Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener Mild Sprained Knee

HtownColt

From pick 1 in the 2nd to pick 1 in the 4th only other players I would want would be Russell Wilson or Bernard Pierce. I love Pierce but like the Ballard value later, and Wilson you don't need after picking Luck. Assuming its an offensive skill player since that's the way we drafted, yes Chris Givens. Dude is a burner but has more to his game as well. Would just get better every year like Hilton will working w/ Luck. Got to have 3-4 seriously talented WRs along w/ a great QB to win SBs nowadays.

Ravens would argue otherwise

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when players are blowing out their knees left right before the season even starts...yes...one can be happy to only have a knee sprain...

facepalm? what are you ten?

ya ya ya, a player with a knee sprain is happy its not torn.  a player who tears there mcl is happy they didnt lose their leg.  a player who loses a leg is happy it wasnt both.  a player who loses both legs is happy they arent dead.  a player who dies is happy they didnt die in college...

i get it.  it could always be worse, but that doesnt mean it isnt a bad thing.  i guarantee Coby Fleener is not happy he sprained his knee.

by the way,  i am not 10, i just used the facepalm because i didnt want to be mean and say your comment was stupid.  

ya ya ya, a player with a knee sprain is happy its not torn.  a player who tears there mcl is happy they didnt lose their leg.  a player who loses a leg is happy it wasnt both.  a player who loses both legs is happy they arent dead.  a player who dies is happy they didnt die in college...

i get it.  it could always be worse, but that doesnt mean it isnt a bad thing.  i guarantee Coby Fleener is not happy he sprained his knee.

by the way,  i am not 10, i just used the facepalm because i didnt want to be mean and say your comment was stupid.  

my god dude...i wasn't saying it was a fact that he was smiling because he didn't tear his acl...i was just using that as an example trying to make a point that its preseason, the dude doesn't need to be crying over a couple bad quarters of preseason football....

Going by what you said...wide receivers. I don't think as a whole smith, boldin, and jones are seriously talented.

We can agree to disagree. I do think they are seriously talented. Especially Smith, Boldin, Pitta who are borderline pro bowl talent. And Jacoby showed up in a big way last playoffs. No, it isn't what Manning had when he threw 48 or what he has now in DEN. But it's damn good. If I were a GM, I could ride with those weapons.

From pick 1 in the 2nd to pick 1 in the 4th only other players I would want would be Russell Wilson or Bernard Pierce. I love Pierce but like the Ballard value later, and Wilson you don't need after picking Luck. Assuming its an offensive skill player since that's the way we drafted, yes Chris Givens. Dude is a burner but has more to his game as well. Would just get better every year like Hilton will working w/ Luck. Got to have 3-4 seriously talented WRs along w/ a great QB to win SBs nowadays.

First of all I didn't like the Fleener pick when it happened last April. Didn't hate it but thought there were better players out there . I did realize that they wanted to help Luck out as much as possible , agreed with that , but still wished they didn't take Fleener at 2.2.

Secondly , I've already said in this post that people are making too much out of a few plays in the first pre season game. Give the guy a chance....Also is really not nice to say he's afraid of contact. We have in no way seen enough for that to even be mentioned at this point in time.

Now for what you have above , I think you are way off on that one. I'll list the nice players that would have been very nice picks in round 2. I'll just go to Wagner as the others like Casey Heyward would be a reach at the top of round 2. You could argue that Wagner would have been an over draft at pick 2.2 but I included him as it fits what you have posted. But the top 3 guys I have listed were all very good , highly rated players at positions that were in "HUGE" need when were on the clock in April 1012.

2.3   Upshaw

2.7  Jenkins

2.9   Glenn

2.15  Wagner

I think we're being a bit harsh on him for essentially 3 drops. Hopefully he has his issues sorted our by week 1 though. After that there is no excuse.

That's what people do around here very well. If you don't look like an all-pro every week, you're garbage. Frankly, I'm ashamed to be a colts fan sometimes. All people do is complain as if their lives are at stake. Pretty freakin sad. When the game is on, I live and breathe colts, but when the game is over, I move on without criticizing everything. Some of you really need help. 

Dominating in 2 hand touch is different then dominating againt a team that is going to hit you.

I'm well aware.....    as I am that practice is a long way from two hand touch....

I'm only offering some perspective which, from time to time, is badly needed when the board goes into a meltdown over this offensive lineman who sucks or that tight end who is under performing and disappointing....

Not everything is the simple black and white of "this guys sucks and that guy is great!"

I'm well aware.....    as I am that practice is a long way from two hand touch....

I'm only offering some perspective which, from time to time, is badly needed when the board goes into a meltdown over this offensive lineman who sucks or that tight end who is under performing and disappointing....

Not everything is the simple black and white of "this guys sucks and that guy is great!"

I hear you.  After getting popped a few times, fumbling and getting concussed a player is more likely to not concentrate on the ball and concentrate more on getting lit up.

In practice vs your teammates catching a ball and looking good is much easier.

A) he was a rookie - rookie tight ends very rarely have a great deal of success...

B) he was injured half the season, playing hurt the other half

sounds like ur ready to give up on him already....

I'm a huge Colts fan I want every single player to be great.  If I am critical of a player I am calling it like I see it not how I wish it was.  I hope Fleener proves everybody wrong or uses the criticism as motivation.

I think u gave an excuse for every Fleener mistake so far...

Well that settles that then. Maybe he's just having some bad luck these past two games. 

I don't know how he's going to overcome being afraid to get hit though.

How do you know he's afraid of being hit? It could simply be that he's making mental mistakes?

How do you know he's afraid of being hit? It could simply be that he's making mental mistakes?

The willingness he shows to get involved in the blocking game tends to disprove the "he's soft" or "he's scared of contact" arguments imo.

The willingness he shows to get involved in the blocking game tends to disprove the "he's soft" or "he's scared of contact" arguments imo.

Exactly. Plus, even though he fumbled on that pass play last week, he looked like he wanted to run over that defender, he just didn't secure the ball enough.

I don't really know. I was just going off what other people were saying earlier.

I like to think Fleener will improve on his drops like Hilton has by week 1.

I've said this multiple times hindsight is 20-20 of course no way we could have known. But people even after his bad combine still had Allen over Fleener heading into the draft. Take Allen top of 2nd, Hilton top of 3rd, Givens bottom of 3rd/top of 4th.

The point remains that you're willingly trading a top of the 2nd round pick for a bottom of the 3rd/top of 4th with no additional compensation.  You're willingly drafting 2 players, Allen and Hilton, a full round before you need to.  All in all, this is just not a very smart idea.  Now if you choose not to draft Fleener, and instead take someone else that was still available at the top of the 2nd round OR trade down from the spot where we draft Fleener and gained some additional draft picks...either way then you have a much more valid argument.

I'm a huge Colts fan I want every single player to be great.  If I am critical of a player I am calling it like I see it not how I wish it was.  I hope Fleener proves everybody wrong or uses the criticism as motivation.

I think u gave an excuse for every Fleener mistake so far...

A player getting a concussion and fumbling and a defender getting his hand in on the ball and breaking up a play are not excuses. Just reasons for people to not overreact about Fleener if you ask me....

First of all I didn't like the Fleener pick when it happened last April. Didn't hate it but thought there were better players out there . I did realize that they wanted to help Luck out as much as possible , agreed with that , but still wished they didn't take Fleener at 2.2.

You are not alone on that one.

my god dude...i wasn't saying it was a fact that he was smiling because he didn't tear his acl...i was just using that as an example trying to make a point that its preseason, the dude doesn't need to be crying over a couple bad quarters of preseason football....

wo wo wo.... dont my god dude me... what is this crap about crying on the sideline.   you have replied to me with it multiple times now and i never said he should be.  stop just pretending i said some outrageous thing.  i made a simple comment and u blew it way out of proportion.  

this is ur first post i replied to:

I bet it irritates Fleener too....

This is my comment:

it sure didnt look like it while he was smiling and laughing on the sideline.  

this is you freaking out:

Sorry he is not on the sidelines crying....

Maybe he is smiling that he got out of that game with only a knee sprain....

its preseason....

it seems to me like you need to take your grouchy pants off

wo wo wo.... dont my god dude me... what is this crap about crying on the sideline.   you have replied to me with it multiple times now and i never said he should be.  stop just pretending i said some outrageous thing.  i made a simple comment and u blew it way out of proportion.  

This is my comment:

why can't the dude smile? so he dropped a ball.....it doesn't mean he doesn't take it serious....i bet he is more critical of himself than you are of him, which is difficult.....

A player getting a concussion and fumbling and a defender getting his hand in on the ball and breaking up a play are not excuses. Just reasons for people to not overreact about Fleener if you ask me....

The defender actually didn't get his hand on the ball. It was clear on the replay that it was a perfect throw. Just a silly mistake from Fleener.

I just saw the replay on the news Fleener looked like a guy who was either trying to block or expecting a different play.  He had no clue the ball was coming to him there.  I don't think he was looking for the defender because he was scared of the hit I just don't think he was expecting the pass right then.  Still not a good thing but I think people are trying to find reasons to label him scared or soft.  Frankly we don't know if he is or not because like I said before we have no way of knowing what's going on in his head. 

Anything is a possibility...but then again...he never ran into any of those guys so that would be even WORSE. It was a max protection 2 man route....he HAD TO KNOW HE WAS A LIKELY TARGET. Look...I know what he looked like because quite frankly I've done that before when I played TE. You get popped and I remember it took me a couple times over the middle to to get comfortable navigating again. Honestly the whole game I was watching he looked very timid...a little lost...HONESTLY I was worried for him because it looked like he still had lingeing affects from the concussion to me. I won't hold this game against him...he hasn't shown much last year or so far this year to really say he is going to be a great TE in the league but then again...I really really think he still had some lingering affects from that concussion....because if not...he looked very timid...ON ALL his routes etc.

This is my comment:

my god dude, is that really what you consider "freaking out"? lol

The defender actually didn't get his hand on the ball. It was clear on the replay that it was a perfect throw. Just a silly mistake from Fleener.

I believe he was referring to the missed TD pass from Hasselbeck in the first game, not the drop from Luck on the crossing route in the 2nd game. :)

Anything is a possibility...but then again...he never ran into any of those guys so that would be even WORSE. It was a max protection 2 man route....he HAD TO KNOW HE WAS A LIKELY TARGET. Look...I know what he looked like because quite frankly I've done that before when I played TE. You get popped and I remember it took me a couple times over the middle to to get comfortable navigating again. Honestly the whole game I was watching he looked very timid...a little lost...HONESTLY I was worried for him because it looked like he still had lingeing affects from the concussion to me. I won't hold this game against him...he hasn't shown much last year or so far this year to really say he is going to be a great TE in the league but then again...I really really think he still had some lingering affects from that concussion....because if not...he looked very timid...ON ALL his routes etc.

Unless it was a communication issue and Fleener thought it was a different play where there would be more than 2 routes being ran.  I'm not saying that's what happened, just playing devil's advocate to the "he had to know" part.  

My honest take is that he didn't look on that play because he didn't think he was open and therefore the ball wouldn't be coming in his direction. To that I would say he's going to have to learn that being "open" in the NFL and being "open" in college are definitely not the same thing.  He wasn't open from the time the ball was snapped as someone earlier mistakenly claimed, but he did get into a very, very tight window in the zone coverage and was open for just long enough that it could have been a completion.

I agree with looking lost and I agree with that being a problem.  I just disagree with the idea that he's scared to get hit based on that.  I don't think that factored into the play.  I think either him or Hasselbeck were on the wrong page and you are 100% correct that's a problem, and based on how players and coaches reacted last night it was Fleener.  I also think looking timid can be a by product of being lost because you aren't 100% sure what you are supposed to do out there and have low self confidence in your abilities.  It could be that, I don't know because I am not in his head so I am a little reluctant to say he's scared out there. 

my god dude, is that really what you consider "freaking out"? lol

i just made a comment that i never thought was going to be replied to but here we are, like 10 replies and a page later...  by freaking out i meant it is when he started being a little rude and a bit condescending in his responses when i never intended for it to be anything more than me pointing out the fact that he was smiling.  i never said him smiling was a problem

why can't the dude smile? so he dropped a ball.....it doesn't mean he doesn't take it serious....i bet he is more critical of himself than you are of him, which is difficult.....

you still dont get it.  i was just stating a fact, he indeed was smiling and laughing.  i never once, at any point, said i had any problem with it or that he shouldnt be doing it.  i just said he was doing it.

i just made a comment that i never thought was going to be replied to but here we are, like 10 replies and a page later...  by freaking out i meant it is when he started being a little rude and a bit condescending in his responses when i never intended for it to be anything more than me pointing out the fact that he was smiling.  i never said him smiling was a problem

That's true, you didn't. You certainly implied it though. ;)

IDK  What gets me is the guy at this point at gametime is playing bad, fumbling the ball and flat out missing assignments; but yet he's on the sideline yucking it up, joking around, having the time of his life,  Like really is he THAT comfortable with his play hurting his team that way?   You would think he'd be a little more concerned.  I think he's the type that plays well in practice but chokes when the "lights" are on. That would explain it everything   I hope he proves me wrong.  PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG COBY!!!!!   But I think im right.

IDK  What gets me is the guy at this point at gametime is playing bad, fumbling the ball and flat out missing assignments; but yet he's on the sideline yucking it up, joking around, having the time of his life,  Like really is he THAT comfortable with his play hurting his team that way?   You would think he'd be a little more concerned.  I think he's the type that plays well in practice but chokes when the "lights" are on. That would explain it everything   I hope he proves me wrong.  PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG COBY!!!!!   But I think im right.

Is he supposed to be in a state of perpetual angst because he dropped a pass? I'm sure he's not happy about it, but life goes on. He'll get back on the practice field and put in work, and hopefully he improves. In the meantime, he's having a good time with his teammates on the sideline. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Secondly , I've already said in this post that people are making too much out of a few plays in the first pre season game. Give the guy a chance....Also is really not nice to say he's afraid of contact. We have in no way seen enough for that to even be mentioned at this point in time.

Now for what you have above , I think you are way off on that one. I'll list the nice players that would have been very nice picks in round 2. I'll just go to Wagner as the others like Casey Heyward would be a reach at the top of round 2. You could argue that Wagner would have been an over draft at pick 2.2 but I included him as it fits what you have posted. But the top 3 guys I have listed were all very good , highly rated players at positions that were in "HUGE" need when were on the clock in April 1012.

2.3 Upshaw

2.7 Jenkins

2.9 Glenn

2.15 Wagner

I said offensive skill positions only since that was what our first 4 picks were. Ide agree there were good players on D but we didn't go that route first 4 picks.

I said offensive skill positions only since that was what our first 4 picks were. Ide agree there were good players on D but we didn't go that route first 4 picks.

I'm sorry , I missed that but gosh.. that just leaves WR , TE and RB as we would never take a QB at 2.2. So I guess I would agree that he was probably an OK pick if you had to go in that direction. We could sit here and argue that they had to get help for Luck and if they just "settled" on 1 TE , chances are Allen would be gone by pick 3.1  Where I would argue is that you could still "tilt" this draft to help Luck and select a better player at 2.2. 

In any event , you were correct with the premise that there were no better offensive skill position players available at that spot. One could argue Allen , but we have him....

Also Glenn (2.9)  is a very good looking OL that is going to play LT for the Bills this year. But no team drafts perfectly and we know that.

Is he supposed to be in a state of perpetual angst because he dropped a pass? I'm sure he's not happy about it, but life goes on. He'll get back on the practice field and put in work, and hopefully he improves. In the meantime, he's having a good time with his teammates on the sideline. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

I think we should tar and feather him if he drops another pass and gets caught smiling that same day.

I'm sorry , I missed that but gosh.. that just leaves WR , TE and RB as we would never take a QB at 2.2. So I guess I would agree that he was probably an OK pick if you had to go in that direction. We could sit here and argue that they had to get help for Luck and if they just "settled" on 1 TE , chances are Allen would be gone by pick 3.1  Where I would argue is that you could still "tilt" this draft to help Luck and select a better player at 2.2. 

In any event , you were correct with the premise that there were no better offensive skill position players available at that spot. One could argue Allen , but we have him....

Also Glenn (2.9)  is a very good looking OL that is going to play LT for the Bills this year.

We didn't have any tight ends at the time. Just Brody Eldridge, who didn't even make it to camp, I don't think. I understand if Grigson had tight end highlighted at that spot. And I understand if the collective decision was that Fleener was a better option than Allen at the time. He's bigger, faster, had history with Luck... It so worked out that we got both.

A lineman would have been the best bet.

I think we should tar and feather him if he drops another pass and gets caught smiling that same day.

Or week, to appease most of these hardliners around here. I think they want to see him drop and do 100 pushups, then run a mile around the stadium (on his sprained knee, by the way), then spend the rest of the game catching passes on the sideline.

Humans smile. Coby Fleener is a human. Therefore, Coby Fleener smiles. It sucks, I know, but it's the way of the world.

We didn't have any tight ends at the time. Just Brody Eldridge, who didn't even make it to camp, I don't think. I understand if Grigson had tight end highlighted at that spot. And I understand if the collective decision was that Fleener was a better option than Allen at the time. He's bigger, faster, had history with Luck... It so worked out that we got both.

A lineman would have been the best bet.

We didn't you are right and you are definately right about taking Fleener because of his link to Luck....now did that cause us to overvalue him...who knows. We could have brought back Tamme though which I think would have been a very worth while signing....being the more receiver type TE and still taken Allen.....but Grigson had his plan...and executed it. Coby may work out...or he may just be one of those slow to develop...or he may never...I would just like to see him come along a little faster. I was expecting him to take that next step this year...he is in a familiar system and been with Luck for years now...HONESTLY he has no excuse as EVERYTHING is stacked in his favor to succeed. I do expect him to...I expect him to make strides...last night though....he looked very timid and unsure..not just on the pass but in general...he looked a little lost out there...and I really think he was feeling side effects from his head injury...at least that is what I hope because otherwise...he didn't look worthy of a starting TE anywhere in the league.