Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Brown rips Mike Holmgren, calls Richardson trade 'brilliant move' on Inside The Nfl & article

bayone

"Johnny Football" number ONE>

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlll    

The 2014 draft is all about Teddy Bridgewater.

This is not how draft pics work. Given the rest of Indy's schedule and how the rest of the south looks, its unlikely that pick they got from us will be higher than mid-20's. They also seem to be ditching every player Holmgren got them at bargain sale prices. Given all this its kikely they are just hoardin picks to trade up to in case they dont get pick #1, to ensure they get Manziel. Problem is, Jacksonville is front runner in that sweepstakes, and they are unlikely to deal, leaving cleveland holding a bunch of picks and nothing to build around with them. This was a dumb trade for cleveland. Utterly brainless.

The trade was a good move for BOTH parties.      The Colts get a 22 year old RB who fits the mold they are striving for.

The Browns get a #1 pick to load up and "hopefully" draft a franchise QB.       

I personally feel it is just really ironic that Cleveland is obviously trying to SUCK for the year and promptly wins with Hoyer starting and TRich gone..    h eehehehee.e.e.e

First round picks are not GOLD.       Brown, Gonzo, Hughes, and on and on...           This was a good move for a player that is still young and fits a need.

The trade is good for Cleveland and it could be good for us.... 

..but you have to worry worry about TR's career yards per carry and his injury history

Colt RB situation NEXT season..  Brad FA, Brown FA, Ballard coming off of ACL surgery...    T Rich wrapped up through 2015 @ 2.2 per.

The move was a NO BRAIN ER for GRIGS.

So what Jim Brown is saying is this. It's brilliant to trade Richardson because he can't turn the Browns around by running through 8-9 man fronts. It's better to pay half his salary and possibly end up with a low first and possibly draft a player of nowhere near his value. Makes no sense to me how that is brilliant.

Did you know how Atlas was able to carry such huge weight on his shoulders ?

Lol Jim brown is crazy , even if Richardson is just a starter for us not a hall of gamer we win trade I think we get a young proven guy with the 24th- 32 pick in te draft so at least we know our first round pick can play

Lets take a look at Jim Brown-  A legend running back who quit his team too early to attempt to become an actor. Used his popularity to get into the movies but was no actor. His acting came to end when all the negative personal choices he made came to light and people started to see he was no actor. He had several charges of domestic violence with several different women with 2 convictions. Only did then he start to become a social activist. Said his playing days were filled with racism and jumped on that pony. His 1968 charges of attempted murder was dropped when the woman dropped the charges after he threw her off of a balcony. If all that happened today he would no doubt be in jail but because he was a famous NFL player who intimidated his victims into not testifying things were overlooked in those days. Great running back? No doubt. Good man? No, not really.

I watched this episode of Inside The NFL and he did praise the Colts for getting Richardson. He said it would take the pressure off Luck, and allow the passing game to flourish. He said that both teams won in the trade, before going in to the tirade about the Browns. That should be noted.....

Amen to that WH. How can I miss you Jim Brown if you never leave? Permanently from Cleveland.

Knowing you like I do Joker, is that a truthful statement or a sarcastic one? Nice new avatar BTW! :thmup:

Hiring a bunch of buddies and letting them get paid for almost nothing sounds like a real solid, to Mike's buddies anyway.

Jim Brown's comments are not a slight against Trent Richardson.

Can it get anymore ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns, Mike Holmgren or Jim Brown?

Right about now I gotta wonder if Jimmy Haslam wishes he'd have just kept his $1.1 billion, his 15% slice of the Steelers and just stuck to selling diesel fuel and lousy sandwiches to truck drivers.

Who knows what happened when Randy Lerner was the owner....I'm sure somewhere between what Holmgren and Brown each say lies the truth.

Mike Holmgren has been said to be quite the megalomaniac for the NFL teams he's worked for.,,,and we've seen his temper on plenty of occasions. So the alpha-walrus was bound to have his ego bruised by the Richardson trade and is no doubt infuriated with Jim Brown's comments.

As for Jim Brown, who is terminally stricken with martyr complex, I won't deny his noting of racism during and after his playing days....but it also stinks like a dead fish that he appeared to exploit that issue in an effort to mitigate his own extremely serious and completely unrelated personal failings. I mean....has the Cleveland front office sunk so low to where they REALLY needed "special consultation" from Brown...of all people?....who very visibly and miserably has failed in so many other areas of life except football?

What's next? OJ Simpson as the new Bills GM?

Never mind....don't answer that.

In the final analysis it's been Trent Richardson himself who has....by far....shown the most class in the entire situation with his comments encouraging Browns fans to keep believing in their team. That shows the respect he has for his former team mates and the agenda-free joy of playing football that he has inside him....something that departed Jim Brown a long time ago.

I'm delighted Trent Richardson is with us...and I'm pretty sure he is too.

Can it get anymore ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns, Mike Holmgren or Jim Brown?

Right about now I gotta wonder if Jimmy Haslam wishes he'd have just kept his $1.1 billion, his 15% slice of the Steelers and just stuck to selling diesel fuel and lousy sandwiches to truck drivers.

Who knows what happened when Randy Lerner was the owner....I'm sure somewhere between what Holmgren and Brown each say lies the truth.

Mike Holmgren has been said to be quite the megalomaniac for the NFL teams he's worked for.,,,and we've seen his temper on plenty of occasions. So the alpha-walrus was bound to have his ego bruised by the Richardson trade and is no doubt infuriated with Jim Brown's comments.

As for Jim Brown, who is terminally stricken with martyr complex, I won't deny his noting of racism during and after his playing days....but it also stinks like a dead fish that he appeared to exploit that issue in an effort to mitigate his own extremely serious and completely unrelated personal failings. I mean....has the Cleveland front office sunk so low to where they REALLY needed "special consultation" from Brown...of all people?....who very visibly and miserably has failed in so many other areas of life except football?

In the final analysis it's been Trent Richardson himself who has....by far....shown the most class in the entire situation with his comments encouraging Browns fans to keep believing in their team. That shows the respect he has for his former team mates and the agenda-free joy of playing football that he has inside him....something that departed Jim Brown a long time ago.

I like your comment except the part about the cheap sandwiches to the truck drivers. The Flying J truck stops have a full restaurant that includes salad bar and is far from cheap. There are some truck drivers who prefer Flying J truck stops over some others. There are a lot of services that drivers need including clean showers and a drivers lounge. Stores to purchase what they need for the road. and exercise equipment are a part of what Flying J has for the drivers. It is a shame that the owner of those truck stops can't take care of his business within the law. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I could care less what Jim Brown has to say.  As Michael Jordan and his Bobcats have shown us, former great players don't turn into great talent evaluators.

I could care less what Jim Brown has to say.  As Michael Jordan and his Bobcats have shown us, former great players don't turn into great talent evaluators.

True enough about former greats in talent evaluation.

Jim Brown's problem is that he carries his personal agenda (himself) into just about everything he opens his pie hole about.

I like your comment except the part about the cheap sandwiches to the truck drivers. The Flying J truck stops have a full restaurant that includes salad bar and is far from cheap. There are some truck drivers who prefer Flying J truck stops over some others. There are a lot of services that drivers need including clean showers and a drivers lounge. Stores to purchase what they need for the road. and exercise equipment are a part of what Flying J has for the drivers. It is a shame that the owner of those truck stops can't take care of his business within the law. 

Uh oh....you're in the trucking business, maybe?

Yeah....I don't know how deep Jimmy's involved in that whole fraud investigation but it doesn't sound good.

Anyway, you'll have to forgive my "lousy" (certainly not cheap) sandwich comment...I used to work for the Haslam's in the 90s as a manager in three of their Pilot stores out here in Cali back before they merged with Flying J.

At the Pilot stops I worked at, in those days at least....it was a choice between Wendy's Hamburgers, Dairy Queen (or as I called it...Diarrhea Queen) and those lousy sandwiches that were all soggy....like the ones Aunt Edna's dog peed on in National Lampoon's Vacation.

Why are we talking about this? :facepalm:

Uh oh....you're in the trucking business, maybe?

Yeah....I don't know how deep Jimmy's involved in that whole fraud investigation but it doesn't sound good.

Anyway, you'll have to forgive my "lousy" (certainly not cheap) sandwich comment...I used to work for the Haslam's in the 90s as a manager in three of their Pilot stores out here in Cali back before they merged with Flying J.

At the Pilot stops I worked at, in those days at least....it was a choice between Wendy's Hamburgers, Dairy Queen (or as I called it...Diarrhea Queen) and those lousy sandwiches that were all soggy....like the ones Aunt Edna's dog peed on in National Lampoon's Vacation.

Why are we talking about this? :facepalm:

I get where your coming from with the Pilot aspect of your comment. Yes I was a long haul driver for a lot of years, long enough to log close to 1.7 million miles. No need to ask any forgiveness on my part lol. At the time I knew nothing of Haslam's business dealings. My statement was directed to Flying J only. I do agree 100% about the Pilot truck stops as there were a lot who were substandard. Mostly in the southern part of the country. ( Tenn., Tx., Va. ect)  The so called fast food was a bad thing for the professional driver because of their life style. Very few people know what a professional driver goes through just to keep this country going. As an ex manager I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about. Peace.

Hiring a bunch of buddies and letting them get paid for almost nothing sounds like a real solid, to Mike's buddies anyway.

Jim Brown's comments are not a slight against Trent Richardson.

I never viewed Mike's comments as a negative, verbal indictment against Mr. Richardson actually. Clearly, Trent is talented. I just believed that Holmgren felt that releasing Richardson was a front office blunder of epic proportions. Mike is exactly right from a Browns team perspective. You can't win in this league by cutting ties with your best players. It's like cutting off a leg to prevent the onset of diabetes. It's ludicrous & psychotic IMO.

I have no inclination of how many friends Mike hired personally & if took advantage of Browns ownership generosity. It's easy for them to say that now. They sucked long before Mike ever set foot in Cleveland as President & they will probably suck as a team long after. Wake me up when they start winning division titles. Never gonna happen BTW. The truth hurts I know. 

I guess I view Jim Brown as petty & small. His statements are self serving & just childish. Grow up! You are a HOF RB. Do you possess any maturity at all as a person? Sadly no. People get asked to do things they are not thrilled with all the time. Either leave or do it. Let it go already Jim. Sigh...

BINGO! TLJ nailed it right on the head. Being naturally gifted at 1 position doesn't make that person equipped to advise the Browns front office.

By the same token, being a top notch HC doesn't indicate that you are a gifted appraiser of NFL draft talent either Mike Holmgren. Like Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his limitations" & those limitations include their own judgement calls, the ability to carry out the job description duties effectively, & the willingness to take constructive criticism from everyone else around you.

If Holmgren couldn't carry out his presidential duties well, then that is the fault of Browns management who failed to do their homework thoroughly leaving no stone unturned. I don't give the Browns a pass here at all. Incompetence in it's purest form: Sheer Laziness.

Lets take a look at Jim Brown-  A legend running back who quit his team too early to attempt to become an actor. Used his popularity to get into the movies but was no actor. His acting came to end when all the negative personal choices he made came to light and people started to see he was no actor. He had several charges of domestic violence with several different women with 2 convictions. Only did then he start to become a social activist. Said his playing days were filled with racism and jumped on that pony. His 1968 charges of attempted murder was dropped when the woman dropped the charges after he threw her off of a balcony. If all that happened today he would no doubt be in jail but because he was a famous NFL player who intimidated his victims into not testifying things were overlooked in those days. Great running back? No doubt. Good man? No, not really.

I really admire the bravery in these comments....Stating them aloud CC1...Thank you.  :worthy:  It ticks me off when sensational activity on the field gives athletes & celebrities a shield of immunity from criticism or questioning their motives. That's utterly ridiculous. I put my pants on the same way they do 1 leg at a time. Why should Jim Brown be awarded sainthood status just because of his NFL achievements? If he or I do something dumb or foolish call us out on the carpet equally. Fame or no fame. It doesn't matter to me. 

Nice work CC1. Bravo!  :hat:

Your statement that I highlighted in red made SW1 ROTF PAC56!  :lol:  :funny:  lmao  A new GM press conference from a federal penitentiary through bullet proof glass. Yeah, I'd watch that. LOL! Draft day in prison orange. Oh yeah! Shackles, collect phone calls, & HD TV just go together like mom & apple pie don't they? Ha! Ha!  

What's that OJ? You'd kill to sign this player...Uh Oh...My bad...Sorry...Still, you were thinking it though right? 

Trent is probably so happy to be a part of a winning franchise. No more laughing stock dismal team anymore. Nice! 

I love the moronic logic that the reason they got rid of Richardson is that he couldn't carry the team and they would be bad regardless.

So if your going to be getting a low draft pick either way and take a QB, why not keep Richardson and give him a shot to mature alongside a young QB? It's not like he was a max contract type of player.

It's not some brilliant move by their head office IMO. It's a classic "I want my guys" move by a GM/coach.

Dude, people think Im trolling when I say this... Trent Richardson doesnt do anything special. I just dont see it. He constantly cuts right into a tackle. He's not fast enough to bounce it outside. I've seen more potential in Williams and Ballard than I've seen of Trent. I dont get the hype. I dont even think he was worth a 1st rnd pjck. Even if you took him at 30, it would be too high imo. The Browns were smart to realize that they need a lot of help and a RB who's ceiling may be 4yrds per carry is not worth holding onto. He's not wortg building around. In Indy, he's just a small piece to an already talented offense. Maybe any talent he has will stand out more surrounded by better players.

Dude, people think Im trolling when I say this... Trent Richardson doesnt do anything special. I just dont see it. He constantly cuts right into a tackle. He's not fast enough to bounce it outside. I've seen more potential in Williams and Ballard than I've seen of Trent. I dont get the hype. I dont even think he was worth a 1st rnd pjck. Even if you took him at 30, it would be too high imo. The Browns were smart to realize that they need a lot of help and a RB who's ceiling may be 4yrds per carry is not worth holding onto. He's not wortg building around. In Indy, he's just a small piece to an already talented offense. Maybe any talent he has will stand out more surrounded by better players.

Is Trent Richardson a better player in Indy than Cleveland absolutely.

But 1 season and two games to jettison a guy? That's a FO who wants "their guys."

If we don't have Richardson right now were looking at Brown and Williams being our RBs for a decent period of time if this Bradshaw injury is serious.

Richardson is a better back than Brown. However I think the combo of them together is a nice one two punch similar to what we got out of Addai and Rhodes.

I would be leery of just having Brown at this stretch in our season to say the least.

Trent Richardson is a battering ram. He's not needed for speed. He moves piles; He is not built to run east or west. Straight downhill. Next to Donald Brown. He's a miracle worker. 

Trent Richardson is a battering ram. He's not needed for speed. He moves piles; He is not built to run east or west. Straight downhill. Next to Donald Brown. He's a miracle worker.

Well, bad teams dont build around guys like that. In hindsight, Tannehill would have been the better pick. At least he was a qb. I never understood drafting a power back and a 28yr old qb that still needed to mature as a player.

Lets take a look at Jim Brown- A legend running back who quit his team too early to attempts to become an actor. Used his popularity to get into the movies but was no actor. His acting came to end when all the negative personal choices he made came to light and people started to see he was no actor. He had several charges of domestic violence with several different women with 2 convictions. Only did then he start to become a social activist. Said his playing days were filled with racism and jumped on that pony. His 1968 charges of attempted murder was dropped when the woman dropped the charges after he threw her off of a balcony. If all that happened today he would no doubt be in jail but because he was a famous NFL player who intimidated his victims into not testifying things were overlooked in those days. Great running back? No doubt. Good man? No, not really.

Why would you even include the racism thing? In his day, I'm sure his playing days were filled with racism. As far as the domestic violence stuff, that should be fair. Game. I'm jus atonished when peopke say he's angry and bitter over race issues. Yeah, he probably is. Who wouldnt?

Why would you even include the racism thing? In his day, I'm sure his playing days were filled with racism. As far as the domestic violence stuff, that should be fair. Game. I'm jus atonished when peopke say he's angry and bitter over race issues. Yeah, he probably is. Who wouldnt?

If that needs to be explained to you It would be a waste of time and effort. Maybe you could do a little research on Jim Brown's personal life and his affection for violence away from the football field. ESPN, Bleacher Report and a few other web sites have his background put into the light if you are interested in finding out about the non legend side of Jim Brown. I spoke my opinion and will not list the exact charges that he had collected since college. They are public record if you care to look.

If that needs to be explained to you It would be a waste of time and effort. Maybe you could do a little research on Jim Brown's personally life and his affection for violence away from the football field. ESPN, Bleacher Report and a few other web sites have his background put into the light if you are interested in finding out about the non legend side of Jim Brown. I spoke my opinion and will not list the exact charges that he had collected since college. They are public record if youyou care to look.

I know he's a dirtbag, but my point was I dont think ge lied or somehow overreacted as far as racism goes . In that interview he said he 3 best friends are Bill Russell, Bill Belichick and Bobby Knight. So I don't think he's racist now.

The domestic violence stuff is sad and that should be fair gm. The racist stuff shouldnt even be brought up to disparage him. I give him a pass on race issues.

I know he's a dirtbag, but my point was I dont think ge lied or somehow overreacted as far as racism goes . In that interview he said he 3 best friends are Bill Russell, Bill Belichick and Bobby Knight. So I don't think he's racist now.

The domestic violence stuff is sad and that should be fair gm. The racist stuff shouldnt even be brought up to disparage him. I give him a pass on race issues.

His charges since his college days are much more than just domestic violence. If he faced racism as bad as he said it was I have no problem with him speaking out. But how can I, myself respect anything that come out of his mouth when he cant represent his own race with class and dignity? There is a difference between standing up for what you believe in rather than playing the race card at every opportunity to put yourself in the spotlight. He got a free pass because he was a great football player. When a person takes a stand they should lead by example. On a different subject why should the Browns pay Jim Brown a salary for being an ex brown player? Most teams would want to distance themselves from an ex player who has had the personal problems that Jim Brown has had? All of my comment are just my take and don't mean I think everyone should feel the same. 

I never viewed Mike's comments as a negative, verbal indictment against Mr. Richardson actually. Clearly, Trent is talented. I just believed that Holmgren felt that releasing Richardson was a front office blunder of epic proportions. Mike is exactly right from a Browns team perspective. You can't win in this league by cutting ties with your best players. It's like cutting off a leg to prevent the onset of diabetes. It's ludicrous & psychotic IMO.

I have no inclination of how many friends Mike hired personally & if took advantage of Browns ownership generosity. It's easy for them to say that now. They sucked long before Mike ever set foot in Cleveland as President & they will probably suck as a team long after. Wake me up when they start winning division titles. Never gonna happen BTW. The truth hurts I know. 

I guess I view Jim Brown as petty & small. His statements are self serving & just childish. Grow up! You are a HOF RB. Do you possess any maturity at all as a person? Sadly no. People get asked to do things they are not thrilled with all the time. Either leave or do it. Let it go already Jim. Sigh...

My bad, the last part of my post wasn't really directed towards you.

Well, bad teams dont build around guys like that. In hindsight, Tannehill would have been the better pick. At least he was a qb. I never understood drafting a power back and a 28yr old qb that still needed to mature as a player.

I will concede GL that most RBs tend to slowdown around 30-32 years of age. Or rather, their bodies begin to breakdown physically. The mind is still there...The awareness of what to do, but knees, legs, hamstrings, and ankles tend to experience problems/setbacks. However, a QB like Andrew Luck will prevent defenses from loading the box to exclusively stop the ground game. If Richardson can get 4-6 yards per carry & punch it in the endzone on short yardage situations that's all INDY really needs IMO. 

I was never sold on QB Ryan Tannehill personally. I still don't like the guy. I would hitch my field general horse to Matt Moore or Chad Henne now in Jacksonville. Both Matt & Chad can win games & I trust their ability to handle NFL adversity not Tannehill. 

Brown is a  brown for life ... he wasn't about to smash the browns for the trade.  ;)

We will see how much weight his words hold this week with bradshaw out - trent will get a lot of carries!

True hawkeyes, Donald Brown is a good company soldier who is a model citizen in the community & who never gets into trouble. However, he doesn't inspire me, get my blood pumping, possess lightning fast speed, & he's not a game changer either. Does he fumble a lot? No, but a stiff breeze will blow him over, he doesn't fight for additional yardage, & no one does a fist bump of enthusiasm when they pick Brown up in their fantasy football league either. He's like the player you take with no viable options left. 

We will be perfectly fine with Trent Richardson running the rock. He covers the ball with 2 hands in traffic & he switches hands with the ball when he runs. Ball security is not an issue with Trent at all. 

Not to be cruel here, but Donald Brown reminds me of the blind date line "she has a nice personality" to the question of Is she pretty. Translation: It's going to be a L-O-N-G night filled with disappoint & regret.  haha Sorry, but that's my honest opinion of Donald Brown...Nothing to brag about.