Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: "Richardson Working Hard for Minimal Gains"

Le Neon

Richardson Working Hard for Minimal Gains

Once again Trent Richardson fell short in terms of base stats in this game and  some will be looking for reasons to justify the Colts’ decision to trade for him — though he did, at least for the box-score watchers, net a 4.0 yard per carry average for the first time in Colts’ blue. What those base stats don’t show is the hard work Richardson had to do in order to engineer those minimal gains, making cuts in backfield and picking up the majority of his yards after contact for the third straight week. Richardson tied a season high with 2.8 yards per carry after first contact and forced two missed tackles as a runner. With a little more help up front, displays like that might lead to him gaining more yards off the back of his effort.

Source:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/15/refo-colts-chargers-week-6/

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying it's Richardson's fault, but why are Bradshaw and Brown getting big runs?

Because D's keep stacking the box against T-Rich. Mostly because of the FB we use. When we go 3 WR set and hand off to Richardson, he usually does pretty well. 

I don't understand how our coaching staff doesn't seen to understand this. 

Because D's keep stacking the box against T-Rich. Mostly because of the FB we use. When we go 3 WR set and hand off to Richardson, he usually does pretty well. 

I can't picture out the previous games with Bradshaw, but did the 9'ers stack the box against him? He had major gains in each game he was healthy in. What are we doing wrong with Richardson?

I can't picture out the previous games with Bradshaw, but did the 9'ers stack the box against him? He had major gains in each game he was healthy in. What are we doing wrong with Richardson?

I cant figure that either Rob....

It does seem that the T Rich runs are obvious...where A. Bradshaw's calls were more deceptive.

But Bradshaw is (or was) quicker and shiftier..

I;m worried that...like Brown...Richardson is what he is..not what he was in college

Donald Brown's averaging 7.8 ypc this season. Although it's a small sample size, he's actually better than he was in college, and he's splitting carries.

As far as Richardson goes, give it time. Our O-Line has to learn how to block for his running style, and he still hasn't fully grasped the playbook yet. He'll be busting out 20 yard gains come November when it really starts to count.

I like this tandem right now, and it's only going to get better.

FWIW, we seemed to run more traps and counters with Bradshaw and Brown.

Would've been nice to see more production against Jacksonville, but it was his first start.  Seattle is a tough defense.  Chris Johnson had 2.8 ypc, MJD got 2.3 ypc on 20 attempts, Frank Gore had 1.8 just speaking of RBs we know.  

He looked promising against San Diego, we just didn't have the ball long enough to see much.  

I'm still drinking the kool-aid on this one.  We're just waiting on a true breakout game.

Not saying it's Richardson's fault, but why are Bradshaw and Brown getting big runs?

I can't figure it out either. When Donald Brown gets in, the line blocks like they're the 49ers offensive line. But when Trent Richardson is in, it's 1-2 guys in the backfield before he even gets going. Makes no sense to me

I cant figure that either Rob....

It does seem that the T Rich runs are obvious...where A. Bradshaw's calls were more deceptive.

But Bradshaw is (or was) quicker and shiftier..

I;m worried that...like Brown...Richardson is what he is..not what he was in college

We ran 3 wide sets with Bradshaw running. When Trent Richardson comes in, a FB and sometimes another lineman comes in. Defenses aren't that stupid not to see a run coming outta that formation

Donald Brown's averaging 7.8 ypc this season. Although it's a small sample size, he's actually better than he was in college, and he's splitting carries.

As far as Richardson goes, give it time. Our O-Line has to learn how to block for his running style, and he still hasn't fully grasped the playbook yet. He'll be busting out 20 yard gains come November when it really starts to count.

I like this tandem right now, and it's only going to get better.

I agree.

It only took brown what.......five YEARS to get to this point. I think T-rich deserves at least five games to see what happens

The 49ers were stacking against Bradshaw. I think the mindset has just become if we aren't running well it's the lines fault, and only the lines. Sometimes it's the back. Not saying it's Trent, but a lot of Cleveland fans were happy he was gone. And mostly all of them told me the same thing, he is great in screens however pretty much useless anywhere else.

The 49ers were stacking against Bradshaw. I think the mindset has just become if we aren't running well it's the lines fault, and only the lines. Sometimes it's the back. Not saying it's Trent, but a lot of Cleveland fans were happy he was gone. And mostly all of them told me the same thing, he is great in screens however pretty much useless anywhere else.

I thought he looked great given the situations they put him in...If you can't see his talent I don't know what to tell you...I guess Indiana is still a basketball state, many fans on here just don't get it or they are dinosaurs who love the fact we run a 1950's style offense....

^This is the argument fans of Donald scoffed at for 5 years.

Man, you guys sound just like the Browns fans. No offense, but we made the same excuses. 

If I'm the Colts, I try to use him like Darren Sproles. It's obvious when he gets into the open he's tough to tackle, the problem is, he just doesn't have good instincts as a running back. He doesn't create his own space at the running back position. He is constantly jump stepping, skipping and dancing around the holes. 

His best "runs" as a Brown, were dump offs out of the backfield. 

I'm not the biggest fan of the Richardson trade but it is hard to gain yards when you are runnig against a wall. And guys like Satele or McGlynn (who played better as center) aren't helping. That why I hope we draft a good Guard like Cyril Richardson even if another guard isn't a sexy choice. We simply have no depth and if a guy like Donald Thomas goes down we are ending again with the McGlynns or Satele. The Offensive Line is just to inconsistent and play calling is way to obvious if you ask me.

I think it's plain stubborness.  This 'body blow' philosophy is fine - when you're doing it at the end of the game.  Their D is usually tired and that's a great way to make them give up.

That first drive last night was exactly what we should be doing.  Up tempo, quick passes, and running when they don't expect it.

I thought he was tough as nails last night, but I knew people on here would try and blame him for dropping the pass....It's so predictable, he is a stud when he has a chance...

When has he ever had a "stud" performance. Just name one in his year and a half in the league. The more you talk the more people realize you have no idea what you're talking about. 

donald brown misses a block this year and most posters are saying he is a terrible blocker. richardson blows a blocking assignment and not a word. if brown dropped a pass they would be saying he is a bad receiver, but not a peep after richardson drops a pass. excuse after excuse for the bad ypc stats. just because you were a top college player doesn't mean you are going to be a top nfl player. forget what players did in college, it doesn't matter. what they have done against nfl players is the only thin that matters. the colts had a entire year of nfl tapes to judge him and still gave up a #1 for him.

i didn't like the trade from the beginning, but i really do hope i am wrong.

Not a run, but I though this was an awesome play.

trich-catch.gif

I watched that play and thought it looked almost identical to the play (I believe it was in the 3rd) where Marshawn Lynch basically did the same thing.  Had (I believe) Davis on his ankle clinging for dear life, he broke it, made a few moves downfield and got a first down.

The more I watch him, the more I think he's getting comfortable.  Gruden said it best, when he said that Richardson is still thinking out there and not reacting yet.  He's still making reads a bit slow because of the new offense.  It'll come with time.  And if I've said it once, I've said it a million times, people who diss this guy because he's jsut "running into the pile" (a) aren't watching the games and (b) don't understand how much goes into learning a playbook and applying what's on paper into real time execution on the field.  There's a huge difference between seeing a hole to run through and reading whether or not it will close up before you get there.  And reads that take you a split second too long to read are the difference between a 2 yard loss and a 5 yard gain.  It takes some players an entire year with a team to learn the ins and outs of a playbook.  With rookies and young guys, it takes even longer.  And we're expecting a 2nd year guy to switch teams mid-season and play as if he's been with us for 21 games?  If that's what we expect as a fanbase, WE ARE GARBAGE. 

Want to know how much goes into each position, pick up a book by Pat Kirwan called "Take Your Eye Off the Ball."  Great read. 

:rantoff:

There, I'm done.  Now, on to the positive.  The more I watch him, the more I like him.  He does seem to be picking up the offense.  He ripped off a few good runs, ran with decisiveness, and made a few good plays.  Here's to hoping he keeps progressing and strings a fewf more of those together as each game goes along.  Oh, and you can't drop the football like that.  C'mon Man!!

Man, you guys sound just like the Browns fans. No offense, but we made the same excuses. 

If I'm the Colts, I try to use him like Darren Sproles. It's obvious when he gets into the open he's tough to tackle, the problem is, he just doesn't have good instincts as a running back. He doesn't create his own space at the running back position. He is constantly jump stepping, skipping and dancing around the holes. 

His best "runs" as a Brown, were dump offs out of the backfield. 

When has he ever had a "stud" performance. Just name one in his year and a half in the league. The more you talk the more people realize you have no idea what you're talking about. 

great points!! 

donald brown misses a block this year and most posters are saying he is a terrible blocker. richardson blows a blocking assignment and not a word. if brown dropped a pass they would be saying he is a bad receiver, but not a peep after richardson drops a pass. excuse after excuse for the bad ypc stats. just because you were a top college player doesn't mean you are going to be a top nfl player. forget what players did in college, it doesn't matter. what they have done against nfl players is the only thin that matters. the colts had a entire year of nfl tapes to judge him and still gave up a #1 for him.

i didn't like the trade from the beginning, but i really do hope i am wrong.

This was an epidemic on the Browns boards. People even going as far to tell me that I just don't like Alabama and that's why I'm rooting against him. People blamed the Offensive coordinator, people blamed the head coach, the offensive line, the quarterback (justified) but would NEVER admit Richardson just wasn't playing well. haha, just silliness. 

Once he was traded all of the objective posts I made suddenly made sense to everyone. So you're probably spinning your wheels here.

This guy above me calling the fan base garbage. lmao sounds just like a Browns fan. They're garbage for recognizing a guy in his second year, just isn't and hasn't been very good. Then going on to talk about "win something". Sweet, objective football posting. 

Win something and then we can talk.  Otherwise, it falls on deaf ears.

Trolled by Browns fans.  We really have hit rock bottom at 4-2.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201209160cin.htm

150 total yards and two touchdowns.  Though I don't blame you for not watching Browns games, they depress me and I'm not even a fan.

The more I watch him, the more I think he's getting comfortable.  Gruden said it best, when he said that Richardson is still thinking out there and not reacting yet.  He's still making reads a bit slow because of the new offense.  It'll come with time.  And if I've said it once, I've said it a million times, people who diss this guy because he's jsut "running into the pile" (a) aren't watching the games and (b) don't understand how much goes into learning a playbook and applying what's on paper into real time execution on the field.  There's a huge difference between seeing a hole to run through and reading whether or not it will close up before you get there.  And reads that take you a split second too long to read are the difference between a 2 yard loss and a 5 yard gain.  It takes some players an entire year with a team to learn the ins and outs of a playbook.  With rookies and young guys, it takes even longer.  . 

you are right about having to make a decision in a split second, but that isn't learned. you ether have it or you don't, and it's the same in every fast paced sport. players that don't have it are the ones people keep making excuses for. a lot of college players look great because they (or their teams) have so much more talent then their opponents. that's why so many mistakes are made in drafting players. you never really know until they are playing against players at the next level. richardson does have a year plus body of work, and it's not great.

This was an epidemic on the Browns boards. People even going as far to tell me that I just don't like Alabama and that's why I'm rooting against him. People blamed the Offensive coordinator, people blamed the head coach, the offensive line, the quarterback (justified) but would NEVER admit Richardson just wasn't playing well. haha, just silliness. 

Once he was traded all of the objective posts I made suddenly made sense to everyone. So you're probably spinning your wheels here.

This guy above me calling the fan base garbage. lmao sounds just like a Browns fan. They're garbage for recognizing a guy in his second year, just isn't and hasn't been very good. Then going on to talk about "win something". Sweet, objective football posting. 

Calling your own posts objective is not objective at all.  So forgive me if I don't find your "objectiveness" to be suspect.  You can keep posting the same garbage day in and day out about how we're like browns fans, blah blah blah.  I don't care.  The last thing I'm ever going to take seriously is a Browns fans' opinion on how good their talent, especially when he calls his own posts objective.

you are right about having to make a decision in a split second, but that isn't learned. you ether have it or you don't, and it's the same in every fast paced sport. players that don't have it are the ones people keep making excuses for. a lot of college players look great because they (or their teams) have so much more talent then their opponents. that's why so many mistakes are made in drafting players. you never really know until they are playing against players at the next level. richardson does have a year plus body of work, and it's not great.

Well of course, but just because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can take him straight out of an automatic and expect him to be able to drive a manual shift.  It takes time to learn these things.  So while your steering and decision making may be just fine, your steering and decision making slows down while you're learning to shift the gears without having to think about it.  Same thing here.  If, by next year, he's still making the same slow reads, then yeah, different story.  But after 4 games.  It's too soon. 

And yeah, sure you can say he didn't do it very well last year, but he was a freakin rookie for god's sake.  Not every RB in the league is going to be like Adrian Peterson and come in his first year and decimate everyone.

I thought he looked great given the situations they put him in...If you can't see his talent I don't know what to tell you...I guess Indiana is still a basketball state, many fans on here just don't get it or they are dinosaurs who love the fact we run a 1950's style offense....

I see his talent, and they are screen plays. He is great in the open field. Yet he cannot get himself into the open field during running plays. He doesn't have the instinct like most are saying.

Plus I'm from Pennsylvania, and basketball is last on my list of sports.

Trolled by Browns fans.  We really have hit rock bottom at 4-2.

150 total yards and two touchdowns.  Though I don't blame you for not watching Browns games, they depress me and I'm not even a fan.

LOL what? 150 yards from Scrimmage one time in 22 games is considered studly these days? hahaha keep setting your standards that low. Lesean McCoy has 3 150 + yard games already THIS YEAR. 

But your right. T-rich is a "stud" with one in 22 games

109 yards 19 carries 1 td, 4 catches 36 yards 1 td. this is what you consider a "stud" performance???? i guess a successful year for the colts would be 8-8 for you.

Calling your own posts objective is not objective at all.  So forgive me if I don't find your "objectiveness" to be suspect.  You can keep posting the same garbage day in and day out about how we're like browns fans, blah blah blah.  I don't care.  The last thing I'm ever going to take seriously is a Browns fans' opinion on how good their talent, especially when he calls his own posts objective.

You know how I can tell you're not very bright? The fact that since you know I'm a Browns fan you automatically assume I haven't been a football player. LOL @ you. Probably never played a day in your life.

Here is objective.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/21441-my-take-on-t-rich/page-2#entry589831

Lol this guy wants Richardson to do so bad it's not even funny.  Gotta "win" the trade.  But don't worry Colts fans, he's "objective!"

Where did I ever say I wanted him to do bad? He is bad, you're just not smart enough to know the difference. 

LOL what? 150 yards from Scrimmage one time in 22 games is considered studly these days? hahaha keep setting your standards that low. Lesean McCoy has 3 150 + yard games already THIS YEAR.

But your right. T-rich is a "stud" with one in 22 games

^Didn't like drafting Trent.

Needs to keep reminding everyone why he was right, even when Trent leaves his team.