Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McGlynn Watch

atapcl

There is a reason Mcglynn has been benched and is seemingly clinging to a roster spot...for now, The guy cant block, he gets overwhelmed because he stops moving his feet and plays to high allowing D Linemen to get under himand if stronger D Linemen get under him they can just bull rush him backwards especially when he stops moving his feet

Sorry Gavin....

But beyond the starters there is no way to know right now who is "clinging to a roster spot"....    You don't know.   I don't know.  No one here knows.   I don't know why you make statements like that??    And that goes for all of the back-ups,  not just McGlynn.

He might be the first back-up to be cut?    He also might make the roster.    Nobody knows.    And that comes despite your analysis of his play.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I see this, I always imagine an older English gentleman being startled then taking a sip of scotch. I don't know why I felt the need to share that, but...it's the offseason.

Startled so much that his monocle falls off? I'm right there with you.

Sorry Gavin....

But beyond the starters there is no way to know right now who is "clinging to a roster spot"....    You don't know.   I don't know.  No one here knows.   I don't know why you make statements like that??    And that goes for all of the back-ups,  not just McGlynn.

He might be the first back-up to be cut?    He also might make the roster.    Nobody knows.    And that comes despite your analysis of his play.

NCF is making good points today I can't even argue....

NCF is making good points today I can't even argue....

Sure you can!    Give it a little time.   The day is still young.    You've got plenty of time to argue.  

Something will come up that you don't like!    I've got great faith in your ability to argue!      :thmup:   

Not logically,   but you can argue with the best of them!

Sorry Gavin....

Just my analysis? I think Grigson and Paganos to or else Mcglynn would not be a bench warmer going into the season. its also a fact that if your a backup that either your just waiting to get your shot....which Mcglynn has by 3 teams now....Or your an expendable journeymen which Mcglynn has been twice thus far, a player that can make the roster do to 1 reason or another(In this case Mcglynns perceived versatility) but is not a starter, Its safe to assume Mcglynn falls under that category if were being honest, Look no further then our drafting of both Holmes and Thornton, Mcglynn may play some this year if he makes the cuts (I expect he will mainly do to the lack of many of our other Guards proving to not be able to stay healthy) considering Thomas and Thornton are the only sure Guards that will be on the team come week 1, I think he makes the roster but its not guaranteed even with his so called versatility

I still cannot see what anyone sees in McGlynn.Nothing,notta,minus a G or C and only as 3rd

Me too....but he is a pal of Grigson, and that's all he needs...and Grigs will use the 'excuse' of 'versatility' to let McGlynn make the cut.  I doubt very much Grigson lets him go REGARDLESS of who outperforms McGlynn in the camps.

Last year Mike McGlynn was the leader of the OL. He was not the best blocker but the leader non the less. This year Cherilus might take over as the OL leader. Cherilus is more vocal and was the leader at Detroit. Holmes was the OL leader at USC and will grow into one for the Colts as he gains experience. McGlynn is still valuable since he can play C and G.Will Mike McGlynn last this season to be cut next season or will one of the younger OL push him off the roster this year?

One can only pray for it!! McGlynn sucks & who said he was the leader. If he was that's one sorry leader.

He is our new punching bag for O-linemen, we have moved on from Ryan Diem and Linkenbach, haven't we? :)

When the Giants' O-linemen run blocked for Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw a few years ago, it was wonderful to watch. No big stars on that O-line, just great unison and chemistry that produced results. No matter which 5 or 6 play, as long as the same 5 or 6 play through for most of the year, I believe good chemistry will be established.

Just my analysis? I think Grigson and Paganos to or else Mcglynn would not be a bench warmer going into the season. its also a fact that if your a backup that either your just waiting to get your shot....which Mcglynn has by 3 teams now....Or your an expendable journeymen which Mcglynn has been twice thus far, a player that can make the roster do to 1 reason or another(In this case Mcglynns perceived versatility) but is not a starter, Its safe to assume Mcglynn falls under that category if were being honest, Look no further then our drafting of both Holmes and Thornton, Mcglynn may play some this year if he makes the cuts (I expect he will mainly do to the lack of many of our other Guards proving to not be able to stay healthy) considering Thomas and Thornton are the only sure Guards that will be on the team come week 1, I think he makes the roster but its not guaranteed even with his so called versatility

you couldn't be more inaccurate if you tried. mcglynn has been cut by one team in his career, the eagles. he was cut at the end of camp in 2011 and was claimed by 6 teams including the colts and awarded to the bengals. his contract expired after the 2011 season and after fielding multiple offers signed with the colts on a 2 year deal. he started every game last year and only missed one snap. get used to him. pagano, philibin and grigson love him. he ain't going anywhere. he's certainly not the best guard in the league and he's far from the worst. get 5 guys who can stay healthy and watch what happens. 49ers o line started every game last year. injuries to the first five were the colts biggest problem last year not talent.

Thomas and HT will start...     McG is not making this team.        Reitz, and Link are not locks...   and they are better G's than McG,      All bets are off...    The Colts in it to win it...

This OL was really bad last season...   There is a reason nearly the entire OL was "a point of emphasis"     in FA and the draft.

you couldn't be more inaccurate if you tried. mcglynn has been cut by one team in his career, the eagles. he was cut at the end of camp in 2011 and was claimed by 6 teams including the colts and awarded to the bengals. his contract expired after the 2011 season and after fielding multiple offers signed with the colts on a 2 year deal. he started every game last year and only missed one snap. get used to him. pagano, philibin and grigson love him. he ain't going anywhere. he's certainly not the best guard in the league and he's far from the worst. get 5 guys who can stay healthy and watch what happens. 49ers o line started every game last year. injuries to the first five were the colts biggest problem last year not talent.

If we cut him there would be teams lining up to claim him....He is a very young promising player who was tried by fire...He will be very good in time, I like him and am sticking by him, especially for the price...

This actually isn't true. Statistically he was one of worst guards in the league last year. Maybe THE worse.

More to do with the fact everyone around him sucked and youth really...You are smart enough to realize his potential I hope...

Is he gonna retire before training camp?

He will be an important piece this year, the 6th man who fills in when guys are down and I'm not counting him out starting over Thornton just yet, if it was Warford it would be a different story...I hope Thornton turns out, but I'm far from sold on the ideal, i personally think he was a big reach...It is what it is...

Link is the "player" you just described...

Why am i arguing with U?   

He will be an important piece this year, the 6th man who fills in when guys are down and I'm not counting him out starting over Thornton just yet, if it was Warford it would be a different story...I hope Thornton turns out, but I'm far from sold on the ideal, i personally think he was a big reach...It is what it is...

McGlynn isn't as bad as some may think remember he was playing alongside Winston Justice who did an ok  job  with outside speed rushers, but constantly got beat inside and needed help. There were some games against the Dolphins and Packers where Mcglynn looked like our 2nd best offensive linemen. Mcglynn would have played much better if Cherilus was the RT instead of Justice. Donald Thomas and Hugh Thornton will start at guard, but Mcglynn would be a viable back up if someone gets injured.

McGlynn isn't as bad as some may think remember he was playing alongside Winston Justice who did an ok  job  with outside speed rushers, but constantly got beat inside and needed help. There were some games against the Dolphins and Packers where Mcglynn looked like our 2nd best offensive linemen. Mcglynn would have played much better if Cherilus was the RT instead of Justice. Donald Thomas and Hugh Thornton will start at guard, but Mcglynn would be a viable back up if someone gets injured.

Very well said...He will be a valuable 6th man this year and very good a few more years down the road most likely...

Unfortunately just because you stick the word versatile on an O Lineman that dont actually make him a good O Lineman

Oh Iam not saying he has any talent I assure you he had 35 hurries and 4 sacks against him. Uhmmmm Iam only saying they kept him because he was versatile now hes gone before training camp.McGlynn should be entered in World Record books as most continuous living on your backside.

I believe Mcglynn will be as well.....But the keyword is back up and as we all know thats just another name for journey man

Not really worth starting a new topic, so I figured I'd just put it here since it's kind of relevant I guess:

PFF ranked guards by the amount of positive plays they had in the run game.

Evan Mathis was #1 with 16.10% positive plays in the run game.

Donald Thomas (our starting LG this year) ranked 2nd in the league with 16.00% positive plays in the run game.

A guy a lot of people here wanted, Louis Vaquez, ranked as the 3rd worst for positive plays in the run game with only 6.8% positive plays.

Surprisingly McGlynn wasn't in the botton 10.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/14/neils-nfl-daily-may-14-2013/

Journeymen O Linemen are claimed all the time, That dont make them good its just makes some teams desperate at times to add some depth, Mcglynn belongs on a roster but he is a career back up, A journeyman O Lineman isn't going anywhere? are you serious? He was resigned because 1.He iis said to be a versatile O Lineman-although I have yet to see that and 2.Look at the other Guards we had on our roster prior to drafting Thornton and Holmes (who will likely play Center eventually but can play LG to) you nor anyone else can name a Guard that was reasonably healthy last year thats on our roster besides him, That adds even more to the instability with depth so you retain the healthier backup O Lineman and move forward which is what the Colts looked to have done, He will probably make it through Cuts this year but dont expect him to be around long term, It wont happen

Journeymen O Linemen are claimed all the time, That dont make them good its just makes some teams desperate at times to add some depth, Mcglynn belongs on a roster but he is a career back up, A journeyman O Lineman isn't going anywhere? are you serious? He was resigned because 1.He iis said to be a versatile O Lineman-although I have yet to see that and 2.Look at the other Guards we had on our roster prior to drafting Thornton and Holmes (who will likely play Center eventually but can play LG to) you nor anyone else can name a Guard that was reasonably healthy last year thats on our roster besides him, That adds even more to the instability with depth so you retain the healthier backup O Lineman and move forward which is what the Colts looked to have done, He will probably make it through Cuts this year but dont expect him to be around long term, It wont happen

Not really worth starting a new topic, so I figured I'd just put it here since it's kind of relevant I guess:

PFF ranked guards by the amount of positive plays they had in the run game.

Evan Mathis was #1 with 16.10% positive plays in the run game.

Donald Thomas (our starting LG this year) ranked 2nd in the league with 16.00% positive plays in the run game.

A guy a lot of people here wanted, Louis Vaquez, ranked as the 3rd worst for positive plays in the run game with only 6.8% positive plays.

Surprisingly McGlynn wasn't in the botton 10.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/14/neils-nfl-daily-may-14-2013/

Not surprising....1 weak leak in an offensive line makes everyone else worse cause they are trying to compensate...Provided another year to get stronger and more comfortable with the scheme and better players around him he will be more than adequate.....

eagles went from the #2 offense and a playoff team with mcglynn and justice starting. mudd cut mcglynn and benched justice and they were awful on offense.  say what you want but mcglynn has been in the playoffs every year he's been in the league. i think he's the best center and the best guard on the colts. he'll certainly start and is more reliable than thomas in my opinion. reitz looks to be the odd man out. thornton has a lot to learn and i doubt a playoff team is looking to start a rookie right guard next to a small ineffective center in satele. again if the first 5 stay healthy i think they'll be fine. injuries were the biggest problem last year. 3 guys played center. 4 guys played left guard and 3 guys played right tackle. no continuity at all. 5 average guys functioning as one unit is better than 5 all pros who don't.

More to do with the fact everyone around him sucked and youth really...You are smart enough to realize his potential I hope...

He is NOT GOOD there was I play last year that by the time he set up to pass protect the DT was already by him he whiffed never touching him. He is at best a Fair run blocker & that's being nice & a crappy pass blocker, he is a weak link slow & other teams expose & exploit him. He had tools coming out of college but I don't see them.

The irony is that people thought Louis Vasquez was better on the run blocking front because he was 335 lbs while the facts show that he was great pass blocking but average run blocking. For a team that needs to pass while facing those big NTs in the middle, he is the kind of guy you want in a passing offense.

That is why the Broncos went after him, his pass blocking was superior to any of the other guards they had and their guards got pushed back consistently into Peyton's face that Peyton took more underneath stuff and did not attempt as many shots down the field either in the Ravens game. Plus, Vasquez commits few penalties and has few negative plays even though he may not get great push in the run game. A big reason the Broncos management signed Vasquez right away.

Also, the run game push was a big plus in favor of Donald Thomas for Grigson to sign him. You think the rain man of scouting does not look at sabermetrics as it pertains to football (though the term originated for baseball, I am using it here loosely)? :)

eagles went from the #2 offense and a playoff team with mcglynn and justice starting. mudd cut mcglynn and benched justice and they were awful on offense.  say what you want but mcglynn has been in the playoffs every year he's been in the league. i think he's the best center and the best guard on the colts. he'll certainly start and is more reliable than thomas in my opinion. reitz looks to be the odd man out. thornton has a lot to learn and i doubt a playoff team is looking to start a rookie right guard next to a small ineffective center in satele. again if the first 5 stay healthy i think they'll be fine. injuries were the biggest problem last year. 3 guys played center. 4 guys played left guard and 3 guys played right tackle. no continuity at all. 5 average guys functioning as one unit is better than 5 all pros who don't.

This is ridiculous logic. 

McGlynn was cut because he was terrible and one of the weak links in Philly's line in 2010. Also claiming the rank of the offense is ridiculous. We were the 10th ranked offense last year and we started Seth Olsen. That doesn't make Seth Olsen good.

To claim that he's better than Thomas is laughable. Thomas doesn't give up pass pressure and isn't useless in the run game like McGlynn is. Using your logic above Thomas is better because he blocked for the 2nd best offense in league history.

"say what you want but mcglynn has been in the playoffs every year he's been in the league"

This means nothing. Half of those times he was a backup.

"i think he's the best center and the best guard on the colts."

3rd best center and probably the 4th best guard on his own team. Again Thomas in his short time playing has proved that he's infinitely better than McGlynn. Satele is mediocre, but no way is he on par with McGlynn.