Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Painters Qb Rating Was 115.8

Mouthfire

Another good game from Painter. The stat we should look at is Painter's halftime rating (152.3). He ended up at 115.8. He needs to be more consistent, and although he had a good game, he somewhat cost us the game

He didn't turn the ball over for the first time in his playing career. He led us to 24 points, which should've been enough to beat KC. Dallas' drops alone put Painter's rating down 15 points.

The Dallas Clark thing is hurting me...This is my guy...

..and he may have cost us the game today..and from the look on his face late in the game..he knows it...

What's wrong....? We need him badly..

..and he may have cost us the game today..and from the look on his face late in the game..he knows it...

I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if maybe his wrist is bothering him and it's making catching the ball difficult? I hope it's a issue he can fix soon, because we need him to help open up garcon, collie, and wayne.

We were relentlessly gashed by their rushing attack in the 2nd half...in addition to those ridiculous Cassel to Bowe hookups.

Painter played well and is looking better each game....and with Addai out and a sputtered running game, and Dallas's drops...Curtis can't be faulted for this loss.

Over just two meaningful starts, Painter has shown progress. His first half was sick. Leave him in for the rest of the year so he gets that experience. I'm curious to see where he is eleven weeks from now through the course of what will no doubt be a lopsided W/L season. This could be another bright spot for the team come the off season.

I always have been prideful of him for breaking the mold for TE prototype. Maybe he needs Manning as much as the rest of the team needs Manning? I'm at a loss.

Another good game from Painter. The stat we should look at is Painter's halftime rating (152.3). He ended up at 115.8. He needs to be more consistent, and although he had a good game, he somewhat cost us the game

Curtis did everything but cost us the game. He put the ball where it needed to be, right in the hands. Catching it or not, is something he cannot control.

I always have been prideful of him for breaking the mold for TE prototype. Maybe he needs Manning as much as the rest of the team needs Manning? I'm at a loss.

I remember Polian talking about the unusual nature of his wrist njury and that it would take time. Accepting that at face value, I wonder if his rehab/return to usual function using his hands might take better than a year....along the line of a repairable knee problem for a RB? I'd like to know what medical procedure(s) he underwent.

Painter played amazing when u consider the offensive line was pieced together with practice squad and free agents. Yeah the Dallas drops hurt...but I noticed the offense struggle as soon as Addai left. Carter is a rookie that needs experience but shows a lot of promise but they decided to put in Brown for the second half...and we all know his running and blitz picking is average. The offense, imo, would have been more successful in the second half had Addai been there to help pick up blitz' and run the ball to allow for play action. Also...there was a blatant PI on the 4th down that didn't get called that put an end to the possible game winning drive. Hopefully Addai will b 100 percent next week and Clark comes out of his slump to help the offense that desperatey needs him at his best.

I remember Polian talking about the unusual nature of his wrist njury and that it would take time. Accepting that at face value, I wonder if his rehab/return to usual function using his hands might take better than a year....along the line of a repairable knee problem for a RB? I'd like to know what medical procedure(s) he underwent.

Supposedly, the wrist brace is an extra precaution only. The full recovery is approx. 1 year. One year will be up sometime this month, so we'll see if it really comes off or not.

There's an article out there that got a little more detailed about his surgery (not much)...I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Edit: Found it. I'll post it to the Clark thread so I don't pull this one off topic. :)

I am glad to see that he has improved. The KC defense has some problems right now, but we weren't bad. if Painter keeps playing well, we can trade him for a few draft picks. He might prove himself to be more capable than a guy like Mark Sanchez.

Edited by GoGoColts

Curtis did everything but cost us the game. He put the ball where it needed to be, right in the hands. Catching it or not, is something he cannot control.

He had a great great great first half... but the fact of the matter is that he failed to make throws in the second half. He went 3 for 10 with 40 yards in the 2nd half, and that's unacceptable. The running game was bad too. He could have been better, and because of his bad play in the 2nd half, we had to rely on the defense, and that's the reason why lost, because we relied on the defense too much, and that's because the offense didn't do anything, and that leads back to the QB, and the QB is Curtis Painter

Painter did not cost the colts the game, the defense cost the colts the game, there were a couple passes that he could have made, but during the second half caldwell took the ball out of painters hands and went with some less aggressive plays.. if painter had thrown a pic or something then i would have said that but he didnt.

He had a great great great first half... but the fact of the matter is that he failed to make throws in the second half. He went 3 for 10 with 40 yards in the 2nd half, and that's unacceptable. The running game was bad too. He could have been better, and because of his bad play in the 2nd half, we had to rely on the defense, and that's the reason why lost, because we relied on the defense too much, and that's because the offense didn't do anything, and that leads back to the QB, and the QB is Curtis Painter

A lot of things went wrong in the second half, but I think that you might be being a bit hard on Curtis. I just went back to NFL.com and looked at the play by play.

The defense started getting pushed around near the end of the first half. Then the Chiefs took the opening snap and ate up half the third quarter. The Colts then ran the ball three times, gave the ball back, and the Chiefs ate up essentially the rest of the third quarter. Suddenly the lead was down to three points, and I think the Colts tried to play ball control because they didn't want to put the defense back on the field. It failed - largely because they were unable to run the ball, and because of dropped passes.

In fact, of those seven incomplete passes, at least two were perfectly thrown but dropped, a couple of more were leading the receiver in a manner that would have required excellent catches, but nothing that we haven't seen from Colts receivers 100 times before, and I would be willing to bet that the ball he forced in to Gonzalez at the end was with the expectation of getting a penalty. From his angle it looked like the receiver was getting mugged. Pretty shrewd if he had been right (just like the 2-3 times he quick snapped the ball and caught them in penalties). I think that there were really only two bad passes - both on third down facing a serious pass rush. It was disappointing, but considering that the first half was nothing less than brilliant, and that he didn't even come close to turning the ball over, I was thoroughly impressed with his performance.

It wasn't all that long ago when even his success against Green Bay was marred by his staring down Reggie to a ridiculous degree - when was the last time anyone even hinted at a problem like that. He's improving by leaps and bounds right in front of our eyes.

Painter did not cost the colts the game, the defense cost the colts the game, there were a couple passes that he could have made, but during the second half caldwell took the ball out of painters hands and went with some less aggressive plays.. if painter had thrown a pic or something then i would have said that but he didnt.

The defense cost us the game, but that all leads back to Painter and his inability to get first downs and make some throws. I;m just saynig he had a part in the loss. the offense scored 0 points, all they needed was one td in the 2nd half

I haven't exactly been rooting for Curtis Painter in the past, but I certainly haven't been rooting AGAINST him either - after these two starts, I've kinda taken a shine towards him! It's not easy (I assume) sitting behind the best QB ever to play the game, and when you FINALLY get your shot, people (fans) expect you to take over right where Manning left off - but it looks like he's doing the best he can for this ball club, and for himself.. Wayne and Garcon helped him out last night, but the injury to Addai and Clark dropping balls like hot potatoes (is that even an expression :P ?) sure didn't help.. I say we all rally around Painter, see what he can do with this team the rest of the season, and re-evaluate his performances. I hope our Colts can at least get 2 wins with him behind center, although I was kinda hoping that KC would be one of those two ...

Supposedly, the wrist brace is an extra precaution only. The full recovery is approx. 1 year. One year will be up sometime this month, so we'll see if it really comes off or not.

There's an article out there that got a little more detailed about his surgery (not much)...I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Edit: Found it. I'll post it to the Clark thread so I don't pull this one off topic. :)

Thanks, Megan.

A lot of things went wrong in the second half, but I think that you might be being a bit hard on Curtis. I just went back to NFL.com and looked at the play by play.

The defense started getting pushed around near the end of the first half. Then the Chiefs took the opening snap and ate up half the third quarter. The Colts then ran the ball three times, gave the ball back, and the Chiefs ate up essentially the rest of the third quarter. Suddenly the lead was down to three points, and I think the Colts tried to play ball control because they didn't want to put the defense back on the field. It failed - largely because they were unable to run the ball, and because of dropped passes.

In fact, of those seven incomplete passes, at least two were perfectly thrown but dropped, a couple of more were leading the receiver in a manner that would have required excellent catches, but nothing that we haven't seen from Colts receivers 100 times before, and I would be willing to bet that the ball he forced in to Gonzalez at the end was with the expectation of getting a penalty. From his angle it looked like the receiver was getting mugged. Pretty shrewd if he had been right (just like the 2-3 times he quick snapped the ball and caught them in penalties). I think that there were really only two bad passes - both on third down facing a serious pass rush. It was disappointing, but considering that the first half was nothing less than brilliant, and that he didn't even come close to turning the ball over, I was thoroughly impressed with his performance.

It wasn't all that long ago when even his success against Green Bay was marred by his staring down Reggie to a ridiculous degree - when was the last time anyone even hinted at a problem like that. He's improving by leaps and bounds right in front of our eyes.

apparently once we fail to have sustained offensive drives, our D simply tires out as game progresses as is on the field to long without any meaningful rest time

The lack of sustained drives offensively as u noted cant be attributed simply to Painter, Clark catches and we get some first downs & who knows

& Lacy was just out muscled by Dwayne Bowe all game

Edited by bayone

The defense cost us the game, but that all leads back to Painter and his inability to get first downs and make some throws. I;m just saynig he had a part in the loss. the offense scored 0 points, all they needed was one td in the 2nd half

Painter made those throws... remember that drop by dallas, or that throw on which that pass interference wasnt called? bob lamey said it well last night... if peyton was in the game some of those missed penalty calls would have been made, which is just leading me to dislike some of the referees more.... also with the fact that he only threw the ball 10 times in the 2nd half you would think they would throw the ball more then.

painter was solid give him that,the d is garbage.

Uh...the offense had a whopping 30 yards in the 2nd half until there were just 5 minutes to go and KC got the lead. That is the reason the defebse fell apart. They were getting no help from the offense anymore, and all the pressure went on them. The defense and offense need to help each other. In the first half, both sides worked. In the second half, the O was completely shut down FIRST, and then the D was worn down.

Uh...the offense had a whopping 30 yards in the 2nd half until there were just 5 minutes to go and KC got the lead. That is the reason the defebse fell apart. They were getting no help from the offense anymore, and all the pressure went on them. The defense and offense need to help each other. In the first half, both sides worked. In the second half, the O was completely shut down FIRST, and then the D was worn down.

The only reason the defense was successful in the 1st half was because the cheifs werent clicking, they have always started slow and then they got the ball rolling.. In the 2nd half clyde should have let painter throw the ball more instead he went conservative

For a young QB who was only starting his second game of his career he did just fine. He and the offense gave the defense a 24-7 lead and the defense could do nothing in the second half. Coyer made no adjustments in the game to combat their passing and running game. Our offense did not help much because we went into conservative mode of run, run, pass, and then punt. Heck one drives in the third was run, run, run, and the punt.

It was poor game management combined with horrible play calling in the second half that put our defense in a bad decision. The defense just made it worse by playing like crap from the beginning of the second half and Coyer did nothing to adjust to anything the Chiefs did.

It seems like as soon as we get a little bit of a lead, we go into ultra-conservative mode and don't produce anything on offense, giving the other team an easy chance of catching up. It's not Painter's fault the coaches told him to stop playing. We need to start playing to win, not gaining a lead and then playing not to lose. Our team is not built for that. We need to keep pushing the offense the whole game until there is no time left in the fourth quarter. I want to see us up by 48 points before we start laying off the pressure. Keep making the big plays and wearing out the other team's defense.

Painter is certainly improving, but I think his stats are misleading. As others have mentioned, he fell apart after the first half. I also think there were some passes (the one to Reggie early on) that would have been incomplete or worse had the defensive backfield not been that of the Chiefs. He still seems to lock on when the pressure is on, but I certainly think he's improving.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering if maybe his wrist is bothering him and it's making catching the ball difficult? I hope it's a issue he can fix soon, because we need him to help open up garcon, collie, and wayne.

Is it a timing issue, he can't adapt to the change in QB rythm?