Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

you know what's sad to me

danlhart87

Luck's not gonna suck, but Wayne is that security blanket, dependable target to get you out of those crucial 3rd & long situations... He's also the kind of guy to rally the team when the going gets tough...

His leadership & skills will be missed, but also if their is a silver lining in him being out, it is that now guys like DHB, Brazil, & TY can really step up for Reggie, to help Luck, & to carry the team on while the Colts deal with the injury bug...

whats sad to me is that several people don't give credit to the Colts for beating the Broncos. They say that The Broncos and the Refs lost the game more than the Colts won it or that it was won on pure emotion.  The Colts have beat the top 3 teams in the NFL yet don't seam to get the credit they deserve, it's just frustrating to me!

Luck will make adjustments! Everybody thought losing Allen would be horrible and Fleener has played well!

Allen does not equal Reggie Wayne.  Also the guy replacing Allen isn't Fleener, Fleener is doing Fleener's job it would be Jones or one of the other tightends you never hear from replacing Allen.  I also think we have noticed Allen missing namely in the red zone. 

Yes the Colts will adjust and Luck will play well I am sure but let's not kid ourselves losing a future Hall of Fame WR is going to have an impact.  Is it going to cause Andrew Luck to turn into Curtis Painter?  No.  Will he probably struggle a little more than we have grown used to him doing?  Probably yes. 

Losing #87 is good reason to be down.  No one thinks Luck is going to start looking like Blaine Gabbert, but his job just got a lot tougher.  Can Brazil, TY, Fleener, DHB. And (?) pick up the slack?  Possibly but whoever it is, "they ain't gonna be no Reggie...."  

Scary thing is we are not even half way through the season yet, what if another WR goes down????  ......gasp.......

Nobody said Luck is going to suck, but hes a 2nd year QB without a sure handed veteran reciever now. Without Wayne, the Colts wide recievers are kind of a joke (Fleener is a TE). DHB and Brazill both have drop problems, and Heyward-Bey in particular has problems creating seperation.

Hilton is best in mismatches and is a slot reciever. Period. I dont know why some people refuse to see that.

Also all of those guys are speedsters, theres nobody left to be the route running sly wideout, making the passing game entirely one dimentional.

Luck will be fine, but he needs someone to throw the ball to that can be counted on. If that guy is on the Colts roster, he hasnt shown himself yet.

Reggie is awesome and people rightfully realize that compensating for his absence........will be........very difficult.  There are not any guys not currently signed that are like reggie

I don't think anyone is acting like Luck sucks..........but the loss of Reggie can reasonably be assumed to affect Andrews effectiveness

Just reality I think

I said this to my daughter yesterday and she absolutely flipped out.  I just feel like I'm acknowledging reality..........she feels like I'm being a bad fan

Individual differences I guess

Hilton and Brazill are the future #1 and #2 on this team. Just watch!

Hilton maybe in a year or two. Brazill I question. Deeply. Either way neither is the answer now and the position is thin and one dimentional. To deny the need to make a move at WR with the loss of Reggie is blind homerism and a denial of reality.

Reggie is awesome and people rightfully realize that compensating for his absence........will be........very difficult.  There are not any guys not currently signed that are like reggie

I don't think anyone is acting like Luck sucks..........but the loss of Reggie can reasonably be assumed to affect Andrews effectiveness

Just reality I think

I said this to my daughter yesterday and she absolutely flipped out.  I just feel like I'm acknowledging reality..........she feels like I'm being a bad fan

Individual differences I guess

Being realistic.  I've always thought Reggie is one of the more underrated players across the league largely because he hasn't missed a game since this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

That's the last time Reggie Wayne missed a game.  So I think people have taken him for granted a little bit.  He's also always been in Marvin or Peyton's shadow a bit. 

No question in my mind not having him will have an impact.  If it didn't the Colts wouldn't have made sure he was the free agent (along with Mathis) they kept in the year they were letting everyone else go. 

Luck and Reggie are the two guys on the roster that can't be replaced with current depth. I have no doubt luck will make due, but to think losing reggie is a next man up scenario is false imo

I think you can add Mathis to that list too.  If we thought our pass rush was lacking at times with him just think about what it would be like without him.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Reggie was the go-to-guy.  Who will emerge as that player now?  I can't see any in this crop being that player.   Someone will have to rapidly mature and develop.

T.Y. is a few steps away from being the guy.  His and Luck's rapport has improved dramatically this season from last.  And now T.Y. will be on the field more.

Honestly, I love TY and Fleener, but sitting here on Tuesday with no Reggie Wayne, the guy I'm most glad Luck has as a target is... wait for it... Stanley Havili.

We're going to have to spread it around more, and having a guy like that providing a reliable outlet from the backfield is going to help out a lot.  That was a great trade for us.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Honestly, I love TY and Fleener, but sitting here on Tuesday with no Reggie Wayne, the guy I'm most glad Luck has as a target is... wait for it... Stanley Havili.

We're going to have to spread it around more, and having a guy like that providing a reliable outlet from the backfield is going to help out a lot.  That was a great trade for us.

Best case scenario is Havili evolves into Vonta Leach in his prime...what a weapon he would be.

Hes got insane potential! I am one of the few people who sees him as the future #1.

No you arent. Everyone here sees him as a future number 1. Emphasis on future. As of right now, hes a slot reciever who still needs a bit of work to reach his potential.

Indy needs either a bruising over the middle WR, or a sharp route runner to complement thwir current corp. That person is not on the roster.

No you arent. Everyone here sees him as a future number 1. Emphasis on future. As of right now, hes a slot reciever who still needs a bit of work to reach his potential.

Indy needs either a bruising over the middle WR, or a sharp route runner to complement thwir current corp. That person is not on the roster.

Brazill has the potential to be up there too. He can compete for that top spot too.

Brazill has the potential to be up there too. He can compete for that top spot too.

He really doesnt. He doesnt have the hands or route running ability to properly complement TY. If TY really is the #1 in your eyes, then DHB is the #2 because his size is the better complement.

You arent thinking in terms of depth or variation in style, and with Wayne gone the wide recieving corp has issues in both areas. Even if the guys currently on the roster are the starters, somebody has to be brought in to add depth and variation to the recievers.

He really doesnt. He doesnt have the hands or route running ability to properly complement TY. If TY really is the #1 in your eyes, then DHB is the #2 because his size is the better complement.

You arent thinking in terms of depth or variation in style, and with Wayne gone the wide recieving corp has issues in both areas. Even if the guys currently on the roster are the starters, somebody has to be brought in to add depth and variation to the recievers.

DHB is fast! That's about it! Hope Grigson doesnt bring him back!

DHB is fast! That's about it! Hope Grigson doesnt bring him back!

Hes also big, which is a necessity in the power run first scheme Pep runs. If DHB isnt back next year, than Indy will need another big body to replace him.

The Colts need a new wide reciever for this year, or next. Either way the discussion is happening now as its become one of the most glaring issues the offense faces.