Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

another week another

CR91

team not scoring a td on a first team defense. say what you want about not getting pressure bottom line if teams cant score on us we win the game

Definitely true.  Although in this game the Colts were helped by a poor WR corps for Cleveland.

And this is not a knock on the Colts seconday... I think this could be the best secondary the Colts have had in the Indy era.  They dominated the Browns WR and they should dominate an average to good bunch.

Weeden somewhat but he started the game 6 for 6 and then the Colts figured out the WRs were slow enough to where they could really just sit on them and not fear them getting behind them and Weeden had no choice but to try to force passes in there.

He was staring down receivers and missing badly on some throws.

It seems like our D always starts a little slow.

team not scoring a td on a first team defense. say what you want about not getting pressure bottom line if teams cant score on us we win the game

Would'nt you agree preseason game 3 looked better than game 2 ?

I will wait until the regular season before I get too excited, I just want to see improvement each & every week & I saw it .

I think we need to play better coverage, because we don't have great initial pass rush on the edge. We are getting push up the middle, which is great, and we're closing in on the outside, but we haven't had the great burst to the quarterback right off the snap. Of course, our scheme slows the edge rushers down purposely, so if we get in obvious passing situations, I think Mathis can still beat any linemen in the league. But because the scheme is a little slower to the quarterback, I think the coverage needs to be tighter initially, and more disciplined.

Toler is a gambler, and it cost us on a couple of plays, including a third down. Bethea had a nice hit on a tight end, but we still gave up the catch. I again thought Davis was strong. Walden and a couple other linebackers got lost in space, both with the ball in the air and trying to tackle after the catch. Not good. 

The run defense was strong. We corralled well, and tackled much better this week than the past two. Still weren't as stout in the middle as we should be, but better than last week. Werner and Mathis were better on the edge. Rayford is probably not going to be great setting the edge, but the boy can pass rush. And his length helps him tremendously; all three of his sacks were the result of him reaching out off of a block to grab the QB. He's got to make the roster over Sidbury.

Last thing: The Browns aren't a great offense. No receivers, questionable quarterback, but they have a decent line and a powerful running back, and we handled them pretty well up front. I think a better passing attack would have sliced us up, though. 

You can't build a Monster in 3 preseason games and shouldn't expect to. These players haven't even been together long enough to know each others names let alone play 100% together. We still haven't seen all of the starters play together on both sides of the ball. Next week will be cut week so we will mostly see all of the bubble players. Bottom line is we have witnessed some real good play from quite a few players and we all should be excited in the future. It's good being a Colts fan knowing things are looking up.