Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Chargers legit team? AFC West best division in football?

amfootball

Last nights game was stunning. Did not expect SD to hold Colts to 9 points. This begs the question if the Chargers are a legit threat in the AFC for a wild card? When they play well it is hard not to like them but not sure if I trust Rivers.  At this point the AFC West looks like the NFC West from last year only better with two undefeated teams at the top and a quality third team and even the Raiders who are not a total mess this year.

The Chargers are good but I don't think they will compete for a wild card. Either KC or Denver will win the division and the other will get a wild card.

Hey Quiz - Was thinking about you last night and how you already have your chance to gloat. But I know you are above that. ;)

Hard to say how good the Chargers are, but when there are only 2 undefeated teams left and they are both in the same division, there is a good chance is the best division in the NFL.

I actually think the time of day and travel might have hurt the Colts a bit.  I've read that teams that travel cross country to play night games don't often do well.  

Anyways we are hardly the first team to be asked to do that, but it could explain why our receivers had so many issues dropping the ball. 

If the Chargers played like they did last night every night yes!

Truth be told, however they are one of the most inconsistent and unpredictable teams in the league.  Will they be who we saw early with Rivers looking totally out of sync, or will it be the Rivers who lit our collective 'butts' up?

Keenan Allen will have some rookie games.  The Charger running game is usually not stout.  A healthy Gates rarely happens for a full season.  LBs are out...line is hurt (even though they manhandled us)

Denver and KC so far are the class of the AFC....but injuries happen too to even the best (see number 18)  :)

We are 30 seconds of game time away from being 5-1.  If we pulled down the potential interception at the end of the Titans game, it would have sealed the win.  The last second loss to Houston, the same.  We didn't finish those games.  We didn't do enough to win and great teams do.  We're getting better each game and finishing our games.

As to Rivers, he never needed "fixing," as so many people thought.  Rivers' only issue the past 2 years has been no protection from his front line (remember Peyton going through that?)  He tried to hard to be the hero as too often he's had to carry the entire team to victory on his own shoulders.  We he tries too hard he made some poor choices.  Basically, he had no time to throw in an offense that was based on long ball - a recipe for trouble.  This year he's getting time and needing less of it because the offense is full of quick, shorter passes and medium length passes, with the occasional long throw to keep the threat.  It used to tick us off royally when we had a 3rd and 2 and Norv would go for the bomb... why?!  Get the two and just keep the threat going... SMH 

I don't expect us to reach the playoffs this year.  We have some good players but we're really thin in crucial places.  The front line already has been decimated, the only person that has played every game is Hardwick at center and he's played injured.  Clary played a game with a damaged clavicle without telling anyone because there wasn't anyone else left to come in. 

Our secondary is too porous, we don't have shut down corners (Peyton is going to pick us apart).  Our draft was excellent though and the rookies are performing really well.  With Freeney going down and Melvin Ingraham probably out for the year and last week losing Jarret we don't have power pass rushers.  We may over perform, but we don't have the pieces to make a run yet. 

It really depends on how division play goes.  Broncos shouldn't lose but 1 division game really, and it's a toss up between whether it's the Cheifs or Chargers.  I can't tell if the Chiefs are legit yet, as they haven't played any serious competition yet, but the bottom line is, they are 6-0 - a good head start.  But if Chargers are legit, they should be able to split with both the Broncos and Chiefs and beat the Raiders at home.  That will put them 6-5.  To make the playoffs, they'd have to win at least 4 of the 5 games against JAX, WAS, MIA, CIN, and NYG.  Doable, but tough.  Lose 2 against either of the Broncos or Chiefs, and you've got an uphill battle.

Hard to say how good the Chargers are, but when there are only 2 undefeated teams left and they are both in the same division, there is a good chance is the best division in the NFL.

I actually think the time of day and travel might have hurt the Colts a bit.  I've read that teams that travel cross country to play night games don't often do well.  

Anyways we are hardly the first team to be asked to do that, but it could explain why our receivers had so many issues dropping the ball. 

heard that about west coast teams going east still & we beat top  nfc west reams one there and one at indy so balances out & we had easier game at san fran  than one in indy

also supposed to hurt more near seasons end when teams already worn down

Rivers & WR Allen now getting a rthym and could be dangerous , but u never know what Charger team shows up , a great one or careless one

as the team gets more familiar with new HC & OC can do better as more is implimated

We are 30 seconds of game time away from being 5-1.  If we pulled down the potential interception at the end of the Titans game, it would have sealed the win.  The last second loss to Houston, the same.  We didn't finish those games.  We didn't do enough to win and great teams do.  We're getting better each game and finishing our games.

As to Rivers, he never needed "fixing," as so many people thought.  Rivers' only issue the past 2 years has been no protection from his front line (remember Peyton going through that?)  He tried to hard to be the hero as too often he's had to carry the entire team to victory on his own shoulders.  We he tries too hard he made some poor choices.  Basically, he had no time to throw in an offense that was based on long ball - a recipe for trouble.  This year he's getting time and needing less of it because the offense is full of quick, shorter passes and medium length passes, with the occasional long throw to keep the threat.  It used to tick us off royally when we had a 3rd and 2 and Norv would go for the bomb... why?!  Get the two and just keep the threat going... SMH 

I don't expect us to reach the playoffs this year.  We have some good players but we're really thin in crucial places.  The front line already has been decimated, the only person that has played every game is Hardwick at center and he's played injured.  Clary played a game with a damaged clavicle without telling anyone because there wasn't anyone else left to come in. 

Our secondary is too porous, we don't have shut down corners (Peyton is going to pick us apart).  Our draft was excellent though and the rookies are performing really well.  With Freeney going down and Melvin Ingraham probably out for the year and last week losing Jarret we don't have power pass rushers.  We may over perform, but we don't have the pieces to make a run yet. 

Yet u can pick Denver apart as they are 32 Vs the pass but up there Vs the run

its tough to gloat when your team is 2-4

It is...especially with qb issues. I will say...Houston is the most dangerous 2-4 team out there...they will give us every bit and more than we will want going up against them and that defense. If they take care of the ball...easily still a playoff team.

lol they controlled the entire game and we acted like valiums were passed out in warm ups and until the end of the game we were usually within reach.......

They got little to no shot unless a miracle happens. The Broncos are the chosen ones and the Chiefs are a cute underdog rise from the ashes story with everyone's favorite Andy Reid!

I guess you never know. I mean if the Broncos or Chiefs lose some they could jump in. But, the league might not let it happen!

Besides, SD falls on their faces every other week. We usually just do it every 3 to 4 weeks when favored.

True but 4-3 is staring you right in the face with Peyton coming to town.

Question for you - why won't your OC let Luck throw the ball? I don't get it. Best player on the field and he keeps handing it off.

You never do know, we show up at times when underdogs. See at SF and vs. Seattle and last year vs. GB.

But, they might screw us hard. :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Truth is AM, even if we lose this weekend I think we have a good shot at winning the South. Our division can't get off their own butts to put together anything consistent and the defensive heavy teams with good run games and mediocre QBs are not as hard for us to beat.

You never do know, we show up at times when underdogs. See at SF and vs. Seattle and last year vs. GB.

But, they might screw us hard. :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Truth is AM, even if we lose this weekend I think we have a good shot at winning the South. Our division can't get off their own butts to put together anything consistent and the defensive heavy teams with good run games and mediocre QBs are not as hard for us to beat.

I think you are the favs to win the south for sure but TN will be there all season I think. Not sure yet about Houston. Things seem to be unraveling there and not sure why.

Any answer? Don't make me have to go over to the Colts section. It is brutal over there after a loss. ;)

Is it that they don't want Luck to throw picks or get hurt? I can't figure it out.

its obvious they want to be a power running team. I dont think that is using our best players to our advantage. Hopefully they re evaluate during this week

I think you are the favs to win the south for sure but TN will be there all season I think. Not sure yet about Houston. Things seem to be unraveling there and not sure why.

I don't think anyone knows why.  It's about as curious as NYG being 0-6.  It was like they woke up on the wrong side of the bed for the entire football season so far.  Nothing dramatically changed with any of those franchises.  They all kept their key components for the most part.  God only knows.

its obvious they want to be a power running team. I dont think that is using our best players to our advantage. Hopefully they re evaluate during this week

Well, it has been working to a large extent as in the context of the offensive philosophy throughout the entire game.  And we would be 5-1 if we'd just catch the darn football.  But even at 4-2, I'm not saying i'ts the BEST use of our playmakers, but it certainly hasn't been awful.

Well, it has been working to a large extent as in the context of the offensive philosophy throughout the entire game. And we would be 5-1 if we'd just catch the darn football. But even at 4-2, I'm not saying i'ts the BEST use of our playmakers, but it certainly hasn't been awful.

i agree. i just think next week we may need to score in bunches and take advantage of a less than stellar secondary of Denver..

I predicted SD might be good enough to get a wild card before the season started. Gonna stick with it.

And yes, outside Oakland it's the toughest division in football this season. It's hard to argue against a division that is, collectively, 17-7.

Even Oakland, though they are still below average, isn't the door mat it used to be.

i agree. i just think next week we may need to score in bunches and take advantage of a less than stellar secondary of Denver..

Yeah, if we try the 22 personnel without success early in the game, and fall behind, we're going to have a difficult time keeping pace.  Not because we are bad, but because Manning is just that good.

less than stellar, they are ranked 32 , cant get worse

I actually think this is an overblown statistic.  Yeah they give up a ton of yards, but it's because they are always in prevent defense.  When you're blowing teams out and playing prevent for half the game, you're going to give up a ton of yards.  I don't know the statistic, but I'd guarantee you that the better majority of points is scored on the Broncos in the second half.

less than stellar, they are ranked 32 , cant get worse

6-0 in spite of sieve for a pass D shows just how good the offense and special teams are. Both are the best in football.

Von Miller comes back this week, so the pass D should go from 32 to...well, better than 32 I would think. He can't make it any worse that's for sure.

heard that about west coast teams going east still & we beat top  nfc west reams one there and one at indy so balances out & we had easier game at san fran  than one in indy

also supposed to hurt more near seasons end when teams already worn down

Rivers & WR Allen now getting a rthym and could be dangerous , but u never know what Charger team shows up , a great one or careless one

as the team gets more familiar with new HC & OC can do better as more is implimated

The game against San Fran was easier because we where still playing at the same time we usually do.

I'm not a fan of prime time games because I like to be in bed by 10, typically if I can get my baby to sleep these days I like to be in bed before that even.

So I miss out on a couple hours sleep by staying up to watch the game.  And if the baby has a bad night (fortunately he had a good night last night.) then I miss even more sleep.

6-0 in spite of sieve for a pass D shows just how good the offense and special teams are. Both are the best in football.

Von Miller comes back this week, so the pass D should go from 32 to...well, better than 32 I would think. He can't make it any worse that's for sure.

1 comentr , then at this time daily have priorities

Bailey Rusty 1st game back should improve, Miller will be rusty too, how effective this game we will see  if can rush & pressure will improve the coverage aas must throw faster ,

Denver has got worse at pass d steadily, last weak  starter MIKE Woodward out & DE Ayers out if both back will also help Denver

also Franklin out at RT can be an entry for Mathis , Denver no idea if  ex Colt Winston Justice knows signal yet or not saying ,has never practiced with the ones and signed after Clady out unlike clark who practiced from day 1 with starters as Clady rehabbed, pending faith in Justice that he knows audibles , that are hand signals in hostile loud colt hoime, they may stat Vasquez as RT IF Kuper can play at OG, he hobbled off in pain after last and only game since second surgery the web site or denver post reported

M<any variables exist

now must go my friend 

The game against San Fran was easier because we where still playing at the same time we usually do.

I'm not a fan of prime time games because I like to be in bed by 10, typically if I can get my baby to sleep these days I like to be in bed before that even.

So I miss out on a couple hours sleep by staying up to watch the game.  And if the baby has a bad night (fortunately he had a good night last night.) then I miss even more sleep.

Me to staying up with meds  I am on makes me woozy all next day from poor sleep now matter how long stay in bed next AM

Me to staying up with meds  I am on makes me woozy all next day from poor sleep now matter how long stay in bed next AM

Ahh for me, it's basically I have a baby and I have to be at work at 8 am.  So that usually means getting up at 6 at the latest to both get myself ready and take care of the baby.  

PS can u imagine if they actually picked 1st & 2nd rounders that were able tom contribute this year, Ball just fumbles or drops passes, 

sly williams is usually a game day healthy scratch, played last week as ayers out and left with huirt neck, has 1 tackle this year i read 

Ahh for me, it's basically I have a baby and I have to be at work at 8 am.  So that usually means getting up at 6 at the latest to both get myself ready and take care of the baby.  

somehow i always get up at 430 to 5 am, no matter what and need 3 cups off instant coffe wioth ice that i down so as to stabilize my body so can function without falling down (( still fall 10-15 times during day , but without coffee to start cant function at all, meds just to strong )))

We are 30 seconds of game time away from being 5-1.  If we pulled down the potential interception at the end of the Titans game, it would have sealed the win.  The last second loss to Houston, the same.  We didn't finish those games.  We didn't do enough to win and great teams do.  We're getting better each game and finishing our games...

Hey there, good to see ya! Hope all is good.  ;)

As for the WC chase...

It will be difficult for SD, because of their in-division games, and the tie-breaker system, but not impossible.

Denver and KC are making it a two-team race for the division even though there's a lot of football left to play. The Chargers have a tough road ahead, with four of their remaining nine games against the Chiefs and Broncos. Even if they split those, that puts them at five losses, all within the conference. They also still have the Bengals and a trip to Miami, so they would have to basically run the table for the most part. I think teams will need to be 11-5 for wildcard spots this year, or at the worst 10-6.