Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OTA's Recap: 1st Session

TKnight24

I find it absolutely hilarious that people have the audacity to think that you’d be at work voluntarily when you are technically on vacation. Who cares if he’s at OTA’s I think the people that have the most to gain from OTA’s are bubble players or second year guys. Training camp and pre-season is a long and grueling process. SO who cares if they aren’t there for voluntary work outs and other team activities. If it gives them an edge working under conditions they can control better so be it. Who would wan to be in indy before they had to with the weather in the Midwest lately?    

That's pretty much my exact argument!

Was it not coming across like that?

I thought you were being more critical of Landry for not being there, specifically when you said "that's not a good argument,' that the coaches and management want their players there whether they have to be there or not. I guess I misunderstood.

Either way, there's often an angst around here whenever a player isn't at OTAs, and that includes Reggie. I just don't agree with it. 

I find it absolutely hilarious that people have the audacity to think that you’d be at work voluntarily when you are technically on vacation. Who cares if he’s at OTA’s I think the people that have the most to gain from OTA’s are bubble players or second year guys. Training camp and pre-season is a long and grueling process. SO who cares if they aren’t there for voluntary work outs and other team activities. If it gives them an edge working under conditions they can control better so be it. Who would wan to be in indy before they had to with the weather in the Midwest lately?

PREACH!!! Lol

I find it absolutely hilarious that people have the audacity to think that you’d be at work voluntarily when you are technically on vacation.

Yeah, Bethea is such a [insert ad hominem here]!

“With the new players we have, especially in the secondary, just getting that camaraderie on the field is very important.  It’s important being out here and getting it done.” - Antoine Bethea

And Andrew Luck too...

“It’s nice to be in it.  These are my first OTAs,” said Luck.  “I missed these last year.  I think it’s great to get out on the field with the defense and troubleshoot some stuff."

And especially one of the Coaches...

“OTAs are valuable. For the coaches, we get a chance to get our hands on the guys here,” said Defensive line coach Gary Emanuel “We can work with them, and we can really have them go through their techniques in all the drills we want them to do.  We can improve their fundamentals.”

What a buncha rubes.

If LaRon Landry can better prepare himself to play defense for Manuski and Pagano by working out with someone who isn't Manuski or Pagano I'll be a monkey's uncle. It's still kinda-sorta a free country, so listening to natural movement therapists & paleo clinical nutritionists is his own business (as moronic as it is). But that nonsense combined with not showing up for OTAs when you're learning a new defense with new teammates displays some poor judgement.

But whatever, he'll either bring his A game or we'll find better talent somewhere else...this year or next.

Consider the psychological side though. He'd obviously be better off at the OTAs in terms of learning the playbook etc. but that kind of environment may not help him become mentally prepared. And I think that's just as important.

This is no 9-5 job that you couldn't care less about though. It's barely even a job. Yeah, they get paid to do it but it's like being a friggin' rock star!

Consider the psychological side though. He'd obviously be better off at the OTAs in terms of learning the playbook etc. but that kind of environment may not help him become mentally prepared. And I think that's just as important.

I don't want to be dismissive but I don't really know what that means.

He has a job to do. That's all I care about. And being at the OTAs with your new coach(es), team, playbook etc, etc. is what prepares you to do your job. Not working out with a bunch of tree hugging yes men.

As far as his "mental preparation" goes, he's free to blow his cash and lay on someone's couch. But in the meantime, hungrier kids are behind him and ready to take that spot if he doesn't talk it out enough.

Richards from the star was on the radio yesterday and said the only guy who hasn't looked good so far is Luck. He quickly said Luck is also the least of our worries going forward. He was really high on Werner saying he reminds him of Wake in Miami and Holmes. He said both remind him of bethea and powers as rookies that you could just tell "got it" and would play early. He didn't sound as high on Thornton but didnt say anything bad about him either. He also didn't seem overly concerned about Toler's boot and seemed to suggest he thinks its pre-cautionary.

I don't want to be dismissive but I don't really know what that means.

He has a job to do. That's all I care about. And being at the OTAs with your new coach(es), team, playbook etc, etc. is what prepares you to do your job. Not working out with a bunch of tree hugging yes men.

As far as his "mental preparation" goes, he's free to blow his cash and lay on someone's couch. But in the meantime, hungrier kids are behind him and ready to take that spot if he doesn't talk it out enough.

This is what I mean. How on earth do you know that he's just laying on someone's couch?

Richards from the star was on the radio yesterday and said the only guy who hasn't looked good so far is Luck. He quickly said Luck is also the least of our worries going forward. He was really high on Werner saying he reminds him of Wake in Miami and Holmes. He said both remind him of bethea and powers as rookies that you could just tell "got it" and would play early. He didn't sound as high on Thornton but didnt say anything bad about him either. He also didn't seem overly concerned about Toler's boot and seemed to suggest he thinks its pre-cautionary.

I am drawing a blank on Holmes???  All I can think is Santonio, Priest and Sherlock  :spit:

I was 'concerned' that all of the OTA photos showed McGlynn at RG....maybe Thornton is not progressing the way they would like...some guys are better in pads!  McGlynn can look pretty big and mean in shorts....:)

I am drawing a blank on Holmes???  All I can think is Santonio, Priest and Sherlock  :spit:

I was 'concerned' that all of the OTA photos showed McGlynn at RG....maybe Thornton is not progressing the way they would like...some guys are better in pads!  McGlynn can look pretty big and mean in shorts.... :)

And horrible on the field!!

I am drawing a blank on Holmes??? All I can think is Santonio, Priest and Sherlock :spit:

I was 'concerned' that all of the OTA photos showed McGlynn at RG....maybe Thornton is not progressing the way they would like...some guys are better in pads! McGlynn can look pretty big and mean in shorts....:)

center from USC

Richards knows about as much football as a random guy on this forum. Not that I dislike him.

Carter will be a backup to Ballard a bigger back. Carter when given opportunities has played well. I think we carry 4 backs the new kid, Ballard, Carter, & Brown.

4 RB's when we're putting a FB in now? Doubt it. Carter is as good as gone. Our FB's have the size he brings and we already have the bruiser back in Ballard. Brown will be the change of pace back. Pagano already said so

4 RB's when we're putting a FB in now? Doubt it. Carter is as good as gone. Our FB's have the size he brings and we already have the bruiser back in Ballard. Brown will be the change of pace back. Pagano already said so

Ballard isn't a bruiser back, but I agree with your overall point.

Ballard isn't a bruiser back, but I agree with your overall point.

Let's be honest , Ballard is a combination of not great speed and not great power. He's a nice RB that gets the job done but , IMO , is just not a top RB. I would be very happy if he showed a little improvement in the passing game. 

Let's be honest , Ballard is a combination of not great speed and not great power. He's a nice RB that gets the job done but , IMO , is just not a top RB. I would be very happy if he showed a little improvement in the passing game. 

Agreed. A year ago he was a fifth rounder, and while he had some nice games for us, he's not all of a sudden this force to be reckoned with.

I think the biggest improvement in our run game is going to come from the offensive line. Make life easier on our backs, and they'll be effective. We don't really need a big bruiser back. We need better blocking.

You just described emmitt smith....of course it helps to have one the most dominating offensive lines in nfl history.

You just described emmitt smith....of course it helps to have one the most dominating offensive lines in nfl history.

Emmitt Smith was a two time All American RB , and was still the 17th pick in the draft after the bad 40 time. I think Ballard's skill set is a bit inferior to that Smith's. But yes , he also ran a poor 40 time. 

Emmitt Smith was a two time All American RB , and was still the 17th pick in the draft after the bad 40 time. I think Ballard's skill set is a bit inferior to that Smith's. But yes , he also ran a poor 40 time.

What does being a two time all american have to do with anything? The nfl bust yard is littered with all americans. Point was, there was nothing physically impressive about Smith....he just had great vision and and rarely missed an opening.

I don't really care for fast RB's. Just give me someone who doesn't fumble & has good vision. You're gonna wear the defense down more and more the longer you stay on the field. I prefer the home runs to come from play action.

But that's just me. That's how I run my offenses in Madden & NCAA. So others may disagree with my opinion on it

Pagano said he likes Carter & who says 1 of the TE's isn't the fullback or Carter himself. It will all come out in the wash, I will say if we do cut Carter which I don't believe we will he would find a new home quickly. Carter is insurance in case something happens to Ballard & the new kid we drafted may SUCK! We will see.

What does being a two time all american have to do with anything? The nfl bust yard is littered with all americans. Point was, there was nothing physically impressive about Smith....he just had great vision and and rarely missed an opening.

Thanks for the explanation. 

This is not to demean DW49, but so was Tebow....and the Heisman....prime example of an All American....bust?  (Not a bust? :))

While Ballard is likely never going to be an elite RB he could easily turn out to be very good. How do you think some of the other RBs who are considered good/elite would have looked running behind our O-line last season? Alfred Morris is almost an exact "not great speed and not great power" Ballard clone (numbers, size, and draft position) on paper. Frank Gore's numbers are very similar, and Arian Foster's speed and power numbers are slightly worse on paper. Those other three all seem to be getting along pretty well; It's almost like they had some advantage that Ballard didn't. :hmm:

40:

Ballard: 4.65 sec (4.53 at pro day)

Morris: 4.67 sec (4.62 at pro day)

Foster: 4.69 sec (only ran at pro day)

3 cone:

Ballard: 7.03 sec

Morris: 7.01 sec

Foster: 7.09 sec

20 Yd Shuttle:

Ballard: 4.19 sec

Morris: 4.19 sec

Foster: 4.53 sec

Bench:

Ballard: 23 reps

Morris: 16 reps

Foster: 23 reps

Vertical:

Ballard: 33"

Morris: 35.5"

Foster: 32"

Broad:

Ballard: 115"

Morris: 117"

Foster: 115"

While Ballard is likely never going to be an elite RB he could easily turn out to be very good. How do you think some of the other RBs who are considered good/elite would have looked running behind our O-line last season? Alfred Morris is almost an exact "not great speed and not great power" Ballard clone (numbers, size, and draft position) on paper. Frank Gore's numbers are very similar, and Arian Foster's speed and power numbers are slightly worse on paper. Those other three all seem to be getting along pretty well; It's almost like they had some advantage that Ballard didn't. :hmm:

40:

Ballard: 4.65 sec (4.53 at pro day)

Morris: 4.67 sec (4.62 at pro day)

Foster: 4.69 sec (only ran at pro day)

3 cone:

Ballard: 7.03 sec

Morris: 7.01 sec

Foster: 7.09 sec

20 Yd Shuttle:

Ballard: 4.19 sec

Morris: 4.19 sec

Foster: 4.53 sec

Bench:

Ballard: 23 reps

Morris: 16 reps

Foster: 23 reps

Vertical:

Ballard: 33"

Morris: 35.5"

Foster: 32"

Broad:

Ballard: 115"

Morris: 117"

Foster: 115"

I never considered combine work out numbers when assessing Ballard as they often don't mean much. I do think Morris is a far more powerful back than Ballard. He breaks about every arm tackle attempted on him.

Without going into a lot of detail , I'll just say I really don't know why you are taking such issue when we have a pretty similar opinion of Ballard.

I said ...

" He's a nice RB that gets the job done but , IMO , is just not a top RB. "

You said .....

"While Ballard is likely never going to be an elite RB he could easily turn out to be very good."

Not really that much different.

I compared Ballard to Foster a lot before last season. After watching him, I'm not sure that's a good comparison anymore, but Foster is a guy who just happened to get plugged into the perfect situation and took advantage of it. He's one of my very favorite backs because of the way he runs, but he also has physical limitations. And those limitations led to him going undrafted. 

Nothing against Ballard; we all like him. He's just got a ways to go before we start talking about him being a premiere back.

Last thing, I don't know how you put power onto paper. Bench press doesn't have anything to do with running with power.