Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sixth round selection: John Boyett, safety, Oregon.

trueblueblood

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allegedly as in "this can't possibly be proven". Also, I'm not a big fan of the word "football IQ", as it's basically just a reference to instincts and muscle memory when it comes to football.

Well it can be proven, I've been to several practices and seen it. And football IQ is not the same as instincts. He lives in the film room and wants to coach when he's done playing, definitely different than simply having instincts.

You really have a knack for proving yourself uneducated. He had a single knee injury in the first game and was lost for the season. Missed one game his first three years of playing, leading the Ducks in tackles twice.

Look at his body and tell me he will hold up in the NFL..it's not the pac-12..I hope he becomes the next John Lynch but i doubt it...

Well it can be proven, I've been to several practices and seen it. And football IQ is not the same as instincts. He lives in the film room and wants to coach when he's done playing, definitely different than simply having instincts.

My point is: "Football IQ" is an inexact, unscientific measurement. It's purely fiction.

Now, I don't disagree with your assessment of the player itself. I disagree with whether his so-called "football IQ" has been proven, since it does not technically exist.

Yeah, it's not like he can clean over 300 or anything. He's weak. Anyways, I'm not going to waste my time and go back and forth with you.

Cool...your opinion..I hope he does, just looks frail for an NFL safety and I think Bullitt is the perfect comparison and Bullitt was good when he wasn't hurt.

My point is: "Football IQ" is an inexact, unscientific measurement. It's purely fiction.

Now, I don't disagree with your assessment of the player itself. I disagree with whether his so-called "football IQ" has been proven, since it does not technically exist.

I could design a scientific test for football IQ, rather easily actually. Depends on the operationalization and conceptualization of the measurements. But it could easily be generalizable to all football players with external validity and comparability.

I could design a scientific test for football IQ, rather easily actually. Depends on the operationalization and conceptualization of the measurements. But it could easily be generalizable to all football players with external validity and comparability.

Trying to beat me with fancy words, eh?

There are no measurements on football IQ, because it does not exist. It exists purely as fiction, as it's just another word for "smarts on the football field", which has a lot of variables.

Now, I'm not saying those variables cannot be studied (which is what all the scouting is for), but seeing as it's just a media-fuelled word, with a lot of different interpretations, it's impossible to tell for sure whether a player has a high football IQ or not.

It's the same as with "intelligence". What makes up intelligence? There are a lot of different variables used here. As a standard concept, we use "IQ" to measure logical intellect. However, this doesn't sum up a lot of things, that would constitute "intelligence" in a broader sense. As an example, it doesn't take memory into consideration. In this case, we can measure "IQ", which in some circles are used synonymously with "intelligence". It however doesn't tell the whole story, yet at least it's measureable.

"Football IQ" is made up of a whole lot of variables, including (in my own interpretation) IQ, muscle memory/instinct. However, in itself - seeing as it isn't defined, and the variables aren't either - it's unmeasureable, and thus cannot be proven.

Cool...your opinion..I hope he does, just looks frail for an NFL safety and I think Bullitt is the perfect comparison and Bullitt was good when he wasn't hurt.

Boyett is 5'10" and 205.

You know who else is that size?    Matt Elam,  first round draft pick.  

His issue is staying healthy.   Our doctors have cleared him, that's why we drafted him and not tried to sign him as a free agent.

I don't think you know your *** from a whole in the wall.

Boyett is 5'10" and 205.

You know who else is that size?    Matt Elam,  first round draft pick.  

His issue is staying healthy.   Our doctors have cleared him, that's why we drafted him and not tried to sign him as a free agent.

I don't think you know your *** from a whole in the wall.

Lol...i don't know much about him...he looks much smaller than that on tape to me...I come from the Bruce Drennan , Chuck Colletti school and if you know the business like you say you do then you know what I mean...Listen, I hope he turns out well for us, but I liked Shamarko Thomas,and Baccari Rambo much better and even Ray Ray, but in Griswald I trust..

Trying to beat me with fancy words, eh?

There are no measurements on football IQ, because it does not exist. It exists purely as fiction, as it's just another word for "smarts on the football field", which has a lot of variables.

Now, I'm not saying those variables cannot be studied (which is what all the scouting is for), but seeing as it's just a media-fuelled word, with a lot of different interpretations, it's impossible to tell for sure whether a player has a high football IQ or not.

It's the same as with "intelligence". What makes up intelligence? There are a lot of different variables used here. As a standard concept, we use "IQ" to measure logical intellect. However, this doesn't sum up a lot of things, that would constitute "intelligence" in a broader sense. As an example, it doesn't take memory into consideration. In this case, we can measure "IQ", which in some circles are used synonymously with "intelligence". It however doesn't tell the whole story, yet at least it's measureable.

"Football IQ" is made up of a whole lot of variables, including (in my own interpretation) IQ, muscle memory/instinct. However, in itself - seeing as it isn't defined, and the variables aren't either - it's unmeasureable, and thus cannot be proven.

Not trying to "beat" you with fancy words lol. Simply an intellectual discussion. In science we do not prove anything, we only disprove hypotheses (not semantics). One could delineate the variables to test a series of hypotheses for measuring football IQ. Whether or not those hypotheses would suffice all is certainly debatable, but one could certainly scientifically evaluate players based on intelligence, muscle memory, instinct etc.

his arms and legs r twigs

He did more on the bench press than a lot of LBs and DT/OL guys...but apparently that doesn't matter...

And from the looks of things, your guy Da'Rick isn't getting drafted...so does that mean they'll have to cancel the Super Bowl this year? I mean since all of the teams were too dumb to draft him, none of 'em are good enough to win it anyhow...

Per Scouts inc:

"Possesses upper echelon instincts and diagnostic skills. Clearly does his homework and shows an understanding of opposing offenses formations, tendencies and route combinations. Plays with discipline and very rarely is caught out of position. Does a nice job of reading quarterbacks eyes allowing him to get an early jump on breaks. Also flashes route recognition and anticipation skills."

Lol...i don't know much about him...he looks much smaller than that on tape to me...I come from the Bruce Drennan , Chuck Colletti school and if you know the business like you say you do then you know what I mean...Listen, I hope he turns out well for us, but I liked Shamarko Thomas,and Baccari Rambo much better and even Ray Ray, but in Griswald I trust..

Well....

I looked up both....   the Chuck Colletti results were nothing.   No one in sports by that name.   So, it doesn't register for me, sorry.

Bruce Drennan is a radio guy from Cleveland.   His schtick is "tell it like it is...."    LOL.    

Guys like that "tell it like it is" because they often don't know what they're talking about.   Their opinion is more important than facts.   They typically do little if any homework because facts get in the way of their opinion....   

Well....

I looked up both....   the Chuck Colletti results were nothing.   No one in sports by that name.   So, it doesn't register for me, sorry.

Bruce Drennan is a radio guy from Cleveland.   His schtick is "tell it like it is...."    LOL.    

Guys like that "tell it like it is" because they often don't know what they're talking about.   Their opinion is more important than facts.   They typically do little if any homework because facts get in the way of their opinion....   

Both are radio and tv guys and have nightly sports shows where fans can call in.... Galeti is a news guy too..Something the Indianapolis market is severely lacking and I don't understand it..We have a little 2 minute segment on the news and that's it....It's actually Chuck Galeti my fault and he has a nightly show called last call...

Both are radio and tv guys and have nightly sports shows where fans can call in.... Galeti is a news guy too..Something the Indianapolis market is severely lacking and I don't understand it..We have a little 2 minute segment on the news and that's it....It's actually Chuck Galeti my fault and he has a nightly show called last call...

Interesting....   I couldn't find the name Colletti connected to news or sports?

Wonder if the spelling is different?     Seems incredibly odd for a figure not to have a media page on a TV station website, or a facebook page,  or a linkedin page....     something like that....    but,  couldn't find one...

Either way....    no biggie....   the day is done....    and it's been long...

Now,  we have to sign free agents in the next 36 hours....

He did more on the bench press than a lot of LBs and DT/OL guys...but apparently that doesn't matter...

And from the looks of things, your guy Da'Rick isn't getting drafted...so does that mean they'll have to cancel the Super Bowl this year? I mean since all of the teams were too dumb to draft him, none of 'em are good enough to win it anyhow...

I was never that high on Da'rick, I liked Rambo and Shamarko Thomas at safety much better, but I hope this kid works out I really do..

Interesting....   I couldn't find the name Colletti connected to news or sports?

Wonder if the spelling is different?     Seems incredibly odd for a figure not to have a media page on a TV station website, or a facebook page,  or a linkedin page....     something like that....    but,  couldn't find one...

Either way....    no biggie....   the day is done....    and it's been long...

Now,  we have to sign free agents in the next 36 hours....

Chuck Galeti..my fault..We need 1 here.

That team had no where to go but up??? Anyone could have started over the te's and wr's we had except Wayne...He hit on Jerrel Freeman, but missed on Satele and Justice...Hardly a genius and anybody and their mom would have picked Luck 1st..

Yeah because justice is the long term answer that isn't with the team any more just to make sure I am following your logic

Here's Boyett's Colts write-up....

I think it's clear his draft stock was heavily impacted by the fact that he missed almost his entire year due to a knee injury.

Because the years he played,  he played at a very high level.  Twice leading Oregon in tackles...

http://blogs.colts.com/2013/04/27/instant-reaction-s-john-boyett-with-the-no-192-pick/?icampaign=blog_ind_blogfeed_entry

Somebody linked his hi-light tape earlier in this thread....   and what I liked most about it is his high-lights seem to come in the biggest games...

Two different Rose Bowls...   games vs. USC, Stanford, Oregon State, Cal, Tennessee and on and on...

He didn't rack up big states playing the scrub teams.   I think he's a solid player....  now, can he stay healthy...

You really have a knack for proving yourself uneducated. He had a single knee injury in the first game and was lost for the season. Missed one game his first three years of playing, leading the Ducks in tackles twice.

Why does Oregon's D always give up so many points??

Not trying to "beat" you with fancy words lol. Simply an intellectual discussion. In science we do not prove anything, we only disprove hypotheses (not semantics). One could delineate the variables to test a series of hypotheses for measuring football IQ. Whether or not those hypotheses would suffice all is certainly debatable, but one could certainly scientifically evaluate players based on intelligence, muscle memory, instinct etc.

No one said otherwise.

I was talking about "proof" in a legal sense though. As in "someone or something is writing this message, and the fact that you can read it is proof". What I mean is: As long as you define a measureable standard, test results (assuming proper test reliability) would consitute proof. Since there is no defined measureable standard, there can be no proof of said player's football IQ.

Guarantee you we wanted Rambo. I love this pick though.

I really dont think so...This guy is actually rated better than rambo by Nfl,com draft tracker.  If Not for his injury  (played one game in 2012 season  and decided best to have the surgery to his knees) He would've had a 2nd grade by Mcshay and Kiper if not for the injury. Guy has killer instincts and ball skills.

Looks like he knows to tackle the waiste & legs and not to launch himself straight into a guys chest ala the Eraser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUGGfyAXTzo

Thats what I was hoping.....Then I saw this on the very first play, I like him and hope I am way wrong and I eat crow but he has Bob Sanders written all over him....already has an injury history, surgery on both knees 

his arms and legs r twigs

For what it's worth, Boyett led all Oregon defensive backs during winter conditioning for the 2011 season with a 3.91 shuttle and finished second in the power clean and squat, which he did at 314 and 415 pounds, respectively. Also did 27 reps at combine 2nd among DBs