Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA's Recap: 1st Session

TKnight24

I found it interesting that BR agreed with some of the forum members about the Laron Landry situation

if this is what landry does every off-season then theres no point in getting mad over it. hes gonna be in indy in a couple of weeks for mini camp anyway

if this is what landry does every off-season then theres no point in getting mad over it. hes gonna be in indy in a couple of weeks for mini camp anyway

Well I'm one of the ones who don't care or see a problem with what Landry is doing. He's working out everyday. The only negative is he is missing a chance to build chemistry and learn the playbook some.

But he's doing productive things on his own so I don't mind. Now if he was at home playing PS3 instead of being at OTA's, then that's a different story and I'd have a problem with that

Landry should be in Indy for these OTAs. 

It would give him more time to get familiar with the other players on D...Communication and knowing what the other DBs are likely doing takes time.

thats what training camp and the preseason is for

I wouldn't be upset if Landry misses the next OTA's and doesn't show until it's Mandatory.

But I'm just soo excited to see him & Bethea working together

I am sure he has the new playbook in hand....that is the only reason I condone it.  Get in here with Toler, Davis and Bethea and make this secondary special....

Dude your guns are big enough   haha  :spit:

I'm more concerned with all the guys held out for medical concerns. I know guys are still rehabbing and these are only OTAs but if there not able to run around in shorts without hitting, how are they going to do in camp?

I'm more concerned with all the guys held out for medical concerns. I know guys are still rehabbing and these are only OTAs but if there not able to run around in shorts without hitting, how are they going to do in camp?

Delone Carter better get his butt in gear...he may get cut THIS year.  Injuries again?  Hang-nail....thumb again?  Hurt himself playing tiddlywinks?  This is coming from Carter's biggest supporter!!!  If he is not ready....'he gone.'

Tiddlywinks-a-childrens-g-008.jpg

Delone Carter better get his butt in gear...he may get cut THIS year. Injuries again? Hang-nail....thumb again? Hurt himself playing tiddlywinks? This is coming from Carter's biggest supporter!!! If he is not ready....'he gone.'

I already have Carter being cut this season. He hasn't done anything for us. I have K Will taking his place

Toler has always been great as a dime CB but being the #2 CB on our team will be much harder, he has the ability and skillset to do it just has to stay healthy. I know Dax made  some good plays but Sheldon Price did as well. With Price size and speed i think he'll make the team, has great potential and would provide solid depth.

Toler has always been great as a dime CB but being the #2 CB on our team will be much harder, he has the ability and skillset to do it just has to stay healthy. I know Dax made some good plays but Sheldon Price did as well. With Price size and speed i think he'll make the team, has great potential and would provide solid depth.

Greg Toler was the #2 CB when Rodgers-Cromartie was in ARI

He'll do fine here as our #2

Greg Toler was the #2 CB when Rodgers-Cromartie was in ARI

He'll do fine here as our #2

He played in the slot the past 2 years William Gay and Richard Marshall were the starters. I do think he has the ability to be our #2 CB working with Pagano and Mike Gilhamer should bring the best out of him.

I already have Carter being cut this season. He hasn't done anything for us. I have K Will taking his place

If so...a major waste of talent...I wish I had that body to run over people.

The ONLY reason I see Carter staying at THIS point was Pagano alluding to him as a "bruising back between the tackles" just a couple of weeks ago.

I would really love to see what he can do behind a GOOD OL.....the last time we really saw him was a 62-7 Saints blow up...he had 80+ yards...but fumbled.  This is something that never happened at the Cuse.

The more time they spend together, the better though, surely?

If this is the way he does things and it will help him prepare form the season then I'm all for him skipping the OTAs and working out alone.

Ideally, I'd rather he was there.

Sure, but the workouts are voluntary. Reggie Wayne never comes to OTAs. 

If so...a major waste of talent...I wish I had that body to run over people.

The ONLY reason I see Carter staying at THIS point was Pagano alluding to him as a "bruising back between the tackles" just a couple of weeks ago.

I would really love to see what he can do behind a GOOD OL.....the last time we really saw him was a 62-7 Saints blow up...he had 80+ yards...but fumbled.  This is something that never happened at the Cuse.

Carter is built like a FB. And with us running FB's, I believe Carter has become expendable to us. And I see Ballard as the brusier while D. Brown & K Will can be the change of Pace guys

Carter is built like a FB. And with us running FB's, I believe Carter has become expendable to us. And I see Ballard as the brusier while D. Brown & K Will can be the change of Pace guys

Nothing will surprise me....and I am looking forward to seeing all of the backs with a decent line...all of them  :)

Nothing will surprise me....and I am looking forward to seeing all of the backs with a decent line...all of them   :)

It will be a breath of fresh air ,running behind a line that might actually move someone out of the way for a change instead of being pushed into the QB & RBs at the point of exchange  :excited:  :jump:

Landry should be in Indy for these OTAs.

I don't mind the notion of not showing up for voluntary workouts. However, I am disappointed in Landry. You get a chance to play for Pagano, knowing all that he is when it comes to coaching DBs and you don't try to soak up every second you get before opening day?

IMO it shows some pretty poor judgement. And I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

I don't mind the notion of not showing up for voluntary workouts. However, I am disappointed in Landry. You get a chance to play for Pagano, knowing all that he is when it comes to coaching DBs and you don't try to soak up every second you get before opening day?

IMO it shows some pretty poor judgement. And I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

He wont last long if it is,dont think Pagano would hesitate to park his derriere on the pines  :omg:

I thought this initially but I think it's lazy to just assume he's not turning up because he doesn't feel like it.

If this is the way LaRon Landry prepares for a season in the NFL then so be it. If this is what it takes for him to be ready then that's just his process, everybody's is different.

It would be interesting to know whether or not he attended the Jets OTAs.

I don't think that's a good argument.

If I was Chuck or Grigson, I'd hate to think that one of my players didn't turn up simply because he didn't have to.

It's a good chance to get in some extra preparation, mandatory or not.

Then don't call it voluntary.

If the players have the right to choose whether they are going to be at a voluntary event, then I don't think they should be criticized for not showing up. That's just my opinion, by the way, but there's a lot of angst over whether a player is at a voluntary event, and I just don't get it.

If Landry -- or any other player who isn't at these voluntary workouts -- doesn't show up to camp in shape and ready to perform, then maybe we can trace it back to him missing OTAs, but I doubt that will happen. Like I said, there are players who skip voluntary OTAs every year, and still perform to a high level. Reggie is one of them, whether Manning was the quarterback, or last year with a bunch of new players and coaches, or this year with a new offense. Yet Reggie is always ready to go, and always gets the job done.

If the coaches or management have a problem with it, I would think that they wouldn't have signed a player that is notorious for skipping voluntary workouts as Landry is. Or they would have put a workout bonus in his contract. It's just not even worth mentioning, in my mind.

I thought this initially but I think it's lazy to just assume he's not turning up because he doesn't feel like it.

If this is the way LaRon Landry prepares for a season in the NFL then so be it. If this is what it takes for him to be ready then that's just his process, everybody's is different.

It would be interesting to know whether or not he attended the Jets OTAs.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=790011-jets-laron-landry-continues-to-skip-otas

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/trent-williams-laron-landry-skip-workout-again/2011/06/14/AGKXIiUH_blog.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/landry-takes-field-for-final-o.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Then don't call it voluntary.

If the players have the right to choose whether they are going to be at a voluntary event, then I don't think they should be criticized for not showing up. That's just my opinion, by the way, but there's a lot of angst over whether a player is at a voluntary event, and I just don't get it.

If Landry -- or any other player who isn't at these voluntary workouts -- doesn't show up to camp in shape and ready to perform, then maybe we can trace it back to him missing OTAs, but I doubt that will happen. Like I said, there are players who skip voluntary OTAs every year, and still perform to a high level. Reggie is one of them, whether Manning was the quarterback, or last year with a bunch of new players and coaches, or this year with a new offense. Yet Reggie is always ready to go, and always gets the job done.

If the coaches or management have a problem with it, I would think that they wouldn't have signed a player that is notorious for skipping voluntary workouts as Landry is. Or they would have put a workout bonus in his contract. It's just not even worth mentioning, in my mind.

This is what I'm saying.

If this is just how Landry prepares then its not a problem imo. Like you say, Reggie skips the OTAs and still shows up ready to play. This almost certainly means that he still works hard, just by himself. If Landry is the same then that's fine.

We've heard/seen from numerous sources how big he is right now so I'm sure he's working out.

This is what I'm saying.

If this is just how Landry prepares then its not a problem imo. Like you say, Reggie skips the OTAs and still shows up ready to play. This almost certainly means that he still works hard, just by himself. If Landry is the same then that's fine.

We've heard/seen from numerous sources how big he is right now so I'm sure he's working out.

Right. Take Justin Anderson, for instance, who was reportedly out of shape and couldn't handle conditioning drills during camp last year. If he skips OTAs and isn't ready to perform, then that's a problem with that player. But Landry will be in terrific shape, I'm sure.

And all told, it would be awesome if every player was at every OTA, but as long as these sessions are voluntary, some players won't be there. In most instances, they are well established players that the team can trust to take good care of themselves, so it's a non issue. I know Landry is new to the Colts, but the team guaranteed him $11m this offseason. I'm pretty sure they knew what to expect from him.

This is what I'm saying.

"What up dog", said Laron! " I am ready for action!  Watch me as I take a picture of myself."  I hope Coach Pagano is proud of my muscles... :censored: I look good...just ask me...What defense do we play here coach?  West Coast defense too? haha   I play on the West Coast sometimes...gotta go take another picture of my muscles."  "3-4?  really?  Funny thing...would not know Vontae Davis, Toler and Bethea in a line up.....I am sure they know me...wanna see my muscles?  Taking another picture...."superhero%20speed.gif

image.jpg

e

Right. Take Justin Anderson, for instance, who was reportedly out of shape and couldn't handle conditioning drills during camp last year. If he skips OTAs and isn't ready to perform, then that's a problem with that player. But Landry will be in terrific shape, I'm sure.

And all told, it would be awesome if every player was at every OTA, but as long as these sessions are voluntary, some players won't be there. In most instances, they are well established players that the team can trust to take good care of themselves, so it's a non issue. I know Landry is new to the Colts, but the team guaranteed him $11m this offseason. I'm pretty sure they knew what to expect from him.

That's pretty much my exact argument!

Was it not coming across like that?

If this is the way LaRon Landry prepares for a season in the NFL then so be it.

If LaRon Landry can better prepare himself to play defense for Manuski and Pagano by working out with someone who isn't Manuski or Pagano I'll be a monkey's uncle. It's still kinda-sorta a free country, so listening to natural movement therapists & paleo clinical nutritionists is his own business (as moronic as it is). But that nonsense combined with not showing up for OTAs when you're learning a new defense with new teammates displays some poor judgement.

But whatever, he'll either bring his A game or we'll find better talent somewhere else...this year or next.