Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Pick in the Draft Playoff standings

Xfiles

Colts 0-4

Vikings 0-4

Rams 0-4

Miami 0-4

Looks like we will be fighting with Miami for the first pick. I think the Vikings are much better than that record whenever they realize that Mcnabb runs out of gas every game.

Rams have a lot of talent and are in an uber crap division.

Miami might be 1-15 when its all said and done.

We will have our work cut out for us this upcoming week. If we beat the Chiefs, we could have the tie-breaker, but it would be a tie-breaker we wouldn't want to have haha. The Rams will win a few games. The Vikings should win a game or 2 just because of AP. I'm waiting for McNabb's annual mid-season injury, but I still say they win a few games. Seattle could possibly not win another game this year. There are a lot of crappy teams out there this season. We will have to wait and see who finished with the worst record this year, but it could be a number of teams.

If we had some decent coaches we wouldn't be in the shape were in. It doesn't matter where we draft if we don't make some coaching changes they will be limited of their full potential just like half the players on this team. But anywho I still don't believe we will finish with the worst record in the nfl. We will end up somewhere around 4-12 or 5-11 which will probably put us picking around 3rd in the draft. However we finish this year though I will still bleed blue, wear all my colts apparel, Stay on the wagon, and ALWAYS BELIEVE! I hate all the nay sayers on here I have those thoughts sometimes, (and alot this year) but I never say them out loud because I LOVE my team and will support them as long as there is a pro team in Indy.

Nobody said we werent supporting the team Chandler. Love me some Colts, but it intrigues me to see what we could get with a high draft pick......last time we picked number one overall that worked out PRETTY good for us. ;)

True, the last time we picked as high as fourth went well too!

I bleed blue, which is why I am not afraid to say when I am disappointed with players/coaching/front office. It is interesting to see how different fans treat this kind of situation, though I get driven a little crazy by some of the people who are homers to a T. I love the Colts, but as a fan, I don't feel that it is necessary to support a bad team if I beleive that the the front office/coaches are not doing everything that can be done to build a great franchise.... I call that being a Cubs fan.

Well I think it's safe to say a top 5 draft pick is guaranteed. The Chiefs got the 5th overall pick in 2010 with a 4-12 record, and this year the Cards got the 5th overall pick with a 5-11 record. Although, I and all Colts fans want to finish 12-4, it's very unrealistic and you have to be real. I'm being honest right now, we go 4-12, and get the 3rd spot. The Vikings get 4th, Rams 2nd, Dolphins 1st.

Of the teams in the hunt for the No. 1 pick, you would have to think that teams like the Vikings or Bengals or St. Louis wouldn't be interested in Luck. Miami will jump all over luck as would KC. Miami has to be considered the odds on favorite right now for the number 1 pick. I think the loser of this weekends Colts/KC matchup will be setting themselves up well for the number 2 pick and Minnesota coming in at 3 and St. Louis 4th and the Bengals maybe 5th.

does anybody know how it works if there is a tie? Say us and the Rams for example both go 0-16. What is the determining factor? I would think point spread differential, but I do not know for sure. Does anybody here know?

If there are two teams tied for the worst record, and they didn't play head-to-head, then the tie-breaker is determined by strength of schedule. The team with the weakest schedule gets the top pick.

Colts 0-4

Vikings 0-4

Rams 0-4

Miami 0-4

Looks like we will be fighting with Miami for the first pick. I think the Vikings are much better than that record whenever they realize that Mcnabb runs out of gas every game.

I would think that the Seahawks, Jaguars, Chiefs and Broncos also belong in the conversation.

I don't know who the worst is, but I suspect that in the end (baring FURTHER injury) the Colts won't be in the running at all.

Good. Let them have Luck. I would much rather have Kellen Moore. Have we been over looking him? Kellen is in the running for the most TD passes in college football history. I don't see how he is not as good if not better than Andrew Luck. But I guess that's my opinion. Watching him tonight, this guy is on fire. He is accurate, and smart about the way he runs the boise state offense. He would make a true heir to Peyton.

Good. Let them have Luck. I would much rather have Kellen Moore. Have we been over looking him? Kellen is in the running for the most TD passes in college football history. I don't see how he is not as good if not better than Andrew Luck. But I guess that's my opinion. Watching him tonight, this guy is on fire. He is accurate, and smart about the way he runs the boise state offense. He would make a true heir to Peyton.

If the Colts don't draft one of the top 3 QBs, then I think it's much more likely they'd go with Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill or Nick Foles. If it came down to Robert Griffin and Kellen Moore I'd take Griffin due to his arm strength and he's a few inches taller. Personally though I think Moore and Griffin are the more likely of this group to never be more than a backup in the NFL. I'd add Cousins to that as well because I haven't been dazzled or anything in watching him play so far, but I think the Colts would be more likely to look at him than Moore or Griffin.

If the Colts don't draft one of the top 3 QBs, then I think it's much more likely they'd go with Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill or Nick Foles. If it came down to Robert Griffin and Kellen Moore I'd take Griffin due to his arm strength and he's a few inches taller. Personally though I think Moore and Griffin are the more likely of this group to never be more than a backup in the NFL. I'd add Cousins to that as well because I haven't been dazzled or anything in watching him play so far, but I think the Colts would be more likely to look at him than Moore or Griffin.

The top 5 college football quarterbacks:

1. Jake Locker

2. Andrew Luck

3. Kellen Moore

4. Ryan Mallett

5. Terrell Pryor

Jake Locker by a landslide, and Andrew and Kellen are very close.

I LOVE, and when I say that, I mean LOVE Kellen Moore, in college. If he can get stronger, he can become really good, because he has the intangibles. He just has a noodle arm.

Of the teams in the hunt for the No. 1 pick, you would have to think that teams like the Vikings or Bengals or St. Louis wouldn't be interested in Luck. Miami will jump all over luck as would KC. Miami has to be considered the odds on favorite right now for the number 1 pick. I think the loser of this weekends Colts/KC matchup will be setting themselves up well for the number 2 pick and Minnesota coming in at 3 and St. Louis 4th and the Bengals maybe 5th.

Yeah, the teams that are set on the QB they have would want to trade down for an arm and a leg in picks from whatever team is desperate to get Luck. I hope that we aren't that team, b/c it would cripple us, hamper us from getting the help we need in our defense and another good WR. If we get the first pick and take Luck that's one thing (though I hope we don't) but for us to make sacrifices at other positions to take him would be stupid! There are other decent options for a BACKUP QB.

I am really, really hoping we end up with the 1st pick in the draft! What we could get in return for that pick could amount to, by far, the biggest trade in NFL history! It could load our team with enough talent to make us perennial super bowl contenders for the next ten years. It could give us the makings of the next great NFL dynasty! I don't like to see us lose, but the payoff for doing so could be immense. If we keep playing like we have the last two weeks for the rest of the season, that'd be great, as far as I'm concerned. The last two games have been very entertaining to watch cause we've made plays and kept it competitive. They've been perfect loses... We get to see an entertaining game, but in the end we lose and increase our chances of landing that #1 pick. So here's to 12 more close, competitive, entertaining games resulting in a Colts lose!

Edited by jackbutton96

1. Jake Locker

2. Andrew Luck

3. Kellen Moore

4. Ryan Mallett

5. Terrell Pryor

Im confused by this. Are you aware that its 2011? Locker, Mallett, and Pryor are all in the NFL already.

1. Jake Locker

2. Andrew Luck

3. Kellen Moore

4. Ryan Mallett

5. Terrell Pryor

Did you experience some sort of massive head trauma sometime over the last year or something?

Edited by jackbutton96

So was Colt Brennan. And Graham Harrell.

Testimony to the fact that spread offense QBs... prolific as they may be in college.... rarely achieve anything close to that level of success in the NFL.

Tim Couch.... David Klingler... Ryan Leaf.... Tim Tebow.... the list goes on.

Statistics alone of gimmick offense QBs are historically a bad barometer to gauge a prospect by.

I hope with every ounce of football love that I have that we don't get Andrew Luck. I'm serious. Unless he somehow falls to the 2nd round and costs us nothing (a la Rodgers), or we get him cheap in a trade (a la Young, Brees, etc.), he's a giant waste for the Colts.

He is starting material. He is "save this franchise" material. We aren't looking for either of those things.

A 2nd or 3rd rounder in the mold of Ryan Mallett (his ability, not his persona) would be much more akin to the developmental material we need.

All that we need now is for Manning to return to practice for a while so we know what our situation is. Spending $6 million a year on a QB to sit on the bench is not a good deal for us; especially not as a "just in case" insurance policy.

1. Jake Locker

2. Andrew Luck

3. Kellen Moore

4. Ryan Mallett

5. Terrell Pryor

This is a failure post on a level I cant even concieve. Wow. Googleing for a list and found last years huh?

Good teams are ALWAYS looking for those.

Thank you.

By the way, for all those that always say Polian drafts BPA and not immediate need, why don't that same philosophy apply this yr. if we have the #1 pick? Luck is by far BPA and if they have the 1st pick Polian won't pass on him unless he gets offered a deal he absolutey can not refuse.

Thank you.

By the way, for all those that always say Polian drafts BPA and not immediate need, why don't that same philosophy apply this yr. if we have the #1 pick? Luck is by far BPA and if they have the 1st pick Polian won't pass on him unless he gets offered a deal he absolutey can not refuse.

Well for one that was Bill Polian not Chris. Also, take into account that since the team started getting good after the drafting of Manning, they've always been drafting in the late first round where it's much more difficult to target a specific player or position because so much can happen leading up to your late round pick. With the #1 pick overall, we simply don't have any one position that is in that dire of need that would require a #1 overall pick but we have several positions that would benefit from a good to great player that could be acquired later first round or in the second round. We could easily trade down twice, wind up with either 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks this year or 1 first round pick and 3 second round picks this year, and that's not including the additional later round picks this year as well as additional picks next year with the very high likely hood we wind up with 2 first round picks next year if not 3.

Good teams are ALWAYS looking for those.

I think doogan meant day 1 starting material, not just starting material in general. So, Luck is day 1 starter and save the franchise type of guy. Everyone wants us to draft a QB to groom behind Peyton for 2-4 years (all depending on Manning's ability to play out his contract of course) therefore the Colts do not need a day 1 starter nor are they looking for anyone to save the franchise. I'll say again, no team has ever used a #1 pick on a QB with the intention of said QB riding the bench for 3-4 years.....at least not in the past 20 years. This is one precedent I would prefer the Colts NOT set.

I think doogan meant day 1 starting material, not just starting material in general. So, Luck is day 1 starter and save the franchise type of guy. Everyone wants us to draft a QB to groom behind Peyton for 2-4 years (all depending on Manning's ability to play out his contract of course) therefore the Colts do not need a day 1 starter nor are they looking for anyone to save the franchise.

Lol, really? Every team is looking for save the franchise talent. Seriously, how ridiculous it that position? Here is an ultimate, franchise saving talent...let's pass. Let's take someone else. They're not good enough to save a franchise like this other guy, but hey we're not looking for someone THAT good.

I can understand not thinking if he's good enough. But assuming he is "franchise saving" and passing is just absurd.

I'll say again, no team has ever used a #1 pick on a QB with the intention of said QB riding the bench for 3-4 years.....at least not in the past 20 years. This is one precedent I would prefer the Colts NOT set.

That is faulty logic. No other team has had a QB like Manning and gotten the #1OVR pick. That's like saying "No team has ever drafted a QB named Andrew Luck in the NFL Draft so I hope we don't take him, even if he's there in the 7th round."

It has never happened because that fact pattern has never arisen, not because it's a bad idea.

Lol, really? Every team is looking for save the franchise talent. Seriously, how ridiculous it that position? Here is an ultimate, franchise saving talent...let's pass. Let's take someone else. They're not good enough to save a franchise like this other guy, but hey we're not looking for someone THAT good.

I can understand not thinking if he's good enough. But assuming he is "franchise saving" and passing is just absurd.

No sir...not every team is looking for "franchise saving" talent. Teams that are looking for someone to save their franchise are teams who's franchise is in the beginning of a complete makeover or rebuilding process. A team that has consistently been at the bottom of the barrel for too long and who is trying to turn their franchise around. We are not at that stage...yes we're at the bottom of the barrel this year but this year is an anomaly, not the norm. We're looking for the next franchise QB, not someone to come in and "save" the franchise. We need someone to come in to learn the system behind Manning and work in the system....not someone who we're going to bring in and completely re-build the team around. We're looking for a QB to groom over time, not come in and be the man from day 1. Did Green Bay bring in Rodgers to save their franchise? No..they brought in Rodgers to continue running their already successful franchise when Favre moved on. Same of San Fran with Young. Same for the Colts now. If you can't see the differences here then I don't know any easier ways to put it.

That is faulty logic. No other team has had a QB like Manning and gotten the #1OVR pick. That's like saying "No team has ever drafted a QB named Andrew Luck in the NFL Draft so I hope we don't take him, even if he's there in the 7th round."

It has never happened because that fact pattern has never arisen, not because it's a bad idea.

Yeah, that's not the same thing, even a little bit. No team has used a #1 pick on a guy who they intentionally wouldn't see any playing time from for 3-4 years because that's not what you want or expect from a #1 pick....heck not a top 15-20 pick imo. If you want a QB to take over now or within 1 year at most, then take Luck. If you think Manning will play out his contract then you pick a guy with equal or comparable physical and mental tools but just hasn't quite put them perfectly together yet. A developmental QB...just like Young, Rodgers and Brady were. These guys were not brought in with the expectation that they would eclipse their predecessor...they were brought in to continue running an already successful franchise.

Edited by Jason

No sir...not every team is looking for "franchise saving" talent. Teams that are looking for someone to save their franchise are teams who's franchise is in the beginning of a complete makeover or rebuilding process. A team that has consistently been at the bottom of the barrel for too long and who is trying to turn their franchise around. We are not at that stage...yes we're at the bottom of the barrel this year but this year is an anomaly, not the norm. We're looking for the next franchise QB, not someone to come in and "save" the franchise. We need someone to come in to learn the system behind Manning and work in the system....not someone who we're going to bring in and completely re-build the team around. We're looking for a QB to groom over time, not come in and be the man from day 1. Did Green Bay bring in Rodgers to save their franchise? No..they brought in Rodgers to continue running their already successful franchise when Favre moved on. Same of San Fran with Young. Same for the Colts now. If you can't see the differences here then I don't know any easier ways to put it.

So then Manning can turn any old QB into a franchise QB? There is no risk than any of the 1st round QB's bust?

You see "most NFL ready QB" as taking more than we need, presumedly because of some assumption that any QB we take can be groomed to be the next franchise QB. I see "most NFL ready QB" as indicating he's the furthest along in his professional development, which means there's less he can bust on.

I don't believe that 3-4 years of training under Manning can just make any QB a top-level QB. I want the guy that's the furthest along because not only does he have less to learn (which means less of a chance to bust), but it means he can work on other things so that he has a higher ceiling. Instead of having to learn the basics because he's less "NFL Ready", he can focus on more advanced training and preparation, which means 3-4 years down the road, when the lesser talent is "NFL Ready", he can be "NFL Advanced". You seem to think that all the QB's will get to "NFL Ready" and just stop so that they are all equal 3-4 years later. I disagree with that premise.

Yeah, that's not the same thing, even a little bit. No team has used a #1 pick on a guy who they intentionally wouldn't see any playing time from for 3-4 years because that's not what you want or expect from a #1 pick....heck not a top 15-20 pick imo. If you want a QB to take over now or within 1 year at most, then take Luck. If you think Manning will play out his contract then you pick a guy with equal or comparable physical and mental tools but just hasn't quite put them perfectly together yet. A developmental QB...just like Young, Rodgers and Brady were. These guys were not brought in with the expectation that they would eclipse their predecessor...they were brought in to continue running an already successful franchise.

Find me a team in the last 20 years that had the #1 OVR pick that had an elite, franchise QB with 3-4 years left that went the other direction and took someone else when there was a highly viewed QB prospect. If you cannot, your argument that "no one else has done it so we shouldn't either" doesn't hold water.

At least someone has seriously considered my points and countered with valid, logical reasoning other than "no man they say Luck is the best so that's clearly what we have to do". For that, I thank you.

You see "most NFL ready QB" as taking more than we need, presumedly because of some assumption that any QB we take can be groomed to be the next franchise QB. I see "most NFL ready QB" as indicating he's the furthest along in his professional development, which means there's less he can bust on.

No, that's not what I said. Of course there are going to be busts and not just "any" QB can be groomed into a quality franchise QB. The point is, the Colts are in a position to look at more than just someone who is NFL ready from day 1. We can look closely at all QB propsects...see how effective they are given the team they have around them. Look at the type of throws they make on a game to game basis. Look at their pocket presence, ability to side step pressure, ability to throw on the run, ability to read through progressions and take the dump off pass instead of forcing the ball, are they throwing the ball to the right spot in coverage or are they throwing mostly to receivers who have beaten man coverage? We can closely examine all of these and many other aspects and not just take the guy who everyone says is ready to start now.

So I guess here is the best way I can think to put it....we're all going by the assumption that Manning will be back to play out at least the majority of his career...I've said numerous times as have the others on the "trade back" wagon that if Manning cannot return then everything changes....so we're assuming 2-4 years to be able to work with the new qB.....so, would you take the guy who's the "next Manning" with #1 pick knowing we don't need him to be the next Manning, or do you take a calculated risk on a guy like say Ryan Tannehil or Nick Foles who, with some very minor improvements, could be groomed to be the next Philip Rivers by year 2-3 which is when we'd need him to start knowing we also pick up anywhere from 2-5 additional mid round picks this year PLUS the potential for 1-2 additional first round picks next year and possible an extra mid round pick or 2 next year as well? I'm not saying to pass up on Luck because Peyton can groom "anyone" into the next franchise QB. I'm saying that, with Manning returning for 2-4 years then we have the luxury of being able to take a calculated risk on a guy who's not as NFL ready considering the additional talent we could acquire with the multitude of additional picks.

Find me a team in the last 20 years that had the #1 OVR pick that had an elite, franchise QB with 3-4 years left that went the other direction and took someone else when there was a highly viewed QB prospect. If you cannot, your argument that "no one else has done it so we shouldn't either" doesn't hold water.

Valid point...however my point still holds more water than you claim and here's why....people are constantly comparing Manning/Luck to Montana/Young, Favre/Rodgers, Bledsoe/Brady. Only one of these teams went out and spent their first round pick on the next QB and that was GB with Rodgers and theirs was a late first round pick. I don't believe for a second (though this is merely my opinion) that if GB has the #1 pick overall in that draft they would still have drafted a QB. So the only team that paid anywhere close to the price we'd pay to get Luck was GB with a #24th overall pick. San Fran picked up a QB from another team and NE spent a late round pick for Brady. Neither team was so desperate to find the next franchise QB that they used a first round pick to do so because they knew they could take a more calculated risk on a guy with a lot of talent that just needed some good coaching to make him elite.

Edited by Jason

does anybody know how it works if there is a tie? Say us and the Rams for example both go 0-16. What is the determining factor? I would think point spread differential, but I do not know for sure. Does anybody here know?

i believe its a coin flip, but i could be wrong