Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Before anyone says it (Browns)

cmgww

The Browns are 3-0 since the TRich trade...while all the talking heads will marvel at them "getting the better of the deal with Indy" and other ridiculousness...Take a look at their remaining schedule:

Lions

@Packers

@Chiefs

Ravens

@Bengals

Steelers

Jags

@Pats

Bears

@Jets

@Steelers

While I think both teams got a good deal (especially the Colts since Bradshaw looks to be out a while), and I am genuinely happy for that fan base...I look at that schedule and see at least 5-6, maybe 7 losses. Besides, the better they play the worse that #1 pick will be. So while I am happy for that city to have a winning football team for once (lord knows they have suffered enough), and it is now obvious they weren't tanking the season....well no one gave the players the memo anyway. But it's a long season...for Indy too.

Both teams won on the trade we needed a RB and they needed picks to help out the offense. If Hoyer is healthy i think they have a good chance of winning the division. The Steerlers aren't good, they already  beat the Bengals and the Ravens barely beat them with Weedon at QB. The Browns have a top 3 defense and 2 great receiving threats in Gordan and Jordan, i could see them finishing 9-7.

This reminds me of when the Sox traded Nomar in 2004 (their best player) and went on to win the championship. It is addition by subtraction. It will probably come out sooner or later that Trent was not a good teammate. lol. But really, I think the play of Hoyer, long time Brady back up, is what sparked the team. It is a great story and I hope they keep it going. They have a very good D and awesome special teams.

If they keep winning, and we keep winning, then we got the better deal for Richardson. Because that FO wants to draft a QB this year.

Hoyer isn't who they want. Or else they wouldn't have been so desperate to offload Richardson, and start shopping their best WR in the same week.

This reminds me of when the Sox traded Nomar in 2004 (their best player) and went on to win the championship. It is addition by subtraction. It will probably come out sooner or later that Trent was not a good teammate. lol. But really, I think the play of Hoyer, long time Brady back up, is what sparked the team. It is a great story and I hope they keep it going. They have a very good D and awesome special teams.

Honestly though, the bloated Yankee- like payroll didn't hurt the Red Sox either.

In 2004?  Yanks were up 3-0 in the ALCS before choking away the biggest lead in baseball history.

We all enjoyed that, but they had an even more bloated payroll. It doesn't always get you a World Series win, but the heavy payroll doesn't hurt, just look at the Dodgers. 

We all enjoyed that, but they had an even more bloated payroll. It doesn't always get you a World Series win, but the heavy payroll doesn't hurt, just look at the Dodgers. 

Don't get me started on baseball economics. lol. It is ridiculous that there is still no cap in that sport.

But I think what the Red Sox have proven these past 2 and a half years is that talent and payroll really do mean less then having team chemistry and guys that show up to play. They are by far the biggest sport surprise of the year.

Trent wasn't and was never going to be the key piece to success in Cleveland. Success for them in the trade is if they don't get worse and still add a quality player to their team.....remember they still paid his signing bonus....we got a good running back at a heck of a deal. Success for us isn't reliant if it works out for Cleveland or not. They can go on to get a great qb and win their division but if Trent helps us succeed in the long run...than the trade works for us. If he ends up grinding out 3ypc the rest of his career and doesn't help our team then it will be a bad trade. What happens to the Browns is pointless to us....all we should worry about is do we get better.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Don't get me started on baseball economics. lol. It is ridiculous that there is still no cap in that sport.

But I think what the Red Sox have proven these past 2 and a half years is that talent and payroll really do mean less then having team chemistry and guys that show up to play. They are by far the biggest sport surprise of the year.

Ummmm.....Pirtates?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Nah, Sox.

Sorry but every single person in the world that follows baseball would disagree with you, even the biggest homer drunk Red Sox fans.

The Browns are 3-0 since the TRich trade...while all the talking heads will marvel at them "getting the better of the deal with Indy" and other ridiculousness...Take a look at their remaining schedule:

Lions

@Packers

@Chiefs

Ravens

@Bengals

Steelers

Jags

@Pats

Bears

@Jets

@Steelers

While I think both teams got a good deal (especially the Colts since Bradshaw looks to be out a while), and I am genuinely happy for that fan base...I look at that schedule and see at least 5-6, maybe 7 losses. Besides, the better they play the worse that #1 pick will be. So while I am happy for that city to have a winning football team for once (lord knows they have suffered enough), and it is now obvious they weren't tanking the season....well no one gave the players the memo anyway. But it's a long season...for Indy too.

time will tell if they got the better deal.  I think it has created some urgency and provided some critical wins for their coaching staff, which will prolong their jobs.  They will definitely win some more games. TRich's game vs. Seattle is critical for him to get everyone off of his back.  He has got to find a way to do better on his YPC, hopefully even breaking one big (which he has never done in 20 games according to his critics)

Sorry but every single person in the world that follows baseball would disagree with you, even the biggest homer drunk Red Sox fans.

Not anyone who lived through the last 18 months in Boston and watched the team throw away a playoff spot two seasons ago and then have one of its worst seasons last year thanks to Bobby V. only to have the best record in the American league the following year. Sox went from last to first under a new manager and had a 28 game swing from last year to this year in wins.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Not anyone who lived through the last 18 months in Boston and watched the team throw away a playoff spot two seasons ago and then have one of its worst seasons last year thanks to Bobby V. only to have the best record in the American league the following year. Sox went from last to first under a new manager and had a 28 game swing from last year to this year in wins.

Pirates hadn't been to the playoffs in two decades.  I win.

Pirates hadn't been to the playoffs in two decades.  I win.

But they just missed the playoffs last season, right?

The Sox went from worst to first in one season with a new manager. And they were picked to finish last in their division this season to boot.

Where were the Pirates picked to finish this season?

I'm not doubting the chemistry, but the 157 million dollar payroll didn't hurt. The Yankees and Red Sox never surprise, because with the bloated payrolls, they are always in the hunt. The Dodgers are now spending like the Yankees and Red Sox, and  bingo, playoffs. We all know the Tampa and Oakland stories, but other than the Cardinals, who are the best run organization around, it's hard to be consistent for long periods of time with lower payrolls. You have much less room for error. 

I'm not doubting the chemistry, but the 157 million dollar payroll didn't hurt. The Yankees and Red Sox never surprise, because with the bloated payrolls, they are always in the hunt. The Dodgers are now spending like the Yankees and Red Sox, and  bingo, playoffs. We all know the Tampa and Oakland stories, but other than the Cardinals, who are the best run organization around, it's hard to be consistent for long periods of time with lower payrolls. You have much less room for error. 

I am not sure if MLB will ever be able to get a salary cap because the players union is so strong. It is amazing to me the flack the NFL gets for trying to make its sport safer and trying to get rid of the thug behavior with suspensions and such and the MLB gets away with marketing itself as a legit league when only a handful of teams are able to really compete year and year out.

On a separate note, did you ever watch Moneyball with Brad Pitt? It is such a great baseball movie in terms of explaining the economics of the game. Just watching the first half hour when Billy Beane has to watch the Sox and Yankees pluck his best players after losing in the playoffs made my blood boil.

I am not sure if MLB will ever be able to get a salary cap because the players union is so strong. It is amazing to me the flack the NFL gets for trying to make its sport safer and trying to get rid of the thug behavior with suspensions and such and the MLB gets away with marketing itself as a legit league when only a handful of teams are able to really compete year and year out.

On a separate note, did you ever watch Moneyball with Brad Pitt? It is such a great baseball movie in terms of explaining the economics of the game. Just watching the first half hour when Billy Beane has to watch the Sox and Yankees pluck his best players after losing in the playoffs made my blood boil.

I think if they had a salary cap, baseball would be better for it. However, as you said, the players union is just too strong. For some reason , haven't seen Moneyball, but I will.

I love how this has turned into a baseball pissing match....back on TOPIC....

I was only pointing out what the talking heads would say today, all knee jerk. Me, I think that we got a great deal, especially with Bradshaw being out. The Browns, IMO, took this trade as a slap in the face from management, and it lit a fire under them. That will last for a bit, but that doesn't equate to a winning season. Especially with their upcoming schedule. But the more they win, the less valuable that #1 pick we gave away becomes.