Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walden/Werner

atapcl

He is good with setting the edge, But a stuff is tackling a running back for no gain to negative yards and he has 5 of those (according to espn since NFL.com does not keep track of that) the last 2 years

Okay Gavin, I guess what I'm trying to say boils down to two words:

So what?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Gavin, I guess what I'm trying to say boils down to two words:

So what?

My point being ....yes he is alright with setting the edge, But eventually he will have to make plays, such as stuffs or tackles for loss, Its just about setting the edge as extremely important as that is

My point being ....yes he is alright with setting the edge, But eventually he will have to make plays, such as stuffs or tackles for loss, Its just about setting the edge as extremely important as that is

Try this....one defense had a Dline that gets shoved around like a rented mule, and the LB core actually does a great job of tackling, but does so a few yards down the field, and another defense has a Dline that operates like a steel curtain, and their average LB core gets to make plays behind the LOS.

Stops for loss is incredibly misleading unless you study the film of every snap that the defender has played.

Try this....one defense had a Dline that gets shoved around like a rented mule, and the LB core actually does a great job of tackling, but does so a few yards down the field, and another defense has a Dline that operates like a steel curtain, and their average LB core gets to make plays behind the LOS.

Stops for loss is incredibly misleading unless you study the film of every snap that the defender has played.

That may have been more along the lines of what happened but when I watched some games using the All 22 film it just looked to me sometimes like our Linecker core was out of position entirely on many of the long runs

That may have been more along the lines of what happened but when I watched some games using the All 22 film it just looked to me sometimes like our Linecker core was out of position entirely on many of the long runs

In other words, they did not set the edge (OLBs in many games, but JXF, HOU, and KC were the worst).  I think Walden will shine in our 3-4.....a guy by the name of Redding will be close to him.   :thmup:

One thing about Redding, when he is healthy and not dinged up, he is rarely out of position.  Glad to have him as a leader...as well as some good defensive coaches!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

In other words, they did not set the edge (OLBs in many games, but JXF, HOU, and KC were the worst).  I think Walden will shine in our 3-4.....a guy by the name of Redding will be close to him.   :thmup:

One thing about Redding, when he is healthy and not dinged up, he is rarely out of position.  Glad to have him as a leader...as well as some good defensive coaches!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

They were all out of position at various points or another but the play I speak of, had what looked to be Conner out of position on that long 59 yard run by MJD....Of course Redding got taken down on a Down Block to from the looks of it

They were all out of position at various points or another but the play I speak of, had what looked to be Conner out of position on that long 59 yard run by MJD....Of course Redding got taken down on a Down Block to from the looks of it

Everybody as we know gets beaten once in awhile....some more than others  haha unfortunately!!! (Vaughn) I thought you were talking Werner/Walden my bad.

The play you are referring to was horrendous...the hole was huge....would have to see the film to see if Conner was out of position for a reason.  LB call.....thinking pass....and we get the JXF killer delayed draw...killed us for how many years?  :)

Everybody as we know gets beaten once in awhile....some more than others  haha unfortunately!!! (Vaughn) I thought you were talking Werner/Walden my bad.

The play you are referring to was horrendous...the hole was huge....would have to see the film to see if Conner was out of position for a reason.  LB call.....thinking pass....and we get the JXF killer delayed draw...killed us for how many years?   :)

If I remember correctlly Redding got taken down on a Down Block while all 3 linebackers were flowing to the play side  but it looked like Conner over pursuited or perhaps Freeman was supposed to fill that gap, I think Conner though, Oh well like you said, everyone gets beat sometimes, Just some more then others...And then there is Cassius Vaughn :funny:

If I remember correctlly Redding got taken down on a Down Block while all 3 linebackers were flowing to the play side  but it looked like Conner over pursuited or perhaps Freeman was supposed to fill that gap, I think Conner though, Oh well like you said, everyone gets beat sometimes, Just some more then others...And then there is Cassius Vaughn :funny:

The only thing to get beaten more than Vaughn last year is a drum on (fill in your favorite rock drummer) 's kit.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Walden can bring to this defense. I don't care how "bad" people say he was up in Green Bay cause that entire Defense sucks. Can't wait to see what he does with a better defense and our defensive masterminds in Pagano & Manusky

I'm looking forward to seeing what Walden can bring to this defense. I don't care how "bad" people say he was up in Green Bay cause that entire Defense sucks. Can't wait to see what he does with a better defense and our defensive masterminds in Pagano & Manusky

Hey, I am hopeful as well and as fans we might as well be.....he is ours now....like it or not, so if he wears the shoe I want him to be good......but I like many, am still scratching the cranial cavity like a chimp with fleas about the move

I hope he improves this year personally and in his new role in the defensive backfield...but I swear thermal vision, 3-d glasses and night vision goggles wouldn't have helped that cat last year

LIKE (How am I out this early?)

1 good game...1

Then the rest he never saw the ball...he had his back turned.....and we re-signed him....good thing no guaranteed money....then again neither does Freeman....

LIKE (How am I out this early?)

1 good game...1

Then the rest he never saw the ball...he had his back turned.....and we re-signed him....good thing no guaranteed money....then again neither does Freeman....

I am right there with ya' on the assessment.....and I can't recall, but I want to say he was an ERFA so the re-signing  was minimal and had value he didn't need to be issued any new equipment......saving the team hundreds :)

I am right there with ya' on the assessment.....and I can't recall, but I want to say he was an ERFA so the re-signing  was minimal and had value he didn't need to be issued any new equipment......saving the team hundreds :)

The Walden signing Im not concerned with do to how the deal is structured, I dont expect him to be a world beater but I do expect him to be able to set the edge and get the ocassional tackle for loss along with Stuff, Thats not the perfect indicator that he is good at stopping the run because when holding containment that wont show up in the stat category but he will have his chances as well to make tackles behind or at the LOS

My point being ....yes he is alright with setting the edge, But eventually he will have to make plays, such as stuffs or tackles for loss, Its just about setting the edge as extremely important as that is

And what I'm saying is that a player doesn't necessarily have to rack up stuffs or TFLs in order to be considered a good run defender.

Just the same as a defensive back doesn't have to rack up picks or deflections to be a good cover man.

And what I'm saying is that a player doesn't necessarily have to rack up stuffs or TFLs in order to be considered a good run defender.

Just the same as a defensive back doesn't have to rack up picks or deflections to be a good cover man.

No I know that of course but at the end of the day if you have several players especially in your front 7 who are not getting much in terms of stuffs or even tackles for loss its a pretty safe bet your getting your getting the ball ran down your throat, Just like if you have Corners that are not getting much in terms of pass deflections or even ints its a safe bet your being thrown on at will

Walden is one of the top paid LBs on the team. Werner is the top pick. Maybe they can both play at the same time. Why not try one at ILB (possibly Walden). Walden is big enough, fast enough and strong enough. He also has NFL experience though it is as an OLB. Last year we moved Foukou to ILB though he had played OLB. We could have Werner and Mathis as OLBs with Freeman and Walden as ILBs. Sidbury and McNary could provide depth at OLB and Angerer with Conner backups at ILB.

I'd try it just to see if its a upgrade over Conner, in preseason.

He is at 1 yr $1,323,000. He already had his helmet to see behind his head haha  :lol:  :funny:

Looking at spotrac, we can get a sense of the players who are on the bubble with zeros in the guaranteed slots:  Vaughn, Linkenbach (although he has durability vaue/versatility) Harvey (ST did well) Nathan Palmer, Ricardo Mathews, Joe Reitz, Josh Gordy and a surprise to me Fili Moala.  He was injured....coming back with a one year contract with ZERO guaranteed.

Back to topic.....was interesting to me when looking at Vaughn's numbers.

This topic was already covered. Werner is going to most likely be a situational / 3rd down OLB.

Some of us had mentioned he is similar to Kruger of now Cleveland...he is more than likely BETTER than Kruger.  With every down being a possible passing down, I personally think he may be inserted all around the LB spots to disguise   He could move down before the snap and make us a 4-3 in a moment;s notice and vice versa....some cool stuff can happen with this guy. :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I think we will see more 5 LB sets. Pagano liked using that in Baltimore.

I think with Mathis, Werner, Freeman, Sheppard, and Hughes/Walden we could create some pressure while confusing the offense.

That's what I recall.  I thought they lined up in all kinds of crazy fronts.  Two down linemen, everybody else standing up and bouncing around, that sort of thing....

The Walden signing Im not concerned with do to how the deal is structured, I dont expect him to be a world beater but I do expect him to be able to set the edge and get the ocassional tackle for loss along with Stuff, Thats not the perfect indicator that he is good at stopping the run because when holding containment that wont show up in the stat category but he will have his chances as well to make tackles behind or at the LOS

Crunked was referring to Cassius Vaughn...we went off topic....with number URRGH 32 (What a discrace to that number)

I feel Walden's chances behind the line of scrimmage are going to b

e blitz packages (obvious) Over pursuit (That is not sealing the edge) and Read option/Pistol offenses. (have to be ready for the QB...QB needs to be hit)  I cannot wait to see our disguises...and see how well Walden 'stays home !!!' :coltslogo:   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I think we will see more 5 LB sets. Pagano liked using that in Baltimore.

I think with Mathis, Werner, Freeman, Sheppard, and Hughes/Walden we could create some pressure while confusing the offense.

Werner is PERFECT to confuse/disguise defenses.  We can disguise with a 4-3....as you say he can drop back for 5 Backers (Designated to bat the ball down as he is know to do :) like Watt.

So many stunts and disguises we could go with!!!  I hoe we do not fool OURSELVES :funny: !!!

This topic was already covered. Werner is going to most likely be a situational / 3rd down OLB.

That's just wasting his abilities. He's as good of a run defender as he is a pass rusher. The guy is an every down player with his versatility and it wouldn't surprise me by the end of the year if he plays more snaps than the rest of the OLB's.

@KBowenColts: Manusky says the coaches will try and find ways to get Bjoern Werner and Erik Walden on the field together, along with Robert Mathis.

Don't know how that's going to work, but it will be interesting to see

Nickel packages (4-3) with Werner/Mathis playing DE and Walden - Freeman - Conner/Angerer as LB's I'm guessing.

EDIT: Now that's got me thinking. Freeman and Walden could end up as the WILL/SAM with both of them better in coverage and Conner/Angerer at MIKE.

Nickel packages (4-3) with Werner/Mathis playing DE and Walden - Freeman - Conner as LB's I'm guessing.

Nickel means bringing in an extra 5th DB with 2 LBs on the field(4-2-5), or it could be the 3-3-5 nickel package but we didn't use that nickel formation last year

Nickel packages (4-3) with Werner/Mathis playing DE and Walden - Freeman - Conner as LB's I'm guessing.

EDIT: Now that's got me thinking. Freeman and Walden could end up as the WILL/SAM with both of them better in coverage and Conner at MIKE.

Just read your posts...out of likes....we are thinking very much alike here...I am using disguise/you pointing out packages.  Werner will be on the field as much as they can confusing from hand down and standing up....we are going to be glad that we did not get Kruger for the big bucks.

For Gavin and NewColtsFan......Werner learnng a complex 3-4 system OLB slot quickly is NOT this common.  I was wrong on him on the small DE types....looks like he has it...only a couple of days in though!! (See I admit when I am wrong :))  

We have so much competition at almost every position.

I can not remember a year where we've had more depth than this year.

It is going to be a shame seeing some of these cuts....look at the LBs including Werner....some guys we were hoping would make it will not....almost at every spot except secondary in my opinion...we need some fresh blood back there...at CB in particular.

Nickel means bringing in an extra 5th DB with 2 LBs on the field(4-2-5), or it could be the 3-3-5 nickel package but we didn't use that nickel formation last year

:facepalm: myself bad... I knew this and was just thinking of how they would incorporate the 3 up front forgetting about the 5th DB. 

Ok lets try this again haha...

I would have to think (4-2-5) Werner/Mathis as DE's and Walden/Freeman as LB's to get them all on the field at the same time.

:facepalm: myself bad... I knew this and was just thinking of how they would incorporate the 3 up front forgetting about the 5th DB.

Ok lets try this again haha...

I would have to think (4-2-5) Werner/Mathis as DE's and Walden/Freeman as LB's to get them all on the field at the same time.

That's the only way I can see it happening as of now

Some of us had mentioned he is similar to Kruger of now Cleveland...he is more than likely BETTER than Kruger. With every down being a possible passing down, I personally think he may be inserted all around the LB spots to disguise He could move down before the snap and make us a 4-3 in a moment;s notice and vice versa....some cool stuff can happen with this guy. :colts::colts::colts:

But the thing is, that situational third down cane straight from pagano's mouth

That's just wasting his abilities. He's as good of a run defender as he is a pass rusher. The guy is an every down player with his versatility and it wouldn't surprise me by the end of the year if he plays more snaps than the rest of the OLB's.

Again, this came straight from pagano. Third down use.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130426/SPORTS/130429734/1054

He also said this along with the third down comments:

“First and second down ... he’s an edge-setter,” Pagano said. “We always talk about those guys being able to set the edge in the run game. He can certainly do that.