Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

so williams is our fastest running back

Stephen

According to his combine stats, Williams is not faster than Brown.

Yeah, but it's a lot different when you put on pads. Some guys have better game speed than combine speed. Not saying one way or another if Williams is faster or not, just pointing that combine stats don't mean everything 

According to his combine stats, Williams is not faster than Brown.

Straight line speed, Williams is faster according to combine results, by 0.03 seconds.

Although Brown did have better times in the 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle.

Despite the glaring issues in his game, Brown is an extemely elusive player.

Straight line speed, Williams is faster according to combine results, by 0.03 seconds.

Although Brown did have better times in the 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle.

Yeah, so elusive sometimes that he confuses even himself. If he stops all the dancing in the backfield, he could be a decent back

Depends where you look. According to these sites, Brown was a hair faster. But I agree, that's just a tool to use and doesn't reflect on how fast they are while playing football.

I've said from the beginning that I won't get excited about Williams until I see him play against NFL caliber players. We all had high hopes for Devon Moore until we saw him play big boy football. I'd love to see Williams succeed, but I'm not penciling him in on the 53 just yet.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Donald&l=Brown&i=8150

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kerwynn-williams?id=2539980

Depends where you look. According to these sites, Brown was a hair faster. But I agree, that's just a tool to use and doesn't reflect on how fast they are while playing football.

I've said from the beginning that I won't get excited about Williams until I see him play against NFL caliber players. We all had high hopes for Devon Moore until we saw him play big boy football. I'd love to see Williams succeed, but I'm not penciling him in on the 53 just yet.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Donald&l=Brown&i=8150

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kerwynn-williams?id=2539980

I was using NFL.com for both of them, either way it is a fairly irrelevant difference.

Just hits home how physically impressive Brown is consdering he is 210lbs and can move as well, if not better than a guy like Kerwynn Williams. Shame he can't bring it on to the field more constructively and consistently.

I was using NFL.com for both of them, either way it is a fairly irrelevant difference.

Just hits home how physically impressive Brown is consdering he is 210lbs and can move as well, if not better than a guy like Kerwynn Williams. Shame he can't bring it on to the field more constructively and consistently.

I completely agree. A guy with his measurables should be a powerful, fast, explosive runner, ie a clear-cut starter. 

Williams is more explosive than DB. Brown is fast but Williams has a burst of speed when he takes off that may prove to be more elusive than Brown. He doesnt stutter step he just shoots out and is gone. Like full speed in 2 steps.

Are you judging this on his college play or his day in camp? I think Williams played against one major college team last year and was stuffed.

I'm not trying to put the kid down, but I'm going to wait and see how he plays against NFL talent before I can make an assessment.

Are you judging this on his college play or his day in camp? I think Williams played against one major college team last year and was stuffed.

I'm not trying to put the kid down, but I'm going to wait and see how he plays against NFL talent before I can make an assessment.

Just what I saw of him in camp yesterday. I know nothing of his college days. I am not saying he will be a great back either, just his abilities. I know it all changes with pads and contact. But there were big holes to run through yesterday for all the backs. Im not knocking DB he looked good as well. But this kid is full speed on his 2nd step.

Just what I saw of him in camp yesterday. I know nothing of his college days. I am not saying he will be a great back either, just his abilities. I know it all changes with pads and contact. But there were big holes to run through yesterday for all the backs. Im not knocking DB he looked good as well. But this kid is full speed on his 2nd step.

Good to know.  Yes, it's early but it's great that he's passing the eye test.  I think I saw him play one game (the bowl game) on TV and he was outstanding.  But then I looked back to see how he played in their losses against Wisconsin and BYU and he was stuffed as a runner.  However, he was effective as a receiver.  Open field type of guy.

Good to know.  Yes, it's early but it's great that he's passing the eye test.  I think I saw him play one game (the bowl game) on TV and he was outstanding.  But then I looked back to see how he played in their losses against Wisconsin and BYU and he was stuffed as a runner.  However, he was effective as a receiver.  Open field type of guy.

I hope he adds to our stable of backs, I think he may be used as a punt returner or on special teams. Or he could be a bust,but looks very capable to me at this point in his short time here. He looks like he could be dangerous in space like you said here.

I'm pretty sure they want Williams for our kickoff returns this year, I think he'll be outstanding in that role!

He has to be, in order to make the team.  I really doubt we'll carry 4 RBs and a FB so a few guys have to go.  It's going to hard to unseat the 3Bs.  

He has to be, in order to make the team.  I really doubt we'll carry 4 RBs and a FB so a few guys have to go.  It's going to hard to unseat the 3Bs.

How in the world is it hard to unseat DB? Grigson has already let players go who we're way better than Donald Brown. DB is not one of his guys and Ballard, Bradshaw and Williams are. Add the fact that he is injured a lot and not that productive, it would be very easy to let him go.

How in the world is it hard to unseat DB? Grigson has already let players go who we're way better than Donald Brown. DB is not one of his guys and Ballard, Bradshaw and Williams are. Add the fact that he is injured a lot and not that productive, it would be very easy to let him go.

Key word - injury.  If he's healthy, he's better than Ballard.  Obviously better than Carter. 

And speaking of healthy, can we expect Bradshaw to play all season?  Has he ever?  

So, if we're going to carry 3 RBs and a FB, do you really think one is going to be a rookie who hasn't had success running the ball against some of their better competition in college?  Sure, he may be good in the open field, let's see him running against an NFL D.

So, tell me, who unseats Brown?

You always need special teams guys, and he was very good on kickoff returns in college, if he doesn't do it you tell me who is?

You always need special teams guys, and he was very good on kickoff returns in college, if he doesn't do it you tell me who is?

Lefeged can kneel down in the endzone as well as anyone.  All kidding aside, I'm saying that he has to be outstanding as a KRer if he's going to make the team.  But let's say he does.  How many RBs do we carry, and who are they?

Lefeged can kneel down in the endzone as well as anyone.  All kidding aside, I'm saying that he has to be outstanding as a KRer if he's going to make the team.  But let's say he does.  How many RBs do we carry, and who are they?

Brazill did most of the returns yesterday. Lefedge had a support of some kind on his right ankle and I didnt see him working out any. Didnt know he was hurt. Maybe just a sprain or something. Didnt  see anyone else mention it here, hope just minor precautionary treatment.

I still can't figure out how we let Deji Karim leave, have'nt seen anyone on the Colts do that well on kickoffs in many years, I really feel Williams can kind of be like a poor mans Darren Sproyles, and I don't see anyone else on the team that has that explosive capability on kickoff returns that Williams does. I think the Colts will be sorry if they don't have him return kickoffs, it will most likely be 15 yards and a cloud of dust again like wev'e seen for many years. By getting Bradshaw who is very good at punching the ball in in goal line situations, I think there may not be a need for Carter or Havili, so I would carry 4 running backs Ballard, Bradshaw, Brown and Williams.

Key word - injury.  If he's healthy, he's better than Ballard.  Obviously better than Carter. 

And speaking of healthy, can we expect Bradshaw to play all season?  Has he ever?  

So, if we're going to carry 3 RBs and a FB, do you really think one is going to be a rookie who hasn't had success running the ball against some of their better competition in college?  Sure, he may be good in the open field, let's see him running against an NFL D.

In an interview, Reggie said there was only him, Mathis and Bethea as holdovers from the old regime. The fact he didn't even mention Donald Brown is all you need to know.

Not all 5'10" 210lbs is the same.......Brown is VERY thin......I got his autograph last year at TC here in Anderson and I seriously think 5'10" is a slight stretch and maybe even 210, He looked the size of a Junior High kid to me, He is muscular but still muscle doesn't equal thickness all the time, He needs to eat some in my opinion put on about 10 more pounds so that he is harder to bring down

In an interview, Reggie said there was only him, Mathis and Bethea as holdovers from the old regime. The fact he didn't even mention Donald Brown is all you need to know.

So, is AV gone too?  Tell Castonzo to load up the bus out of town and pick up Link, Angerer, Connor...   you get my point.

We'll have to wait and see, I'd love for Williams to turn out to be our bottle rocket.  I just don't see how we get rid of Brown unless he injured, but I've been wrong once or twice before.

There are going to be some very interesting roster battles in camp.  Can't wait!

I like DB, but Williams unseating Brown would surprise very few I would think.

Funny how 1 year changes things. Last year we were all worried about who we had at runningback. We even signed a cpl off the streets. This year we are talking about cutting last years #1 back when we started the season. Grigs has sure changed the look of the COLTS in FA and the draft in 1 year. This is a good problem to have for a change:) Competetion everywhere all over both sides of the ball. Gotta love our new front office.

If Williams is the best returner in camp and shows explosiveness running the ball , he is a cinch to make the team. BTW , he had over 500 yards of receiving in just his senior season , so it would appear that he can run routes and catch the ball ot of the backfield. 

So here's the deal IMO. If you have a poor mans D. Spolles , he's brings an element that no other back has. He might see 5 plays a game , maybe some games even less , but he would present another dimension for teams to defense. I understand what many are saying about Brown. Yes , he's the 3rd best when Bradshaw is healthy and 2nd best when he's not. Problem with that thinking is Grigson may go with the best combination of backs according to what they bring to the table. That could mean Brown on the outside looking in. I really don't know and I agree with you that only 3 make it. But it could be possible if Williams returns both punts and kick offs , it might be 4 ?

If Williams is the best returner in camp and shows explosiveness running the ball , he is a cinch to make the team. BTW , he had over 500 yards of receiving in just his senior season , so it would appear that he can run routes and catch the ball ot of the backfield. 

So here's the deal IMO. If you have a poor mans D. Spolles , he's brings an element that no other back has. He might see 5 plays a game , maybe some games even less , but he would present another dimension for teams to defense. I understand what many are saying about Brown. Yes , he's the 3rd best when Bradshaw is healthy and 2nd best when he's not. Problem with that thinking is Grigson may go with the best combination of backs according to what they bring to the table. That could mean Brown on the outside looking in. I really don't know and I agree with you that only 3 make it. But it could be possible if Williams returns both punts and kick offs , it might be 4 ?

Very well could turn out exactly like that.  Here's my alternate scenario:

Williams hasn't shown that he could run against even mid level college competition.  I don't see how he magically becomes a decent RB in the pros.  (BTW, Sproles was a very good RB in college against major talent)  He's definitely a threat in the open field.  So, he's the guy on bubble screens and our returner, at best.

However, the KR position is devalued.  Most teams kick it deep in the endzone, and if the returner is a real threat, they won't kick it to him.  Brazil or Whalen can handle the punt return duty.  Brown and Bradshaw are good receivers, and more importantly, good blockers.  I don't know if Williams can block at all.

The 3Bs are all proven NFL RBs.  If healthy, I think they all make the teams. Coaches love talent and experience, no argument there.

So, IMHO, if the Colts like Williams and you don't see much of him in the preseason games, they want to sneak him on to the PS.  If you see him a lot and he looks really good, I think he has a mysterious injury that forces him to go on IR.

Just a guess, I've been known to be wrong in the past.

So, is AV gone too?  Tell Castonzo to load up the bus out of town and pick up Link, Angerer, Connor...   you get my point.

We'll have to wait and see, I'd love for Williams to turn out to be our bottle rocket.  I just don't see how we get rid of Brown unless he injured, but I've been wrong once or twice before.

There are going to be some very interesting roster battles in camp.  Can't wait!

Whoops, he did mention AV. I knew there was another. Yep, he mentioned the kicker and not Brown.

Very well could turn out exactly like that.  Here's my alternate scenario:

Williams hasn't shown that he could run against even mid level college competition.  I don't see how he magically becomes a decent RB in the pros.  (BTW, Sproles was a very good RB in college against major talent)  He's definitely a threat in the open field.  So, he's the guy on bubble screens and our returner, at best.

However, the KR position is devalued.  Most teams kick it deep in the endzone, and if the returner is a real threat, they won't kick it to him.  Brazil or Whalen can handle the punt return duty.  Brown and Bradshaw are good receivers, and more importantly, good blockers.  I don't know if Williams can block at all.

The 3Bs are all proven NFL RBs.  If healthy, I think they all make the teams. Coaches love talent and experience, no argument there.

So, IMHO, if the Colts like Williams and you don't see much of him in the preseason games, they want to sneak him on to the PS.  If you see him a lot and he looks really good, I think he has a mysterious injury that forces him to go on IR.

Just a guess, I've been known to be wrong in the past.

Very possible and maybe that's the reason Williams was there in the 7th round. One question though... when you say he didn't prove he coud runagainst even "mid level " competition , do you mean in the conference he was in ? If not , the I would answer by saying this is always the case with players from the lessor conference. But if you are talking about his college stats , he did run for around 1500 yards in his senior year and catch another 500 yards in passes. So he certainly proved he could run at the level he was at. As far as the Sproles comparison , yes and thats why i say "a poor man's." You also left out the possibility he could return punts also and we have lacked an explosive player there for years. Although it's very possible they leave TY there as he started to look pretty good later in the year.

Very possible and maybe that's the reason Williams was there in the 7th round. One question though... when you say he didn't prove he coud runagainst even "mid level " competition , do you mean in the conference he was in ? If not , the I would answer by saying this is always the case with players from the lessor conference. But if you are talking about his college stats , he did run for around 1500 yards in his senior year and catch another 500 yards in passes. So he certainly proved he could run at the level he was at. As far as the Sproles comparison , yes and thats why i say "a poor man's." You also left out the possibility he could return punts also and we have lacked an explosive player there for years. Although it's very possible they leave TY there as he started to look pretty good later in the year.

When I look at stats of players from the lower level conferences, I check how they did when they played against the major college teams.  Utah State played Wisconsin and BYU, and neither were especially good.  Williams had rush averages of 2.7 and 1.3.  He was effective catching the ball.  

You're correct in saying that's not on him, more on his team being out manned by bigger schools.  All along I've been saying we really don't know what he has until the preseason.  And yes, he tore up the teams in his conference.  "Quick as a hiccup"

This is from a WalterFootball report of the East West Shrine game: "Another player that impressed was Utah State running back Kerwynn Williams. He ran the ball pretty well even those his totals (8-28) didn't really reflect it. He also had a 38-yard kick return and some good runs. Williams (5-8, 196) may not get drafted but he could be a good signing as an undrafted free agent."

Can't wait to see if he's the real thing.  Until then, everyone should check him out when they played Auburn in 2011.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/09/pics-utah-state-almost-upsets-auburn-but-kerwin-williams-hair-is-just-upsetting/

Letting other players go better than DB?  Not on the RB position. Training camp hasn't even started yet and none of us wanna be coaches know what the real coaches are going to do. There will be 37 players cut between now and the start of the season. One thing no one has mentioned. The injury factor. Very seldom does 90 players go through training camp and preseason and not suffer a serious injury. 

You ask a question that can't be answered at this point. None of us shade tree GMs know what the real GM is going to do. Too many unanswered questions at this point. Training camp and preseason will determine who stays and who goes. 

When I look at stats of players from the lower level conferences, I check how they did when they played against the major college teams.  Utah State played Wisconsin and BYU, and neither were especially good.  Williams had rush averages of 2.7 and 1.3.  He was effective catching the ball.  

You're correct in saying that's not on him, more on his team being out manned by bigger schools.  All along I've been saying we really don't know what he has until the preseason.  And yes, he tore up the teams in his conference.  "Quick as a hiccup"

This is from a WalterFootball report of the East West Shrine game: "Another player that impressed was Utah State running back Kerwynn Williams. He ran the ball pretty well even those his totals (8-28) didn't really reflect it. He also had a 38-yard kick return and some good runs. Williams (5-8, 196) may not get drafted but he could be a good signing as an undrafted free agent."

Can't wait to see if he's the real thing.  Until then, everyone should check him out when they played Auburn in 2011.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/09/pics-utah-state-almost-upsets-auburn-but-kerwin-williams-hair-is-just-upsetting/

You're a good man Smonroe but Wisconsin and BYU are not Mid level college teams.... Anyway , I think your giving Williams his just due.

Williams hasn't shown that he could run against even mid level college competition.  I don't see how he magically becomes a decent RB in the pros.