Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if the Colts had drafted Ryan Leaf in 98 ?

ÅÐØNϧ 1

We would not know what the postseason is like and would probably have went through another first round type bust that was in between Peyton and Luck.... thats the odds... you know maybe like a Brady Quinn type guy or something would have been here from all the years of finishing last. The Chargers were very lucky to move on fast from Leaf, into brees then Rivers.

Could have easily been us with no Brees or Rivers. Good God I dont want to even think of it. We might not even have a team anymore

We would not know what the postseason is like and would probably have went through another first round type bust that was in between Peyton and Luck.... thats the odds... you know maybe like a Brady Quinn type guy or something would have been here from all the years of finishing last. The Chargers were very lucky to move on fast from Leaf, into brees then Rivers.

Could have easily been us with no Brees or Rivers. Good God I dont want to even think of it. We might not even have a team anymore

I never understood why they got rid of Drew Brees   . I liked him coming outta Purdue & am not 1 bit surprised by his success . Rivers has looked pretty good but the Saints got the Lombardi  .  And then Eli  did'nt want to play in San Diego . 2 SB winning QB's  elsewhere  I'm sure theres some Charger fans with some what ifs .. :goodluck: 

I never understood why they got rid of Drew Brees   . I liked him coming outta Purdue & am not 1 bit surprised by his success . Rivers has looked pretty good but the Saints got the Lombardi  .  And then Eli  did'nt want to play in San Diego . 2 SB winning QB's  elsewhere  I'm sure theres some Charger fans with some what ifs .. :goodluck: 

Bree's had the shoulder injury. On paper, Rivers looks like the better guy. Bigger, better arm, etc.

The Dolphins are the team that really blew it. They chose Culpepper's knee over Drew's shoulder.

They're (Dolphins) a classic example of how a team can be mediocre for so long without a franchise QB. Tannyhill has a lot on his shoulders.

Neither Eli or Brees would have won a SB in SD.....not with Norv Turner as coach.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I think the whole debate was made up to build more anticipation.  I remember when they asked Peyton how long he knew he would be the #1 pick, he said "I can keep a secret too".    It was a no brainer.  Just as I don't think there was much doubt Luck over RGIII despite the media's love affair.

Anyways, had we drafted Leaf, we might be talking about he LA Colts right now.

If the Colts had drafted Leaf they would have been 0 for 40 in Super Bowl wins during the Irsay years, and may have been the Los Angeles Colts. This could have been a real possibility because there would have been no turn around from the Bob Irsay years, attendance would have kept going down, and the there may not have been support for a new stadium. If this sounds eerily familar, think 1983, Elway, and another city, in another time. 

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I think the whole debate was made up to build more anticipation.  I remember when they asked Peyton how long he knew he would be the #1 pick, he said "I can keep a secret too".    It was a no brainer.  Just as I don't think there was much doubt Luck over RGIII despite the media's love affair.

Anyways, had we drafted Leaf, we might be talking about he LA Colts right now.

I was very close to a coach on the Colt staff in those years . He left when Mora was canned and now has a pretty big job with another AFC team. So one could figure the guy out if interested.

The deal was this. As you say it was a no brainer. In fact it's been played up a bit years after by Polian as he wants to make it sound as if he made a great decision.

Anyway ... Mora loved Manning , Irsay loved Manning and Polian was the guy that liked big strong armed QB's. I was told that during the process it was pretty much always Manning as Irsay and Mora were dead set on him and Poiian was probably leaning that way also. About a week before the draft , they made it official (to themselves ) that Manning would be the pick. But the whole thing was due diligence and like you say was played up to be a bigger decision than it was.

they traaded him after he tore up shoulder and needed surgery 

& if remembered this happened near or at season's end

Injeither case rivers was sitting for so long and at seasons end had too make a decision, the injury is what sealed who would go

We probably would have Eli as our qb....actually he probably wouldn't have come here because we turned down Peyton and we would still be the laughing stock of the NFL. I do know I would have missed a great decade or more of fantastic, exciting football....and probably the most exciting qb to ever play the game. We also probably would never been in position to take AL but probably stuck in mediocrity like Miami forever.