Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Expectations are through the roof now......

bluephantom87

Irsay will not sit pat and has clearly sent the message to win now. Grigs was speaking on losing 3 starters and pulling off the the trade saying that Irsay wants the organization to achieve greatness no matter the circumstance. Now I think Trent is a beast but from the new regime running the Browns they felt he's more suited for a more ground and pound offense instead of a more wide open type featuring a game changing back with explosive speed. Now I feel with him being a banger it should help with that suspect o-line more so than Donald Brown. I'm not seeing the Peyton/Edge comparison simply because they used the play action to attack downfield. Yes Trent can give you the yards Edge did but I don't see Pep using Luck the same way. Yes Luck passed more last game but how many were explosive plays? Giving up a 1st rounder for a rb who is not AP still seems high considering Arian Foster went undrafted a few years back and just last year in the same draft 170 picks later (6th rd) the Redskins selected Alfred Morris who rushed for over 1,600yds. Since the Colts gave up a 1st rounder on Trent he will carry the ball a lot which means MORE power I formations. Edge had breakaway speed prior to the knee injury and lined up single back which allowed Peyton to adjust formations. I say again a BETTER o-line will help Luck (who by the way has been sacked 7x in 2 games) or the rb lined up behind him. I saw one analyst question what impact this will have on Luck who only passed for 178yds in the 1st game while focusing more on the running game. Will the franchise qb become a game manager under Pep? Early stats have the Colt's passing game in the bottom half of the league out of 32 teams. Just saying...

We'll see. I believe Irsay wants to win NOW and sees a lot of Peyton in Luck but I say again Pep will handcuff his talents. One thing Tom Moore did was ALLOW Peyton to grow and once Edge arrived it took off. Pep was already toning Luck down BEFORE the trade. GROUND and POUND works in the nfl if you have a dominant defense. Landry leads the league in tackles and Bethea is right up there too. (both are safeties) So was the money spent on the d-line and lbs in FA worth it? The Colts rank 29th against the run and as one analyst put it can't stop anyone so far and their upcoming schedule will get a lot tougher. With fewer possessions on the horizon SCORING will be a must. On paper I LOVE our offensive skill set.(even with the loss of Allen and Ballard) Think about the weapons the Colts have on offense with Luck, Reggie, TY, Fleener, DHB, Bradshaw, Whalen, Brazill (back in a few games) to some extent Brown :oops:  and now you add Trent the sky SHOULD be the limit if we had a Sean Payton type as oc but with Pep as the oc and Chuck preferring the grind it out style our offense will resemble Stanford? :facepalm:

We'll see. I believe Irsay wants to win NOW and sees a lot of Peyton in Luck but I say again Pep will handcuff his talents. One thing Tom Moore did was ALLOW Peyton to grow and once Edge arrived it took off. Pep was already toning Luck down BEFORE the trade. GROUND and POUND works in the nfl if you have a dominant defense. Landry leads the league in tackles and Bethea is right up there too. (both are safeties) So was the money spent on the d-line and lbs in FA worth it? The Colts rank 29th against the run and as one analyst put it can't stop anyone so far and their upcoming schedule will get a lot tougher. With fewer possessions on the horizon SCORING will be a must. On paper I LOVE our offensive skill set.(even with the loss of Allen and Ballard) Think about the weapons the Colts have on offense with Luck, Reggie, TY, Fleener, DHB, Bradshaw, Whalen, Brazill (back in a few games) to some extent Brown :oops:  and now you add Trent the sky SHOULD be the limit if we had a Sean Payton type as oc but with Pep as the oc and Chuck preferring the grind it out style our offense will resemble Stanford? :facepalm:

guarantee if Pep " handcuffs " luck and his abilities especially when both grigs and irsay know exactly how good Luck could be (last year is a very good example) Pep could be on his way out. especially if it comes to our offense avg. less points on offense then last season and not make the playoffs. its the reason why, i wanted Norv Turner as our OC. now that guy can run an offense, he just cant be a HC. 

guarantee if Pep " handcuffs " luck and his abilities especially when both grigs and irsay know exactly how good Luck could be (last year is a very good example) Pep could be on his way out. especially if it comes to our offense avg. less points on offense then last season and not make the playoffs. its the reason why, i wanted Norv Turner as our OC. now that guy can run an offense, he just cant be a HC. 

Was leery about the Pep hire to begin with and not sold on Chuck as hc yet. (might be too conservative) This reminds me of Ron Meeks and Russ Purnell on Dungy's staff. With the eye test you could see they were in over their heads but it took years to get them out of here. Felt the same way about Caldwell too but Peyton masked a lot of mediocrity around here for years. 

So we must believe You that PEP will NEVER Learn or ADAPT to the players he has. OK thanks!

JIMO, Get a Grip!

When Satelle, McGlynn and kinda Hopefully Castonzo are replaced by experienced, more gifted players,and Andrew quits starring down Reggie for too many targets, and he Greatly improves his short to mid-range accuracy, only then will we see if PEP is intelligent enough to develope a well balanced offense. 

Won`t be happening this season.

Hmmm! How many times did we throw last week? Plenty!!  Look at Andrews decision making as well as the tape allows us to see it.
Andrew felt a little SICK when he saw it, I would 100% guarantee it.

I watched Saturday say the other day Peyton basically ran 9 plays. It is all about execution.

Pep is no doubt running the same plays Lombardi, Landry, Walsh, & Norv did.
We are just waiting for Luck and his teammates to get in sink, (usually takes YEARS) and then for Andrew to read defenses and develope the skills to make all the throws. lol

I have been thinking about this trade and here's why it's a win for the Colts. They already have "the" commodity of the last few drafts in Luck. It's a bonus that the Colts essentially moved up in the pecking order by getting T-Rich for what will be far less than what the Brownies paid to rent him for 18 games. I think he's a safe bet.

How much of it is Pep doing what Pagano wants? Pep is starting to get a little too much blame. I didn't like the hire either, because I didnt like Stanford's offense even when Luck was there. Being conservative cost them the Fiesta Bowl vs OSU

I feel like its time to invest in the oline, and using1st rnd picks is a must.

I think we will see something very similar to the old Broncos scheme with Elway/TD(Terrell Davis). I think this comparison is much more valid then the Peyton/Edge comparison. 

I would agree on the comparison but the scheme for Elway was based more on him being older and near the end of his career. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I would agree on the comparison but the scheme for Elway was based more on him being older and near the end of his career. 

How about Aikman/Emmitt Smith?

First, I'd like to mention that it's only been two games. It's too early to say "we rank amongst the worst in run defense" --although it may be true for now, it's because we played against a QB that ran like a deer and hit like a truck (Pryor). The Raiders running backs didn't do so well against us. We didn't do great against Miami's run game, but we weren't bad either. Things will become more evident as we have a larger sample. I think our run defense is much improved and will be ranked somewhere in the middle of the league.

As for Pep handcuffing Luck. What do you mean by this? Please explain.

Luck's thrown plenty. He's now using the play action pass that many of us wanted more of. He's now rolling out more and making throws on the run. He's using his check-downs and he still thrown many deep to intermediate passes. It's up to him to hit on those throws, and he missed last week, with the exception of TY's amazing catch. I think Pep's expanded on Luck's abilities. I now see Luck making many more adjustments at the line, which is a sign of trust in our franchise quarterback. Not sure what more you would ask for?

I say again Pep will handcuff his talents.

Dropping back 51 times not enough for you?

I dont get all this hate..I actually like what Pep has done. First game wasnt the best called game ever based on our personnel, but he learned and came back with lots of 3 and 4 wide sets. Not only that but he moved every weapon around, I saw Fleener at the top and bottom the the screen, both slot positions and TE. Likewise with Reggie and TY.

Its week 2, the playbook is still growing and adapting, give it time. We show moments of great potential and then go flat, usually due to a negative play that stalls the drive. Once the Oline improves its blitz pickups the offense will take off imo.

I say that if Pep were calling the plays on our last drive last week, he should have been MORE conservative, not less. We were on the 23(?) yard line with a few minutes left. Why pass, pass, pass, pass? We should have got closer, went slower and, after we eventually scored the TD, give no time back to the Dolphins. What a waste!

:wall:  :thmdown:

I say that if Pep were calling the plays on our last drive last week, he should have been MORE conservative, not less. We were on the 23(?) yard line with a few minutes left. Why pass, pass, pass, pass? We should have got closer, went slower and, after we eventually scored the TD, give no time back to the Dolphins. What a waste!

I agree with you that I did not like the result of the last drive. But I can't specifically blame it on the play calling. There were many receivers open on all of Luck's missed throws. They happened to be underneath and for whatever reason, Luck kept opting for the deeper throws. Luck later admitted in his press conference that if he could take that drive back, he would have focused on the shorter throws and kept moving the ball.

I think Pep called a good game, except for the 2nd -and 1, and 3rd-and-1 calls to start the game.

I give Luck an F for his decision making on our last series. Sorry HOMERS.

I give Luck an F for his decision making on our last series. Sorry HOMERS.

I agree with you. I was yelling at my TV for Luck to throw to Whalen who was wide open with no one near him. He could've picked up a crucial first down ad kept the drive alive. Instead....1-1.

I think it will take sometime for Pep and Pagano to get good at situational football. They are relatively new to there positions, and will get better as the year progresses.

With that being said. I am tired of seeing the 1 wide receiver sets. I wonder if there is a stat that tells us how many yards gained and pts we have scored off that alignment.

I think it will take sometime for Pep and Pagano to get good at situational football. They are relatively new to there positions, and will get better as the year progresses.

With that being said. I am tired of seeing the 1 wide receiver sets. I wonder if there is a stat that tells us how many yards gained and pts we have scored off that alignment.

The 1 wide receiver set is definitely a Stanford thing. I still see Stanford using this formation (subbing a receiver in for a 6th lineman), and you may also see the 49ers use this formation as well, with their Stanford ties.

Basically, you're telling the defense "we're running the ball, can you guys stop ours?"

It's worked for Stanford and it's worked for the 49ers. You really can't argue against their success, so it doesn't bother me too much. Our O-line has done a good job of run blocking thus far.

Was leery about the Pep hire to begin with and not sold on Chuck as hc yet. (might be too conservative) This reminds me of Ron Meeks and Russ Purnell on Dungy's staff. With the eye test you could see they were in over their heads but it took years to get them out of here. Felt the same way about Caldwell too but Peyton masked a lot of mediocrity around here for years. 

glad to know im not the only one who thinks Pagano is to conservative, especially with the defense. i am still waiting to see all of these exotic blitz packages he had in Baltimore.

So we must believe You that PEP will NEVER Learn or ADAPT to the players he has. OK thanks!

JIMO, Get a Grip!

When Satelle, McGlynn and kinda Hopefully Castonzo are replaced by experienced, more gifted players,and Andrew quits starring down Reggie for too many targets, and he Greatly improves his short to mid-range accuracy, only then will we see if PEP is intelligent enough to develope a well balanced offense. 

Won`t be happening this season.

Hmmm! How many times did we throw last week? Plenty!!  Look at Andrews decision making as well as the tape allows us to see it.

Andrew felt a little SICK when he saw it, I would 100% guarantee it.

I watched Saturday say the other day Peyton basically ran 9 plays. It is all about execution.

Pep is no doubt running the same plays Lombardi, Landry, Walsh, & Norv did.

We are just waiting for Luck and his teammates to get in sink, (usually takes YEARS) and then for Andrew to read defenses and develope the skills to make all the throws. lol

What?! First off whatever I say is my opinion like EVERYONE on this forum. Second don't go putting words in my mouth because I never said Pep would NEVER adapt to his players!! Further more HOW do YOU know he's no doubt running the same plays Lombardi, Landry, Walsh, & Norv ran? (get my point) I thought we were all Colt fans with different views on differrent topics. My problem with Pep is that everything he has said to this point about wanting to be a power running team, going to the short passing game and lining up in power formatioms does not match his personnel with the Colts especially with that subpar o-line. My stance has ALWAYS been that he needs to adapt to his talent at hand. Now if he does WHILE implementing some of his offense he will be fine. That's why what Luck did last year with the other rookies at the skill positions along with Reggie was amazing. Even set some rookie qb records along the way. Yes Luck did throw more Sunday but most were midrange passes and when they did go deep it seemed (like many others have said) 1 receiver was on the route. Who knows maybe this is part of Chuck's overall gameplan.