60-Yard Shuttle: ...nor the 60-yard shuttle...

3-Cone Drill: ...nor the 3-cone drill.

Overall Analysis: Burfict's Combine workouts could best be summed up in one word: "ugh". From his awful and delusional interview with the media, to his workouts in which his name appeared at or near the bottom of the linebacker list, Burfict dug his already deep hole even deeper. From consensus All-American to utter trainwreck in six months, the next several weeks should be full-on damage control for Burfict and his representation. He needs to wow teams at ASU's March 16th Pro Day and continue gaining momentum if he wants any chance to be taken before Round 5 in the draft.