Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

texans @ niners thread

shakedownstreet

With a deep QB class, it makes you wonder if the Texans might go for a QB their 1st or 2nd round pick. I would hate hate hate hate if they end up getting like Hundley, Boyd, Manziel or whoever else there is in the deep class and that QB ends up being considerably better than Schaub. The Texans are a good and clutch QB away from being very good. Schaub holds them back a bit. 

Edit: Add Mccarron, Murray, Mettenberger and Braxton Miller to that list of possibilities

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

If the Texans don't get in the playoffs this year, I'm pretty sure Kubiak gets the Eskimo ice float treatment. But I'm pretty sure they'll resign Schaub either way.

Didn't they just extend Schaub 5 years last season?

Shock of the century right there. I never would have even guessed he would be our HC.

Big fan of Doc Rivers, but he quit on the team when he knew lean times were imminent.

He has the skills to make a little known teams into championship contenders. No one ever cold have imagined what he did with Butler. Shame he left, but you have to take a shot at some point. If any college coach can succeed it is him.

Didn't they just extend Schaub 5 years last season?

freudian slip? :)

Don't know why, but I thought he was a free agent after this year. He's not, just signed an extension last season.

However, he has no more guaranteed money on his deal, so they could wriggle out of his deal if they wanted. Not sure they'd do that unless he gets seriously injured and/or plays like absolute trash for the rest of the season.

Don't know why, but I thought he was a free agent after this year. He's not, just signed an extension last season.

However, he has no more guaranteed money on his deal, so they could wriggle out of his deal if they wanted. Not sure they'd do that unless he gets seriously injured and/or plays like absolute trash for the rest of the season.

i was being the grammar police. re-sign vs resign mean the virtual opposite :)

Guest TeamLoloJones

How can he not have anymore guaranteed money? Wouldn't they stretch out his signing and roster bonus?

J. J. Watt is about the only dude I respect on that team.  All those cats are just sitting around getting kicked in the teeth and he is the only one fighting.  It's pitiful!  Where is the fire from these guys?  They are just going to sit here and let us take the division with no fight. On second hand even if they do fight, you know the blue and white will be division champs anyway!

How can he not have anymore guaranteed money? Wouldn't they stretch out his signing and roster bonus?

His contract is conditional very conditional to him being on thae active roster. They would still take a beefy cap hit for cutting him though, as they gabe him top tier kind of money.

Its the main reason they are out of the Freeman discussion, they spent too much on Schaub.

None of his future salary is guaranteed, according to this: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

His signing bonus has been paid. His 2013 salary was also fully guaranteed. It's done after this year.

He also doesn't have any roster bonuses in the future. Roster bonuses aren't paid out unless the player is on the roster at a certain time of the year. A player might have a June 1 roster bonus, for instance. If he's released before then, he doesn't get the bonus, and it doesn't count against the cap.

His signing bonus counts for another $10.5m against the cap, $3.5m/year from 2014-2016. If he's released, that full $10.5m goes against the cap. If the Texans release him prior to June 1 2014, it all counts toward the 2014 cap. If they release him after that, $3.5m goes against the 2014 cap, and the remaining $7m goes against the 2015 cap. (They can technically release him prior to June 1, but designate him a post-June 1 release, so as to split up the $10.5m cap penalty.)

So if they cut him after this season, they'd likely have a $3.5m cap penalty in 2014, and a $7m cap penalty in 2015. I doubt that happens, but it could.

Guest TeamLoloJones

None of his future salary is guaranteed, according to this: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

His signing bonus has been paid. His 2013 salary was also fully guaranteed. It's done after this year.

He also doesn't have any roster bonuses in the future. Roster bonuses aren't paid out unless the player is on the roster at a certain time of the year. A player might have a June 1 roster bonus, for instance. If he's released before then, he doesn't get the bonus, and it doesn't count against the cap.

His signing bonus counts for another $10.5m against the cap, $3.5m/year from 2014-2016. If he's released, that full $10.5m goes against the cap. If the Texans release him prior to June 1 2014, it all counts toward the 2014 cap. If they release him after that, $3.5m goes against the 2014 cap, and the remaining $7m goes against the 2015 cap. (They can technically release him prior to June 1, but designate him a post-June 1 release, so as to split up the $10.5m cap penalty.)

So if they cut him after this season, they'd likely have a $3.5m cap penalty in 2014, and a $7m cap penalty in 2015. I doubt that happens, but it could.

Thanks for the info...can always count on you for the good stuff...Cheers!